How much was diapers when you started wearing and how much have they improved?

Diaperman95

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Of course I never real bought any myself until I graduated high school. But in 94 I think a 16 count of depends was between 8 and 9 bucks. Attends was around the same.

Now when I started wearing them they was mostly six tapes. Not all but most. They was a thin plastic back diaper that did not hold much and leaked a lot because back in the day they did not have the leak gaurds like now. Nothing but a small amount of elastic around the crotch to keep things in. This was horrible they all leaked around the legs all the time. Many did not have a waste band either. Attends had with and without wasteband diapers and others did too. None of them had wetness indeacters. Now we have diapers with leak gaurds over 2 inches tall and now most of them have a wasteband. I seen the dual tapes come in like on the Abena so you can refasten with a fresh tape. Molicare had them too. I seen the plastic landing zone and the velcro landing zone come in and then unfortunately the cloth backed as well come in. And from being super thin to massive padding that will swell up to 3 in thick or more when wet. They was much smaller in size they would not come as high up the front and back like the do now. They had a lower cut waistband is what I mean. I also could be wrong but I believe the 90s is when the term overnight came out as well on the heavier duty diapers.
Any one is wellcome to reply, but I really would also like to hear from some 50 and older members. That and or anyone who started off in a cotton prefold with a rubber or plastic pants?

MailCat581

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
Over time in my experience; diapers have became more expensive for less quantity. When I was a teen and started wearing diapers full time again at 15 years old; we could get me 80 or so diapers for less than $30. Now it's close to $120 for the same number of diapers.

ltaluv

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I started wearing Attends in 1985. I don't remember how much they cost; I recall they came in boxes, rather than bags, and if memory serves there were only six diapers in the box (although that sounds absurdly low, so maybe I'm not remembering correctly). These were the older four-tape ones that didn't have a waist band, so if you put them on lying down they were too tight when you stood up (I had a few that split down the front while I was wearing them!), or if you put them on standing up they were too loose for lying down. They had a fairly stiff, scratchy inner liner that looked like a plastic sheet with a pattern of holes in it; later they went to the softer type that's pretty much ubiquitous now. I also remember that they had a very strong perfume smell to them, and I was always paranoid that people would smell that and realize I was wearing a diaper, though in hindsight the only people who would have recognized the scent would be other people who had to wear them.

It was sometime in the early 90s when they came out with the six-tape ones with a waistband. They were a lot softer, and I could get a better fit with the extra tapes on them. These were the old-school tapes that gave you no second chance and would usually tear the diaper if you tried to peel it off, so I always had a roll of clear packing tape in my bag just in case. I remember being impressed with the improvements, though this was before standing leak guards and landing zones so I had no idea what I was missing!

None of these holds a candle to any of the modern high quality diapers that we can get now. I don't know how I survived all those years wearing Attends, though with my problems mostly revolving around urgency I at least had the luxury of not having to wear them at home unless I was having an IBD flare.

mickdl

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I remember these Attends with the scratchy inner plastic sheet... What a mess... This "innovation" kicked them out of the German marked for a decade and Hartmann with it's Molicare had taken it over for a long time... The consequences where the splits of the Attends Company - the North American part was bought by PaperPack and the European ones merged with Certina. This is also one of the reason why the portfolio is still slightly different and why the European Attends still partly have the better core design that they had taken over from Certina...

But anyway it's exactly like Italluv mentioned: "None of these holds a candle to any of the modern high quality diapers". I mean - the first ones even wasn't equipped super absorber...

If it comes to the prices - I would't say that they are that much more expensive, if you compare it with other products. Yes they are 3 to 4 times more expensive but this have to be seen also in relation to the increased of prices from other products over the last 30 years.

Diaperman95

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I remember these Attends with the scratchy inner plastic sheet... What a mess... This "innovation" kicked them out of the German marked for a decade and Hartmann with it's Molicare had taken it over for a long time... The consequences where the splits of the Attends Company - the North American part was bought by PaperPack and the European ones merged with Certina. This is also one of the reason why the portfolio is still slightly different and why the European Attends still partly have the better core design that they had taken over from Certina...

But anyway it's exactly like Italluv mentioned: "None of these holds a candle to any of the modern high quality diapers". I mean - the first ones even wasn't equipped super absorber...

