is windows 11 real or just rumored

ShippoFox said:
Aren't they separate requirements? If you buy a TPM module, you're still out of luck if your CPU isn't supported. Right? Or am I still not understanding the ridiculous requirements? Though buying a CPU will always fix it, that also probably requires a new motherboard.... which means... virtually rebuilding the machine. 🙀
Yes. Here's the list of Supported Intel processors. If you back up a page, there is a similar list of AMD. My Windows computer has an I5-7400, so I'm SOL. Not really, I'll just keep using 10 until they end support or my machine dies. I should have a couple years at least.

FWIW, I'm typing this now on an older machine running Ubuntu 16 (it won't run 18). I wouldn't have a problem going full time Ubuntu if it came to that. I'm not a gamer, so that kind of compatibility doesn't mean squat to me.

• Thinking
Reactions: ShippoFox and Chosen
MaxxH said:
Yes. Here's the list of Supported Intel processors. If you back up a page, there is a similar list of AMD. My Windows computer has an I5-7400, so I'm SOL. Not really, I'll just keep using 10 until they end support or my machine dies. I should have a couple years at least.

FWIW, I'm typing this now on an older machine running Ubuntu 16 (it won't run 18). I wouldn't have a problem going full time Ubuntu if it came to that. I'm not a gamer, so that kind of compatibility doesn't mean squat to me.
I can't figure out why non-gamers even use windows at all. And I've had very good luck running games on Linux. But I guess Windows just works and it's the default, so it's too much trouble for the average computer user to switch to Linux.

Ubuntu 16 was Unity. Ubuntu 18 is GNOME 3. I can't guarantee it, but Gnome might be the cause of your troubles. You could try Xubuntu (uses xfce desktop environment) or Ubuntu Mate (uses mate de). xfce and mate run very well on older computers. And there are also plenty of other distros you could try, if the problem happens to be with Ubuntu itself. But... I think Ubuntu 16 is still supported with security updates until 2026.

• Sad
Reactions: MaxxH and Chosen
ShippoFox said:
I can't figure out why non-gamers even use windows at all. And I've had very good luck running games on Linux. But I guess Windows just works and it's the default, so it's too much trouble for the average computer user to switch to Linux.
Let's be honest and call it inertia. It came with the computer, as it does with most. It does what I need it to do, more or less. If there were a function I really needed or wanted that required a change, I'd put the time and effort into it. (Or if Microsoft reached my level of tolerance for annoying BS - That happened with DOS back in the day. I switched to DrDos)

Once upon a time, computing was more of a hobby/adventure for me, going back to the C64 days. With the turn of the century, computers had become appliances and the hobby aspect lost its luster. I do still have the C64 and peripherals on a back shelf if I ever get the itch and time to scratch it.

I do have a legit reason for sticking to Windows 10 for now. My sister had never touched a PC prior to my dad's passing 4 years ago. Suddenly, she had to manage the household, including online banking, bills, and Mom with dementia. I had to talk her through everything by phone until I could get down to Florida. That's a lot easier to do if I can duplicate her screen on mine. Shortly after, I bought us both identical smartphones so we could do some of this stuff via video chat. IMO, she's done an amazing job absorbing the new technology. If I went to 11, I would have to drag her along. I haven't looked into whether her machine is supported or not.

ShippoFox said:
Ubuntu 16 was Unity. Ubuntu 18 is GNOME 3. I can't guarantee it, but Gnome might be the cause of your troubles. You could try Xubuntu (uses xfce desktop environment) or Ubuntu Mate (uses mate de). xfce and mate run very well on older computers. And there are also plenty of other distros you could try, if the problem happens to be with Ubuntu itself. But... I think Ubuntu 16 is still supported with security updates until 2026.
Appreciate the suggestions. If 16 becomes a problem, you've given me a couple possible paths to investigate. For now, it does what I need. The only two things I use it for are 1. coming here and 2. continuing to digitize my record and tape collection via Audacity. I don't have anything important stored on it, so if it died or was corrupted somehow, I'd just reformat or toss it.

Bear in mind this is an older machine (used to be my main computer). 32 bit AMD 7550. I bought the newer one and converted this one to Ubuntu when support for Vista ended. I'll likely follow a similar path when support for 10 ends.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShippoFox
Bought a few new pcs, all incompatible. Otherwise not liking the changes in windows 11. I won't upgrade for a long time.

• Wow
You should have 2-4 yrs before win 10 support ends I think

MaxxH said:
Let's be honest and call it inertia. It came with the computer, as it does with most. It does what I need it to do, more or less. If there were a function I really needed or wanted that required a change, I'd put the time and effort into it. (Or if Microsoft reached my level of tolerance for annoying BS - That happened with DOS back in the day. I switched to DrDos)

Once upon a time, computing was more of a hobby/adventure for me, going back to the C64 days. With the turn of the century, computers had become appliances and the hobby aspect lost its luster. I do still have the C64 and peripherals on a back shelf if I ever get the itch and time to scratch it.

I do have a legit reason for sticking to Windows 10 for now. My sister had never touched a PC prior to my dad's passing 4 years ago. Suddenly, she had to manage the household, including online banking, bills, and Mom with dementia. I had to talk her through everything by phone until I could get down to Florida. That's a lot easier to do if I can duplicate her screen on mine. Shortly after, I bought us both identical smartphones so we could do some of this stuff via video chat. IMO, she's done an amazing job absorbing the new technology. If I went to 11, I would have to drag her along. I haven't looked into whether her machine is supported or not.

