Moderating fecal incontinence.

CrossfireHurricane

longtime complete incontinent
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
In a different thread I wrote about F-IC but it got side-tracked by other (sometimes angry) members. I would hope I could talk and ask about how to moderate fecal incontinence. I just hope we don't get side-tracked again because it might be shut down for "not open for further replies" and the questions are important.

Having urinal incontinence isn't actually easier. But I think many agree that F-IC is simply more difficult for managing. U-IC and F-IC, at least for most, diapers are required.
I've always been diaper dependent. Not sure if it was better for someone who has always been diapered verses being newly IC. I haven't had anything different. And I've accepted IC for quite a while. It's not new.

Having to wear a diaper makes working for a career is burdensome and stressful. U-IC means changing can be difficult but it can be managed. It's different than F-IC. I rarely have daytime BM accidents. Most of the accidents are nocturnal or early morning. So I don't really worry about these accidents while working. In fact I haven't had a BM while working. I have had a few when I was shopping or simply being out in public but like I said it's rare.

Trying to moderate BM accidents can make life much easier. Diet plans, using internal deodorant and physical exercise are the obvious moderation. Diet is important.
For quite a while I've added more fiber and psyllium. Most by my internist advice. Increased bulk and easier elimination. It caused more frequency (usually twice a day) but the consistency is much better (mostly solid, not firm). I've also used chlorophyll (Nullo) so BM odor is extremely limited. And everyday I exercise (walking and cycling).

What do you do for moderating BM accidents. A quality diaper is also important too. What kind of foods do you eat? And the timing? How about the type of exercise? What do you add for moderating?

Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
  • Cut out, or radically reduce oily foods, particularly fried foods (hash browns are the worst offender)
  • Eliminate coffee (this leads me to F-IC in an hour or two)
  • Eliminate apples/pears and related juices and sauces (apple cider will clean me out)
  • Cut out cabbage (I liked cole slaw) and cruciferous vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli etc.
  • Reduced consumption of peaches / juices
  • Watch intake of fast foods (mostly due to fries cooked in oil)
  • Consume some cheese daily to help reduce/eliminate diarrhea (as someone else called it "hinder binder")
For me, that alone is not enough because the Janumet (with metformin) causes diarrhea after 3-4 hours after breakfast.

My cause of IC is many years of diabetes (type 2), which causes nerve damage. Diarrhea alone used to be controllable. But when the U-IC developed, my control over diarrhea weakened leading sometimes to F-IC. Coffee seems to guarantee F-IC now, so that was like quitting smoking. I had to quit it to avoid disaster. The battle continues...

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and CrossfireHurricane
slimjiminy said:
The battle continues...
It sounds like your medical issues complicated everything. Diabetes makes everything more difficult. Good on you. How you've done this is beyond me. Amazing.

Reactions: Diprs2
slimjiminy said:
  • Cut out, or radically reduce oily foods, particularly fried foods (hash browns are the worst offender)
  • Eliminate coffee (this leads me to F-IC in an hour or two)
  • Eliminate apples/pears and related juices and sauces (apple cider will clean me out)
  • Cut out cabbage (I liked cole slaw) and cruciferous vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli etc.
  • Reduced consumption of peaches / juices
  • Watch intake of fast foods (mostly due to fries cooked in oil)
  • Consume some cheese daily to help reduce/eliminate diarrhea (as someone else called it "hinder binder")
For me, that alone is not enough because the Janumet (with metformin) causes diarrhea after 3-4 hours after breakfast.

My cause of IC is many years of diabetes (type 2), which causes nerve damage. Diarrhea alone used to be controllable. But when the U-IC developed, my control over diarrhea weakened leading sometimes to F-IC. Coffee seems to guarantee F-IC now, so that was like quitting smoking. I had to quit it to avoid disaster. The battle continues...
As the t-shirt says, "Coffee makes me poop" - it's true for many!

