How long before you clean and change a messy diaper?

CrossfireHurricane

longtime complete incontinent
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Having a dirty diaper has it's own challenges. U-IC is a little easier. Most of my BM's are nocturnal. Or sometimes in the morning. I live solo so I don't really worry about having a partner. Odor is limited by using internal deodorants (Nullo). But still, a loaded diaper sometimes still smells a little bit. Honestly, since I've always been incontinent, I understand that messy diapers are a regular thing. It's not a shocking surprise. Obviously if I have one during the day, I clean up as a reasonable
time. Most of the time I know that most people really don't notice. At home it's a little bit different. I have the time to do my usual routine. I enjoy to do my morning activity, read the online news and a look at the ADISC forum. By then I know I'm not going to have anymore BM's and finally clean up and shower. Then my first morning diaper, get clothed and off to work. How long before you clean and change a messy diaper?

Reactions: Neroforte and Canadianfalls
To prevent chafing and irritation after an accident, I try to change immediately ( when practical ). Unfortunately if I wear a dirty diaper too long, it causes skin issues for me.

Reactions: HereWeGo2169, Neroforte and NappiedTruckDriver
ASAP.

Reactions: NappiedTruckDriver
For an actual mess, I change asap. It is particularly bad for my skin, so I need to change as soon as I am able. I get really cranky if I have to wait. I don't like it.

If I notice a little seepage during the day, I can usually wait until my next change since barrier cream seems to keep me protected. It's not great, but I can't change every single time, so I often have to play it by ear and use my best judgement.

Reactions: BigAl2 and NappiedTruckDriver
KitsuneFox said:
To prevent chafing and irritation after an accident, I try to change immediately ( when practical ). Unfortunately if I wear a dirty diaper too long, it causes skin issues for me.
Most of my accidents happen while sleeping. So I don't really know how long that might have been. To protect my skin I always use a good barrier cream. Actually every time. So it's not just the odor. Skin protection is key. And I also air-out everyday. After I have a shower and before I re-diaper, I sit for a while (on a water proof pad). Thankfully most of my accidents don't happen during the day. If they did I'd try to change as soon as possible. Even knowing that most people don't know.

Reactions: Canadianfalls and BigAl2
Well I guess I change when it's convenient 🙂 that and the fury that is IBS has come to rest....I've had IBS episodes that lasted longer than 5 hours... It's was painful and had a lot of gut spasms but not a lot of output. Lucky for me my skin is very resilient and I have stayed in a messy diaper for many hours and haven't had too many issues.....most days I am changing within an hour or less ...some days it feels like it isn't over ........other times I'm just lazy and don't care and will change when I feel like it.....it used to be like a immediat reaction to a mess as it used to gross me out and really upset me ....then I figured out that not fighting to hold it makes my IBS flare much shorter and way way way less painful well poopy diapers became ok and in a way welcomed and enjoyed. Also noticed that I have a lot of nights where my bowels empty in my sleep 💤 so yeah I've given up on the porcelain throne for the most part....my IC and IBS have me in tape on diapers 24-7 and I have very little control anymore.....

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl2
CrossfireDiaperHurricane said:
Most of my accidents happen while sleeping. So I don't really know how long that might have been. To protect my skin I always use a good barrier cream. Actually every time. So it's not just the odor. Skin protection is key. And I also air-out everyday. After I have a shower and before I re-diaper, I sit for a while (on a water proof pad). Thankfully most of my accidents don't happen during the day. If they did I'd try to change as soon as possible. Even knowing that most people don't know.
Agreed, I have to wear a good barrier 24/7 and clean/reapply every change. I try to get at least a few minutes of airtime at least once or twice a day to help prevent rashes. Skin care is SUPER important for those of us with FIC. I usually sit on the potty for airtime, if one is available during my change.

If I’m driving , when I can stop
If IBS movement ASAP

as soon as humanly possible. If accident at home it's change right then and now. If out change schedule go home & change.
I don't want that on my skin one second longer than I have to

Reactions: BigAl2, LittleKero and NappiedTruckDriver
At home it's a little bit different. I have the time to do my usual routine. I enjoy to do my morning activity, read the online news and a look at the ADISC forum.
In the morning, if I haven't had a BM while sleeping, I know that it's only about time. I never really have to use an enema (hate them - leaks) but sometimes a suppository (biscodyl) and gives me a clean day (I'm a teacher). In the morning after my routine I try to push out anything that might still be in me. It gives me a fresh day. Wet diapers really don't bother me.

If I'm goig out soon I change right away. If I have little to do I may wait up to a couple of hours. I really don't mind being in a messy diaper.

The few times I've experienced messy diapers, I've changed immediately (diarrhea). If I have one away from home, it'll be as soon as I can get home to change.

Most of my BM's are nocturnal. Odor is limited by using internal deodorants (Nullo). Most of the time I know that most people really don't notice.
Just like you, most of my BM's happens at night. My partner knows all about my medical IC and completely understand and acceptance. I've been using chlorophyll for years and if she is here over the weekends, she rarely notice the odor in the morning. She does say that she can smell something but it doesn't smell like poop (I think she is just being kind). In the morning I used to wait until I was sure that I won't have any more BM's. I'd go through my usual routine, wait for the morning accident ( smaller mess after the normal large BM when sleeping). Then I clean-up and shower.
Now that she's here, I try to clean-up and shower right away when I get up. The problem is that I often have an accident after I'm diapered-up. Which is a pain in the ass. A double-up clean/shower and a new, fresh diaper. She finally said "why don't you wait?" So now I went back to my normal routine.
She never complains about odor. I think most IC people who experience BM accidents and use internal deodorants, few people notice. So it's the same thing about my girlfriend.

As for barrier protection I use zinc-oxide ointment. My skin is pretty tough. After I clean-up I like to air out before I diaper myself. If I do have an accident during the day (rare), I usually go home. I do have my own office and personal bathroom but I'm never really confident about getting clean without a shower.

Having U-IC and F-IC together does complicates my life. But I've been IC since the beginning. I'm used to it. Thankfully I usually have solid BM's. I can't imagine what it must be like if someone experience regular diarrhea daily. Loose stool is my nightmare.

Reactions: jdinvirginia
Normally, I change within 45 minutes when I mess my diaper. I always wait at least 30 minutes after I poop because there is usually a second wave of poop coming out within about 30 minutes. If I am busy doing something important, I will finish whatever I am doing before changing. The only time I am in a poopy diaper for more than 3 or 4 hours is when I poop in my sleep which happens several times a week.

Reactions: RedStripeLvr
Peeing is not so bad but diarrhea is tough to take I have to change ASAP!

Reactions: slimjiminy
Short answer ASAP.

If i have any BM issues whilst outside the house, I goto a family bathroom right away, I dont think anyone want to smell it, nor do i. I always have a change with on the wheelchair, in the van, and one or the other is available is available.

So, change quickly, if home take a shower, best if you have a hand shower.

I change my poopy diaper immediately.

Reactions: Sidewinder and richieboy
I can be wet for a long time, mess I change right away

Reactions: richieboy, KindaOlde and Sidewinder
richieboy said:
Peeing is not so bad but diarrhea is tough to take I have to change ASAP!
It is the same for me as well.

Reactions: richieboy
Back