Appreciate the suggestions. If 16 becomes a problem, you've given me a couple possible paths to investigate. For now, it does what I need. The only two things I use it for are 1. coming here and 2. continuing to digitize my record and tape collection via Audacity. I don't have anything important stored on it, so if it died or was corrupted somehow, I'd just reformat or toss it.

Bear in mind this is an older machine (used to be my main computer). 32 bit AMD 7550. I bought the newer one and converted this one to Ubuntu when support for Vista ended. I'll likely follow a similar path when support for 10 ends.

I guess inertia is kinda true. I'd used Linux in the past, though not regularly. I didn't even consider making it my main operating system until micro$oft (sorry, I couldn't resist) decided to be a bunch of jerks about Win11.

I had a bunch of Apple II PCs at different times, though they were already outdated by the time I got them. They were fun, but I don't have them anymore.

AMD.... 7550... that truly is an older computer. Linux is a miracle 😹

MickeyM said:
Bought a few new pcs, all incompatible. Otherwise not liking the changes in windows 11. I won't upgrade for a long time.
New.... like actually new? Sealed and everything? MS is ridiculous for not supporting something new. Malware creators are going to have a field day in 2026 if MS refuses to extend support for Win10 or increase support for Win11... 🙀

ShippoFox said:
I guess inertia is kinda true. I'd used Linux in the past, though not regularly. I didn't even consider making it my main operating system until micro$oft (sorry, I couldn't resist) decided to be a bunch of jerks about Win11.

I had a bunch of Apple II PCs at different times, though they were already outdated by the time I got them. They were fun, but I don't have them anymore.

AMD.... 7550... that truly is an older computer. Linux is a miracle 😹

New.... like actually new? Sealed and everything? MS is ridiculous for not supporting something new. Malware creators are going to have a field day in 2026 if MS refuses to extend support for Win10 or increase support for Win11... 🙀
I build my own pcs. The parts are "new" but they are just not supported as they are tech from a few years ago (only). How was I supposed to know.

WIndows 11 has downsides but I love it non the less.. windows 10 UI got a bit old.

Pawner said:
WIndows 11 has downsides but I love it non the less.. windows 10 UI got a bit old.
yeah I feel like windows 11 UI is better especially I have wireless headphones and when I go into the bluetooth settings it looks cleaner. Do you use any of the store apps or download any from the store?

MickeyM said:
To me, it honestly doesn't make any sense to make a new OS if people won't upgrade to it if they don't have TPM or Secure Boot enabled (at least if they did it either by choice, or if it was default by their computer's BIOS).

GabeG28 said:
yeah I feel like windows 11 UI is better especially I have wireless headphones and when I go into the bluetooth settings it looks cleaner. Do you use any of the store apps or download any from the store?
Well now that Microsoft is letting open source developers put there apps on there, yes.

Pawner said:
Well now that Microsoft is letting open source developers put there apps on there, yes.
nice I never used to use apps I would always uninstall them but I found about the app snip and sketch so I thought that was cool. What apps do you use?

I just installed Windows 11. All the stuff I had on W10 seem to work just fine, had only GZDOOM crash during startup once, tried again, worked 3 times in a row without fail. Waiting for the previous OS to clear up so I can get my bigger games back, takes about a week.
Instead kept some of the smaller games that are less than 1 GB, and the monkey island series. All of my Steam save files carried over. I'm able to still find everything & access settings.
If I get the money someday, I'll buy a VR headset & a 1 TB flash drive. I have a lot of FPS stuff in mind that I wanna play in VR.

Last edited:
Reactions: MaxxH and ThePaddedTurtle
Onesieman said:
I just installed Windows 11. All the stuff I had on W10 seem to work just fine, had only GZDOOM crash during startup once, tried again, worked 3 times in a row without fail. Waiting for the previous OS to clear up so I can get my bigger games back, takes about a week.
Instead kept some of the smaller games that are less than 1 GB, and the monkey island series. All of my Steam save files carried over. I'm able to still find everything & access settings.
If I get the money someday, I'll buy a VR headset & a 1 TB flash drive. I have a lot of FPS stuff in mind that I wanna play in VR.
nice!

I have a Windows 11 update that might be helpful. Instead of waiting for your PC to automatically clear up the previous OS files. You can just delete the files yourself in settings, to get that extra space back sooner. You might not be able to go back to W10 after you delete those files, or re-installing will take a lot longer.

Onesieman said:
I have a Windows 11 update that might be helpful. Instead of waiting for your PC to automatically clear up the previous OS files. You can just delete the files yourself in settings, to get that extra space back sooner. You might not be able to go back to W10 after you delete those files, or re-installing will take a lot longer.
cool

I'm still mad about Microsoft's questionable tactics, but I don't really think I'd even want to use Win11 that much anymore. Not even if I had a new computer. I'd probably try it out, and still dual boot, but I'd be on Linux 99% of the time.

Forced rollout is coming soon. I had to stop my laptop from ""upgrading"" this morning.
Win 11.JPG

its real I actually got a message on my computer saying "your pc might not be ready for windows 11" which is bs cos is a brand spankin new 1,600$ build

GabeG28 said:
hey guys I have seen windows 11 being talked about on reddit after the whole windows taskbar news and interests mess and I am wondering is this going to be real?
My hand built computer tells me I have to make some bios edits to be ready for windows 11. Not sure if I should do it and don’t know how to. I can take a screenshot if needed to show you what I am talking about

Back