How much was diapers when you started wearing and how much have they improved?

ltaluv said:
I started wearing Attends in 1985. I don't remember how much they cost; I recall they came in boxes, rather than bags, and if memory serves there were only six diapers in the box (although that sounds absurdly low, so maybe I'm not remembering correctly). These were the older four-tape ones that didn't have a waist band, so if you put them on lying down they were too tight when you stood up (I had a few that split down the front while I was wearing them!), or if you put them on standing up they were too loose for lying down. They had a fairly stiff, scratchy inner liner that looked like a plastic sheet with a pattern of holes in it; later they went to the softer type that's pretty much ubiquitous now. I also remember that they had a very strong perfume smell to them, and I was always paranoid that people would smell that and realize I was wearing a diaper, though in hindsight the only people who would have recognized the scent would be other people who had to wear them.

I loved and hated those Attends so much. I think there were more than 6, maybe 10, but I don't remember well enough either. I had always wanted to wear a diaper for bed wetting and when I was finally told to I was mortified. Once I put one on it felt so good that even that plastic sheet didn't bother me. They leaked a bit but were so much better than totally wetting your sheets. I wore those for years. I do remember that smell. To me that was the smell of diapers. Loved and hated it.

ltaluv said:
I started wearing Attends in 1985. I don't remember how much they cost; I recall they came in boxes, rather than bags, and if memory serves there were only six diapers in the box (although that sounds absurdly low, so maybe I'm not remembering correctly). These were the older four-tape ones that didn't have a waist band, so if you put them on lying down they were too tight when you stood up (I had a few that split down the front while I was wearing them!), or if you put them on standing up they were too loose for lying down. They had a fairly stiff, scratchy inner liner that looked like a plastic sheet with a pattern of holes in it; later they went to the softer type that's pretty much ubiquitous now. I also remember that they had a very strong perfume smell to them, and I was always paranoid that people would smell that and realize I was wearing a diaper, though in hindsight the only people who would have recognized the scent would be other people who had to wear them.
I also started in the Attends with micro pore lining. A relative worked for a hospital supply wholesaler and would ship me a case on a regular basis. The case was a large cardboard box, probably 3' x 3' x 3', lined with a plastic bag and lots of neatly stacked diapers. It truly was an institutional pack. The smell was overwhelming when you untied the bag to take some diapers out. Those Attends could barely handle one heavy wetting, and needed to be changed immediately. The amount of leaks generated so much laundry that my wife put me in cloth diapers within a few months.

Reactions: WillFord384
Diaperman95 said:
Sounds a lot like me. I loved the smell of those classic attends and they was kind of loud too. I started out with the belted undergarments from depends as well. I also used a lot of the Depends overnights and remembered them coming out . they was a lot better than the standard depends diaper. had better wider tapes too. I think we have seen more change to the industry than most people here, I know there are a lot of older life timers on here with lifetime IC too but many would never understand how great it is now. I never new anyone thing no one wanted IC when we had to use those products that's for sure.
I too used the depend overnights whenever I ran out of Attends. They were a little easier to find in the store. Certainly the most crinkly (the reason they were a 2nd choice). I actually still have about a dozen of the depend overnights in my stash.

Reactions: Diaperman95
Back