Is Rearz a bad company?

JustAFloof

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Diaperfur
  4. Little
I'm asking this from total ignorance, but I've heard from some ABDLs that Rearz is a bad company that treat ABDL people pretty badly.

I like some of the diaper designs that Rearz has to offer and have heard that they are very comfortable, but I would not like to support an evil company when there are other good options. So I would like to know if Rearz is actually a bad company or if that is just some rumours and Rearz is actually nice.

I could be completely wrong. But I think the 2 reasons that people say Rearz is bad is number 1. They tried to trademark/copyright some abdl/diaper term so that other companies couldn't use it. And 2. They put out an ad suggesting that people wear diapers to avoid getting sick when the pandemic hit. Some people saw it as trying to take advantage of a tragedy for profit, but I thought that it was just trying to normalize it for the customers that would be targeted for rearz advertising, people who already wear diapers but might be a little ashamed of it.

Reactions: Beowulf, TigerDL, LinaBaby505 and 1 other person
I’ve had very positive dealings with Rearz. I wouldn’t hesitate to order from them.

I wouldn't say they're a bad company, it's mostly just that the owner has made quite a few head-scratchingly dumb and/or tone deaf decisions from a pr standpoint:

- attempted to trademark abdl

- made a damn near duplicate of ABUs product, ignored the cease and desist letter, and then got upset when they were sued over it (trademark infringements must be persued legally or you lose future cases, ABU had no choice)

- decided that the pink rebel diapers would be a great thing to promote as some kind of breast cancer awareness thing. A diaper with skulls all over it.

• Wow
Reactions: mommysgirlthing
They own the trademark "Omutsu" which is the Japanese word for "diaper" .
As far as business practices, Rearz was criticized a lot for falsely advertising their Alpaca diapers before their release, and they have been known for selling packs of diapers that should have failed quality control ( Lil Monsters had a lot of problems, for example ) .
Rearz Lil Monsters Size Large Bad Batch 1 .JPG

Reactions: Flamoroo
I have had really good interactions with them but have heard many negative things over the years, mostly around delivery issues and quality control. But honestly almost every single ABDL person seems to buy them so those a few issues among thousands of customers. I am from the city where they started and use to go into their store and always had a very positive experience.
For me LIttle for Big seem way more disgusting, a lot of anti-trans tweets and such. Don't know the whole story but everything they did seems 10x worse than anything Rearz has done. Yet they still seem popular as they ship through Amazon, so maybe people don't care or the story I was shown is wrong.

Reactions: TigerDL, mommysgirlthing and sprouted
It depends on what you mean by "bad company." To start off, it's important to understand the origin of Rearz. The owner, Laurie, started the company by sewing cloth diapers in children's sizes after she believed she could make better than the ones her children used. Eventually, this turned into selling these cloth diapers on line and eventually she began making them in adult sizes by request. Over time this morphed into her being ABDL-aware and catering to that market, and over time the company grew bigger and began to resell other ABDL products and some "adult" products. There was even a time when Rearz resold ABU products, which is funny to think about. Eventually, Rearz focused more on selling their newly developed disposable diapers and from late 2015 onward they became a very large and diverse brand. This video is a good watch for more information https://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1854913&jwsource=cl

So, does Rearz make high quality products? Absolutely. Rearz diapers, albeit not the best, are quite high quality and have a variety of prints. They're quite moderately priced, coming in 12 packs (3 per case) and being around $38 a pack even on Amazon and coming from a different country. The company staff seem to be quite nice as well.

The reason many consider Rearz a bad company are due to the numerous and almost constant controversies they've been involved in. The biggest by far would be the ABDL trademark controversy.

A few years ago, Rearz attempted to trademark numerous term related to the community, including "ABDL" and several others. This sparked massive anger towards Rearz, as people saw this as an attempt to get rid of or seriously impede any other ABDL companies claiming to be ABDL; many saw it as "a greedy outside company trying to attack and profit off the ABDL community at our expense." It got so bad they temporarily abandoned most of their social media since every post would have comments related to trademarking. Rearz maintains they had no malicious intent by trademarking the term and eventually gave up trying.

