RV Life - Did you buy the right Unit for your needs? Part 2

Zeke said:
dad was barbecuing and sipping his martini when I was in grade school.
Your dad sounds badass!! Sipping the martini. Reminds me of this image. We met a couple to have Martinis at this place called The Martini Room in Elgin years ago. Martini Bar. yeah, not my thing, thankfully they also served... BEER. hahah!

Attachments

• 7b7cf21f50d8400aa0f6ed5400e9cf4f.jpg
    7b7cf21f50d8400aa0f6ed5400e9cf4f.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Edgewater
Fancypants2001 said:
Your dad sounds badass!! Sipping the martini. Reminds me of this image. We met a couple to have Martinis at this place called The Martini Room in Elgin years ago. Martini Bar. yeah, not my thing, thankfully they also served... BEER. hahah!
Mom swore that vodka was Russia’s secret weapon as dad could drink brandy and water all day long and never show a sign, but give him a couple vodka martinis and he was in the bag. Of course he wasn’t using a martini glass, more like a mixed drink glass. He was a Marine sergeant in the Korean Conflict so he was a bad ass if he needed to be, but what impressed me most about him was his integrity. He was sales manager for an agricultural equipment manufacturer and would tell his salesman that it took a hundred good sales to make up for one dissatisfied customer. I saw him demonstrate this once when one of his dealers called him in to close a sale on a large feed lot setup. Ten bunk feeders, nine free stall scrapers, two cross conveyors, and two liquid manure pumps were up for grabs by several companies when the dealer and dad went to site. Dad looked it over and asked what they were going to use for bedding the cattle and then took out a business card and wrote the phone number of one of the competitors on it. He told the customer that all his company’s equipment would work well under their conditions, but the liquid manure pumps wouldn’t handle what they were using for to bed their cattle. The customer signed the order, but on the way back the dealer was hot because those two pumps represented a significant commission fee to him. Dad said he had saved him at least one or two trips a month out to the feedlot to try to fix the pumps inability to handle cornstalks they were going to use for cattle bedding. He sold a lot of products due to his honesty with farmers and those that dealt with them. He had little time for salesman that would cold call during supper or that exaggerated the capabilities of their products, a rare quality in those involved in sales today.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fancypants2001 and Edgewater
Well, here I am back on the page after a year's hiatus. We took possession of the RV in Mid-April and went to the woods every chance we could in 2023. I think we managed 10 stays from April until October. We even had a chance to do an 11 day, 3 park stay ending up at a family members house in N. Wisconsin for a few days before making the 5-hour trip straight home. I think I had talked about my 1/2T GMC being barely able to comfortably haul my previous RV. Well, this was equally a clenched knuckle summer with the new Grand Design. On a good note, however, I took possession of my new truck. I ordered it in April 2023, and it was finally delivered to the dealer on July 7, 2023. I went with the gas version instead of Diesel. I know there can be a large debate about all things hauling between the 2 different power plants. I will certainly entertain that if brought up. Moving on though. Towing with a fully capable 6.6L 3/4T and 10Speed Allison transmission is night and day between my previous half-ton GMC. If you care to know the costs, just ask. I am not shy to talk about it. I love the new truck.

Attachments

• 20230904_114944.jpg
    20230904_114944.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • Love
Reactions: Edgewater
Happy to hear about the upgrade in your truck. You gave-up a tiny bit of comfort for a proper truck for your needs. That new 10 speed Allison greatly reduces the transmission temperature. The difference in pump pricing between gas and diesel has likely not affected your travel costs either! Good choice for what you are doing.

Keep enjoying the backcountry as it is a truly wonder place!!

Reactions: Fancypants2001
Edgewater said:
Happy to hear about the upgrade in your truck. You gave-up a tiny bit of comfort for a proper truck for your needs. That new 10 speed Allison greatly reduces the transmission temperature. The difference in pump pricing between gas and diesel has likely not affected your travel costs either! Good choice for what you are doing.

Keep enjoying the backcountry as it is a truly wonder
Thank You. yeah, this has been a really cool upgrade with the new rig for sure. The 3/4T is a little bumpier compared to a Half ton. The fuel economy is less as well, but at this point in life, I should not complain and drive this type of vehicle. lol. I really appreciate the creature comforts the new model affords. Well, the package that I chose. Bose stereo, leather, sunroof, bucket seats to name a few. This season so far we have been simply throwing the Yaks in the back bed vs up top for the local outings.

Attachments

• TruckYaks.jpg
    TruckYaks.jpg
    936 KB · Views: 1
Back