Regional foods

geka

Est. Contributor
Messages
468
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I live in the Carolina’s nc/sc,we have a regional breakfast food called liver pudding. Since ADISC is worldwide I’m wondering what regional food do have/ eat that people from other regions/ countries have never heard of?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Edgewater
Most of the foods that are part of Wisconsin life have gone national like bratwurst, cheese of all types, cheese curds, and Friday night fish fries. I’ve never had anything called liver pudding, but I remember as a kid sitting by myself at the supper table, having to clean my plate, when we had liver and onions once a week and hoping that I could get the dog’s attention without my parents noticing. That was then, but now I actually like liver and onions as long as the liver is seared well and crispy on the edges.
 
  • Like
Reactions: SD79, Edgewater and geka
Staffordshire oat cakes
Deep fried pizza I. Glasgow
Cornish pasties
Dorset knob
Ulster fry
Balti mile
Uk fish n chips
Haggis
 
  • Like
Reactions: Edgewater
Didn’t like liver as a kid also , like it now thought,i always assumed bratwurst German.
After ww ll returning GI started doing fish fries. Now we have a restaurants Referred to as fish camps I’ve talked to ppl from west coast ask what’s that?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Edgewater
parcelboy2 said:
Staffordshire oat cakes
Deep fried pizza I. Glasgow
Cornish pasties
Dorset knob
Ulster fry
Balti mile
Uk fish n chips
Haggis
Lol only one a know is fish and chips
 
  • Like
Reactions: Edgewater
geka said:
Didn’t like liver as a kid also , like it now thought,i always assumed bratwurst German.
After ww ll returning GI started doing fish fries. Now we have a restaurants Referred to as fish camps I’ve talked to ppl from west coast ask what’s that?
A lot of Friday night fish fries became popular in Wisconsin due to the Catholic church’s ban on eating meat on Fridays. Although the church has rescinded this requirement the Friday fish fries remain highly popular still throughout our state. And bratwurst is German but so are many of the residents of Wisconsin thus its popularity in the state. The same can be said of much of the cheese consumed in Wisconsin as well as the beer!
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: SD79, geka and Edgewater
parcelboy2 said:
Staffordshire oat cakes
Deep fried pizza I. Glasgow
Cornish pasties
Dorset knob
Ulster fry
Balti mile
Uk fish n chips
Haggis
Don’t know what some of them are but I’m sure that I’ll forgo the last item from everything that I’ve heard about it. The Dorset knob must be different in the UK than it is in the US because now I have a front door without a lock and knob and I have a stomach ache to boot.
 
Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Edgewater
Zeke said:
Don’t know what some of them are but I’m sure that I’ll forgo the last item from everything that I’ve heard about it. The Dorset knob must be different in the UK than it is in the US because now I have a front door without a lock and knob and I have a stomach ache to boot.
Dorset knob is a kind of a cross between a cake and biscuit and used in a yearly throwing contest
 
  • Like
Reactions: Edgewater and Zeke
Business travel had taken me to much of Western, Southern and Eastern Europe over decades of travel. Living in the upper mid-West US, across the pond from Zeke had already exposed me to most of the regional foods and drinks. I even learned the art of Wine paring with foods.

Beers of Europe are on average better than North America beer. My choice for the best beer of England is Pedigree! A Midlands beer! Let's see how many from England agree with my choice?

US Fish and French Fry's barely compare to British Fish and Chips!
 
Edgewater said:
Business travel had taken me to much of Western, Southern and Eastern Europe over decades of travel. Living in the upper mid-West US, across the pond from Zeke had already exposed me to most of the regional foods and drinks. I even learned the art of Wine paring with foods.

Beers of Europe are on average better than North America beer. My choice for the best beer of England is Pedigree! A Midlands beer! Let's see how many from England agree with my choice?

US Fish and French Fry's barely compare to British Fish and Chips!
When I have chips at home I don’t have vinegar on them , but from a fish n chip shop vinegar is a must
Also forgot battered sausage or a saveloy sausage
 
  • Like
Reactions: Edgewater
Sausage bacon egg soda, yummy with hp brown sauce 😋
 
  • Like
Reactions: NappiedTruckDriver and Edgewater
Edgewater said:
Business travel had taken me to much of Western, Southern and Eastern Europe over decades of travel. Living in the upper mid-West US, across the pond from Zeke had already exposed me to most of the regional foods and drinks. I even learned the art of Wine paring with foods.

