is windows 11 real or just rumored

don't even worry about it. you can stay on windows 10 for a few more years. windows 11 doesn't offer anything amazing (yet?). and some things are still allegedly glitchy sometimes. my opinion might be biased, but I am saying this based on what I have actually heard. to me, win 11 sounds slightly more pretty, but overall a downgrade. so far.

CPDude said:
My hand built computer tells me I have to make some bios edits to be ready for windows 11. Not sure if I should do it and don’t know how to. I can take a screenshot if needed to show you what I am talking about
I think I know what you mean when you say you have to edit the bios. You have to turn on TPM in order to get windows to install now I am not sure what bios you have but that is what I had to do.

Reactions: ShippoFox and KrankyPants
ShippoFox said:
don't even worry about it. you can stay on windows 10 for a few more years. windows 11 doesn't offer anything amazing (yet?). and some things are still allegedly glitchy sometimes. my opinion might be biased, but I am saying this based on what I have actually heard. to me, win 11 sounds slightly more pretty, but overall a downgrade. so far.
I see.

GabeG28 said:
I think I know what you mean when you say you have to edit the bios. You have to turn on TPM in order to get windows to install now I am not sure what bios you have but that is what I had to do.
Same here. Had to turn on TPM. What is cool is even after resetting CMOS with a jumper TPM was still enabled. 🤔 Guess I'd have to reflash it if for some reason I'd want it off again.

Last edited:
I'm even more annoyed again. I just read that Windows 11 was actually supposed to be an update to Win10 that everyone was going to get. But they decided to make it a new OS because of marketing crap and profits. "New laptop with windows 11!" sounds better and less confusing than "New laptop with windows 10 update 22318739182" (I made up that number though) https://www.pcgamer.com/wish-microsoft-had-been-brave-enough-not-to-release-windows-11/

Reactions: AJFan2020
ShippoFox said:
The downside to wait and see, assuming your machine is compatible, is there is probably a time limit to the free upgrade offer.

Reactions: ShippoFox
MaxxH said:
The downside to wait and see, assuming your machine is compatible, is there is probably a time limit to the free upgrade offer.
that's true. I still think people should wait a little longer though. Win11 sounds like it has a few "features" that would be kinda annoying, but I don't know how many of those they'll change.

I really don't even know why I care. I barely use windows anymore. I actually normally use i3 window manager now on Linux. I've been using it for a few weeks. It's nothing like Windows at all. It's very customizable, although it takes some work sometimes. I'm not totally sure quite how I want it to look & I keep making random adjustments to things. I also had to learn a bunch of keyboard shortcuts, but they're very useful, and it only took a few days to memorize the important ones.

Hmm... I think I'm just mad because MS is a big corporation that does whatever they want, despite most people depending on them for daily computer use (except for those that have somehow "moved on" solely to tablets and smartphones. I like my phone and I like tablets, but they don't really replace computers) They make these arbitrary rules, and they make millions or billions of dollars.... and a lot of people will struggle to afford a new computer. I know, they're a business, they have to make money, but... they shouldn't be semi-extorting people into upgrading by making their current machines arbitrarily no longer secure (in a few years, anyway). Making profits should be ethical.... not shady.... not questionable. I'm sorry, I don't really mean to turn this into a political discussion. that might go a bit off topic. And hopefully Valve is going to be giving MS some competition anyway. Maybe that's what's really needed... 😹

ShippoFox said:
that's true. I still think people should wait a little longer though. Win11 sounds like it has a few "features" that would be kinda annoying, but I don't know how many of those they'll change.

I really don't even know why I care. I barely use windows anymore. I actually normally use i3 window manager now on Linux. I've been using it for a few weeks. It's nothing like Windows at all. It's very customizable, although it takes some work sometimes. I'm not totally sure quite how I want it to look & I keep making random adjustments to things. I also had to learn a bunch of keyboard shortcuts, but they're very useful, and it only took a few days to memorize the important ones.

Hmm... I think I'm just mad because MS is a big corporation that does whatever they want, despite most people depending on them for daily computer use (except for those that have somehow "moved on" solely to tablets and smartphones. I like my phone and I like tablets, but they don't really replace computers) They make these arbitrary rules, and they make millions or billions of dollars.... and a lot of people will struggle to afford a new computer. I know, they're a business, they have to make money, but... they shouldn't be semi-extorting people into upgrading by making their current machines arbitrarily no longer secure (in a few years, anyway). Making profits should be ethical.... not shady.... not questionable. I'm sorry, I don't really mean to turn this into a political discussion. that might go a bit off topic. And hopefully Valve is going to be giving MS some competition anyway. Maybe that's what's really needed... 😹
Nice I use dem as my window manager, I pull out awesome or i3 if I neeed EWMH support. Which dwm doesn’t really have

thelinuxgamer said:
Nice I use dem as my window manager, I pull out awesome or i3 if I neeed EWMH support. Which dwm doesn’t really have
I have not tried dwm, but maybe i will give it a chance sometime. I like trying out different WMs/DEs. Awesome is really nice too.