If it comes to the prices - I would't say that they are that much more expensive, if you compare it with other products. Yes they are 3 to 4 times more expensive but this have to be seen also in relation to the increased of prices from other products over the last 30 years.
When I started buying depends in the mid 90s proctor and gamble owned them. They are the same people who owns luvs baby diapers and that was what they smelled exactly like to me. I liked the smell but I was self conscious back then and worried about the smell and sound as well as bulge. Now I am half def and my nose is clogged half the time too so some baggy Jean's and t shirt and I dont care what anyone thinks now days. . According to the web they sold in 99 and split they sold to a company in Spain and then along to Hartman in german. Not sure if they was another company before Proctor and Gamble

Subtlerustle

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I still have a bag of the six tape Attends mediums. They had 22 diapers/bag. The price tag is 19.99. That’s Canadian dollars btw.

chaochai

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
  2. Incontinent
as an incontinent person i am so thankful the abdl community made such a market for them! diapers are definitely strides better now than they ever have been

Diaperman95

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
as an incontinent person i am so thankful the abdl community made such a market for them! diapers are definitely strides better now than they ever have been
You are dead right about that. These companies like Northshore and Xpmedical are smart as hell to cash in on it too. It's a win win for everyone. at least from my site anyway as I am a I.C. user and had been since the 90s also and extremely thankful for the direction they have taken diapers.

boomer2480

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Of course I never real bought any myself until I graduated high school. But in 94 I think a 16 count of depends was between 8 and 9 bucks. Attends was around the same.

Now when I started wearing them they was mostly six tapes. Not all but most. They was a thin plastic back diaper that did not hold much and leaked a lot because back in the day they did not have the leak gaurds like now. Nothing but a small amount of elastic around the crotch to keep things in. This was horrible they all leaked around the legs all the time. Many did not have a waste band either. Attends had with and without wasteband diapers and others did too. None of them had wetness indeacters. Now we have diapers with leak gaurds over 2 inches tall and now most of them have a wasteband. I seen the dual tapes come in like on the Abena so you can refasten with a fresh tape. Molicare had them too. I seen the plastic landing zone and the velcro landing zone come in and then unfortunately the cloth backed as well come in. And from being super thin to massive padding that will swell up to 3 in thick or more when wet. They was much smaller in size they would not come as high up the front and back like the do now. They had a lower cut waistband is what I mean. I also could be wrong but I believe the 90s is when the term overnight came out as well on the heavier duty diapers.
Any one is wellcome to reply, but I really would also like to hear from some 50 and older members. That and or anyone who started off in a cotton prefold with a rubber or plastic pants?

boomer2480

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I lost bladder control in Viet Nam from a schrapnel wound in the lower stomach or upper groin which ever you want to call it. It nearly severed my quada eguine nerve bundle. I lost all control of my bladder after that and it was in 1968. I'm here to tell you there wasn't much out there in the way of ic products I . I started out with cloth diapers and plastic pants after my wife convinced me to try them. I had used caths and a collection bag strapped to my leg unitil then and hated it.. I was always getting uti's no mater how careful I was about handling them. The diapers worked fine for keeping my bed dry and my wife was happy about that. Wearing them outside the house was horrible. Unless . I wore big baggy clown pants there was no way to conceal them. A few years later they came out with a disposable diaper that was in a fan fold. They were easy to hide under regular pants but they would only hold one wetting before they started to leak and you had to wear plastic pants over them. That made for frequent changes. Now days I wear cloth diapers and plastic pants at home and bienco super stretch disposables when out.Things are a lot better now then it was back then.

Diaperman95

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I lost bladder control in Viet Nam from a schrapnel wound in the lower stomach or upper groin which ever you want to call it. It nearly severed my quada eguine nerve bundle. I lost all control of my bladder after that and it was in 1968. I'm here to tell you there wasn't much out there in the way of ic products I . I started out with cloth diapers and plastic pants after my wife convinced me to try them. I had used caths and a collection bag strapped to my leg unitil then and hated it.. I was always getting uti's no mater how careful I was about handling them. The diapers worked fine for keeping my bed dry and my wife was happy about that. Wearing them outside the house was horrible. Unless . I wore big baggy clown pants there was no way to conceal them. A few years later they came out with a disposable diaper that was in a fan fold. They were easy to hide under regular pants but they would only hold one wetting before they started to leak and you had to wear plastic pants over them. That made for frequent changes. Now days I wear cloth diapers and plastic pants at home and bienco super stretch disposables when out.Things are a lot better now then it was back then.
Thank you for your comment. And thank you more for your service you definitely have had to deal with it a long time as well. I just wanted to tell you thanks for what you did for us. I don't take it lightly you are a hero in my eyes.

boomer2480

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Thank you for your comment. And thank you more for your service you definitely have had to deal with it a long time as well. I just wanted to tell you thanks for what you did for us. I don't take it lightly you are a hero in my eyes.
thank you. Its very nice of you to say that