Skin sensitivity to some disposable products

Ellyn

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
For those that know me, you know that I nearly exclusively use cloth diapers, day and night, with occasional disposable diapers thrown into the mix.
While I was on vacation, I chose to wear pull-ups under my bathing suits and shorts instead of loose fitting clothes and coverups over tape up diapers. Though I next to never wear pull-ups, I chose to wear Tena pull-ups under form fitting clothes that I nearly never get to wear, which are usually available at many pharmacies. I didn’t get into the water, other than knee high and stayed clear of sand, which I’m definitely not a fan. Over the first day or two, I noticed mild irritation of nearly the entire pull-up coverage area which i really didn’t attribute to urine but applied liberal moisturizers to treat. Over the following day or so, I started to see redness and welts. Itching of the entire area became horrible so I discontinued the pull-ups and went to Supremes for the remainder of the vacation, which allowed the irritation to heal.
My question is simple. Does anyone else experience skin irritation with Tena pull-ups, or other products for that matter?

Reactions: Zeke, Diprs2 and Edgewater
I have not used Tena products, but have used Depends on occasion and had developed welts with mild redness.

I get lots of pushback about my loyalty to Northshore products, but I had never had such a problem with any of their products.

The chemicals involved as part of manufacturing adult products is very common among the mid- to big names and as a result, such effects would likely result from an over formal amount used, over-use of packaging chemicals as part of international shipping requirements down to individual sensitives of ones skin that day /week / month.

Cloth diapers have their short-comings, but when you control the overall process and chemicals, the results are always known!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Zeke, Diprs2, Diaperman95 and 1 other person
Edgewater said:
I have not used Tena products, but have used Depends on occasion and had developed welts with mild redness.

I get lots of pushback about my loyalty to Northshore products, but I had never had such a problem with any of their products.

The chemicals involved as part of manufacturing adult products is very common among the mid- to big names and as a result, such effects would likely result from an over formal amount used, over-use of packaging chemicals as part of international shipping requirements down to individual sensitives of ones skin that day /week / month.

Cloth diapers have their short-comings, but when you control the overall process and chemicals, the results are always known!
I hadn’t thought about all of those manufacturing and shipping chemicals, ‘and such’. Whatever they use, apparently NorthShore doesn’t, at least in their tape on products. I’ve tried NS sample pull-ups too and they don’t seem to bother me but two samples aren’t enough to really test that. I’ll order a package.
I have 3 packages of Tena pull-ups that I’m not going to use. I may donate them.

I have a skin condition and I've noticed issues with dispies (especially, clothlike backed).
For all dispies, though, along with what @Edgewater said, shipping containers are routinely painted and/or fumigated and, if the fumes are still present when next loaded, they'll seep into the products loaded. It can take months for affected dispies to stop smelling of chemicals; what residual toxic effect then remains is probably an unknown (or taken as an economically acceptable risk).

I use traditional cloth for dressing and tending my problems and usually avoid dispies if I have a niggle.

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and Ellyn
I wonder if they had some latex as many people are allergic to latex.

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater, ade and 1 other person
When my incontinence first started I noticed my inner thighs got really irritated with tena pull-ups, if I wear a pull-up now it is tranquility overnights, the best of the worst.

Reactions: Diprs2, Ellyn and Edgewater
I used to have itching when I used Tena pull-ups a lot. I don't think it's latex because they'd put a warning on the packet if so. I think it's just the chemicals used in its manufacture. When I used pull-ups, I used Abena.

(And the problem only started when they changed the design a few years ago. The older, thicker pull-ups didn't itch.)

Last edited:
Reactions: dogboy, Diprs2, Ellyn and 1 other person
Edgewater said:

Well said NorthShore really do neutralize and are 100% worth the xtra money. I have my NorthShore auto delivered the 3rd of every month. Before I even budget for an electric bill or any other bill. I write off $200to $250 every month and I see them as important as my blood pressure pills and my thyroid, stomach and even pain meds. I have became a diehard Mega max fan. Tena never has een that great
Ellyn said:
For those that know me, you know that I nearly exclusively use cloth diapers, day and night, with occasional disposable diapers thrown into the mix.
While I was on vacation, I chose to wear pull-ups under my bathing suits and shorts instead of loose fitting clothes and coverups over tape up diapers. Though I next to never wear pull-ups, I chose to wear Tena pull-ups under form fitting clothes that I nearly never get to wear, which are usually available at many pharmacies. I didn’t get into the water, other than knee high and stayed clear of sand, which I’m definitely not a fan. Over the first day or two, I noticed mild irritation of nearly the entire pull-up coverage area which i really didn’t attribute to urine but applied liberal moisturizers to treat. Over the following day or so, I started to see redness and welts. Itching of the entire area became horrible so I discontinued the pull-ups and went to Supremes for the remainder of the vacation, which allowed the irritation to heal.
My question is simple. Does anyone else experience skin irritation with Tena pull-ups, or other products for that matter?
If you want to try a more affordable but decent product try the Seni super Pill up. I use them some and my wife wears them daily..

Then if either of you find you ever need a great booster pad for cheap this seni is the best hands down. 60 large contoured pads for like 35 bucks. I leave them folded up and place the right up front at night. It cut my diaper usage down a lot. Like a lot. Seni makes good stuff I am just not a fan of cloth back for most products and that is all they do. But you can go to the seni site and they use to send out free samples at no cost. And I know for a fact NorthShore will send out samples. If you try NorhtShore or any of the Seni products let me know. The seni alone will be night and day step up to the tena products. My sin does good with both brands.

