How was your bedwetting handled

How was your childhood bedwetting handled

• Total voters
Babybear2006 said:
How was everyone's childhood bedwetting handled? I started with diapers and pullups but was given a bedwetting alarm to try to get me to stop wetting my bed and I also had a plastic sheet on my bed. When I was 9, I put in goodnites because I was unplugging my alarm. I was later switched back to regular diapers at 13.
I don’t think bed wetting alarms will work for me because I can’t even predict when I have to urinate even during the day my bladder just overfills and leaks without me noticing I don’t even feel it

Reactions: Diprs2
nwm said:
I was actually never out of diapers at all (confirmed nerve issue) so a diaper, plastic sheet, and bed pad.
Only difference now is no plastic sheet (tried, wife can't stand it) - but something is going to have to give...
Bed pad moving on me a lot - found out because of back pain - no one wants to do anything except a nerve-block there, but NO WAY am I going that (had ONE, NOT happy with loosing even more mobility in my hand - so NO WAY is ANYONE EVER doing another one ANYWHERE EVER!
Do know Cannabis helps, no issue with bad pad IF I have that - BUT - IF we are lucky, I MIGHT be able to afford a 2-week supply of that per month (and that is kind of pushing it) - so - IDK...
Not even a mattress protector? I have a mattress protector on my bed and washable pads and I wear pull-ups as well.

I wet the bed until I was 6 and was changed into terry nappies and waterproof pants by our nanny after tea and then bath time. So from about 6pm I was back in nappies. My siblings were dry before me so if we were playing or watching tv after bath time I was the only one still in nappies. I was then dry for a few years but started wetting my bed at prep school aged 11. It was a small all boys school, only about 85 or so of us and there were a few boys who also wet the bed. We had to report to the school matron before bed and were put into terry nappy pants and waterproof pants. Of course we also had waterproof sheets on our beds too. It was embarrassing but I don’t remember ever being teased but I was a 1XV rugby player and a prefect in my two years. I continued to wet the bed regularly until I was 14 so senior/public school dorms was really embarrassing - wet pyjamas, wet beds and waterproof sheets. Back at home during the holidays it was horrible. I was the eldest of four siblings, the youngest was 4 and even then our nanny would put me in nappies. I don’t think my parents actually knew that I still wet the bed. It was a very old fashioned upbringing! I do remember a friend of one my siblings wetting the bed when he came to stay and my mother being really cross but also realising I wasn’t the only one. When my mother found out/was told that I too still wet the bed I was made to feel so small and moved bedrooms so I was close to our nanny like a baby would be. I was then dry throughout my later teens and early twenties bar having too many beers until I had a spinal injury playing rugby and started wetting the bed again every night. Subsequent spinal issues have now left me incontinent and back wearing nappies 24/7.

Reactions: Brumas94
Survey needs a "Had to sleep in wet bed until morning without protection" option because that was my experience.

• Sad
Reactions: JOCKMAN, Teddy02 and bedwetterdavid
southeastlittle said:
Survey needs a "Had to sleep in wet bed until morning without protection" option because that was my experience.
Me too.

• Sad
Reactions: JOCKMAN and Teddy02
me three

• Sad
Reactions: JOCKMAN
and me

• Sad
southeastlittle said:
Same here after i turned 8-9 years old

• Angry
southeastlittle said:
That was me after I turned 8. Mom didn’t want to spend money on my diapers after my little brother was born. But 4 years later, she decided to put me back In diapers at night, and I had to deal with being an almost 12 year old who wore very crinkly ‘90s style adult diapers to bed.

i got goodnites for a little while

bedwetterdavid said:
That was me after I turned 8. Mom didn’t want to spend money on my diapers after my little brother was born. But 4 years later, she decided to put me back In diapers at night, and I had to deal with being an almost 12 year old who wore very crinkly ‘90s style adult diapers to bed.
It wasn't the money but advice from our district nurse that made my mother take my nappies away. In any case they were Terry nappies and plastic pants. From being about or 9 years old I just slept in underpants and there was an old towel under my sheet to soak up the pee. My dad got some thick Polythene sheet to protect the matteras but this went hard and brittle and the matteras ended up damp and smelly. My mother used to throw it on the lawn on sunny days to air out, for all to see. Not that it was any secret that I wet the bed.

Reactions: Dry247 and Diprs2
So, I'll say that my parents didnt try to beat the IC out of me or anything, but at every possibility usually whilst i was with would ask about my bedwetting to every nurse, doctor, pharmacist, friend, checkout girl or whomever was close at hand.
Tried every potion, vitamin, restricting fluids, waking up, alarm, etc that was available anywhere in this universe.

Basically, at every moment she would bring it up for any reason at all, not sure if it was supposed to be to embaress me or something or what. Also was told many many times how much money it costs, and also the inconvience in packing/getting diapers. So as soon as i could I started making money doing whateve i could and rode my bike and got my own diapers then in my car, but wanted to just take care of it myself asap.