Around the same time, Rearz began a lengthy court battle with APD, Adult Printed Diapers, more commonly known as AwwSoCute. This whole situation is incredibly complex and incredibly entertaining. The original allegation was that Rearz had bought stock of AwwSoCute products directly from the Chinese supplier they were buying from, and although there is a lot more to the story than that, more drama just looked bad on Rearz.

Then, in early 2019, Rearz released a pink variant of their "Rearz Rebels" print, in an apparent partnership with the American Breast Cancer society. For reference, this print is a skull with bones like (like a pirate flag) on a white background. This went over horribly. For one, people thought using skulls and bones to raise awareness to cancer was horribly bad taste. Second off, it seemed like they were trying to profit off of breast cancer awareness. To this day, Rearz is still trying to offload this limited edition stock that they made in the form of onesies, diapers, training pants, etc.

Another controversy in late 2018 involved their newly released Lil Monsters diaper. Rearz had really hyped these diapers up, and upon buying them people found out they had defective tapes, defective leak guards, incorrect cuts, and other quality issues. The response by Rearz was seen as very inadequate; they didn't really say anything about the defects, they continued selling the defective products, and in their V2 edition they relegated the Lil Monsters print to a 3500ml daytime print (when the original was intended to be on par with Rebels or Seductions) without saying much either. It was seen as a bad response and shady handling of defective products, especially given the high customer care standard companies like ABU, Tykables, or Northshore have established in the community.

Earlier this year, Rearz posted a tweet with a chart about how to avoid the spread of coronavirus. This is around the time it had just been reported as reaching the USA with reports it had already been here and had been spreading. In incredibly bad taste, they put something along the lines of "wear diapers to avoid public bathrooms and avoid the spread of covid19." This, as you can imagine, went over poorly.

EDIT: Almost forgot the Alpaca controversy. Rearz released their most recent print, Alpacas, in a 10 pack instead of their usual 12 pack. They claimed this was because "They are so thick, we can only fit 10 in a bag!." In reality, they were just using a smaller bag. Furthermore, despite being advertised and themed under the premise of "thick, poofy, and soft like Alpaca fur" the only thing differing them from other Rearz nighttime diapers is less than 10 grams of SAP. This all was seen as more shady business tactics and some level of false advertisement.

So, whether or not you consider Rearz a bad company is up to you. They usually make high quality products including diapers and onesies, but their community participation is lacking and all of these issues hurt their reputation.

(If I got anything wrong here, please correct me below. Much of this is hearsay or what I can remember from years ago)

Last edited:
Reactions: BitterGrey, KittyMerriweather, Fiammaverde and 11 others
My experiences with Rearz have been overwhelmingly positive. While I agree with irnub that the owner has made some bad calls, their products are good, fairly priced and their customer interaction has always been top-notch. To my thinking, there are many more companies out there that deserve the 'evil' moniker ahead of Rearz.

I hadn't heard of the ABU plagiarism before, but it seems the worst they've done are just marketing blunders, and what company hasn't been guilty of that at least once or twice? Not that I'm excusing it, but Rearz is far from the only company who've made unintentionally insensitive advertisements, but that's almost always from a position of obliviousness instead of maliciousness.

As surprise35 beat me to it, I'd be much more upset if they were known bigots or if they donated money to anti-LGBTQIA+ causes or something. Trying to trademark "AB/DL" is pretty dumb (though admittedly understandable if you're a marketing executive in a niche market), but it's frankly not enough to keep me from continuing to buy from the company, as their products and service have been consistently excellent for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: TigerDL
Barn said:
It depends on what you mean by "bad company." To start off, it's important to understand the origin of Rearz. The owner, Laurie, started the company by sewing cloth diapers in children's sizes after she believed she could make better than the ones her children used. Eventually, this turned into selling these cloth diapers on line and eventually she began making them in adult sizes by request. Over time this morphed into her being ABDL-aware and catering to that market, and over time the company grew bigger and began to resell other ABDL products and some "adult" products. There was even a time when Rearz resold ABU products, which is funny to think about. Eventually, Rearz focused more on selling their newly developed disposable diapers and from late 2015 onward they became a very large and diverse brand. This video is a good watch for more information https://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1854913&jwsource=cl

