diaperfooties

🍼
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Little
If someone needs diapers because of a mental need like abdl would you consider that need equal to that of someone that is incontinent?

DanielW said:
Personally, Yes I do. Comfort objects are a perfectly healthy thing to use in the treatment of anxiety, phobias, and other mental conditions. If Diapers help someone live and/or work more comfortably, I think that's great.

What do you think or feel about it yourself?
For me it is very hard to say I think because I have always kind of felt bad that I wanted to wear diapers without any physical issues. I would say yes the need is the same but let me ask another question.

Would you feel right about insurance covering diapers for someone that is not incontinent?

DanielW said:
I Think its perfectly acceptable for diapers to be covered by insurance. In fact, I happen to know that my psychaitrist as prescribed diapers. He would have for me as I was reluctant to wear diapers despite my IC issues because I feltsuch fear and shame over needing and wearing them. Both he and my doctor were willing to in order to legitimize them for me and make it easier for me to manage my physical and mental health.

Its also why I talked about wearing diapers to a therapy session in another thread the other day.
Makes sense when you put it that way. I would try but I doubt I could get my insurance to do abythi g like that and especially for metal.

DanielW said:
BUT would you feel better about yourself if you had an actual prescription? whether or not you use insurnace to pay for them.
So basically validation by medical professional? If that is what you mean I have never even thought of it before if I were to be honest and tell them why I need diapers I would probably feel better.

They mentally do keep me calmer

Reactions: Sidewinder and diaperfooties
I can only speak for myself and I'd say it's not the same level as someone who was fully incontinent. Diapers are important to me and I think I'll always be an ABDL but I'm pretty sure I could go on with my life without diapers. They make things better and I can't imagine I'd ever stop thinking about them but they aren't a necessity.

Reactions: Sidewinder, WillieSmalls, bakukid23 and 2 others
I was thinking the same as Trevor. In fact, I was going to say that I wish I could have talked my mom into accepting my psychological need for diapers. That said, I do agree that many of us, myself included, do have a psychological need to wear diapers. I just wouldn't equate it with the need for diapers that those who are legitimately incontinent have.

Reactions: WillieSmalls and JOCKMAN
I personally see it as the same. I’ve been a DL all my life and by the time I became an adult diapers used to be fun to use. Then due to anxiety I was diagnosed with pretty severe IBS causing IC. Over time I felt better because i was wearing them reducing my anxiety and IBS issues. I have had so many poopy accidents in underwear as an adult trying to convince myself I don’t need them. Later on I developed OAB from my IBS diagnosis. By the time I was 22 I was diapered full time. To this day I don’t always use them as my OAB causes minor leaks occasionally. But if I didn’t wear I’d have an accident due to anxiety of possibly having an accident. It’s purely a psychological thing for me.

Reactions: diaperfooties
Maybe not equal, but both are definitely legitimate

I think it's a little easier not being physically dependent on them as my Psychological need varies

Sometimes I am beyond stressed and have a huge psychological need for Diapers

Other times I am way less stressed or just dont feel like wearing/using diapers

With a physical need you may not be able to stop wearing diapers, even if you really wanted to and it caused you stress to need them and not be able to take a break.

Only time I had accidents past when I was a Baby/Toddler was in Elementary school, that was pretty bad, but the problem was fixed with a surgery and I never had a physical need after that.

I would like to think they're equal, but don't believe society as a whole would agree. Think of how long it took to get mental illness on equal footing with physical illness in most insurance policies...the ACA going live in 2014? And it's obviously less work getting a doctor to sign off on physical incontinence vs. a psychological need for diapers. It's for the same reason that I contribute only sparingly to the Incontinence forum.

Well, there's the need to keep one's mental calm, or peace, which isn't the same as IC, but Is just as real, and I consider fine. There's the need to keep one's personal congruence and authenticity, which is important, and I think people understand, even if they don't understand how diapers could possibly relate to that, but isn't on the same level as IC. For some people, there's even the need to reset one's nervous system. I'm sure that makes zero sense to those who have a nervous system that isn't scrambled eggs, and I'm sorry for not being able to explain it better. For people with diapers as a sensory need, it can actually cause functional IC, because toilets aren't a working choice. Then there are sexual needs. Those are psychological, but shouldn't be satisfied in public.

Last edited:
Great topic to bring up! Interesting for good consideration. I was on / off with accidents as a young boy and at age 8 it really hit me that wearing protection was something I needed and as my best friend's mother told me, "isn't it better to only wet your diaper and plastic underpants instead of your sheets, pjs and bed? No one sees your wet diapers yet wet sheets , etc. are obvious to everyone.

So mentally and psychologically, the final feeling and understanding of this success if incontinent or needing that "confidence and good feeling" of being a DL is a bit of the same. Obviously, physically, it is not the same as enjoying the comfort level can be lost as a DL if one does not wear their diapers but for an IC person they pay a penalty of wet sheets and physical discomfort if they do not wear.

Very interesting conversation.

I would say that for me, accepting myself fully - namely, accepting my desires/fixation/kink regarding wearing and using diapers - has been a huge help to my overall psychological well-being. One could argue, I suppose, that actually going through with the desire and actually using/wearing diapers is an entirely different aspect from merely accepting it in concept. But that seems kind of ridiculous to me. They seem kind of hand-in-hand or essentially — how can I say that I fully accept myself if I dont actually do the thing I purportedly accept?

Anyways, following this line of reasoning, it is certainly in my very best psychological interest to use diapers — and as such, I don’t think it’s a super far stretch to categorize using/wearing diapers as a psychological need.

It’s probably a bit more of a jump to link that need with a “physical” need — although, in all honesty, I do think that depriving myself of diapers has and does cause me actual physical symptoms.

diaperfooties said:
For me it is very hard to say I think because I have always kind of felt bad that I wanted to wear diapers without any physical issues. I would say yes the need is the same but let me ask another question.

Would you feel right about insurance covering diapers for someone that is not incontinent?
Yes

right now stress about loss of a relationship is very high. Mega max, filled o the brim is very comfortable. Consciously I accept tapers as comfort and OK. But the title boys who was potty trained, still lurks in the back of consciousness. So it is a secret from most friends, who if they see the size doubled mega max, or hear the crinkle . chose not to notice. But the thicker the better.

Back