How much was diapers when you started wearing and how much have they improved?

Diaperman95

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Of course I never real bought any myself until I graduated high school. But in 94 I think a 16 count of depends was between 8 and 9 bucks. Attends was around the same.

Now when I started wearing them they was mostly six tapes. Not all but most. They was a thin plastic back diaper that did not hold much and leaked a lot because back in the day they did not have the leak gaurds like now. Nothing but a small amount of elastic around the crotch to keep things in. This was horrible they all leaked around the legs all the time. Many did not have a waste band either. Attends had with and without wasteband diapers and others did too. None of them had wetness indeacters. Now we have diapers with leak gaurds over 2 inches tall and now most of them have a wasteband. I seen the dual tapes come in like on the Abena so you can refasten with a fresh tape. Molicare had them too. I seen the plastic landing zone and the velcro landing zone come in and then unfortunately the cloth backed as well come in. And from being super thin to massive padding that will swell up to 3 in thick or more when wet. They was much smaller in size they would not come as high up the front and back like the do now. They had a lower cut waistband is what I mean. I also could be wrong but I believe the 90s is when the term overnight came out as well on the heavier duty diapers.
Any one is wellcome to reply, but I really would also like to hear from some 50 and older members. That and or anyone who started off in a cotton prefold with a rubber or plastic pants?

Reactions: zaronab
I started wearing Attends in 1985. I don't remember how much they cost; I recall they came in boxes, rather than bags, and if memory serves there were only six diapers in the box (although that sounds absurdly low, so maybe I'm not remembering correctly). These were the older four-tape ones that didn't have a waist band, so if you put them on lying down they were too tight when you stood up (I had a few that split down the front while I was wearing them!), or if you put them on standing up they were too loose for lying down. They had a fairly stiff, scratchy inner liner that looked like a plastic sheet with a pattern of holes in it; later they went to the softer type that's pretty much ubiquitous now. I also remember that they had a very strong perfume smell to them, and I was always paranoid that people would smell that and realize I was wearing a diaper, though in hindsight the only people who would have recognized the scent would be other people who had to wear them.

It was sometime in the early 90s when they came out with the six-tape ones with a waistband. They were a lot softer, and I could get a better fit with the extra tapes on them. These were the old-school tapes that gave you no second chance and would usually tear the diaper if you tried to peel it off, so I always had a roll of clear packing tape in my bag just in case. I remember being impressed with the improvements, though this was before standing leak guards and landing zones so I had no idea what I was missing!

None of these holds a candle to any of the modern high quality diapers that we can get now. I don't know how I survived all those years wearing Attends, though with my problems mostly revolving around urgency I at least had the luxury of not having to wear them at home unless I was having an IBD flare.

Reactions: zaronab and Diaperman95
I remember these Attends with the scratchy inner plastic sheet... What a mess... This "innovation" kicked them out of the German marked for a decade and Hartmann with it's Molicare had taken it over for a long time... The consequences where the splits of the Attends Company - the North American part was bought by PaperPack and the European ones merged with Certina. This is also one of the reason why the portfolio is still slightly different and why the European Attends still partly have the better core design that they had taken over from Certina...

But anyway it's exactly like Italluv mentioned: "None of these holds a candle to any of the modern high quality diapers". I mean - the first ones even wasn't equipped super absorber...

If it comes to the prices - I would't say that they are that much more expensive, if you compare it with other products. Yes they are 3 to 4 times more expensive but this have to be seen also in relation to the increased of prices from other products over the last 30 years.

Reactions: bobbilly, 2012Stroke and Diaperman95
mickdl said:
I remember these Attends with the scratchy inner plastic sheet... What a mess... This "innovation" kicked them out of the German marked for a decade and Hartmann with it's Molicare had taken it over for a long time... The consequences where the splits of the Attends Company - the North American part was bought by PaperPack and the European ones merged with Certina. This is also one of the reason why the portfolio is still slightly different and why the European Attends still partly have the better core design that they had taken over from Certina...

But anyway it's exactly like Italluv mentioned: "None of these holds a candle to any of the modern high quality diapers". I mean - the first ones even wasn't equipped super absorber...

