Snes

TB333

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
So, Super Nintendo fans, any Snes game you would (or do) play today? For me, I can always play donkey kong country (my first video game) or super mario world. But one of my alltime favorites will always be illusion of gaia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusion_of_Gaia

Its part of the Soul blazer series. I love Terranigma to ( first game to ever make me tear up) but I dont think it had an official release in the US. Anyone remember snes games that hold up?

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 41919
Two words - Mario Paint.

In terms of “real games”, though, Star Fox is probably my go-to, though I am a fan of EVO: Search for Eden as well. (If I’m being honest, I also have a soft spot for the fighting game Ballz 3-D, although many people on the internet seem to absolutely hate it.)

I skipped a lot of the classics here, but I’ll be honest:

I like Earthbound, but I played the hell out of that as a kid. I’d be far more likely to go back to Mother 3 than to that entry, as I still haven’t finished that game (I’m not good at the rhythm combo aspect, so I got stuck on the Mecha Drago fight on my cartridge version of the translation.)

Super Mario World is a good game, but I rarely find myself in the mood to just sit down and play a Mario game. I don’t know what it is - I just never really get into it.

I’ve never owned the SNES version of Donkey Kong Country - only the GBA version, which is how I first experienced it. I’ve played through most of in emulation, but never really tried the sequels.

The same goes for Chrono Trigger - I first played that on the DS, only later rediscovering it for the SNES. I like the sort of sci-fi time travel storyline, but I never fell in love with it, mainly due to other games piquing my attention at the time.

I really like the SNES version of Sim Ant, too, but never owned that on cartridge - I’ve only played it via emulation. If I ever bought it, though, that would go on my list too.

Last edited:
omg i was so obsessed with sim city as a kid.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
even to this day you may hear me humming the village theme randomly with someone I am in voice with.

My aunt had to laminate the manual cuz i would just bring it everywhere and read it when I couldn't play it.
then later on this....:
this game is why I got into FF (because squareSOFT (ef SE btw) made it and RPGs in general
river and forest.. shocked forest ended up as a meme

Last edited:
ManeWulf said:
Two words - Mario Paint.

In terms of “real games”, though, Star Fox is probably my go-to, though I am a fan of EVO: Search for Eden as well. (If I’m being honest, I also have a soft spot for the fighting game Ballz 3-D, although many people on the internet seem to absolutely hate it.)

I skipped a lot of the classics here, but I’ll be honest:

I like Earthbound, but I played the hell out of that as a kid. I’d be far more likely to go back to Mother 3 than to that entry, as I still haven’t finished that game (I’m not good at the rhythm combo aspect, so I got stuck on the Mecha Drago fight on my cartridge version of the translation.)

Super Mario World is a good game, but I rarely find myself in the mood to just sit down and play a Mario game. I don’t know what it is - I just never really get into it.

I’ve never owned the SNES version of Donkey Kong Country - only the GBA version, which is how I first experienced it. I’ve played through most of in emulation, but never really tried the sequels.

The same goes for Chrono Trigger - I first played that on the DS, only later rediscovering it for the SNES. I like the sort of sci-fi time travel storyline, but I never fell in love with it, mainly due to other games piquing my attention at the time.

I really like the SNES version of Sim Ant, too, but never owned that on cartridge - I’ve only played it via emulation. If I ever bought it, though, that would go on my list too.

Man, mother 3...... the more human responses to death in that game broke me a little (I love it though, cant beat a well written tragedy)
Heres an article talking a bit about it.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/what-mother-3-taught-me-about-death-grieving-and-two-by-fours

Chrono trigger is best on ds (sorry snes). Theres so much extra content. More story, can train monsters and even full maps. Good stuff.

Snes simcity is good to.

Last edited:
CutePrincess said:
omg i was so obsessed with sim city as a kid.
even to this day you may hear me humming the village theme randomly with someone I am in voice with.

