Regional foods

Vintage84 said:
It has to be hp
Daddy's for me, even just saying the name makes me happy. I wonder why..?

Anemone said:
Daddy's for me, even just saying the name makes me happy. I wonder why..?
Yea daddy's is decent but I'm a hp man myself

Anemone said:
I'm the opposite, one reckless night and now I can't touch cider! XD
Yea the first time I drank was the last time

• Thinking
Reactions: Anemone
Vintage84 said:
Yea the first time I drank was the last time
Cider

Growing up in NE Pennsylvania we had a thing called scrapple. It was mainly a breakfast item served with eggs and homefries. Always grilled to a crispy crunchy outside while the inside was soft and mushy. It's delicious too.
I haven't had scrapple since leaving Pennsylvania in 2006.

Nowididit said:
Growing up in NE Pennsylvania we had a thing called scrapple. It was mainly a breakfast item served with eggs and homefries. Always grilled to a crispy crunchy outside while the inside was soft and mushy. It's delicious too.
I haven't had scrapple since leaving Pennsylvania in 2006.
Ya we have scrapple down here too, meat packing plants really use all of the pig!

Eggs and Bacón! People around me call it "Bacon" but because I am a funny little I call it "Bacón!"

Last edited:
We have several craft beer brewers here in Virginia. I live somewhat close to both Devil's Backbone and Blue Mountain. I grew up on Barnegat Bay in N. J. and we ate a lot of fish, crabs and clams as well as oysters.

geka said:
I live in the Carolina’s nc/sc,we have a regional breakfast food called liver pudding. Since ADISC is worldwide I’m wondering what regional food do have/ eat that people from other regions/ countries have never heard of?
You have that most wonderful food called Eastern-style BBQ and you talk about liver pudding!? 😱

• Haha
Reactions: dogboy
MudPuppy said:
You have that most wonderful food called Eastern-style BBQ and you talk about liver pudding!? 😱
Ya the bbq is good, tho I never cared for The vinegar base sauce. The liver pudding is a regional thing in the Carolina’s

Even though I'm in western Canada, I still love a Quebec food. Poutine, for those if you that don't know is fries with cheese curds and gravy on top. I'm also fond of fried bologna. My parents are from the east coast of Canada.

Zeke said:
Anything they grind up and stick in an animal intestine you shouldn’t ask about! The summer that I graduated from high school I worked at Jones Dairy Farm, a high end pork packing plant. After seeing what went into high end product I knew better than to even think about what goes into the average consumer brand. But I did get over my aversion to braunschweiger even after seeing what went into it. By the way, what they say about a pork packing plants using every part of the hog including the squeal is true!
That’s why my dad says hotdogs are made from lips and buttholes😂🤣

I’m a Hoosier. Our thing here in Indiana is a breaded and fried pork tenderloin sandwich. Mayo, lettuce, onion, pickle and tomato. We also do a wet tenderloin. Same tenderloin but dipped in a brown gravy. So good with a little mustard. Guess what I’ll be making tomorrow for the Super Bowl?🤗

Reactions: geka and Zeke
SofiaInPampers said:
That’s why my dad says hotdogs are made from lips and buttholes😂🤣
When my wife and I had our own truck we were pulling refer and hauled a load of pork skins from Georgia to Massachusetts. They were going to General Foods and all the way there I was telling her that I bet they’re going to be made into Jello. She was a big fan of Jello, but couldn’t accept the idea that Jello was made from all kinds of scrap animal proteins. The security guard that checked us in confirmed my suspensions and Penny instantly gave up her beloved Jello right then and there. That was late winter and later that year we were at her parents’ house for Thanksgiving. Her mother had made Jello in addition and all the traditional dishes. Penny had forgotten her Jello aversion and put some on her plate. When she got a spoonful up to her mouth I started with “Squeal, squeal, squeal”. She wouldn’t touch it after that. Her dad, brothers, and I had a big laugh and wouldn’t let her hear the end of it. I can’t remember how, but I’m sure she found a way to get even with each of us. When people lived on farms, butchered their own animals, and grew their own food they knew where it came from and what went into it. Today most suburbanites and city dwellers are so far removed from where their food comes from many think it’s the supermarket fairy that supplies the food that they eat, that if it’s not Ronald McDonald, Wendy, or the Burger King!

Last edited:
Reactions: dogboy
We have a mix of of different food here. Some kiwi made, others kiwi perfected (or at least I think so).
Some I am sure you may have already heard of, so here are some lesser known ones (I think):
  • Hāngī
  • Pāua
  • Whitebait
  • Kūmara
  • Lolly cake

Green Eggs & Ham !!! No just FUNNING !!

Breaded Pork Tenderloins, Dry Beef Dill Pickles Wraps, Raisin Cream Pie
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie, Maid Rites Sandwiches, Taco Pizzas, Breaded Morel Mushrooms !!
JUST SO YUMMY !!

Rita said:

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie, Maid Rites Sandwiches, Taco Pizzas, Breaded Morel Mushrooms !!
JUST SO YUMMY !!
I forgot about the mushrooms in the springtime. You are right, so yummy!

Rita said:

JUST SO YUMMY !!
This sounds a lot like the Iowa area that I grew up in.

Edgewater said:
Business travel had taken me to much of Western, Southern and Eastern Europe over decades of travel. Living in the upper mid-West US, across the pond from Zeke had already exposed me to most of the regional foods and drinks. I even learned the art of Wine paring with foods.

Beers of Europe are on average better than North America beer. My choice for the best beer of England is Pedigree! A Midlands beer! Let's see how many from England agree with my choice?

US Fish and French Fry's barely compare to British Fish and Chips!
As for English beer, Samuel Smith's Museum Ale was my favourite back in the UK, but they stopped brewing that years ago. In the Netherlands Brand do a lovely IPA 7%. Otherwise Grolsch, never Heineken head ache and German bier of course. Try Krombacher, Bittburger or Warsteiner all excellent.

Reactions: Edgewater
I'm Jewish, so I have foods like kugel and cholent.

Reactions: FrumJewDL, Edgewater and James1234
Back