Now when it came to my brother he would at anytime he could get away with it bring it up to his friends and/or infront of whomever to be an asshole as he was much older than me and took me a long time to be able to take him in a fight, him being 5 years older. But basically made my life in regards to bedwetting hell.

But, the parents didnt punish me per se, and i think they did what they thought was right, but it was still hard hearing that I was costing them money and in the times when diapers were not packed to the cabin or ran out i wasnt yelled at, but there were sure the complaints from my dad about the fact that needed to do something for me, let along it would impact his fishing or drinking time. He was the center of his own universe and really he did try to change in his older years, but were never really close ever till the day he died, but he tried to be better later in life i will give him that

But, at least i didnt get physically beat for it, albeit was mentally beat for it by most people in my life.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Luvshugs
We always had the plastic sheets. I wet the bed probably more than half the days each week until I was probably 13. Then it’s been off and on a few times a year, but I tend to wake up easier before it gets outside my pajamas. Very likely the cause of the DL side of me. Never had the courage to ask for better protection despite wanting to wake up in a dry bed.

Reactions: Dry247 and Diprs2
I don't think this really applies to me but as of 2023 February 24 at the age of 27 i started wetting the bed. i never had night time accidents after the age of 2, but would occasionally have a day time accident cuz play was more important to me, or cuz i just didn't want to use public restrooms as a kid, they scared me. stupid loud toilets. i remember being the only kid in my apartment complex that didn't wet the bed. Now it may be weird and i hope no one will resent me but i wished as a kid i would have wet the bed. might have been peer pressure lol. I was literally the only kid in the block that didn't wear a diaper to bed. I even remember kids my age back in 2002, age 6 still wearing Disney style pullups.

Reactions: Dry247, Danielgartin691993 and Diprs2
Grew up a nightly bedwetter, usually more than once a night. Pin on cloth diapers with plastic pants were the only option and was diapered, by my mom or babysitters, after my evening bath. By age 8 or 9 I had become a dl and looked forward to laying spread eagle on my or my moms bed getting diapered like a toddler. My older brother, especially, would make fun of me with my big diaper bulge!

Reactions: sinceiwassmall and Diprs2
Plastic sheets and Thick cloth diapers and plastic pants. Sometimes those Staydry panties from some mail-order place. And later incontinent pants from Sears (actually made by Kleinerts) after about age 12.

Attachments

• staydry.jpg
    staydry.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: JOCKMAN and SDB2014
Cloth diapers, plastic pants and plastic mattress cover.

As a lifelong bedwetter, my parents tried many different things to help me.
We tried medications, alarms, bed pads, plastic sheets, etc. but none of them worked long term. For example the alarm somewhat worked at first but then I was sleeping so poorly I was groggy when awake so we stopped that shortly after.
Around the time I was 11 I started to just wear diapers or pull ups with a bed pad and plastic sheet and everyone (pediatrician included) figured I would just grow out of the bedwetting. Well I didn’t and here I am today still soiling in my sleep….

Reactions: Diprs2, SDB2014 and diaperdude
I w
Lilah said:
As a lifelong bedwetter, my parents tried many different things to help me.
We tried medications, alarms, bed pads, plastic sheets, etc. but none of them worked long term. For example the alarm somewhat worked at first but then I was sleeping so poorly I was groggy when awake so we stopped that shortly after.
Around the time I was 11 I started to just wear diapers or pull ups with a bed pad and plastic sheet and everyone (pediatrician included) figured I would just grow out of the bedwetting. Well I didn’t and here I am today still soiling in my sleep….
I will never use bed wetting alarms, I hate waking up early, I would rather wear a diaper

Reactions: Diprs2 and diaperdude
Tenaman said:
I continued to wet the bed regularly until I was 14 so senior/public school dorms was really embarrassing - wet pyjamas, wet beds and waterproof sheets.
I think bedwetting was quite a common occurrence at boarding school. At mine, in the 1970s, we had to change our beds once a week on Wednesdays - top sheet to bottom, bottom sheet to the laundry, fresh sheet to the top. No duvets in those days. The mattresses were thin and stuffed with horsehair with a linen cover. You had to strip the bed in the morning and remake it at night when you came back to the boarding house, so the mattress was on show for all to see. There were huge dried pee stains on every mattress in the dorm from the age of 11 to 14 (after that we shared smaller rooms with one or two others in bunk beds although the bed-changing protocols remained the same).
At my school there were no procedures for dealing with wet beds. No bed had a plastic sheet. It simply was never mentioned by anyone, ever. If beds were checked by the resident matron it was without our knowledge. I know this because my bed would have been found to be wet on a number of occasions but was never changed by anyone other than me and I was never spoken to about it. The only way of dealing with a wet bed was to dry the pee through the warmth of your body.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: JOCKMAN, Sidewinder, bedwetterdavid and 2 others
Back