I need some pocket diaper 101

RaawrrrPincess

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
I've decided to purchase some cloth pocket diapers, I don't plan on using them full time, maybe just at home. Disposables will be more convenient in public! To be honest I really don't know what I'm doing so any advice would be helpful. Diapers covers are on the way, I still need the inserts. Is there some better than others or any I should stay away from? How many should I get? Are the liners a good idea? They seem like they would be.

Reactions: Cottontail, BBBen and Dashsanta
Hey! There is obviously no right or wrong way at doing any of this. Do what is comfy for you :)

I haven’t done cloth personally but a good pull up would deff be good if you are thinking on wearing discreetly in public. Maybe try goodnites or tenas?

Reactions: RaawrrrPincess
Dashsanta said:
Hey! There is obviously no right or wrong way at doing any of this. Do what is comfy for you :)

I haven’t done cloth personally but a good pull up would deff be good if you are thinking on wearing discreetly in public. Maybe try goodnites or tenas?
I'm not worried about being padded in public. I wear 24-7. I used to wear pull ups but I prefer my diaper

I'm just looking for what's working for others in the cloth diaper department!

Reactions: Dashsanta
RaawrrrPincess said:
I'm not worried about being padded in public. I wear 24-7. I used to wear pull ups but I prefer my diaper

I'm just looking for what's working for others in the cloth diaper department!
Ohhh ok! No worries at all hehe

Reactions: RaawrrrPincess
I use the hourglass microfibre inserts, usually 2 at a time.
You also get bamboo and Terry inserts.

You can also use normal household towels folded up to fit in the pocket.

Wash any inserts or towels before using them using only detergent, any fabric softener will significantly reduce there absorbency

Reactions: Cottontail and RaawrrrPincess
HappyNappin said:
I use the hourglass microfibre inserts, usually 2 at a time.
You also get bamboo and Terry inserts.

You can also use normal household towels folded up to fit in the pocket.

Wash any inserts or towels before using them using only detergent, any fabric softener will significantly reduce there absorbency
No bleach?

RaawrrrPincess said:
No bleach?
Bleach is for cleaning toilets and floors, ive never used it for laundry.
You probably could use it for sanitsizing inserts, but ive never felt the need to.
Don't ever use bleach with pocket diapers or covers made of PUL or similar fabrics it will significantly reduce there life span, same thing for elastics.

Reactions: Cottontail, DBabygirl2 and RaawrrrPincess
HappyNappin said:
You probably could use it for sanitsizing inserts, but ive never felt the need to.
Don't ever use bleach with pocket diapers or covers made of PUL or similar fabrics it will significantly reduce there life span, same thing for elastics.
Lol we bleach our whites here to keep them white. It does reduce the life span on those too. But I don't think your supposed to use bleach with microfiber though....I think I read that somewhere.

Reactions: Deleted member 74558
I have a dozen Snap-EZ pocket diapers and use toddler-sized prefold from Green Mountain Diaper Company as the inserts. They'll hold one decent wetting, but not much more. However, they are thin and discreet enough for wear when I'm out and about.

When I'm at home, I have 8 or 9 Rearz diaper covers. The inserts are Rearz adult XS prefold diapers. These work very well and are exceptionally easy to change.

Most microfiber liners require extensive 'prepping,' which is why I've been using actual diapers for liners. I find they're just as absorbent as microfiber, and much easier to launder. My dozen-odd Snap-EZ liners haven't been used in the past couple of years.

Reactions: Cottontail, Deleted member 74558 and RaawrrrPincess
Beware...this is a looooong post!

