It keeps getting worse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Batt

Contributor
Been on Myrbetriq for almost two months now it’s reduced bladder spasms a bit and by that I mean minuet.. Has it reduced sudden urgency no not really. I still get strong urges and can feel the urine rushing towards the exit, when I stand up or when sitting. I can barely manage to stop it as I run to the bathroom where the second I get on the toilet the dam fails.. I’ve managed to avoid major accidents so far.. But this is an annoyance I’m getting tired of. The other problem is well getting Myrbetriq, medicaid doesn't cover it and blanked me over on the pharmaceutical company program after falsely telling them it required prior authorization. I go to the urologist this afternoon and I think I’m gonna throw in the towel. Am I foolishly giving up? If you were in my shoes what would u do?

I don't blame you for wanting to give up. But it probably not good advice. My last doctor has put me off doctors as he cost my wife and I about $80,000.00 in lost income and if I hadn't decided to ignore his advice and stop taking the medication he was giving me I would have ended up in hospital. But I guess not all doctors are as bad as he was. I hope things work out for you, good luck

Reactions: Jim100
No, don't give up. Ask the doctor if there is a generic for that med that your insurance will cover, and if there is an alternative drug. Also ask if he/she knows if coupons are available. Use the GoodRX app to look for the lowest price in your area.

Warning: I'm totally incompetent but cannot resist pushing the boundaries of my incompetence. Everything I claim here is layman's babble. Believing it or not is totally up to you. 😜

As far as I can tell, Myrbetriq is the only FDA approved med containing Mirabegron. https://www.drugs.com/ingredient/mirabegron.html
A month's supply costs about $369. That's not fun. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirabegron

There are however cheaper meds with other ingredients that could have similar but slightly different effects and side effects. A month's supply of Oxybutenin (brand name Ditropan and others) costs only about $14 and Oxybutenin is more often prescribed than Mirabegron. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxybutynin

Ask your doc why one is preferred over the other in your case.

Reactions: KitsuneFox
Everyone reacts different to the different drugs out there for this. I won't say flat out give up, but I would sit down with your partner and really discuss the options. My urologists, yes I had two, both tried everything they could even tried botox injections in my bladder. Nothing worked. The Botox helped a little more than any drug did, but it was considered surgry and was very expensive. Strange thing was at the time my insurance would cover a lot of the Botox expense but would not cover diaper expenses. Once the urologists saw how I was able to enjoy live and have a quaility of life I needed to live because I wore diapers they finally noted that diapers are the best thing for me. Even though there is an expense for all the diapers I go through, it's still a lot cheaper than the drugs and dealing with any and all the side effects they caused me.

So sit down, put the pros and cons down, talk with the doctor about the pros and cons, explain what is most important to you on what you need in order to live a quality of life that you need to live and then go from there.

Reactions: chuck, joemama and Batt
DippyDawg said:
No, don't give up. Ask the doctor if there is a generic for that med that your insurance will cover, and if there is an alternative drug. Also ask if he/she knows if coupons are available. Use the GoodRX app to look for the lowest price in your area.

no generics in this type medication and with a coupon it's $427 a month.. The pharmo has a program to get it free but the idiots at the insurance messed it up so its up in the air atm.. Being in fear of accidents or the near constant urgency is not a life I’m interested in having. Right now I’d rate Myrbetriq a 3.5 out of 10.. I see the urologist in 30 minutes where a discussion is going to happen I’ll let you all know whats said.

Reactions: DippyDawg
Botox is next but I also got an Rx for pads just in case. Toilet first but pads for safety and embarrassment prevention..

I tried the same drugs and had little improvement, and still had accidents. I rather give up the drugs and cost, and go full time with a diaper. It was a hard choice for the Dr to understand, but at the end of the at best I was 60% better, but still wetting and had to have a pad of some fashion. Everyone does react differently so as always your mileage might vary, but it sounds similar.

joemama said:
I tried the same drugs and had little improvement, and still had accidents. I rather give up the drugs and cost, and go full time with a diaper. It was a hard choice for the Dr to understand, but at the end of the at best I was 60% better, but still wetting and had to have a pad of some fashion. Everyone does react differently so as always your mileage might vary, but it sounds similar.

it took me a lot to ask for pads, but i'm done letting my fear of accidents rule my life. Using the toilet is obviously the main goal but having some protection will ease fear and prevent emmbarassment.

• Love
Reactions: Dinotopian2002, checkingoutall, joemama and 1 other person
There is NO SHAME in wearing diapers, especially if you have to. Most of us here do.

• Love
Reactions: Dinotopian2002, Jim100, chuck and 2 others
got my first shipment of product. Been using a male guard during the day which catches any leaks on the way to the bathroom. At night I’ve been doing a trial run with a full on brief, for better coverage and honestly it’s not giving me much confidence in the control department. Several times i woken up at night and in the morning and found the brief considerably wet with no memory of wetting. I mean i typically drip a bit on my way to and after the bathroom, and while I’ve certainly had an accident or two. It’s a bit of a dramatic turns of events to experience this.. So frustrating sigh I cannot help but wonder if i’m a downhill slide into full loss of control especially with the night wetting.

Get your self some taped diapers like rearz new hybrid diaper it has velco like tapes that can be unfastened and refastened so you can still use the bathroom but will be fully protected incase you do not. With your indication you have nightly accidents and pee before you make it to the bathroom you may indeed be on the path to control loss but keep trying to make it and try Kegal exercises (Your urologist can refer you to a nurse for proper training with an incontinence nurse)

Batt said:
Using the toilet is obviously the main goal.
On the contrary, my goal is to go about my business, ignoring even the existence of a toilet by being diapered up 24/7, which I have done for the last nine months. For example, one thought Ditropan XL (oxybutynin) would help me with the OAB (overactive bladder) even though I have GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), so one had the prescription filled. The result is that I pee infrequently but void much pee when I do pee--coupled with my IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), being diapered up 24/7 works great. I would not ask for anything else. Any control loss has not and will not affect me.

Last edited:
Medication can help reduce your incontinence, but it can’t always be 100% effective. I tried a LOT of bladder control drugs, and I found Mirabegron to be the most effective with the fewest side effects. However because my IC is caused by nerve damage, it cannot cure it.

Keep in mind there are four main types of incontinence (stress, overflow, functional and mixed) and so one drug can’t fix all of them.

These days I still take it, to reduce the number of wettings I have, but I still need to wear diapers 24/7 to manage it. It’s a belts-and-braces approach.

If the medication is helping, but is not 100% you may need to think about doing the same, just as a precaution.

Breathe Deep, Seek Peace
Dinotopian2002

Reactions: Deleted member 57387
I am with you both and stopped the drugs and just live with it at this point just fine

Reactions: Deleted member 57387
Myrbetriq is the only medication that gave me any benefit for my incontinence, with the only side effect having a slightly dry mouth. That said, I started having continuous issues with retention because of it. When I hit the drug gap in Medicare Part D, it wasn't my bladder leaking like crazy, but my wallet. After talking with my urologist, we decided it was best to come off of it, because of the retention issue and leaky wallet issue.

One thing that I realized while taking Myrbetriq was that it was the first time in my life that I didn't feel like I always needed to pee. I had never felt that before. Really amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back