So, does Rearz make high quality products? Absolutely. Rearz diapers, albeit not the best, are quite high quality and have a variety of prints. They're quite moderately priced, coming in 12 packs (3 per case) and being around $38 a pack even on Amazon and coming from a different country. The company staff seem to be quite nice as well.

The reason many consider Rearz a bad company are due to the numerous and almost constant controversies they've been involved in. The biggest by far would be the ABDL trademark controversy.

A few years ago, Rearz attempted to trademark numerous term related to the community, including "ABDL" and several others. This sparked massive anger towards Rearz, as people saw this as an attempt to get rid of or seriously impede any other ABDL companies claiming to be ABDL; many saw it as "a greedy outside company trying to attack and profit off the ABDL community at our expense." It got so bad they temporarily abandoned most of their social media since every post would have comments related to trademarking. Rearz maintains they had no malicious intent by trademarking the term and eventually gave up trying.

Around the same time, Rearz began a lengthy court battle with APD, Adult Printed Diapers, more commonly known as AwwSoCute. This whole situation is incredibly complex and incredibly entertaining. The original allegation was that Rearz had bought stock of AwwSoCute products directly from the Chinese supplier they were buying from, and although there is a lot more to the story than that, more drama just looked bad on Rearz.

Then, in early 2019, Rearz released a pink variant of their "Rearz Rebels" print, in an apparent partnership with the American Breast Cancer society. For reference, this print is a skull with bones like (like a pirate flag) on a white background. This went over horribly. For one, people thought using skulls and bones to raise awareness to cancer was horribly bad taste. Second off, it seemed like they were trying to profit off of breast cancer awareness. To this day, Rearz is still trying to offload this limited edition stock that they made in the form of onesies, diapers, training pants, etc.

Another controversy in late 2018 involved their newly released Lil Monsters diaper. Rearz had really hyped these diapers up, and upon buying them people found out they had defective tapes, defective leak guards, incorrect cuts, and other quality issues. The response by Rearz was seen as very inadequate; they didn't really say anything about the defects, they continued selling the defective products, and in their V2 edition they relegated the Lil Monsters print to a 3500ml daytime print (when the original was intended to be on par with Rebels or Seductions) without saying much either. It was seen as a bad response and shady handling of defective products, especially given the high customer care standard companies like ABU, Tykables, or Northshore have established in the community.

Earlier this year, Rearz posted a tweet with a chart about how to avoid the spread of coronavirus. This is around the time it had just been reported as reaching the USA with reports it had already been here and had been spreading. In incredibly bad taste, they put something along the lines of "wear diapers to avoid public bathrooms and avoid the spread of covid19." This, as you can imagine, went over poorly.

EDIT: Almost forgot the Alpaca controversy. Rearz released their most recent print, Alpacas, in a 10 pack instead of their usual 12 pack. They claimed this was because "They are so thick, we can only fit 10 in a bag!." In reality, they were just using a smaller bag. Furthermore, despite being advertised and themed under the premise of "thick, poofy, and soft like Alpaca fur" the only thing differing them from other Rearz nighttime diapers is less than 10 grams of SAP. This all was seen as more shady business tactics and some level of false advertisement.

So, whether or not you consider Rearz a bad company is up to you. They usually make high quality products including diapers and onesies, but their community participation is lacking and all of these issues hurt their reputation.

(If I got anything wrong here, please correct me below. Much of this is hearsay or what I can remember from years ago)
That is the best explanation of the history of Rearz I have ever seen. You seriously should be writing more about the ABDL scene, you have a great documentary tone to your writing that is extremely refreshing. I think a lot of people just rant about their personal experience, which is of course useful too but like the comments below any video very biased.