I use the cloth pocket diapers at night due to a medication I take that makes me very unstable if I have to get up. I have come up with a very workable routine for wearing and washing. I use the pocket covers with hook and loop, bamboo/charcoal adult inserts, and regular toddler prefolds. This totals 5 pocket diapers, 10 inserts, and 10 prefolds, or 5 complete setups. I also use a pair of PUL pants for an outer cover. The pockets are supposed to be waterproof, but I've found that outer PUL to be a better choice. For the diaper setup, I layer the inserts like this: insert, prefold with the edges folded in to the edge of the middle, another insert on top of that, and then an unfolded prefold over that. Turn that assembly over and stuff it into the pocket so the first insert is on top and the final prefold is on the bottom against the outside of the cover. Spread the prefold out a bit so it goes to the edges. It won't be perfect, but it works. This set up will usually get me through the night without leaks...occasionally it does happen though. For washing I use Rockin' Green Hard Rock detergent. I have a front load washer, so if you have a top load my method may not work. I use a dry pail for the used stuff. First, I put everything into the washer, along with a couple of soaked bath towels...the towels add weight to the load and cause the washer to add more water. I use a rinse cycle with extra rinse and no spin with no detergent. Once that is done, a scoop of detergent, heavy duty cycle, extra rinse, extra spin, high speed spin, warm water temperature. Straight hot water can shorten the life of your diapers. In my front load the entire process from first rinse to finish washing is about 2.5 hours. Then I dry on medium heat, very dry...takes about an hour in the dryer. I try to wash every 4 days.

So that is how I do things. It works better than anything I've done before as far as cloth goes. A good way to tell if what you are doing is working is to smell after you take them off. If it smells like ammonia or smells skunky then something is wrong. Either you are using too much detergent and it's not all rinsing out or you are not using enough. Also, if your washer is not adding enough water then they will not get clean enough....that is what the soaked bath towels in the wash are for. The initial outlay for my cloth setup is a about $150 to $200, but considering I've been doing things this way since about October, and considering the price of good disposables is about $30 for a package of 10, I've already paid for my investment. Yes, I'll have to replace these at some point, but I'm coming out ahead. I still have some Abena and Northshore disposables, but those are just in case I need them.

This may be more information than you need, but like I said, this is what works for me, and it works very well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cottontail
HappyNappin said:
Bleach will also break down the integrity and absorption of abdl cloth diapers.

RaawrrrPincess said:
Is there some better than others or any I should stay away from?
Yes some inserts are better than others, many of the cheaper ones will use a low wright fabric (GSM) to reduce production costs but since most companies won't list GSM weights for the inserts you won't know for sure.

More over there are several fabric materials that inserts are made from (Cotton, Microfibre, Bamboo, Hemp, Zorb etc.) and even if made from higher GSM good quality fabrics, each of them is better or worse at different things.

Microfibre is really good at absorbing quickly, the moment wee touches it it starts to soak up whereas Hemp is the slowest and will pool up for a few seconds before it starts to sink in and absorb, However Hemp has one of the highest capacities and is one of the best at holding onto wee when under pressure (i.e. sitting down) while Microfibre is absolutely terrible at holding on to larger amounts and will easily press out wee with slight pressure, see this table for more.

Cloth Diaper Inserts Compared (+ Absorbency Chart)

Zorb is a specialty fabric and fairly new, though it is being used in a lot of baby products you won't find many adult products using it yet outside of custom makers. It has a very high capacity (they say one layer of Zorb is about the same as 3 layers of cotton) and is very quick (it is basically like a Microfibre blend). To fit it onto the table above I'd say it is Synthetic, 5+ star capacity, 5 star speed, maybe 4 star durability and cost $$. It is very slim compared to equivalent number of layers of other fabrics but is quite firm.

Compression resistance (press out leaks) is not rated on that table so here it goes:
Hemp 5, Bamboo and cotton 4, Bamboo Charcoal 3, Microfibre 1, Zorb 4.

For these reasons it is generally considered good to use multiple fabric types for heavier usage, this is called layering. Using different insert on top of each other to fit a purpose with the bottom layer being on the outside (furthest from the skin) it would usually be something like Hemp or Cotton on the bottom and Microfibre on top. This way you get fast wicking away from the skin from Microfibre and then the Higher capacity but slower fabrics can pull from that to hold on to more.

RaawrrrPincess said:
.How many should I get?
Totally depends on you, how often do you wear? how often do you think you'll be changing? how much do you release in one go? how regularly do you want to wash them (daily, every other day, every 3 days, once a week)? how much do you need/want them to hold? and so on.

