Guest viewing is limited
  • Guests can only view a limited number of pages. Please log in or register to remove this limit.
  • 2 guest views remaining

Sleep study

CheshireCat said:
More importantly, if you don't wet in your sleep and wake up and use the diaper, they will be fully aware that you are voiding intentionally.
okay, I am curious now… I have a sleep study in 2 months. While I struggle with daytime urgency and enuresis at night how in the world would they be able to tell if I am voiding while I am asleep versus when I am awake? I do have some control and there are many mornings where I will wake up and use my diaper so I don’t have to get right out of bed. While this is not always the case as most nights I am voiding while I am asleep and awake to an empty bladder I would hate to think that they could tell that I intentionally wet my diaper the morning of my study once I am awake. I will sometimes also use my diaper as I am falling asleep if the urgency hits me and I don’t think I’ll be able to make it if I get out of bed. Enlighten me please and thank you!

Reactions: BigAl2 and diaperdude
blueberry said:
okay, I am curious now… I have a sleep study in 2 months. While I struggle with daytime urgency and enuresis at night how in the world would they be able to tell if I am voiding while I am asleep versus when I am awake? I do have some control and there are many mornings where I will wake up and use my diaper so I don’t have to get right out of bed. While this is not always the case as most nights I am voiding while I am asleep and awake to an empty bladder I would hate to think that they could tell that I intentionally wet my diaper the morning of my study once I am awake. I will sometimes also use my diaper as I am falling asleep if the urgency hits me and I don’t think I’ll be able to make it if I get out of bed. Enlighten me please and thank you!
OK....I'm 100% certain they can tell when you're awake. One of the biggest issues I struggle with is falling BACK TO SLEEP once that 1st wave of pain wakes me up 90-120 minutes after initially falling asleep. They can nail that to the second. I've had to BEG to allow me to schedule it UNTIL I fell back to sleep and even by waiting until 10 AM (instead of the UNFUCKINGGODLY 6!) BEFORE terminating my study IF I couldn't fall back to sleep.

With that stated, I don't know what they can or can't tell you're doing, insofar as wetting the bed or not though I don't really care. Hell, even I have a dry night every decade or 2 LOL. Seriously I usually have 8-12 dry nights/year though it's been AWHILE. Understatement city with that statement.

I would not try to trick ANYONE as the only way you benefit is if they can find a problem they can treat and tricking anyone, even if only yourself in your own mind can have no beneficial impact.

CptKirk

Reactions: BigAl2 and KindaOlde
blueberry said:
There are a myriad of sensors all over your head and body to detect brain waves, heart rate and respiration, and arm and leg movement. There is also a video camera recording you while you sleep. There are many "tells" when one voids; change in heart rate, change in respiration, and muscle contractions.

If you wet while falling asleep, it would likely be ignored as just you trying to get comfortable with all the wiring attached to you.

If you wet while asleep, it is during a NVREM (non REM) interval, and the normal tells of voiding are not there.

If you wake during the night, there will be a temporary change in brain waves, heart rate, respiration, and possibly muscle contractions if you adjust your position. If you choose to wet during this awake time, the above changes will be more marked, causing the technician to be notified, who will now be closely watching you over video and ask over the intercom if you are okay. You may think that all it takes is to relax to void, but in reality there is a lot going on.

Most sleep labs finish the study and wake you at 5AM to 6AM. The technicians want to get out of there, so they wake you up, ask if you need the restroom or if you can hold it while they remove the sensors. If you happen to wake up before the normal wake time, but enough time has passed for the study, they will ask you over the intercom if you are finished sleeping. If you say yes, they will be in momentarily to remove sensors. Either way, if you intentionally wet upon waking in the morning, the technician will be pulling out wires run through your sleep clothes past a freshly wet and warm diaper.

I've always worn a diaper during sleep studies (had at least 8). I've been dry several times and made it to the restroom in the morning. I think twice I was dry when they woke me up, but wet as I stood up to make my way the restroom. The rest of the times I woke up wet.

If you need bedtime protection, then wear it. If you need to void during the night and getting up to use the restroom will seriously interfere with your sleep, then do what you need to do to get the best sleep possible. If they wake you in the morning, you should probably try and make it to the restroom if possible.