AttilaThePun said:
As the t-shirt says, "Coffee makes me poop" - it's true for many!
I love coffee. Perhaps one or two but that's it. Drinking coffee stimulates BM's for many. If I hadn't had a BM while sleeping they happen after my first coffee. I don't mind because I prefer to be emptied before I go to work. Once I get there I usually drink tea (non-caffeine).

CrossfireDiaperHurricane said:
I love coffee. Perhaps one or two but that's it. Drinking coffee stimulates BM's for many. If I hadn't had a BM while sleeping they happen after my first coffee.
Yep. I used to have a coffee before I did my Saturday morning errands. But that proved to be a very bad idea as I would end up in the middle of a big store, with the BM trying to explode out of my rear end.

On one occasion I had to urgently baby step my way to the cashier, and then across the parking lot to the car. Sitting helped me hold it, until I got home and into the driveway....

Reactions: Diprs2 and AttilaThePun
slimjiminy said:
Yep. I used to have a coffee before I did my Saturday morning errands. But that proved to be a very bad idea as I would end up in the middle of a big store, with the BM trying to explode out of my rear end.

On one occasion I had to urgently baby step my way to the cashier, and then across the parking lot to the car. Sitting helped me hold it, until I got home and into the driveway....
I rarely have an accident in public. Most of the time I've already had a dirty diaper when I get up. But if I haven't, I know it's only a matter of time.
I rarely get diarrhea (which I hate). The stool is mostly solid (~semi-soft) but with using psyllium, they can be pretty large. I've never been able to hold it that long. I experience extremely strong urgency and I have little or no control. Within a few minutes I'm done. In the morning I wait until the accident before I take a shower. I don't want to take a chance with taking off my diaper until it happens.

Reactions: Diprs2 and AttilaThePun
slimjiminy said:

A long-ago friend of mine used to refer to that type of walk as "the frog march" - as in "I thought it was only gonna be a fart, but I had to do the frog march to my car and drive home to clean up and change clothes."

• Haha
Reactions: Diprs2 and slimjiminy
slimjiminy said:

Did you only manage to hold it in as far as the driveway? That would be so frustrating!

I rarely have an accident in public. Most of the time I've already had a dirty diaper when I get up. But if I haven't, I know it's only a matter of time.
I rarely get diarrhea (which I hate). The stool is mostly solid (~semi-soft) but with using psyllium, they can be pretty large. I've never been able to hold it that long. I experience extremely strong urgency and I have little or no control. Within a few minutes I'm done. In the morning I wait until the accident before I take a shower. I don't want to take a chance with taking off my diaper until it happens.
Very wise! Even bomb squad professionals know the value of a containment vessel.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Zeke
AttilaThePun said:
Did you only manage to hold it in as far as the driveway? That would be so frustrating!
Yes. But getting from the car to the bathroom inside was impossible.

On another occasion, I was out in the grocery store parking lot loading the bags into my truck when it started to become really urgent. I normally would have returned the grocery cart to get my quarter back. But this time I just pushed it away from the truck in a hurry (in a shove) and jumped in and started driving home. Again, sitting helped me hold it back but I was undone at the back door of the house trying to unlock and get the door open.

I am U/F-IC. I try my best to stick to a void schedule for BMs but not always lucky. Additionally sometimes deal with seepage, so that can be challenging, too. IBS and nerve issues suck.

For BM's I that can't make the restroom for, that's an instant change. With timed voids, my body has a schedule that is fairly reliable, so I do my best not to have messes. I can deal with a wet diaper. I CANNOT deal with a dirty diaper. That has to get changed as soon as possible.

If you can't acclimate to timed voids, you can try abdominal massages on the toilet during changes. Those can be used to stimulate the bowels into action if things aren't progressing.

Otherwise there's always the good ol' enema. That will get things cleaned out for sure! Just lots of work and waiting to make sure you're emptied out.