As someone who has been into this since before the internet it really blows my mind that there are ABDL battles between any companies and such passionate responses to it all. I am super diaper nerd so this is the kind of news I can pour over for hours.

Reactions: Subtlerustle
PurplePup89 said:
I hadn't heard of the ABU plagiarism

If you're referring to me saying Rearz resold ABU stuff then my bad, I didn't mean to imply theft or plagiarism. Rearz just used to be a supplier/reseller of ABU goods around 2013-2014 before they made their own disposables, I just bought it up to represent them becoming ABDL aware and growing as a company
rearzabu.png

surprise35 said:
That is the best explanation of the history of Rearz I have ever seen. You seriously should be writing more about the ABDL scene, you have a great documentary tone to your writing that is extremely refreshing. I think a lot of people just rant about their personal experience, which is of course useful too but like the comments below any video very biased.

As someone who has been into this since before the internet it really blows my mind that there are ABDL battles between any companies and such passionate responses to it all. I am super diaper nerd so this is the kind of news I can pour over for hours.

Thanks! I try lol. Its pretty cool to learn about the history of these companies and the origin of modern ABDL diapers.

I have never ordered from them - but I have followed them for awhile and find them a good force to have in the community/industry. That said it would appear most of the missteps were out of ignorance/naivete. This was a business built by a mom who was sewing diapers for her kids - not a Disney villain. I choose to believe the mistakes were made without trying to be malicious or subversive.

But I will say there is a company near me here in Quebec called daynitecare and they seem to have only good reviews; good staff and deal with delivery issues really well. The other x-factor I see with any of these companies is their support of the incontinence community; daynitecare works to help those who have insurance for their diapers where as I don't think Rearz does anymore. While this doesn't directly relate to me I am passionate about people with incontinence being able to get and afford good quality diapers.

Reactions: Subtlerustle
surprise35 said:

It's admittedly fascinating; I mean, AB/DL is such a bizarre niche to build a company around, it seems like either all companies would be in good relationship with one another or they would all be in fierce competition to monopolize an extremely specific market. I would genuinely be interested in reading about the actual business behind AB/DL, because I don't think it's something most people think about, let alone document.

There is also the matter of Rearz (allegedly) ripping off one of their diaper artists. More explanation from Cup_Bun here. It doesn't look like a legal issue, but rather more of a moral/ethical one. Cup_Bun didn't really cover himself, and Rearz exploited that.

Considering their ridiculous ABDL trademark attempt, use of literal garbage for packing material, and the other various nits mentioned above, I feel somewhat justified in labeling Rearz a "bad company." At the very least, they've failed to be "good."

I've ordered omutsu diapers, disposable Elite diapers and pacifiers through Rearz and their US affiliate, CooshieTooshiez. So far, I'm extremely happy, especially with their Elites, the most incredible disposable diaper I've worn to-date. I was not at all pleased with their stab at trying to trademark ABDL but that's over now. Someone wised up, all we could've hoped for. I hope to order their Splash baby bottle soon.

I think just like any company that made the cross between small business and expansion they had some growing pains along the way, perhaps it was because they upped there out put without increasing employee's, who knows, but they've been pretty good for the last year or so, they have good diapers, offer decent clothing and other things. I know I've ordered from them before and havent had any issues.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Some people have shared their bad experiences with Rearz. That being said, I've never really had a problem myself, and I try to remember that you're much more likely to hear complaints than complements. So if you hear 1 bad thing and 1 good thing, that may represent 2 bad experiences and 50 good experiences.

• Haha
Reactions: KitsuneFox
the diapers can be decent , but dont expect good service, if u complain too much, or try to have them even improove, i not only got told to buy elsewhere by them after buyinh 4 cases that same month, plus others locally from a distributer, and i was also blacklisted and blocked from Not only fetlife from them , their website my account was blacklisted, if theres issues with products they dont give that much good service imo, they were trash to deal with ,

Back