Ps5 showcase

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
So there was a small showcase for PS5 and basically they teased a few games including FF XVI, and the next God of War

And most importantly they announced the PS5 prices and release date

Also there is gonna be a Game-Pass Like thing for PS5 called "PS Plus Collection"

I was already gonna get a PS5 with a disc drive, but the PS Plus collection is a cool idea and they may sway over some Xbox fans with it and to me if you wanted to go digital, PS5 Digital Edition is a much better buy for $400 than the Xbox Series S for 300 with much weaker stats

PS5 is stated to do 4k at up to 120FPS

XBOX Series S is stated to do 120FPS at 1080p-1440p

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200916-172114_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200916-172114_Chrome.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Reactions: neophyte
Still waiting for the game to be announced that will entice me to buy a PS5. It'll happen at some point, I'm sure.

And, by that time, perhaps there'll be an attractive new form factor, heh. (That would be REALLY good!)

BabyTyrant said:
PS5 is stated to do 4k at up to 120FPS

XBOX Series S is stated to do 120FPS at 1080p-1440p

Stated doesnt equal truth and last gen proved that neither PS or Xbox could do the 4k mark to any decent degree with the Xbox probably being the best of the 2 since it had games that could run at Native 4k, with the downside of dynamic res scaling to even keep the game's running decently.

I have a better time believing the Xbox claim at this point with the 1080p claim as the PC market is finally getting GPUs that can hit 100+ frames with 4k Resolution if 3080 benchmarks are to believed. If memory serves correctly even the RTX 2080 couldn't get a consistent 60FPS with several games throughout its lifespan. the 2080TI could pull up to around 80-90FPS on less demanding games such as PUBG.

That being said some of the game trailers look nice but not enticing enough to warrant the purchase of the console.

Last edited:
Noodle said:
Stated doesnt equal truth and last gen proved that neither PS or Xbox could do the 4k mark to any decent degree with the Xbox probably being the best of the 2 since it had games that could run at Native 4k, with the downside of dynamic res scaling to even keep the game's running decently.

I have a better time believing the Xbox claim at this point with the 1080p claim as the PC market is finally getting GPUs that can hit 100+ frames with 4k Resolution if 3080 benchmarks are to believed. If memory serves correctly even the RTX 2080 couldn't get a consistent 60FPS with several games throughout its lifespan. the 2080TI could pull up to around 80-90FPS on less demanding games such as PUBG.

That being said some of the game trailers look nice but not enticing enough to warrant the purchase of the console.

Well the Series S is about the same power as a PS4 Pro, but would probably come out slightly more powerful in reality than the PS4 Pro since its newer/more efficient Architecture

So maybe it will hit 120FPS at 1080P, but probably not at 1440P, or at least not very often

And then there's the issue of Ray Tracing, with it turned on it will likely hit even lower FPS as more realistic graphics means lower FPS, so it won't hit both on roughly 4 TFlops

OTOH, the PS5 Digital is the same 10.28 Tflops as the Disc version of PS5, we already know developers are hitting over 60FPS at 4K since Quantum Error Developers said they were hitting 65-70FPS unoptimized

Plus there is Dirt 5 stated to hit 4K at 120FPS

So I could see some less demanding games hitting the claimed 4K/120FPS and more demanding ones hitting in the 60FPS area, especially if Ray Tracing is turned on

Either way if someone didn't care for the best resolution there will likely be options to play at lower resolution/Ray Tracing turned off and higher frame rates on most games coming out next generation

And we have had 7 years where not much stood out in Xboxs library and it seems like for every 1 (usually mediocre) exclusive on Xbox, PS4 would get 3 or 4 higher quality exclusives

Either way, if I wanted to go digital, $100 more for a much more powerful machine, with a much faster SSD and a controller with advanced features (Adaptive Triggers and a better Rumble that is less Generic) and arguably a higher degree of more proven quality games

That would be a very enticing $100 difference

And normally I dont upgrade from one Generation to the next so quickly

But, with last generation Backwards compatibility, that makes it an easy Day 1 purchase if they are in stock

Last edited:
You glasses are quiete blue, aren’t they? The PS5 DE (Digital Edition) is in no scenario a good choise.

1. Sony decided to raise the price of first party games bij 10€. I think it will be also 10$ for the USA.
—> Microsoft decided against that, btw.
2. Prices of physical games at launch are mostly 5 to 10€ under msrp. Andgo down in the weeks and months after introduction. Zanki Zero is still € 60 in the ps store. I bought it for 23€ a week ago, shipping included.
3. No option to use it as a mediaplayer because the lack of a BR player.
4. Microsoft has Game Pass, an all you can eat subscription with EA Play, over 150 games and the promise that every first party title will be released to GP.
And so on.

Microsoft bought more then a few studio’s, so you can expect some exclusives. And let’s not forget: you have to like the exclusives on the PS5. I for one have looked at the showcase with horror. I really don’t like the dark, twisted and voilent games that were shown. Microsoft’s showcase was not that much better, but they have Forza.

If you still don’t own a 4K TV, why would you buy a Series X or a PS5? With the Series S you are ready for the next gen. Period. And if you have? The SeriesX has more graphical power. And we have seen that games run better on the One X as on the PS4.

Just some nuances. Now I go back to my very red glasses. 😉

TDR said:
You glasses are quiete blue, aren’t they? The PS5 DE (Digital Edition) is in no scenario a good choise.