If it comes to the prices - I would't say that they are that much more expensive, if you compare it with other products. Yes they are 3 to 4 times more expensive but this have to be seen also in relation to the increased of prices from other products over the last 30 years.
When I started buying depends in the mid 90s proctor and gamble owned them. They are the same people who owns luvs baby diapers and that was what they smelled exactly like to me. I liked the smell but I was self conscious back then and worried about the smell and sound as well as bulge. Now I am half def and my nose is clogged half the time too so some baggy Jean's and t shirt and I dont care what anyone thinks now days. . According to the web they sold in 99 and split they sold to a company in Spain and then along to Hartman in german. Not sure if they was another company before Proctor and Gamble

I still have a bag of the six tape Attends mediums. They had 22 diapers/bag. The price tag is 19.99. That’s Canadian dollars btw.

Reactions: Diaperman95
as an incontinent person i am so thankful the abdl community made such a market for them! diapers are definitely strides better now than they ever have been

chaochai said:
as an incontinent person i am so thankful the abdl community made such a market for them! diapers are definitely strides better now than they ever have been
You are dead right about that. These companies like Northshore and Xpmedical are smart as hell to cash in on it too. It's a win win for everyone. at least from my site anyway as I am a I.C. user and had been since the 90s also and extremely thankful for the direction they have taken diapers.

Reactions: chiaochai
Diaperman95 said:
Of course I never real bought any myself until I graduated high school. But in 94 I think a 16 count of depends was between 8 and 9 bucks. Attends was around the same.

Now when I started wearing them they was mostly six tapes. Not all but most. They was a thin plastic back diaper that did not hold much and leaked a lot because back in the day they did not have the leak gaurds like now. Nothing but a small amount of elastic around the crotch to keep things in. This was horrible they all leaked around the legs all the time. Many did not have a waste band either. Attends had with and without wasteband diapers and others did too. None of them had wetness indeacters. Now we have diapers with leak gaurds over 2 inches tall and now most of them have a wasteband. I seen the dual tapes come in like on the Abena so you can refasten with a fresh tape. Molicare had them too. I seen the plastic landing zone and the velcro landing zone come in and then unfortunately the cloth backed as well come in. And from being super thin to massive padding that will swell up to 3 in thick or more when wet. They was much smaller in size they would not come as high up the front and back like the do now. They had a lower cut waistband is what I mean. I also could be wrong but I believe the 90s is when the term overnight came out as well on the heavier duty diapers.
Any one is wellcome to reply, but I really would also like to hear from some 50 and older members. That and or anyone who started off in a cotton prefold with a rubber or plastic pants?

I lost bladder control in Viet Nam from a schrapnel wound in the lower stomach or upper groin which ever you want to call it. It nearly severed my quada eguine nerve bundle. I lost all control of my bladder after that and it was in 1968. I'm here to tell you there wasn't much out there in the way of ic products I . I started out with cloth diapers and plastic pants after my wife convinced me to try them. I had used caths and a collection bag strapped to my leg unitil then and hated it.. I was always getting uti's no mater how careful I was about handling them. The diapers worked fine for keeping my bed dry and my wife was happy about that. Wearing them outside the house was horrible. Unless . I wore big baggy clown pants there was no way to conceal them. A few years later they came out with a disposable diaper that was in a fan fold. They were easy to hide under regular pants but they would only hold one wetting before they started to leak and you had to wear plastic pants over them. That made for frequent changes. Now days I wear cloth diapers and plastic pants at home and bienco super stretch disposables when out.Things are a lot better now then it was back then.

Reactions: 2012Stroke, Diaperman95 and WillFord384
boomer2480 said:
I lost bladder control in Viet Nam from a schrapnel wound in the lower stomach or upper groin which ever you want to call it. It nearly severed my quada eguine nerve bundle. I lost all control of my bladder after that and it was in 1968. I'm here to tell you there wasn't much out there in the way of ic products I . I started out with cloth diapers and plastic pants after my wife convinced me to try them. I had used caths and a collection bag strapped to my leg unitil then and hated it.. I was always getting uti's no mater how careful I was about handling them. The diapers worked fine for keeping my bed dry and my wife was happy about that. Wearing them outside the house was horrible. Unless . I wore big baggy clown pants there was no way to conceal them. A few years later they came out with a disposable diaper that was in a fan fold. They were easy to hide under regular pants but they would only hold one wetting before they started to leak and you had to wear plastic pants over them. That made for frequent changes. Now days I wear cloth diapers and plastic pants at home and bienco super stretch disposables when out.Things are a lot better now then it was back then.
Thank you for your comment. And thank you more for your service you definitely have had to deal with it a long time as well. I just wanted to tell you thanks for what you did for us. I don't take it lightly you are a hero in my eyes.