Beers of Europe are on average better than North America beer. My choice for the best beer of England is Pedigree! A Midlands beer! Let's see how many from England agree with my choice?

US Fish and French Fry's barely compare to British Fish and Chips!
Wine paring? Do you use a paring knife for that? When I was a kid we used to drink Mad Dog 20/20 while snowmobiling since it wouldn’t freeze as easily, but this resulted in some horrific hangovers. Then I got into a Manischewitz kick for a while, with as equally bad hangovers. My knowledge of wine is limited to those you drink out of the bottle with a paper bag still around it! Or sometimes I’ll get a box of white Zinfandel (no bag required), but I’m definitely not a connoisseur (as is probably obvious by now). Recently I’ve been thinking about joining one of those wine clubs where they send you about a dozen of their most popular wines, but haven’t pulled the trigger on it yet. Just thinking about wine is giving me a headache.
 
Last edited:
Despite some excellent choices from neighbouring counties, being from Nottingham, nothing else gives me the same mix of occasion and familiarity as mushy peas with mint sauce. On their own of course, preferably out of a polystyrene cup!

Zeke said:
Don’t know what some of them are but I’m sure that I’ll forgo the last item from everything that I’ve heard about it.

As with most sausages it's quite tasty but best not to ask what's in it!

Edgewater said:
Beers of Europe are on average better than North America beer. My choice for the best beer of England is Pedigree! A Midlands beer! Let's see how many from England agree with my choice?

Not much of a drinker these days but Castle Rock were always my first choice brewery, especially their IPAs.
 
Vintage84 said:
Sausage bacon egg soda, yummy with hp brown sauce 😋
Nothing more British than HP sauce
 
  • Like
Reactions: Vintage84
Anemone said:
Despite some excellent choices from neighbouring counties, being from Nottingham, nothing else gives me the same mix of occasion and familiarity as mushy peas with mint sauce. On their own of course, preferably out of a polystyrene cup!



As with most sausages it's quite tasty but best not to ask what's in it!



Not much of a drinker these days but Castle Rock were always my first choice brewery, especially their IPAs.
I can’t drink beer ( coeliac) but drink Thatchers Somerset Cider , on my 5th can tonight , also drink it draught as well
 
  • Like
Reactions: Anemone
Anemone said:
Despite some excellent choices from neighbouring counties, being from Nottingham, nothing else gives me the same mix of occasion and familiarity as mushy peas with mint sauce. On their own of course, preferably out of a polystyrene cup!



As with most sausages it's quite tasty but best not to ask what's in it!



Not much of a drinker these days but Castle Rock were always my first choice brewery, especially their IPAs.
Anything they grind up and stick in an animal intestine you shouldn’t ask about! The summer that I graduated from high school I worked at Jones Dairy Farm, a high end pork packing plant. After seeing what went into high end product I knew better than to even think about what goes into the average consumer brand. But I did get over my aversion to braunschweiger even after seeing what went into it. By the way, what they say about a pork packing plants using every part of the hog including the squeal is true!
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Reactions: geka and Anemone
Zeke said:
Anything they grind up and stick in an animal intestine you shouldn’t ask about! The summer that I graduated from high school I worked at Jones Dairy Farm, a high end pork packing plant. After seeing what went into high end product I knew better than to even think about what goes into the average consumer brand. But I did get over my aversion to braunschweiger even after seeing what went into it. By the way, what they say about a pork packing plants using every part of the hog including the squeal is true!
I’ve seen the same in chicken packing , every thing apart from the cluck
 
parcelboy2 said:
Nothing more British than HP sauce
It has to be hp
 
parcelboy2 said:
I can’t drink beer ( coeliac) but drink Thatchers Somerset Cider , on my 5th can tonight , also drink it draught as well
I'm the opposite, one reckless night and now I can't touch cider! XD
 
  • Like
Reactions: Vintage84
parcelboy2 said:
I can’t drink beer ( coeliac) but drink Thatchers Somerset Cider , on my 5th can tonight , also drink it draught as well
I take it that’s what country folk call hard cider?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top