Looking For Recommendations - Waterproof Mattress Protector

PupSpaz

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
Leaks happen, and it's better if they're more contained when it happens on the bed. I'm annoyed that I'm replacing my mattress protector yet again after a moderate leak and realizing it's no longer waterproof... Silent / breathable apparently means not long term durable...

I do tend to sleep hot, so will always need a good layer of fabric to allow air circulation over the waterproof part. All in one "breathable" / washable products are getting a bit frustrating... I don't wash the mattress protector regularly with the sheets unless there's a good reason to / needs it. I've also tried reusable bed pads, but they tend to shift around or are in the wrong spot when a leak happens (realizing they can also go under the sheets) meaning full mattress protection is the most prudent and simplest.

What brands or products have you been happy with for full mattress protection? Looking for something that lasts or at least obvious it's time to replace vs. discovering that it's no longer effective because it didn't work. Are rubber sheets still available / comfortable with a layer or two of fabric on top? Is there a brand you found that is actually durable and effective in the long term after multiple washings? Obviously a non-absorbent material on its own won't need laundered, just wiped down if needed. Should I just go buy some thick plastic and cover the top of the mattress with it instead, lol?

Last edited:
I use Masterguard Cooltouch mattress protector
100% waterproof but also had soft outer cover so doesn't feel like sleeping on plastic
also keeps you feeling cool all night

Reactions: PupSpaz and BigAl2
These are supposed to be excellent albeit a tad expensive, most mattress protectors that use TPU or PUL will be quite good and an old fashioned rubber sheet is excellent but very hard to get a hold of nowadays.

Silentnight also make some good protectors and these ones from Emma-sleep are really highly rated but very expensive, these use PUL.

One thing you want to look for when buying a fitted mattress protector is if it has the waterproofing on the skirts (side portions), many covers have a waterproof/resistant top but if you leak enough that it reaches the edge of the mattress there is nothing on the side to stop wee getting under it.

Then there is also the idea of using more than one type of protection so you could put a waterproof fitted protector on the mattress as a fall back and then on top use a Kylie pad which offers absorbency and waterproofing over a large area, with a fitted sheet on top of that for comfort, if you do happen to leak you may just have to change the kylie pad and if you manage to leak over the edge of that the fitted protector will keep your mattress dry.

Reactions: PupSpaz and BigAl2
Just recently bought,
Screenshot_20231218-221419-01.jpeg
Screenshot_20231218-221441-01.jpeg
for my new mattress. It was about £15.
I was surprised/wary by how thin it was, but it seems okay, so far.
Makers and brands seem to be pretty localized, so I wouldn't go solely by a name.
Traditional PVC and rubber ones available, but take a bit of searching for. I picked up a couple of cheap PVC ones for £1:20 from our local bargain bucket shop.

Along with the usual bedsheets, I use synthetic fleece blankets as top sheets to lay upon. They allow airflow and are cool (or not hot) and dry to the feel in summer, and warm and cosy in winter. I also use them to cover my pillow (handy for drooling 🤭).

Reactions: BigAl2
I forgot the mattress name but I ordered a waterpriof cover also. It is a pain to takeoff and put back on so I put a large sheet of painters drop cloth over it.

ade said:
Traditional PVC and rubber ones available, but take a bit of searching for. I picked up a couple of cheap PVC ones for £1:20 from our local bargain bucket shop.
I've been searching a long time to find a decent proper rubber sheet that'll fit my bed so hard to find them in the UK.

I am actually kinda tempted to get some fabric. We have a Cameron Balloon place in Bristol (they make hot air balloons), they used to sell bags of offcut material for a couple £ often decent sized pieces too, enough that my mum once made a hoochie for our camping that was about 6x5 meters, looked a little like this.

Image result for camping hoochie

The nylon fabric they use is that non tearable nylon (like it's covered in little squares), very thin and light weight. But we have used that hoochie over a fire pit for so many years and it is super waterproof still, to the point we have to lift it regularly in the rain cause it pools up.

I wonder how it would hold up as a mattress protector? Could be marketable alongside my nappies onesies and AB clothing if I ever get round to setting up an Etsy store.

I use multilayer waterproof full zippable mattress protectors one on the mattress then the mattress cover then one over the mattress cover and finally the breathable fitted mattress protector that I once a month I spray it with camp dry or similar, one can last three to four months

I have just received a brand new rubber sheet and it's fantastic.
Proper mackintosh rubber and takes me back to my childhood.
Not too expensive and about 4 days delivery to the uk.
Personally I much prefer rubber rather than pvc.

PupSpaz said:
I've also tried reusable bed pads, but they tend to shift around or are in the wrong spot when a leak happens (realizing they can also go under the sheets) meaning full mattress protection is the most prudent and simplest.
If you decide to give reusable bed pads a try again, I would recommend a very large size one that covers almost all of your bed, or at least is under most of your body. I have had times where I leaked on a pad and it was too close to the border or I leaked too much and it spilled over on my bed (which also has a protective sheet, but it even seeped through that :(). For example, a 44" x 52" pad (example).

Reactions: PupSpaz
Back