Rectal Temps?

Jonjon said:
I got my share of shots in my bottom as well.
For something intended to go in to a muscle, take is typically the best place in terms of pain afterwards.
But DO NOT anger the person holding the needle! :ROFLMAO:

nwm said:
For something intended to go in to a muscle, take is typically the best place in terms of pain afterwards.
But DO NOT anger the person holding the needle! :ROFLMAO:
Oh, I knew better than to act up when I was going to get a shot. The one time I did, I got spanked, got the shot anyhow, and then got spanked again when I got home. I had the sorest bottom you could imagine.

• Haha
Reactions: longallsboy
Jonjon said:
I got spanked, got the shot anyhow, and then got spanked again when I got home. I had the sorest bottom you could imagine.
I wouldn't be too sure of that! There's a LOT I don't have to imagine! (Seemed to be used pretty much everywere - sometimes, because I was always in diapers due to ic issues - with the intent to hurt more than "normal" just so the diaper didn't help much to curve the sting/burn.)

pampers47 said:
I have my temp taken by mouth. When I was younger I had my temp taken rectal.
Nowadays it is the beam of light to the forehead. Back when I was age 12 or less my mom took it by rectal thermometer. I recall asking about this once and she said it was the most efficient way. Especially if you had a cold and your nose was plugged up and you would breathe around the mouth thermometer with your lips slightly open (this was a form of cheating the thermometer so the resultant value was skewed....so rectal thermometer was used).

icklecub said:
Sounds really dangerous to put a glass mercury thermometer inside you 😱
Well back in the 70's that's all you had. There were plenty of "stories" about young kids biting the glass thermometer while in their mouth and then getting mercury poisoning! So rectal thermometers were seen as safer (vaseline was used to "ease" the insertion). It is much better now with the forehead scanners.

DanielW said:
its still the most accurate method, despite advances in technology. in the ear thermometers can give inaccurate readings from wax build-up, inflammation of the ear canal etc. and the IR forehead thermometers can also give inaccurate readings depending on distance, hydration levels in the skin, etc.
Thanks for the forehead update notation - I have not heard this but often wondered about 6 inches away compared to 3 feet - ha.

DanielW said:
its still the most accurate method, despite advances in technology. in the ear thermometers can give inaccurate readings from wax build-up, inflammation of the ear canal etc. and the IR forehead thermometers can also give inaccurate readings depending on distance, hydration levels in the skin, etc.
I remember they tried both at the doctor's office a few years back - I was 94.7 in my ear and 100.0 in my bottom. Those scanners always seem to read me at about 97, regardless of what my real temperature is (and it's been up to 101 while the scanner keeps saying 97). So, for me to get any type of accurate number, it has to be in my bottom.

Jonjon said:
My pediatrician's office always took my temperature in my bottom - it was just part of their protocol. I got my share of shots in my bottom as well.

And what age did you see your pediatrician until? Just wondering. I've known people with developmental disabilities, and Down Syndrome or intellectual disabilities, and know people who still see their pediatrician at age 40 or 50. My HMO refused to let me see a pediatrician after age 18, and since then I've been through a few adult doctors, none of which have been that understanding of me. I've basically had inadequate care. It is also 100% true that pediatricians are more friendlier and not as rough as adult doctors. I have Classic Autism and ADHD, and while I'm in my mid 40s, there are even normal adults in their 20s and 30s that still see pediatricians and people who are in their 40s and 50s who see pediatricians and end up in children's hospitals due to things like congenital heart problems or other diseases that started in childhood. But autism is also a disease that starts in childhood and if you look in the Merck manual, it actually puts Autism in the pediatrics chapter. Being that I am emotionally and socially like a 4 1/2 to 5 year old, and at least in some ways, mentally like one, I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to see one. Maybe I should just drop my HMO and move to another that is more supportive.

Or I could move?? I have wanted to move to South Carolina for some time (I'm from the West Coast). There are several med-peds in the area I want to move to. A med-ped is someone who is a pediatrician and primarily sees kids, but can also see adults (a lot of times developmentally disabled adults) as well. A med-ped has 2 to 3 years of pediatric training, whereas with internal medicine doctors, they only spend 6-9 months studying pediatrics. I also worry what might happen if I end up in a hospital one day for heart or intestinal surgery or something serious. I have extremely low tolerance for pain and I'm actually worse than most children, in fact. Going to an adult ICU after surgery might kill me. My crying and screaming from the pain may drive other adult ICU patients to attack me. In a pediatric ICU, they would be used to that sort of thing.

There are HMOs where I likely could see a pediatrician, with the problems I have. I really feel like dropping the HMO I belong to. There was nothing along the lines of a conversation saying "You need to find an adult doctor" either. They just silently automatically drop you once you are chronologically 18, and you are to go find an adult doctor. Terrible policy. At least they should plan with you how to find an adult doctor - especially one who is knowledgeable about Autism like I have. SMH.

My pediatrician from age 2 to 5 actually told me he would have loved to see me, about 13 years ago, a few years before he retired. He said that the HMO he belonged to was a stupid bureaucracy. I told him he was biting the hand that was feeding him. He said "So what? I mean, it's the truth". 😱🤷‍♂️ A good guy. He diagnosed my little brother with Kawasaki Syndrome in 1981 when he was a few months old. Sigh.

Still trying to get some long-alls made and the T strap shoes I want.

Take care buddy

💜, longallsboy

Love rectal temp taking... wish they made thicker, slightly longer thermometers 😏
For a more intensively intimate experience. Hehehe

icklecub said:
Sounds really dangerous to put a glass mercury thermometer inside you 😱
They used to in years past. Not recommended these days for sure. Plenty of modern options to choose from.