1. Sony decided to raise the price of first party games bij 10€. I think it will be also 10$ for the USA.
—> Microsoft decided against that, btw.
2. Prices of physical games at launch are mostly 5 to 10€ under msrp. Andgo down in the weeks and months after introduction. Zanki Zero is still € 60 in the ps store. I bought it for 23€ a week ago, shipping included.
3. No option to use it as a mediaplayer because the lack of a BR player.
4. Microsoft has Game Pass, an all you can eat subscription with EA Play, over 150 games and the promise that every first party title will be released to GP.
And so on.

Microsoft bought more then a few studio’s, so you can expect some exclusives. And let’s not forget: you have to like the exclusives on the PS5. I for one have looked at the showcase with horror. I really don’t like the dark, twisted and voilent games that were shown. Microsoft’s showcase was not that much better, but they have Forza.

If you still don’t own a 4K TV, why would you buy a Series X or a PS5? With the Series S you are ready for the next gen. Period. And if you have? The SeriesX has more graphical power. And we have seen that games run better on the One X as on the PS4.

Just some nuances. Now I go back to my very red glasses. 😉

I'm getting PS5 with the disc drive anyways, I was simply pointing out for $100 more (1/3rd extra) that the PS5 Digital Edition is a much better value than the Series S, outside of GamePass that is

I've been blown away by the graphics possible with a PS4 Pro and a game that was made to use the extra power over the base PS4, so I really dont see the use of a smidge of extra power besides a slightly higher frame rate

And PS5 also has a much faster SSD and advanced controller haptics

But, but, but. Again, you’re forgetting the Series X.

About the faster SSD: in PC gaming there is no big difference between fast and faster SSD’s. Don’t forget, where do you store the data that you can load so fast? The memory can only be filled and it has to go to the cpu or the gpu. I cannot believe that Microsoft make a system that will let the CPU, GPU and memory wait for data. But we will see, I am curious for the coming Series of reviews.

Don’t take me wrong: enjoy your PS5, but keep an open eye for the other systems.

I have to admit: after seeing both showcases I really would like to see a Switch with ray-tracing. Really. That will be the next big thing in gaming.

Going for the disk version seems the best choice in the long run. For the PS, at least. For the Xbox I’m not sure: I might consider the Series S as a secondary console. I like Forza, so does my son.

BabyTyrant said:
And we have had 7 years where not much stood out in Xboxs library and it seems like for every 1 (usually mediocre) exclusive on Xbox, PS4 would get 3 or 4 higher quality exclusives

Either way, if I wanted to go digital, $100 more for a much more powerful machine, with a much faster SSD and a controller with advanced features (Adaptive Triggers and a better Rumble that is less Generic) and arguably a higher degree of more proven quality games
Seems we're just falling into the argument of game preference in the long run then. As it stands for power we have been told generation after generation that these will decimate the competition with everything falling short of their promise. As it stands now if Xbox keeps to the $60 price tag with comparable or better power then in a demographic where the biggest sellers are Multiplat games and not exclusives then chances are they have already won the battle. That said the only real "king" that can run off exclusives at the time being is Nintendo and even then they designed the Switch to play in a niche market of portability, a market they have dominated since the Gameboy era.

Enjoy your games and for sure go to the one that has games you want to play but if we're going to talk specs do realize that out of the 3 Consoles the most unreliable and hyperbolic of the 3 has always been Sony. This generation will probably be the one where 60FPS 1080p might become the norm for both Microsoft and Sony but this 4k+RT nonsense is just an attempt to stay relevant to hobbyist level machines that shouldnt even be a concern to the Console market.

Last edited:
TDR said:
But, but, but. Again, you’re forgetting the Series X.

About the faster SSD: in PC gaming there is no big difference between fast and faster SSD’s. Don’t forget, where do you store the data that you can load so fast? The memory can only be filled and it has to go to the cpu or the gpu. I cannot believe that Microsoft make a system that will let the CPU, GPU and memory wait for data. But we will see, I am curious for the coming Series of reviews.

Don’t take me wrong: enjoy your PS5, but keep an open eye for the other systems.

I have to admit: after seeing both showcases I really would like to see a Switch with ray-tracing. Really. That will be the next big thing in gaming.

Going for the disk version seems the best choice in the long run. For the PS, at least. For the Xbox I’m not sure: I might consider the Series S as a secondary console. I like Forza, so does my son.
Noodle said:
Seems we're just falling into the argument of game preference in the long run then. As it stands for power we have been told generation after generation that these will decimate the competition with everything falling short of their promise. As it stands now if Xbox keeps to the $60 price tag with comparable or better power then in a demographic where the biggest sellers are Multiplat games and not exclusives then chances are they have already won the battle. That said the only real "king" that can run off exclusives at the time being is Nintendo and even then they designed the Switch to play in a niche market of portability, a market they have dominated since the Gameboy era.

Enjoy your games and for sure go to the one that has games you want to play but if we're going to talk specs do realize that out of the 3 Consoles the most unreliable and hyperbolic of the 3 has always been Sony. This generation will probably be the one where 60FPS 1080p might become the norm for both Microsoft and Sony but this 4k+RT nonsense is just an attempt to stay relevant to hobbyist level machines that shouldnt even be a concern to the Console market.

Well yeah, System performance is meaningless if they dont make games you would want to play

About the only Xbox 360 exclusive i cared for was Gears, so unless they come up with something new and exciting and high quality I can wont feel compelled to buy XsX over ps5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back