Without knowing your wearing and usage habits it's hard to say.

Scenario 1> Lets say you wear every day but only wear them while awake using something else overnight, you only moderately wet before changing rather than totally emptying a full bladder multiple times. So 2 good inserts is enough to last you say 4 maybe 5 hours between changes (roughly 3 changes while awake) and you wash them every 3 days (max time I recommend unless rinsing after each change). You would at least 24 inserts, that's 18 for 3 days + another 6 for the day after laundering them while the rest dry out. you may want a few more in case they don't dry quickly enough.

Scenario 2> You only wear them after work and weekends while at home, same usage level as above but now only needing maybe 1 change in the week 3 on weekends. The same 2 inserts per change is good enough and the same 3 day cycle for laundry. You would only need 16 inserts for the week (12 used + 4 for the day after washing) but it might be smart to have an extra 4-6 to cover the weekends.

Scenario 3> You don't wear them every day only when you feel like it maybe you only wear say 4-5 per week, however you need to really be able to wee a lot in them and take longer between changes, same laundry cycle. In this case you may want 3-4 pads per change but because there may be a couple days between wearing any needing laundry may already have gone in. In this case maybe 12 would be enough.

As you can see it can vary a lot, also while I don't recommend pockets for overnight as they tend to wick onto the outside when wet for a longer period and are not really made for heavy wetting that can occur overnight if you do use them for sleeping you are likely to want extra pads in them to accommodate that (if 2 per change in enough in the day you might need 3-4 at night). 3 nights like this would be an extra 9-12 pads and you would need a fourth nights worth as well for drying time.

If you can answer the above questions about how much you use them we can give a better estimate of how many you might need.

RaawrrrPincess said:
Are the liners a good idea? They seem like they would be.
Liners are only needed if you plan on messing a diaper. The whole purpose of using a liner is that it allows any wee to pass right on through it but it provides a thin layer of material which can easily be removed separately that catches and poo and stops it from getting onto the diaper itself, they generally still let a bit of brown staining through but the actual faecal matter stays on the liner.

This way when you open the diaper to change and after cleaning yourself the diaper and inserts should not have any actual poo on them (maybe a little staining) and can be stored along with any wet ones without wahing to clean anything off of them first. You can take the liner and empty it into a toilet to flush away, holding the liner in to toilet and using the water from the flush to rinse off any poo still stuck to it.

It makes cleaning up after a mess much easier/faster with only the thin liner that will need a quick rinse rather than a whole diaper and means everything can be "pailed" together rather than having a separate pail for messy ones.

Not really worth buying them though as it is so much cheaper to make your own and doesn't require any sewing, Microfleece is the most common type and doesn't fray so you can just buy a meter of it and cut out a whole bunch of liners to the shape you need, make sure it is Microfleece though not Polar or any other type.

You can also get disposable ones but that costs extra and defeats the point of going with reusable diapers.

• Wow
Reactions: RaawrrrPincess, StarryNight and Cottontail
Belarin said:
Yes some inserts are better than others, many of the cheaper ones will use a low wright fabric (GSM) to reduce production costs but since most companies won't list GSM weights for the inserts you won't know for sure.

More over there are several fabric materials that inserts are made from (Cotton, Microfibre, Bamboo, Hemp, Zorb etc.) and even if made from higher GSM good quality fabrics, each of them is better or worse at different things.

Microfibre is really good at absorbing quickly, the moment wee touches it it starts to soak up whereas Hemp is the slowest and will pool up for a few seconds before it starts to sink in and absorb, However Hemp has one of the highest capacities and is one of the best at holding onto wee when under pressure (i.e. sitting down) while Microfibre is absolutely terrible at holding on to larger amounts and will easily press out wee with slight pressure, see this table for more.