The real issue is, you're having a sleep study because of some sort of health issue. You don't mention what that is... doesn't matter. The technician may wake you up during the night to fit you with a CPAP mask because of apnea, or for another reason. The point is, they are trying to determine why you are having a sleep issue and what can be done to help. Feel free to void during the times they are interfering with your sleep, if it will help you sleep better afterwards.

Reactions: BigAl2
CheshireCat said:
There are a myriad of sensors all over your head and body to detect brain waves, heart rate and respiration, and arm and leg movement. There is also a video camera recording you while you sleep. There are many "tells" when one voids; change in heart rate, change in respiration, and muscle contractions.

If you wet while falling asleep, it would likely be ignored as just you trying to get comfortable with all the wiring attached to you.

If you wet while asleep, it is during a NVREM (non REM) interval, and the normal tells of voiding are not there.
It seems to me you’re saying it both ways. Question being, if diapered can they tell if/when you void while sleeping?

WBxx said:
It seems to me you’re saying it both ways. Question being, if diapered can they tell if/when you void while sleeping?

What I'm saying is that there are physical tells when consciously voiding. Sensors will pick up those tells, even if one somehow remains motionless on video. Those tells are not there when wetting while asleep.

I have had tons of experience with sleep studies after you arrive and check in a tech will come around with a cart that has everything needed to prepare you to be wired up,on that cart there will be disposable diapers you can usually help yourself or ask the tech for one , they deal with bedwetters on a near daily basis , diapers aren’t any kind of big deal . Matter of fact on a good sleep study they can usually tell afterwards when you used the diaper based on changes in the brainwaves .

Oh i did that as well, its called sleep apnea testing.
they monitor my sleep pattern and why i snore or so called if i snore the right way.
since its like medical / health realated, i tell them my situation right away and they are doctors and thus very understanding.
Its like a 8-9 hours test, i slept 10 though and i wore the thickest diaper back then - the megamax - and everything went smoothly.
when i woke. .. im soaked. And this really cute nurse ask if i need a change and i was super embarrassed. I mean she didnt offer to change me, no one probably would, and i say yes and she handed me a diaper, and asked where did i find such a Huge diaper. I told her its bought online and its called Adult-Baby Diapers....
she was dumbfounded and said "oh.. cool! they are really huge ". I thanked her and never see her again

littlemoosey said:
Ok let me ask the on obvious question. How the hell can you you sleep with all of that attached to you in a bed that is foreign in a room that is not yours. I understand that this is the way it is done, if it seems that the data would not be completely valid.
A totally valid question. I can categorically say I had the shitiest sleep of my life during my one and only “sleep” study.

I had 3 of them in the last year. Mof course the first was a home study. But the other 2 was in the hospital. It is no big deal. I never said anything about it and she never asked. You get there they ask you to get ready for bed. I put on a fresh diaper and a pair of PJ pants and a T shirt. She asked if I wanted to sleep in the short but I took it off. Both times I could have left it on. I do not know of she realized or not but really did not care. They do not mess with your crotch area. They put about 3 wires glued to your scalp and then wires on the chest and feet. You have a couple straps go around your torso and then a puls oximeter on your finger. You get in bed and cover up and go to sleep. Now the wires are all on a device that is mobile and if you want or need to go get up and pee you can and just carry it with you. But they did tell me to let them know if I needed to get up so they can help make sure I do not pull any wires loose. But I of course never did. I was awake before 5 am and as soon as you are awake a good bit they disconnect you and send you home. My studies was not even 6 hours. But only because I can not sleep that long.

The place I did it does a couple studies each night and the rooms are next to each other with a toilet between the rooms. The first time there was a 60 to 65 year old man in the other room. Man I felt bad for the guy I heard him get up out of bed about every two hours to go pee. I was thinking to myself why do they not encourage people that have to get up that often to just use a diaper. Even if you can't pee in your sleep you could go after waking and go right back to bed. Man that poor old dude must of got up 5 times at least.

Personally I would do what ever you do it home because that is the point of the study is to see how you sleep. If you Normally wear diapers and then you do not for the study you are not going to be able to relax at best or at worse you are going to wet the bed. Now they did put down a big bed pad on my bed both times and it is in my file I am incontinent but it is nothing the tech asked me about or noticed. I was on a CPAP or Bipap both times so they could figure out my settings. I am still having bad apnea and they are trying to get the insurance to pay for a ASV instead but they are fighting it. Then after I get on that a bit they want me to go do my fourth study.