My aunt had to laminate the manual cuz i would just bring it everywhere and read it when I couldn't play it.
then later on this....:
this game is why I got into FF (because squareSOFT (ef SE btw) made it and RPGs in general
river and forest.. shocked forest ended up as a meme

Square does good stuff. My favoruite final fantasy is 6. Very complex story, with twists and turns. The subject matter is dark to, dealing with things like mental illness, loss, death (theres even an attempted suicide if you mess up an event) while still holding on to themes of hope.
7 is good in third place with it great world and characters. But 8 beats it as my second best with its living world (for the ps1 anyways) and I feel squall with his "cant say the right think, so ill be silent" introvert style.

TB333 said:
Square does good stuff. My favoruite final fantasy is 6. Very complex story, with twists and turns. The subject matter is dark to, dealing with things like mental illness, loss, death (theres even an attempted suicide if you mess up an event) while still holding on to themes of hope.
7 is good in third place with it great world and characters. But 8 beats it as my second best with its living world (for the ps1 anyways) and I feel squall with his "cant say the right think, so ill be silent" introvert style.
tbh i think it really went downhill 12 on, yes i do include 11, was a good online game and putting graphics aside as for functionally, ffxi back in its day is much better off then ffxiv now. i really do think the merger did not pay the creative side favors, for whatever reason.

9 had nice development of everyone.

TB333 said:
For me, I can always play donkey kong country
* DKC, definitely. I was a freshman in college when that came out, and my roommate and I spent so much time playing it. Definitely takes me back. Plus it's just a fun game, IMO. Never got into either of the sequels, although I know a lot of people prefer #2.

* Super Metroid is another one of my favorites, but I dabbled into speedrunning it a while back, and ever since then I can't manage to play it casually. D'oh!

* Super Mario World. I don't play this one a lot, but I've played it through start-to-finish a couple of times in the last five years. Probably my favorite 2D Mario.

Couple of odd ones:

* Super Turrican. Ultra-90's soundtrack and just generally a fun platformer-shooter/run-and-gun. Perhaps someday I'll end up with an Analogue Super Nt so that I can play the uncut version.

* Lost Vikings. Son and I enjoy playing this one periodically. It's a quirky puzzle-platformer with a cooperative mode.

---

I really liked StarFox back in the day, but I have a hard time playing any 3D stuff from the 90's. Somehow it manages to feel way more dated than stuff from the 80's, heh.

Last edited:
Cottontail said:
I really liked StarFox back in the day, but I have a hard time playing any 3D stuff from the 90's. Somehow it manages to feel way more dated than stuff from the 80's, heh.
music maybe? but i doono how it would feel more dated then 80s.. maybe late 80s? early 80s didn't have much XD

CutePrincess said:
music maybe? but i doono how it would feel more dated then 80s.. maybe late 80s? early 80s didn't have much XD
Nah, it's the graphics. By the late 80's and early 90's, console hardware had gotten pretty good at covering the screen with detailed 2D graphics. When 3D hit, it was like a giant reset. Everything was ugly again--but in 3D! There was a novelty to that additional dimension, but in many ways it looked like a step backwards. It wasn't until the PS2 and GameCube that I felt like, "Ok, 3D is finally here."

I didn’t grow up with the SNES but I do like the type of games they have on the system to play. I have my heart set on playing Super Mario RPG when I get the time to. There’s something really interesting about it that makes me want to play it.

Otherwise, Earthbound. Another super quirky game, sad that there was no outside releases for the sequels though.

I went from NES to Genesis. I never had an actual SNES, but my favorites are probably the Final Fantasy games.

I was the right age to grow up with SNES, but I never had one. Instead, my mom bought me an original NES; if I recall correctly, she bought it from a classified ad from a family who were selling it to buy an SNES. I'm sure she didn't probably didn't know the difference between the two. :p

I also went from NES to Genesis, but I was never all that into console games. Once I discovered PC games, that's where I stayed.

Yoshi's Island is still one of the best platformers ever, and I'm really happy I own a SNES Classic so I can enjoy the game whenever I like.

Back