Oddly enough, I've always found having a thermometer in my mouth childishly thrilling; I felt like a kid in a story about going to hospital, where they always have thermometers in their mouths. My parents' method was a forehead thermometer which changed colour, this was less exciting.

As for rectally: I am extremely sensitive down there, perhaps I would enjoy having it done that way.

This way have always been to check to see if i have a fever. Even when i was little.

feetintrouble said:
As for rectally: I am extremely sensitive down there, perhaps I would enjoy having it done that way.
It is not certain. The tip of a rectal thermometer which is inserted is narrow and short, so there is not much to feel.

Chess said:
It is not certain. The tip of a rectal thermometer which is inserted is narrow and short, so there is not much to feel.
Not true to a degree. I had my temp taken rectally a few times when super sick and i felt it going in and felt it the whole time it was registering and i found it very uncomfortable and very unpleasant and i almost cried. Each time i had pneumonia and had shaking shivering chills and first time had super bad migraine. I kept begging for it to be over with but no such luck. It was an older type of thermometer being used and each time temp had to be taken for 5 minutes. I hated every minute of it especially since i was really sick. It was done that way for medical purposes as it was deemed to br warrented based on i was burning up and havung shaking chills bad headache and bad nausea. I had to have it taken rectally for at least 2 days. It was taken every few hours. The experience was not fun to say the least but i know it waS done for accuracy and medical reason since it was deemed that a rectal temp was best way to obtain my temp. But i felt everything and i did not like it at all

GoodnitesLover8 said:
Yes. Rectal temperature is the most accurate. I exclusively take my temperature rectally. My IRL dad told me he had his temp taken rectally until he was 8 which is crazy. Most websites say stop rectal readings at 3, 4, or 5. The only alternatives to oral or rectal are underarm and forehead which are very inaccurate. When I have kids, I will take their temperatures rectally until 3, 4, or 5 as recommended. When they can hold the oral thermometer under their tongues and keep their mouths closed around the thermometer and prefer oral to rectal, that's what we'll do.
How can you stand a thermometer up your butt? I had my temp taken rectally a few times when super sick and i found it very uncomfortable and very unpleasant and i almost cried. Each time i had pneumonia and had shaking shivering chills and first time had super bad migraine. I kept begging for it to be over with but no such luck. It was an older type of thermometer being used and each time temp had to be taken for 5 minutes. I hated every minute of it especially since i was really sick. It was done that way for medical purposes as it was deemed to br warrented based on i was burning up and havung shaking chills bad headache and bad nausea. I had to have it taken rectally for at least 2 days. It was taken every few hours. The experience was not fun to say the least but i know it waS done for accuracy and medical reason since it was deemed that a rectal temp was best way to obtain my temp.

Creativeninja said:
Not true to a degree. I had my temp taken rectally a few times when super sick and i felt it going in and felt it the whole time it was registering and i found it very uncomfortable and very unpleasant and i almost cried. Each time i had pneumonia and had shaking shivering chills and first time had super bad migraine. I kept begging for it to be over with but no such luck. It was an older type of thermometer being used and each time temp had to be taken for 5 minutes. I hated every minute of it especially since i was really sick. It was done that way for medical purposes as it was deemed to br warrented based on i was burning up and havung shaking chills bad headache and bad nausea. I had to have it taken rectally for at least 2 days. It was taken every few hours. The experience was not fun to say the least but i know it waS done for accuracy and medical reason since it was deemed that a rectal temp was best way to obtain my temp. But i felt everything and i did not like it at all
I would guess that the thermometer is used incorrectly if the experience was physically uncomfortable. With the correct body position (lying on your back or side with hips and knees bent) and a well lubricated thermometer inserted at the correct angle, there is not much to feel. It may feel a little cold at first before the thermometer warms up, but that's all.

I've read some fictional stories where body temperature was taken rectally on people lying on their stomachs. If someone tries that in real life, I can well imagine it would be uncomfortable, but it's not a good position for the same reason. With the hips bent e.g. on the back, there will be free passage for the thermometer, while stretched legs will shut it off.

And as I said before, the thermometer tip is thin and doesn't have to go in very far.

Chess said:
I would guess that the thermometer is used incorrectly if the experience was physically uncomfortable. With the correct body position (lying on your back or side with hips and knees bent) and a well lubricated thermometer inserted at the correct angle, there is not much to feel. It may feel a little cold at first before the thermometer warms up, but that's all.

I've read some fictional stories where body temperature was taken rectally on people lying on their stomachs. If someone tries that in real life, I can well imagine it would be uncomfortable, but it's not a good position for the same reason. With the hips bent e.g. on the back, there will be free passage for the thermometer, while stretched legs will shut it off.

And as I said before, the thermometer tip is thin and doesn't have to go in very far.
the thermometer that was used on me was an older looking kind but it was a newer one without the mercury in it and the tip of it was thicker than and older glass thermometer but I believe the first time I lay on my side and the Second Battle pneumonia I was on my back I believe I don't quite remember but it was uncomfortable and I did not like it at all the temperature taking itself was uncomfortable and unpleasant because I didn't really like having a thermometer on my butt and it was uncomfortable and unpleasant probably because I was sick and shivering and shaking

Chess said:
I think it might in my case, though. When I first experimented with anal play in my 20s, it was the first time anything had been poked into my anus, and it was a complete surprise to me just how sensitive it was.

tobid03 said:
Does anyone take rectal temps? I can’t think of a more babyish way to take a temperature. I don’t do it when I need it, but I did have some fun with a 5” mercury thermometer some years back.
i take them rectally

Back