I didn't need to train into a schedule, but the above techniques might assist someone who wants to. I had my schedule from before I was F-IC. Otherwise my BM's usually time up with my change schedule for obvious reasons. I have never tried internal deodorizers though it's something I should probably look into.

Copied in from the previous thread for visibility.

Reactions: Diprs2, jdinvirginia and AttilaThePun
I have recently started a drug called linzess around 8 pm. My fecal IC has became more regular at night or early morning. I can not take fiber and things due to having GP. Having my random poop attacks lined up to early morning has been a game changer. I just hope I can stay on the same schedule... Also I am glad my insurance will cover the linzess as it is $20 per pill.

slimjiminy said:
Yes. But getting from the car to the bathroom inside was impossible.

On another occasion, I was out in the grocery store parking lot loading the bags into my truck when it started to become really urgent. I normally would have returned the grocery cart to get my quarter back. But this time I just pushed it away from the truck in a hurry (in a shove) and jumped in and started driving home. Again, sitting helped me hold it back but I was undone at the back door of the house trying to unlock and get the door open.
Yikes! I'm so sorry!! I've peed myself just as I got my key in the door lock, but unexpected BMs are the worst!

I'd have skipped getting my quarter back, too.

Diaperman95 said:
I have recently started a drug called linzess around 8 pm. My fecal IC has became more regular at night or early morning. I can not take fiber and things due to having GP. Having my random poop attacks lined up to early morning has been a game changer. I just hope I can stay on the same schedule... Also I am glad my insurance will cover the linzess as it is $20 per pill.
I recall seeing a drug store sign: "Pooping too much? Not pooping enough? We can probably help!"

Also, $20 per pill? Damn! (Probably why it's not on the formulary for my coverage!)

AttilaThePun said:
I recall seeing a drug store sign: "Pooping too much? Not pooping enough? We can probably help!"

Also, $20 per pill? Damn! (Probably why it's not on the formulary for my coverage!)
I a trying to get on a new one called Motegerty. She claims it is said to be very helpful in off label treatment for Gastroparesis as well as IBS-C. But evidently it cost about twice what linzess cost and my insurance is making me use the linzess instead. Sad because I have pretty good insurance. The linzess cost me1o bucks out of pocket. Most my meds are free or $4.15. But anything to do with GP is stupid expensive. I had one drug they have used off label to treat GP since the 60's. It came out in 53 and was an antibiotic. Except it made peoples stomach overactive. It was on the $e dollar list at Wal-Mart for years and they only used it to treat GP off label. So one DAY right before I developed GP the Drug company filed for a new patent and listed it as a gastric Stimulant instead. They was granted it and the Drug never Changed Name dosage looks or nothing. But My pharmacy told me his cost without insurance on the drug was $1800 for one month of pills. My insurance left me just over $300 a month to pay and did for months. Then I find the same med in Canada for $75 a month. I did that while but was able to get off of it with my stimulator. Drug companies are The DEVIL!!!!!!! Plain and simple pure Greed on this as the drug has been sold foe 80 years now.

Don't get me going on the racket in our health system. A lot of people industry in the need to trade their Super Yachts in for a super max 8'x10'.

My apology to Crossfire Diaper Hurricane & everyone else for getting off topic. If anyone else has used Motegerty or even Linzess I would love to hear their thoughts on how it worked for them.

Most people do not realize constipation can be one of the #1 causes of Fecal Incontinence. Getting things to move correct and be predictable is a must! Often constipation stops our bowels making a blockage for our solids and then our body will make loose stool to try and clear it. But the issue is the liquid will push right around the impacted stool that if low enough in the rectum is even helping hold the rectum open. Or anyway at least so I am told by a GI doctor that is smarter than I on the subject.

I am a mess with IBS, GP and Chronic pain meds none of which work good together.