I wanted to try out Aquasnap for tiling on windows 10, but they wanted $19 for a version without key features removed. so I didn't bother at all. I barely use Windows anymore anyway, so I definitely wasn't going to buy.

I tried Windows 11 in a virtual machine.... and.... I really think it's kinda crappy. The taskbar is a gigantic monster, with no provided way to change it. Why....? I guess the best thing to do is to set it to auto-hide? I managed to make it smaller with a program (which automatically edits the registry.... which would be the only other way to do it), but then the stuff in the system tray didn't align right & the date sorta went off-screen. There's no way to move the start menu.... why does Microsoft hate customization so badly? I guess they just don't care about home users... only businesses. I guess there is some annoying way to move the start menu back with tweaks and stuff, but it's not obvious, and Microsoft doesn't intend for it to be a thing. There were also some smaller features that seemed to... just randomly... be gone....? 😾

For some reason, the vTPM made my hard drive go wild (I didn't wanna use space on an SSD for it). I don't know what that's about, but it didn't do that before I added the vTPM to the VM. though I couldn't install the OS without using that. I don't know if this was an issue with vTPM, Windows 11, Linux, or VMware. Hopefully it's not an issue for non-virtual users.

Here are the only few things I did like... it did seem kind of faster to respond....? And they added keyboard shortcuts for a sort of semi-tiling-ish ability (though Linux has had that for a long time. why is big megacorp so slow to make Windows do what Linux, which is free, has been able to do for ages?)

I'll admit that I only used Win11 for a little bit (and in a VM too), so maybe there are some fixes/answers to some of my issues with it, but I was not impressed. Also, this mini review is from a fox that didn't have too many problems with Vista nor Win8. So... I think that kinda says something about Win11. And, of course, there are millions of computers that MS won't even allow to run Win11.... but I would definitely rather run a Linux distro or Windows 10 anyway.

I didn't wanna make a new topic, sorry for the double post

Last edited:
Reactions: dogboy
ShippoFox said:
I tried Windows 11 in a virtual machine.... and.... I really think it's kinda crappy. The taskbar is a gigantic monster, with no provided way to change it. Why....? I guess the best thing to do is to set it to auto-hide? I managed to make it smaller with a program (which automatically edits the registry.... which would be the only other way to do it), but then the stuff in the system tray didn't align right & the date sorta went off-screen. There's no way to move the start menu.... why does Microsoft hate customization so badly? I guess they just don't care about home users... only businesses. I guess there is some annoying way to move the start menu back with tweaks and stuff, but it's not obvious, and Microsoft doesn't intend for it to be a thing. There were also some smaller features that seemed to... just randomly... be gone....? 😾

For some reason, the vTPM made my hard drive go wild (I didn't wanna use space on an SSD for it). I don't know what that's about, but it didn't do that before I added the vTPM to the VM. though I couldn't install the OS without using that. I don't know if this was an issue with vTPM, Windows 11, Linux, or VMware. Hopefully it's not an issue for non-virtual users.

Here are the only few things I did like... it did seem kind of faster to respond....? And they added keyboard shortcuts for a sort of semi-tiling-ish ability (though Linux has had that for a long time. why is big megacorp so slow to make Windows do what Linux, which is free, has been able to do for ages?)

I'll admit that I only used Win11 for a little bit (and in a VM too), so maybe there are some fixes/answers to some of my issues with it, but I was not impressed. Also, this mini review is from a fox that didn't have too many problems with Vista nor Win8. So... I think that kinda says something about Win11. And, of course, there are millions of computers that MS won't even allow to run Win11.... but I would definitely rather run a Linux distro or Windows 10 anyway.

I didn't wanna make a new topic, sorry for the double post
I see cause i tried linux on my computer not virtural and I ran into a problem after that did took the joy out of linux for me like I had to keep wasting time reinstalling it.