The in home one is easy. It does not show near as much detail but it can often rule out the need for a deeper study. You could ask your doctor about that study too and you doit from home. Like I said I did it first and I had about 70 plus events a hour and my O2 at one point dropped to 54%. So she said she knew I was not going to be a easy test the second time in the hospital as she plays with the CPAP settings as you sleep.

I hope this helps you are also welcome to me if needed. But you should have a private bathroom to change and if you wear a T shirt and sleep pants to bed I doubt they would notice and I doubt they would call you out of they did. Unless you are wearing one in a baby print or something that calls out attention. But if you wet the bed they are going to notice for sure you are a bed wetter and they for sure are not going to happy if you tell them you was too embarrassed to wear a diaper but thought that might happen. I mean either way lots of people sleep on those beds and they do not want them messed up so they will protect them with a bed pad. They are a normal king or queen beds to make you feel like you are home. Our sleep lab at my hospital feels a lot more like staying in a motel than a hospital. With the exception of 30 wires. Lol

Reactions: BigAl2 and CptKirk
I had a consultation yesterday, I wanted to pursue more information on my sleep as I know I snore heavily through the night, partly due to being mostly a luth breather due to sinus issues making it hard to breath though my nose.
Doctor was more curious about bedwetting which I had admitted to, he thinks it could be nocturnal seizures since I am an epileptic. Told him I think its more psychological and not a big deal, but he wants to be safe.
I haven't scheduled it yet, I need to find a dog/house sitter for that night. I would like the clarification and ruling out seizures but I highly doubt mine are anything other that my psychological need or desire, I did experiment with hypnosis at one point, and didn't really start wetting till I abused alcohol on a regular basis. I quit drinking but was on pain meds which had a similar effect, then I had the brain injury which seemed to increase the issues. Almost a decade after the brain injury I decided to retrain myself to use a potty at night, and that worked for 2-3 years when I gave back in to my desires and was once again wetting in my sleep. So highly doubtful its anything other than my desire to need and wear diapers, having a sleep wetting issue is a heck of an excuse to need diapers, makes me feel a tiny bit less weird, but ffs I wear diapers that look like they have Paw Patrol on them.

I have had a couple of sleep studies. On both occasions I was able to fall asleep pretty quick. Both were done years ago and I'm way past due for another. About five years ago I started wearing at night because if I got up to pee , by the time i got my mask back on, I might never fall back to sleep.
So this has been a question that I have thought of every time I think about scheduling my next study.
After reading the comments in this thread, I have decided to wear a diaper for the study and just be up front with them. They have to be somewhat understanding with the patients desire to get a good night's sleep. And if I tell them that I slightly wake pee and go back to sleep, then they will know it's coming. And I don't really care anymore.
BTW. I had the cpap machine for a few years before I started using it faithfully. My wife showed me a video of me suffocating in my sleep. I have worn it every time I sleep since. Probably six years now.

This topic does not fit me (yet?) but I find it very informative - sleep test & diapers, thanks for the great feedback!

BOXERSORBRIEFS said:
I have had a couple of sleep studies. On both occasions I was able to fall asleep pretty quick. Both were done years ago and I'm way past due for another. About five years ago I started wearing at night because if I got up to pee , by the time i got my mask back on, I might never fall back to sleep.
So this has been a question that I have thought of every time I think about scheduling my next study.
After reading the comments in this thread, I have decided to wear a diaper for the study and just be up front with them. They have to be somewhat understanding with the patients desire to get a good night's sleep. And if I tell them that I slightly wake pee and go back to sleep, then they will know it's coming. And I don't really care anymore.
BTW. I had the cpap machine for a few years before I started using it faithfully. My wife showed me a video of me suffocating in my sleep. I have worn it every time I sleep since. Probably six years now.

My wife showed my a video of a pulse ox meter setting at 80 on my finger sound a sleep. Scary stuff. Glad you are going to wear a diaper. I never said anything to the tech about it, but it was a mega max and I only had PJ pants on so I doubt it was to hard to tell. But truth is they do not care, they are not there to look at how often you pee or go to the restroom. I am certain if you pee the bed or even think you might that they will prefer you too .

Back