Reactions: Diprs2, jdinvirginia and AttilaThePun
Well, I think it’s well known that you can often regulate the whole thing with psyllium husks and fibre. In the end, however, the reason for incontinence is always decisive. If the whole thing is "only" a sphincter problem, then you can do a lot. It becomes much more difficult if, for example, nerve damage also affects the intestinal peristalsis or IBS is added. What is the cause of your incontinence?

Reactions: Diprs2 and Seasblewin
Diaperman95 said:
I a trying to get on a new one called Motegerty. She claims it is said to be very helpful in off label treatment for Gastroparesis as well as IBS-C. But evidently it cost about twice what linzess cost and my insurance is making me use the linzess instead. Sad because I have pretty good insurance. The linzess cost me1o bucks out of pocket. Most my meds are free or $4.15. But anything to do with GP is stupid expensive. I had one drug they have used off label to treat GP since the 60's. It came out in 53 and was an antibiotic. Except it made peoples stomach overactive. It was on the $e dollar list at Wal-Mart for years and they only used it to treat GP off label. So one DAY right before I developed GP the Drug company filed for a new patent and listed it as a gastric Stimulant instead. They was granted it and the Drug never Changed Name dosage looks or nothing. But My pharmacy told me his cost without insurance on the drug was $1800 for one month of pills. My insurance left me just over $300 a month to pay and did for months. Then I find the same med in Canada for $75 a month. I did that while but was able to get off of it with my stimulator. Drug companies are The DEVIL!!!!!!! Plain and simple pure Greed on this as the drug has been sold foe 80 years now.

Don't get me going on the racket in our health system. A lot of people industry in the need to trade their Super Yachts in for a super max 8'x10'.

My apology to Crossfire Diaper Hurricane & everyone else for getting off topic. If anyone else has used Motegerty or even Linzess I would love to hear their thoughts on how it worked for them.

Most people do not realize constipation can be one of the #1 causes of Fecal Incontinence. Getting things to move correct and be predictable is a must! Often constipation stops our bowels making a blockage for our solids and then our body will make loose stool to try and clear it. But the issue is the liquid will push right around the impacted stool that if low enough in the rectum is even helping hold the rectum open. Or anyway at least so I am told by a GI doctor that is smarter than I on the subject.

I am a mess with IBS, GP and Chronic pain meds none of which work good together.
Yep, chronic pain meds tend to be constipation-inducing. Even the non-opiods can bind up your bowels (I know this from personal experience). Sometimes insurance will eventually cover a non-formulary med if you've worked your way through all the covered options and none of them work for you, but it's a laborious and annoying process.

Reactions: Diprs2, Diaperman95 and jdinvirginia
Diet is important. For quite a while I've added more fiber and psyllium. Most by my internist advice. Increased bulk and easier elimination. It caused more frequency (usually twice a day) but the consistency is much better (mostly solid, not firm). I've also used chlorophyll (Nullo) so BM odor is extremely limited. And everyday I exercise (walking and cycling).

What do you do for moderating BM accidents. What kind of foods do you eat? And the timing? How about the type of exercise? What do you add for moderating?
I think diet is probably the biggest thing for moderating BM's. Beside physical activity (daily), I try to eat healthy. Most of the time I start with a large bowl of Total cereal. Good fiber (4g/14%) and stuffed with vitamins (and skim milk). I also have a large salad everyday (romaine, tomato, cucumber and a little chunks of turkey. Vegetables? I love all of them. For protein I eat poultry and fish. I do like beef but I limit it (~ twice a week). And I love yoghurt.

I take psyllium husk everyday so it increases bulk and allows smooth elimination. My BM's are large but I'm never constipated or on the other hand rarely sloppy. It doesn't hurt to use chlorophyll (limit odor).

With diet, a physical work out and a quality diaper, BM's are helpful for moderating. Bowel incontinence is challenging at best. Terrible or dreadful at worst. Everything I've done is to make incontinence easier. It's not perfect but incontinence isn't fatal.

Reactions: AttilaThePun, Diprs2 and AccidentsHappen
Back