Diaperman95 said:
Thank you for your comment. And thank you more for your service you definitely have had to deal with it a long time as well. I just wanted to tell you thanks for what you did for us. I don't take it lightly you are a hero in my eyes.
thank you. Its very nice of you to say that

Dont recall the price of the first case of diapers I wore, but I can tell you they where Pampers overnight toddlers XL, took 2 taped together to make one diaper to fit me.
First adult diaper was a wingfold brand called Ambeze, very useless, would not hold a complete bladder emptying without leaking.
Than came Attends, a slite improvement over the wingfold diaper.
If not for those of us 50+ in years demanding better quality diapers weather incontinent or just enjoying wearing diapers, there would be no quality adult diapers on the market for everyone to enjoy today.

My first was the supermarket Ambsee belted diaper. I remember my genitals floating in warm pee when I flooded them.

mickdl said:

Attends was created and owned by P&G since 1979. The Cincinnati-based giant sold the brand to Paper-Pak 2 decades later; eventually the North American and European divisions were acquired by Domtar in 2011.

I have had severe OAB all of my life and began wearing Depends and Attends diapers/"fitted briefs" in 1987. Adult diapers of that era had lots of cellulose fluff but no SAP, so they would leak after one wetting and needed to be worn with plastic pants, which didn't prevent leaks but could prevent a catastrophic leak. As SAP began to be included in adult diapers and online suppliers proliferated, the quality and selection improved dramatically. I order my premium diapers, boosters and plastic pants online, and couldn't be more pleased about the quality and reliability of the products that I use. If I pay attention to how much I am wetting and change when I should, I seldom wet my pants or the bed.

I dont suggest getting any store brand diapers. They hold next to nothing, the leak constantly, the material rups and tears easily they are very loud and not discreet. I got one from the store that had high leak guards and it just leaked through the not so waterproof plastic front. I suggest getting the cheapest abdl diapers u can. Such as abena m4 or rearz inspired with incontrol booster. They never leak and are way more discreet and amazing quality for only a few bucks more

I was first buying the plastic Depends back in the 90s but there were so many other I couldve gotten. Then by early 2000s everything was going clothlike. So I thought soon there would be o more plastic diapers. So by decades end there started to be all these ABDL diapers avaiilable and lots of plastic ones! So yes theyve improved a lot since the early 2000s.

I started buying Depend "undergarments" they were a pad with straps back in the late 80s and I think they were about $12 for a package of 28. They were awkward and leaky (especially since they weren't very long and didn't cover boy parts in the wrong position). It was somewhat better than nothing.

Started buying Attends briefs with waistband (6 tapes) in the early 90s and they were really the first diaper I could go out in public with and trust I wouldn't have wet spots on my pants. I remember them being a pack of 20 mediums for about $15 (I bought them from HDIS - which had just started in business by the case of 80). The plastic cover was a dead give away in a quiet room and they smelled exactly like pampers (both were made by P&G). I'd love to try some again these days. I am guessing that modern diapers are WAY better... but this diaper 30 years ago protected well, had a soft inner lining and was easy to put on so I remember it fondly.

Adjusted for inflation, prices for diapers now are a lot cheaper. These diapers were not that absorbent and I would use about 6 diapers a day... Incontinence cost me about 8% of my income.

EcoDL said:
I started buying Depend "undergarments" they were a pad with straps back in the late 80s and I think they were about $12 for a package of 28. They were awkward and leaky (especially since they weren't very long and didn't cover boy parts in the wrong position). It was somewhat better than nothing.

Started buying Attends briefs with waistband (6 tapes) in the early 90s and they were really the first diaper I could go out in public with and trust I wouldn't have wet spots on my pants. I remember them being a pack of 20 mediums for about $15 (I bought them from HDIS - which had just started in business by the case of 80). The plastic cover was a dead give away in a quiet room and they smelled exactly like pampers (both were made by P&G). I'd love to try some again these days. I am guessing that modern diapers are WAY better... but this diaper 30 years ago protected well, had a soft inner lining and was easy to put on so I remember it fondly.

Adjusted for inflation, prices for diapers now are a lot cheaper. These diapers were not that absorbent and I would use about 6 diapers a day... Incontinence cost me about 8% of my income.
Sounds a lot like me. I loved the smell of those classic attends and they was kind of loud too. I started out with the belted undergarments from depends as well. I also used a lot of the Depends overnights and remembered them coming out . they was a lot better than the standard depends diaper. had better wider tapes too. I think we have seen more change to the industry than most people here, I know there are a lot of older life timers on here with lifetime IC too but many would never understand how great it is now. I never new anyone thing no one wanted IC when we had to use those products that's for sure.

Last edited:
Back