My adventure into cloth diapering.

Isle

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I have been at this for a year or more slowly gathering information and trying different products. I have come to a point where something seems to be working and I wanted to put it out there - also it would be nice to get feedback. I am a DL and also have a condition where I have to pee frequently, I can hold on only for so long. This is a particular problem at night where I would be up 6-8 times per night. I am also a heavy wetter it seems, as I keep myself hydrated.

I have been using either MegaMax or Crinklz at night, often with leaking, as I am a side sleeper. I have tried adding plastic pants with disposables but find when they do leak its a lot of liquid which the elastics cannot hold. I also hate adding so much to the landfill, and together with the cost of disposables have wanted to switch to cloth. I also had cloth as a baby, yummy!

My research led me to CTDC. I bought prefold and contour diapers plus soakers. I also got their PUL pant, which is quite roomy. (I also bought cheaper plastic pants from Rearz which were disappointing and not roomy) This combination sort of worked but still not enough capacity to get me through the night. Then I discovered the diaper covers at Rearz (not all in ones, just covers), which seemed to be the missing link for me. Some of the covers come with a pocket for more soakers which I need. These covers hold the bulk of diapers and soakers together, allowing me to add more. Over this go the PUL pants. I am impressed with how cloth wicks the moisture through all the material, and does not easily leak, just gets wet, and the PUL pants seem to do the job needed, as long as you don't have any diaper sticking out past the elastics.
I have been doing this now for 6 days, on 3 of those days I had leaks or had to change out in the middle of the night, but I also had 3 nights when I got through, so with tweaking I am hopeful I can make it work. The prefolds are better than contours because there is more material that absorbs. It all seems to be a matter of getting enough material packed in. Now I need to buy more of the covers with pockets and more prefolds.

Before I do more purchasing though, I wanted to get feedback from you cloth aficionados. Is there something here I am missing?

just to check , you’re not using fabric softener are you ?
Also they’ll get more absorbent with more washing

parcelboy2 said:
just to check , you’re not using fabric softener are you ?
Also they’ll get more absorbent with more washing
Been through about 10 washes, no softeners. Thanks

Isle said:
Try an extra stuffer

Isle said:

Also, as I understand it you'll want to use special diaper-friendly detergent to avoid a build-up that reduces absorbency.

I haven't tested this myself. I've just gone with other people's recommendations. I use Rockin' Green but I'm sure there are other good choices. They have different kinds of detergent for hard and soft water.

Square_Cropped-23_540x.png

We put some powdered Borax in with each load of any laundry. It helps prevent buildup.

I only wear cloth diapers and cloth inserts. Been using them for years and have laundered them in much the same way my mother did in the 50's and 60's when I needed diapers for my bedwetting. Basically I follow the same directions that both ACDC and Rearz recommends, use detergent, no softeners, thorough wash, dry outside on line if possible. Avoid anything that might coat the cotton fibers in your diapers. Never had a problem with odor or capacity.

Reactions: WillFord384 and Seasonedcitizen
Back