How do you know if your a furry?

thatoneoddball

Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
I’m not actively a furry, but I’ve definitely been sat down and taken some time to think and wonder if I possibly am one. Since my ex friend ended our friendship- I can truly interact with myself now and this was one of the things she was against, so now it’s come back up for me. For those who are furrys or interact with furries what was the signs? Are there signs? For me, I find myself reading a lot of abdl comics that have furries as the main characters and I enjoy them. But I don’t know if that counts towards it- but another thing for me is I would totally love to cosplay/dress up as an animal, take a rabbit for example or make a fur suit for one and call it Buns. I’m asking, though so I don’t state I am a furry when I’m not- I do not wish to harm the furry community by any chance. Thank you for reading my post and interacting with it.

Last edited:
  • Thinking
Reactions: KBoy and Cottontail
Welcome, @thatoneoddball. The definition of “furry” is very permissive. If you’d call yourself interested in anthropomorphic animals, you qualify. You don’t need a fursona, a suit, or any of that, though being interested in those things is a further indication. I’d say the label is yours for the taking, although if you don’t want it, that’s fine too!

(But if you do want it, I fully endorse your rabbit idea. Safety in numbers, ha ha.)

((And I hope you find the site fun and helpful. I’m sorry to hear about your less-than-supportive friend.))

Last edited:
Reactions: KBoy and thatoneoddball
Cottontail said:
Welcome, @thatoneoddball. The definition of “furry” is very permissive. If you’d call yourself interested in anthropomorphic animals, you qualify. You don’t need a fursona, a suit, or any of that, though being interested in those things is a further indication. I’d say the label is yours for the taking, although if you don’t want it, that’s fine too!

(But if you do want it, I fully endorse your rabbit idea. Safety in numbers, ha ha.)
Hello! And thank you, to be quite honest I’d gladly take the furry label. The furry community from what I’ve read and heard seems like an enjoyable community to be apart of. My ex friend just kept pushing that down, so it really made me keep in the dumps. Sorry I keep bringing them up, it was a recent breakup of a friendship over the last weekend. I just wasn’t sure if I could be apart of the community, so I figured I’d ask and explain some indicators first. Thank you for being so kind.

hi there!! i've been a furry for as long as i can remember, but i did have it "pointed out" to me somewhat at some point by a friend lol! i've always gravitated toward anthropomorphic ("human-like") animal characters, even as a kid my favorites were Sonic, Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon! whenever i got the internet and saw furry art i was instantly hooked, i thought it was so cool and creative and i would sit and look at the art for hours and hours. then i found myself looking at fursuits and well... the rest was history, it kinda hit me like a truck! i started drawing furry art & i still draw it to this day whenever i can! i still browse furry art when i can, too

there's no real line between people who are furries and people who aren't, for example, some people consider themselves furries who only like mostly human characters with some animal traits like ears and tails, while others only like furry characters who are more "realistic" animals. you don't have to participate in the community or anything or have a fursona or want a fursuit if you don't want to, if you enjoy furry art, i'd say that's more than enough reason to call yourself a furry if you want to! usually the art is one of the big draws for people, it can just be so creative and appealing! my favorite ABDL comics are the ones about furry characters, too : )

Reactions: PaddedCub, KBoy and Cottontail
PaddedPonyboy said:
hi there!! i've been a furry for as long as i can remember, but i did have it "pointed out" to me somewhat at some point by a friend lol! i've always gravitated toward anthropomorphic ("human-like") animal characters, even as a kid my favorites were Sonic, Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon! whenever i got the internet and saw furry art i was instantly hooked, i thought it was so cool and creative and i would sit and look at the art for hours and hours. then i found myself looking at fursuits and well... the rest was history, it kinda hit me like a truck! i started drawing furry art & i still draw it to this day whenever i can! i still browse furry art when i can, too

there's no real line between people who are furries and people who aren't, for example, some people consider themselves furries who only like mostly human characters with some animal traits like ears and tails, while others only like furry characters who are more "realistic" animals. you don't have to participate in the community or anything or have a fursona or want a fursuit if you don't want to, if you enjoy furry art, i'd say that's more than enough reason to call yourself a furry if you want to! usually the art is one of the big draws for people, it can just be so creative and appealing! my favorite ABDL comics are the ones about furry characters, too : )
Hi! Thank you for responding do you by any chance read “shine” I’ve been reading that abdl comic since I found it when I was ten (parents didn’t have parental lock on my devices) I’ve had any idea how Bun’s would look, she’d have white and pink and purple fur, if that helps at all as well.