• Love
@Ellyn, Maybe a combination of factors? A latex reaction combined with tight fitting clothes, and the heat/humidity? On the other hand maybe a friction rash as the underwear was not matched to your body shape? However, you state it is over the entire diapered region so, maybe it is a chemical to Tena's manufacturing processes; others (@Edgewater, et al) have stated?

Certain products rub me raw around the legs and on the hips and waist. I surmise it was/is from tightness but, possibly as a result of fit. I don't typically use pull-on underwear but, seem to recall more irritation from them. Though as I think about it, it could be that I don't tend to use a form fitting cover over them. Hmm. Last bit, the elastics of PUL pants can also cause rashes when using cloth diapers. Hence, why I speculate the elastic fitting are what creates the heat/friction irritation.

• Love
daylight said:
@Ellyn, Maybe a combination of factors? A latex reaction combined with tight fitting clothes, and the heat/humidity? On the other hand maybe a friction rash as the underwear was not matched to your body shape? However, you state it is over the entire diapered region so, maybe it is a chemical to Tena's manufacturing processes; others (@Edgewater, et al) have stated?

Certain products rub me raw around the legs and on the hips and waist. I surmise it was/is from tightness but, possibly as a result of fit. I don't typically use pull-on underwear but, seem to recall more irritation from them. Though as I think about it, it could be that I don't tend to use a form fitting cover over them. Hmm. Last bit, the elastics of PUL pants can also cause rashes when using cloth diapers. Hence, why I speculate the elastic fitting are what creates the heat/friction irritation.
Thank you for your insightful thoughts and suggestions, many of which I hadn’t thought of. I have three unopened packages of the Tena pull-ups, which I’ll donate to Salvation Army and hope the user(s) don’t experience the same sensitivity.

• Love
I'm not familiar with Tena and don't use "pull-ups" but do occasionally experience similar reactions with various diapers I've worn. I've attributed this to the "roughness of the inner lining", too much SAP possibly, latex sensitivity, the need to "air out" my skin and heat. I would think that tight clothing would only exacerbate these issues. I'm blessed to not have any allergies to the products that I use, and a simple "airing out" or even a diaper change is all that is needed. In any case, heat and humidity are not your friends, which is something unavoidable if you live in Texas. At least that's the case along the Gulf coast where I was back in the day.

Reactions: Ellyn and Edgewater
schooner said:
I'm not familiar with Tena and don't use "pull-ups" but do occasionally experience similar reactions with various diapers I've worn. I've attributed this to the "roughness of the inner lining", too much SAP possibly, latex sensitivity, the need to "air out" my skin and heat. I would think that tight clothing would only exacerbate these issues. I'm blessed to not have any allergies to the products that I use, and a simple "airing out" or even a diaper change is all that is needed. In any case, heat and humidity are not your friends, which is something unavoidable if you live in Texas. At least that's the case along the Gulf coast where I was back in the day.
I stopped wearing those pull-ups and the problem went away after one day. Same heat and humidity. Snug fitting clothes but sadly wasn’t able to wear a swimsuit as the diaper would have simply been too obvious around children.
Thanks for the suggestions though!

Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
Ellyn said:
I stopped wearing those pull-ups and the problem went away after one day. Same heat and humidity. Snug fitting clothes but sadly wasn’t able to wear a swimsuit as the diaper would have simply been too obvious around children.
Thanks for the suggestions though!
Have you tried reusable pull-on style diapers, perhaps something like Threaded Armor (https://threadedarmor.com/)? They are pretty decent products and some of the styles I would think would fit underneath a woman's bathing suit.

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and Ellyn
Hi Ellyn,

I'm not sure if something like this is available in the US but this may fix the swimsuit problem:

Reactions: Diprs2, OnePiece, Edgewater and 1 other person
I purchased a package of Luvs to try using as a doubler, I trimmed the wings and poked holes in it before placing in my diaper. I found my skin to be red and irritated almost felt burned. I have never had that happen with regular doublers.

Reactions: Diprs2, Zeke, Edgewater and 1 other person
schooner said:
Have you tried reusable pull-on style diapers, perhaps something like Threaded Armor (https://threadedarmor.com/)? They are pretty decent products and some of the styles I would think would fit underneath a woman's bathing suit.
Thank you. I’ll have a look!

mickdl said:
Hi Ellyn,

I'm not sure if something like this is available in the US but this may fix the swimsuit problem:

Thank you. I’ve not seen anything like these suits before. I’ll look into this.

dondl2 said:
I purchased a package of Luvs to try using as a doubler, I trimmed the wings and poked holes in it before placing in my diaper. I found my skin to be red and irritated almost felt burned. I have never had that happen with regular doublers.
I have learned that trying to use any plastic back products inside an adult diaper really don’t work well. Poking holes or slitting the plastic doesn’t help much to spread the wetness to the diaper below. I have however had success using a small microfiber towel (Sams Club and Costco), folded into thirds and placed in the diaper works well as a booster. They are cheap and rinse out and launder well. The down side is you need to handle a urine soaked towel…

Reactions: Diprs2, Zeke and Edgewater
Back