Cloth Diaper Inserts Compared (+ Absorbency Chart)

Zorb is a specialty fabric and fairly new, though it is being used in a lot of baby products you won't find many adult products using it yet outside of custom makers. It has a very high capacity (they say one layer of Zorb is about the same as 3 layers of cotton) and is very quick (it is basically like a Microfibre blend). To fit it onto the table above I'd say it is Synthetic, 5+ star capacity, 5 star speed, maybe 4 star durability and cost $$. It is very slim compared to equivalent number of layers of other fabrics but is quite firm.

Compression resistance (press out leaks) is not rated on that table so here it goes:
Hemp 5, Bamboo and cotton 4, Bamboo Charcoal 3, Microfibre 1, Zorb 4.

For these reasons it is generally considered good to use multiple fabric types for heavier usage, this is called layering. Using different insert on top of each other to fit a purpose with the bottom layer being on the outside (furthest from the skin) it would usually be something like Hemp or Cotton on the bottom and Microfibre on top. This way you get fast wicking away from the skin from Microfibre and then the Higher capacity but slower fabrics can pull from that to hold on to more.

Totally depends on you, how often do you wear? how often do you think you'll be changing? how much do you release in one go? how regularly do you want to wash them (daily, every other day, every 3 days, once a week)? how much do you need/want them to hold? and so on.

Without knowing your wearing and usage habits it's hard to say.

Scenario 1> Lets say you wear every day but only wear them while awake using something else overnight, you only moderately wet before changing rather than totally emptying a full bladder multiple times. So 2 good inserts is enough to last you say 4 maybe 5 hours between changes (roughly 3 changes while awake) and you wash them every 3 days (max time I recommend unless rinsing after each change). You would at least 24 inserts, that's 18 for 3 days + another 6 for the day after laundering them while the rest dry out. you may want a few more in case they don't dry quickly enough.

Scenario 2> You only wear them after work and weekends while at home, same usage level as above but now only needing maybe 1 change in the week 3 on weekends. The same 2 inserts per change is good enough and the same 3 day cycle for laundry. You would only need 16 inserts for the week (12 used + 4 for the day after washing) but it might be smart to have an extra 4-6 to cover the weekends.

Scenario 3> You don't wear them every day only when you feel like it maybe you only wear say 4-5 per week, however you need to really be able to wee a lot in them and take longer between changes, same laundry cycle. In this case you may want 3-4 pads per change but because there may be a couple days between wearing any needing laundry may already have gone in. In this case maybe 12 would be enough.

As you can see it can vary a lot, also while I don't recommend pockets for overnight as they tend to wick onto the outside when wet for a longer period and are not really made for heavy wetting that can occur overnight if you do use them for sleeping you are likely to want extra pads in them to accommodate that (if 2 per change in enough in the day you might need 3-4 at night). 3 nights like this would be an extra 9-12 pads and you would need a fourth nights worth as well for drying time.

If you can answer the above questions about how much you use them we can give a better estimate of how many you might need.

Liners are only needed if you plan on messing a diaper. The whole purpose of using a liner is that it allows any wee to pass right on through it but it provides a thin layer of material which can easily be removed separately that catches and poo and stops it from getting onto the diaper itself, they generally still let a bit of brown staining through but the actual faecal matter stays on the liner.

This way when you open the diaper to change and after cleaning yourself the diaper and inserts should not have any actual poo on them (maybe a little staining) and can be stored along with any wet ones without wahing to clean anything off of them first. You can take the liner and empty it into a toilet to flush away, holding the liner in to toilet and using the water from the flush to rinse off any poo still stuck to it.

It makes cleaning up after a mess much easier/faster with only the thin liner that will need a quick rinse rather than a whole diaper and means everything can be "pailed" together rather than having a separate pail for messy ones.

Not really worth buying them though as it is so much cheaper to make your own and doesn't require any sewing, Microfleece is the most common type and doesn't fray so you can just buy a meter of it and cut out a whole bunch of liners to the shape you need, make sure it is Microfleece though not Polar or any other type.

You can also get disposable ones but that costs extra and defeats the point of going with reusable diapers.
Wow that's a lot of info! Thank you!!! I wear 24-7 and use them for everything, but you've given me a lot to think about. Has anyone ever made their own inserts, like a hybrid?

Back