How tight is a bodysuit/onesie supposed to be?

puravidadip

🎀 diaper sissy 🎀
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Little
  5. Incontinent
  6. Carer
I have multiples and I cannot tell which is best. I have a medium and a medium tall. I am a 44R chest and a 38 waist. The medium tall fits great, feels great, and the neckline is normal. The regular medium is tight and my neckline sags, but I don't care about that. I typically wear under a white button down shirt. The tighter one I feel keeps my diaper butt in check a bit more. Any ideas? Is tight too tight? Just need to order some more.

It’s very individual, I like mine to provide decent but firm support. When your diaper gets heavy you want your onesie to provide adequate support so you avoid any sagging and the dreaded diaperbutt.
however it shouldn’t be so tight that the buttons snap open.
to determine the correct sizing, the only important measurement is from your neck down to your crotch (you must wear your everyday diaper) for this measurement. It’s the length of the onesie which is important.
im 6’3” tall, and I use Abena size medium.
however it is a hit and miss in terms of sizing as different companies have different stretch and sizes. A size medium in one brand which fits you, does not necessarily mean you can get a size medium from another brand.

Reactions: inconsurferdude, FudgedInLuvs and puravidadip
If they are all cotton then you can stretch them a little . After washing, hang them to dry with a weight on the bottom to stretch them as they dry. I use a pants hanger attached to a small weight.

Reactions: puravidadip
I’ve always heard that onesies should fit relatively snugly after you’re in your diaper. They’re pretty much designed to keep your diaper from sagging or your “shirt” from riding up. I have one onesie and it’s pretty snug. It works very well. My rompers are a little looser fitting for playtime.

Most of mine are pretty form fitting and I like that. They hug my diaper and it feels great. I have one that's a bit too long and it sags in the crotch. Fun to wear but probably only with thicker cloth padding.

I think it depends what you want a bodysuit for - if it's just to stop your nappy showing if your shirt rides up it doesn't matter if it's loose (and it may be a bit more comfortable, depending on your preference). If you want it to hold the nappy up, then it needs to be tighter.

I wear a bodysuit mainly to hold up cloth nappies - I need to stretch mine a bit when putting them on, and they're definitely snug, but I don't find that that level of snugness causes problems with containment or absorbency.

Reactions: puravidadip and NotTheAverageMan
My problem with onesies is my body length is too short for my measurements on the size chart, so my onesie is always either too long or tight on the chest part. I'd rather have too long then be uncomfortable. Wearing a onesie just makes me feel baby and having my diaper change just by unsnapping it just gives me all the feels 😍

Reactions: Luminaire
never figured that one out they always make my diaper leak ecspecially at night Ive tried too big and too smalla nd just right and the sizes end up wicking into my diaper tightness aside If anyone knows how to prevent that I'd love to know

I like them both a little loose and a little tight. I have a few different ones and will wear the tighter more supportive ones during the day, the looser ones around the house and to bed. I don't like where the snaps are on most of the though. I swear they're in the wrong spot on all of them, they're right in between the legs. The snaps can start to hurt the inside of my legs sometimes. I've never found one with snaps more on the front of the crotch, and I would love to.

Yes, the positioning of the snaps can be a bit of a problem at times.
My tightest onesies (five snaps), can only be done standing up and pulling down hard to make the connections, (the thicker the nappy the higher degree of difficulty), but the reward is a very snug fit and good nappy support for going outside.
In the home, my larger onesies (good for sleeping in), are quick and easy to put on, but do not give any meaningful crotch support.

Last edited:
I find the location of the snaps in the LFB onesies to be too far back. The Tykables and BigTot ones put them more towards the front and they're easier to access.

Llayden said:
I like them both a little loose and a little tight. I have a few different ones and will wear the tighter more supportive ones during the day, the looser ones around the house and to bed. I don't like where the snaps are on most of the though. I swear they're in the wrong spot on all of them, they're right in between the legs. The snaps can start to hurt the inside of my legs sometimes. I've never found one with snaps more on the front of the crotch, and I would love to.
Tykables. And the fabric is nice. Still having some rubbing though.

For years I have worn onesies 24 hours a day. They serve both as my daytime T-shirts or undershirts as well as my nighttime pjs. I wear them to support sagging diapers. Onesies also protect diaper tapes from snagging on clothing and popping open.

I have found that the onesies offered by Kins (BabyKins in Canada) to be of a higher quality than those I have purchased from other vendors. The fabric of the Kins onesies is heavier and lasts longer. The snaps at the crotch do not pull out as they do from many onesies from other vendors.

Finding the right onesie may require some experimentation as the sizing between different manufacturers is not well standardized. I find a variance of as much as 1 1/2" in the torso measurement between different manufacturers. That can determine whether a onesie fits well or not.

--John
(double incontinent)

Back