Reactions: KBoy, Cottontail and PaddedPonyboy
thatoneoddball said:
Hi! Thank you for responding do you by any chance read “shine” I’ve been reading that abdl comic since I found it when I was ten (parents didn’t have parental lock on my devices) I’ve had any idea how Bun’s would look, she’d have white and pink and purple fur, if that helps at all as well.
i haven't read that one! where is it hosted, i would love to read it!

that's cute! it sounds like you have a nice idea, i think it would be fun for you to come up with some more ideas for your character! you've got a good start! pink and purple are two of my favorite colors

Reactions: KBoy, thatoneoddball and Cottontail
PaddedPonyboy said:
i haven't read that one! where is it hosted, i would love to read it!

that's cute! it sounds like you have a nice idea, i think it would be fun for you to come up with some more ideas for your character! you've got a good start! pink and purple are two of my favorite colors
It’s on furinfity but I think it’s under the creator there as Star but she made the comic on deviant art at first and that’s how I originally found it as I was a dumb kid and apparently very curious about ppl in diapers at the age of ten for some reason. There’s also another comic by paddle fluff I believe- on fur infinity that is furry based and it’s about a cat named Emily. Ok maybe I have more indicators then I thought…

Like the whole ABDL thing, I think I was a furry (feathery?) long before I knew what it was, or that there were others like me.

I've always had an appreciation of Nature, and especially after I started flying (airplanes) in my teens, I've identified with birds. In today's terms, I just say "I identify as a bird". I feel like I understand birds, the avian lifestyle, the needs and wants, and see things as a forest bird might. And of course, what it might be like to fly like a bird, which is nothing like flying an airplane. While I considered myself an average pilot when it came to pushing and pulling on mechanical controls, my understanding of things like aerodynamics, navigation, weather... seemed to be very intuitive.

I enjoy stories that take a non-human view of things; I've mentioned "Raven's End" by Ben Gadd. Or stories that take advantage of natural abilities like David Brin's "uplift" stories, where dolphins make really good starship pilots. I sometimes imagine myself in stories where my avian traits would come in handy, like how the quick reactions of a bird would let me dodge those phaser bolts.

And there's a whole list of things about me that become very easy to explain (or need no explanation) if you just assume I'm a bird 🐦 :D.

So, even though I've never been to a con, created any furry art or literature, or worn a fursuit, I guess I am a furry (feathery!).

Reactions: KBoy, Cottontail and thatoneoddball
I suppose it's also worth mentioning that being both an AB/little and a furry doesn't mean you have to be a babyfur/diaperfur. There are many for whom the interests are completely separate. You'll find members who are furries but are reluctant to discuss their fursonas on ADISC because they don't want them associated with diapers, and of course that's totally fine.

I’m not sure if I’m a baby fur but I’ve definitely read a bunch of furrys in diapers in comics before and I’ve seen some pics on the internet thank you for disclosing this to me as well.

thatoneoddball said:
I’m not actively a furry, but I’ve definitely been sat down and taken some time to think and wonder if I possibly am one. Since my ex friend ended our friendship- I can truly interact with myself now and this was one of the things she was against, so now it’s come back up for me. For those who are furrys or interact with furries what was the signs? Are there signs? For me, I find myself reading a lot of abdl comics that have furries as the main characters and I enjoy them. But I don’t know if that counts towards it- but another thing for me is I would totally love to cosplay/dress up as an animal, take a rabbit for example or make a fur suit for one and call it Buns. I’m asking, though so I don’t state I am a furry when I’m not- I do not wish to harm the furry community by any chance. Thank you for reading my post and interacting with it.
Gave this a read. I think it more depends on how you want to label yourself. I don't think there is like a checklist of things that require you to be a furry you just have to like anthropomorphic aniamls basically. From what you discribed then sure I can see someone calling you a furry for sure but it's nothing to worry over

Thank you!

Here’s the picrew of my fursona. This is Buns and she’s 22 -loves pink and purple and likes to read and draw. Her favorite food is Mac and cheese. She does have a little side.
IMG_8623.jpeg

Reactions: KBoy, CutestPaddedFemboy, rennecfox and 1 other person
Aww. Love it! Nicely done. (I had to look up picrew. I’m obviously behind on some things.)

Kraft, Velveeta, or Annie’s? :)

Cottontail said:
Aww. Love it! Nicely done. (I had to look up picrew. I’m obviously behind on some things.)

Kraft, Velveeta, or Annie’s? :)
Annie’s! She’s also a cracker of sweets. And thank you! I used picrew since I’m terrible at drawling lol and I forgot to mention she loves space

thatoneoddball said:
Do you associate a part of yourself with an avatar of an animal of some type?

Yeah, I’ve always liked wearing cat years in middle school but stopped in high school. The fursona I made is how I’d like my fur suit to look like if I ever get the chance to make one

I love them, they are cute, but I never associated myself with them, my character isn't an anthropomorphic animal, I am a devil, but I love to communicate with furries.

• Love
For me there's a lot of different qualifiers, but that really only matters once you've already dove in to the deep end of getting involved, where you feel comfortable and who you like socializing with. Then again, keep in mind I'm someone who sees herself as her fursona, not as human so I will absolutely have a different way of looking at all this than someone who feels human first and Furry second, and I welcome that. I'm working on a YouTube video that gets into all that nitty gritty, but all that really matters to join up and be an active member is to like anthropomorphic animals/animal characters with human characteristics. Creating a fursona is the first internal step, since you're gonna need to have something to go by with your furry friends. I did see the piccrew (dunno what that is really, I'm an analog cat) and I think your fursona design is very cute and would fit right in to the babyfur circles I've been in.

It seems that at this point you're already sure of your answer, and that's a pretty good sign you were a Furry all along ;3 welcome to the community, enjoy your stay, and do a little learning about our internal history ^^

Back