Last edited:
  • Sad
GabeG28 said:
I see cause i tried linux on my computer not virtural and I ran into a problem after that did took the joy out of linux for me like I had to keep wasting time reinstalling it.
Yeah, unfortunately, I had an old laptop like that. I had lots of trouble with Linux on there, and I was only trying it out at the time. I guess it happens sometimes. Maybe more than I want to realize 😿

It could be that another Linux distro may have run better on your computer. But I know it's a lot of effort to keep trying different distros. there was one distro that worked fine on my desktop, but didn't work properly on my laptop. Meanwhile, several other distros do work fine on my laptop.

Hopefully Linux will be improving even more in the next few years. Maybe because of things like the Steam Deck.

I figured out how to put the start menu back on the left on win11. Some of the settings menus are better, I guess? I'm still not a huge fan. Windows 10 is better. Maybe the customization of Linux has spoiled me.

ShippoFox said:
Yeah, unfortunately, I had an old laptop like that. I had lots of trouble with Linux on there, and I was only trying it out at the time. I guess it happens sometimes. Maybe more than I want to realize 😿

It could be that another Linux distro may have run better on your computer. But I know it's a lot of effort to keep trying different distros. there was one distro that worked fine on my desktop, but didn't work properly on my laptop. Meanwhile, several other distros do work fine on my laptop.

Hopefully Linux will be improving even more in the next few years. Maybe because of things like the Steam Deck.

I figured out how to put the start menu back on the left on win11. Some of the settings menus are better, I guess? I'm still not a huge fan. Windows 10 is better. Maybe the customization of Linux has spoiled me.
yeah I like the customization of linux but when it comes to just using it sometimes it does not behave where windows all my stuff works for the most part but when windows is misbehaving that is a turn off.

I've definitely run into things not working right on Windows. VMware has a weird glitch where the mouse keeps flashing, which doesn't happen on Linux. A lot of games have a weird blur on Windows that I don't see on Linux (maybe some setting somewhere on Windows that I couldn't find? I am not sure. or maybe it is a "feature"). I swear I have also noticed games run better on Linux. I've run into times where programs would just randomly not work right for unknown reasons. The Windows night light feature didn't work right, so I used another program in place of it. Also, anything that requires editing the Windows registry is frustrating... far more frustrating than using a Linux terminal.

I actually did reinstall Linux when I switched to it, after about two weeks. So I did have a tiny bit of trouble, I guess. But I later realized another option that would have made it unnecessary. There was a workaround for the problem I had, that I thought would be too hard to try, but actually wasn't hard at all. Plus, I was learning more and more about Linux by the day. 😅

Last edited:
ShippoFox said:
I've definitely run into things not working right on Windows. VMware has a weird glitch where the mouse keeps flashing, which doesn't happen on Linux. A lot of games have a weird blur on Windows that I don't see on Linux (maybe some setting somewhere on Windows that I couldn't find? I am not sure. or maybe it is a "feature"). I swear I have also noticed games run better on Linux. I've run into times where programs would just randomly not work right for unknown reasons. The Windows night light feature didn't work right, so I used another program in place of it. Also, anything that requires editing the Windows registry is frustrating... far more frustrating than using a Linux terminal.

I actually did reinstall Linux when I switched to it, after about two weeks. So I did have a tiny bit of trouble, I guess. But I later realized another option that would have made it unnecessary. There was a workaround for the problem I had, that I thought would be too hard to try, but actually wasn't hard at all. Plus, I was learning more and more about Linux by the day. 😅
yeah I was thinking of reinstalling linux but not sure yet.

GabeG28 said:
yeah I was thinking of reinstalling linux but not sure yet.
what did you try before? ubuntu?

ShippoFox said:
what did you try before? ubuntu?
I have tried unbuntu before but I hate that the taskbar is on the side so i like linux mint

GabeG28 said:
I have tried unbuntu before but I hate that the taskbar is on the side so i like linux mint
The taskbar can be wherever you want it to be on Ubuntu or Mint. Ubuntu uses Gnome desktop environment, which makes it a little more effort to move, but it's possible. It's a lot easier on Mint, which uses Cinnamon for the main edition. There are also different flavors. Mint has Cinnamon, MATE, and XFCE. (not sure if there might be other community editions of Mint or not) Ubuntu has Gnome (Ubuntu), KDE (Kubuntu), XFCE (Xubuntu), LXQt (Lubuntu), and a bunch of others. You can also disable the taskbar and download a different one or use a dock, or a combo of whatever you want. But I agree that Mint Cinnamon definitely has good defaults. I sorta regret deleting my Mint VM, but I didn't need it. 😅

yeah, like i said maybe ill try again

uhmm.... I ordered a semi-decent new laptop on sale. Win11. I guess I'll probably dual boot. Apparently, it's as simple as enabling/disabling secureboot as needed, I guess. And some distros actually support secureboot.

Back