I realized yesterday that I've never had a good empanada

googlyeyes467

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
All of the empanadas I've tried have either had too much dough to filling ratio, a bland filling, or just tasted stale. I've lived in a couple states, including California, and I've never had an empanada I liked.

Am I missing something? Are empanadas just bad or is there somewhere that makes a really good one? I'm in NC if that helps.

I've never had empanadas good or bad
From what I see they are kind of like meat filled perogies?

googlyeyes467 said:
All of the empanadas I've tried have either had too much dough to filling ratio, a bland filling, or just tasted stale. I've lived in a couple states, including California, and I've never had an empanada I liked.

Am I missing something? Are empanadas just bad or is there somewhere that makes a really good one? I'm in NC if that helps.
Have you had Ilocano (from the Philippine province of Ilocos) empanada?

Reactions: googlyeyes467
I love empanadas! When I started at my current job, the longtime office manager was an Argentine man who considered them his specialty, and he used to make them for us. So good! Trying to make them myself is on my to-do list. Perhaps then I'll have had a bad one, ha ha. So far, all the ones I've had have been great!

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and googlyeyes467
BlueFazeButDL said:
Have you had Ilocano (from the Philippine province of Ilocos) empanada?
No I haven't but I'll be on the lookout for one. What are they stuffed with?

googlyeyes467 said:
No I haven't but I'll be on the lookout for one. What are they stuffed with?
Bright orange rice flour dough with a filling of green papaya, longganisa sausages, and hard-boiled egg. Served with vinegar.

Reactions: googlyeyes467
That sounds really good. I'll try to find a place in my area that makes them. Papaya with sausage sounds awesome.

Back