Rectal Temps?

Billies1 said:
I know. I think America has a homophobic fear of rectal temperature taking. There might be a fear of “making “ a child gay if you take their temperature rectally. It’s silly o know but society can be that way.
Or perhaps it’s just because children don’t like having things stuck up there and generally speaking we try not to upset them more than necessary.

MrPurple said:
Or perhaps it’s just because children don’t like having things stuck up there and generally speaking we try not to upset them more than necessary.
If they don't like it, it is because their parents and older kids teach them that it is bad and shameful. Having a lubricated narrow thermometer tip 1-2 cm (half inch) in the rectum isn't any problem unless you have been told that it is.

Reactions: Billies1
Chess said:
If they don't like it, it is because their parents and older kids teach them that it is bad and shameful. Having a lubricated narrow thermometer tip 1-2 cm (half inch) in the rectum isn't any problem unless you have been told that it is.
Please stop projecting

It’s an uncomfortable sensation. An outdated method in the days of thermal in ear thermometers and doesn’t protect patient dignity.

Just because you have a fetish for them doesn’t mean they’re the best thing ever or there is some conspiracy against them.

• Angry
MrPurple said:
Please stop projecting

It’s an uncomfortable sensation. An outdated method in the days of thermal in ear thermometers and doesn’t protect patient dignity.

Just because you have a fetish for them doesn’t mean they’re the best thing ever or there is some conspiracy against them.
I don't have a fetish for rectal thermometers. I'm just pointing out that "dignity" is a culturally determined thing, and some (most?) cultures have no problem with this. That doesn't mean that all members of these cultures are fetishists.

Reactions: smolguy
Chess said:
I don't have a fetish for rectal thermometers. I'm just pointing out that "dignity" is a culturally determined thing, and some (most?) cultures have no problem with this. That doesn't mean that all members of these cultures are fetishists.
I heavily disagree with your assertion that most cultures are unphased by things being inserted in to the rectum. I think you’re wrong, based on having lived in two countries and talking regularly to people from many others. The same sort of desire by the average person to keep things out of their bottom is noticed in literal and abstract (Jokes, references, etc) forms.

Yes some people are in to it and there is certainly nothing wrong with it. But it’s clear as day most people are not.

MrPurple said:
I heavily disagree with your assertion that most cultures are unphased by things being inserted in to the rectum. I think you’re wrong, based on having lived in two countries and talking regularly to people from many others. The same sort of desire by the average person to keep things out of their bottom is noticed in literal and abstract (Jokes, references, etc) forms.

Yes some people are in to it and there is certainly nothing wrong with it. But it’s clear as day most people are not.
Hey, I didn't say that people in most cultures like having things inserted in the rectum. They don't like it and they normally don't do it. (Except for the rectal fetishists, which I am not.) But if there is a medical reason they do it, and don't feel bad or shameful about it. It is like many other medical procedures that you wouldn't do without reason, but see no problem doing when necessary.

MrPurple said:
Please stop projecting

I feel he’s correct. Kids know what older people teach them.

MrPurple said:
He's right that kids don't like having their temperatures taken rectally. But, oral temperatures are also not fun. However, temperature-taking is a necessary part of parenthood and childhood. We try not to upset them more than necessary, but that doesn't mean they're never upset....

Reactions: JOCKMAN
GoodnitesLover8 said:
He's right that kids don't like having their temperatures taken rectally. But, oral temperatures are also not fun. However, temperature-taking is a necessary part of parenthood and childhood. We try not to upset them more than necessary, but that doesn't mean they're never upset...
If a distraction is provided, even five minutes can go by without provoking a fit. For me, that usually means laying down on my tummy while pointed in the direction of the TV, though sometimes I'll be given an iPad to play with while my temperature's being taken. However, if I'm feeling sick enough, I'll just lay there and wait to see what my temperature is.

Zeke said:
Temperatures taken rectally are among the most accurate and the easiest secured when dealing with a sick child. The number of blood vessels that populate the area is huge which is one reason to be very careful what you insert there as it will soon enter your bloodstream.
That, I think, is the purpose behind Tylenol suppositories - the medication gets picked up quickly by the blood vessels there.

Kaich said:
It's quite safe and has been for years - as long as you don't bite it.
My aunt has one.
But you wouldn't would you.
We all use digital thermometers here.
Not all of us - Daddy uses a Geratherm rectal thermometer to take my temperature. No mercury, but it takes five minutes to take a temperature.

Jonjon said:
Not all of us - Daddy uses a Geratherm rectal thermometer to take my temperature. No mercury, but it takes five minutes to take a temperature.
It only need to take two minutes. I should know as I have done it all my live hundreds of times at home and in hospitals as rectal is the normal method where I live.

Jonjon said:
If a distraction is provided, even five minutes can go by without provoking a fit. For me, that usually means laying down on my tummy while pointed in the direction of the TV, though sometimes I'll be given an iPad to play with while my temperature's being taken. However, if I'm feeling sick enough, I'll just lay there and wait to see what my temperature is.
Why do you lay on your tummy? That way your buttocks will likely touch each other and block direct access to anus, so they will have to be spread manually. I find it much more comfortable to lay on one side or the back and bend in the hips so the gluteus maximus muscles are extended and give better access. It will also give more room to move your hand behind a leg for easy insertion and extraction of the thermometer.

Chess said:
Why do you lay on your tummy? That way your buttocks will likely touch each other and block direct access to anus, so they will have to be spread manually. I find it much more comfortable to lay on one side or the back and bend in the hips so the gluteus maximus muscles are extended and give better access. It will also give more room to move your hand behind a leg for easy insertion and extraction of the thermometer.
To me, it's traditional - and more comfortable during the time the temperature's being taken. Also, I'm not the one putting in the thermometer.

Chess said:
It only need to take two minutes. I should know as I have done it all my live hundreds of times at home and in hospitals as rectal is the normal method where I live.
For a mercury thermometer, yes. For a galistan thermometer, 4-5 minutes is recommended.

sbmccue said:
About 20 years ago, I had a CNA babysitting me. One afternoon while I was sitting on the carpet playing, she put her hand to my forehead and said I felt warm. She asked if I had a baby thermometer, and I told her where it was. Next thing I knew, she had me lying on my back in my adult-sized crib. She took off my wet diaper and turned me on my side, then used Vaseline to gently 'prep' me for the thermometer, which was one of the old glass Mercury-filled types.

Once she'd inserted the thermometer, she began rotating it gently, which felt absolutely wonderful. I still remember that sensation!

Rectal temps became an occasional element of our babysitting sessions from then on. I absolutely loved those experiences.

Last year, I had a pediatric nurse babysit a few times. She took my temperature once, using a forehead thermometer, which wasn't nearly as much fun.
What is a CNA ?

Reactions: sbmccue and DLPJ

Hee, hee.

• Haha
I had NO IDEA it was even possible to get a rectal thermometer anymore! They are so much more accurate. *orders one immediately*

Back