Guest viewing is limited
  • Guests can only view a limited number of pages. Please log in or register to remove this limit.
  • 2 guest views remaining

How do IC people survive in Europe with paid restrooms?

Calico

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
Pretty much anywhere in Europe, you have to pay to use the restroom. So I wonder where does this lead to for those who have incontinence? Basically you have to pay to change your diaper or what about those with bowel or bladder issues like Crohn's disease or IBS? Are you guys housebound or what?

Or could this be the reason why Europe made very absorbent diapers for adults?

That is the reason so many of us Brits wear Nappies we cannot afford the toilet entrance fees !
Just joking 😁
We have a system in some places where you get given a RADAR key by "continence" advisors and that gives free public access to disabled toilets if you csn find one.

Last edited:
Reactions: TigerDL, Dinotopian2002, NappiedTruckDriver and 1 other person
I think this is a pretty much non-existent issue here, a lot of restrooms are free, some you pay like 10-50 cents on an 'honour system'.

Napincolove said:
That is the reason so many of us Brits wear Nappies we cannot afford the toilet entrance fees !
Just joking 😁
We have a system in some places where you get given a RADAR key by "continence" advisors and that gives free public access to disabled toilets if you csn find one.
You can just buy a Radar key from incontinence supply stores such as Incontinence Choice.

Reactions: Prillprillprill
Actually there are public toilets that are free to use, such as those in service stations, supermarkets and shopping malls; there aren't many owned by the local council anymore, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. It's mostly restaurants, cafés and bars that don't allow people to use their toilets unless they're customers.

Reactions: GatoChihuahua
So it's a EU thing to have the disabled restrooms and the disabled key? I thought it was in the UK only.

Reactions: Pino and GatoChihuahua
The same way normal people do. Except most people who wear diapers have to physically go to the bathroom a lot less so....

Its not as bad as some people think. Most places you can find something free.

Reactions: GatoChihuahua
I live in France and I have never seen a paid restroom

I have a key which is very useful in busy places

Reactions: NappiedTruckDriver
Paid toilets in Sweden are few and far between. In my city I know of 2 and there are hundreds of free toilets provided by the municipality

Calico said:
So it's a EU thing to have the disabled restrooms and the disabled key? I thought it was in the UK only.
It's mainly a UK thing, some other countries may use it but most don't. Public restrooms in gas stations always charge 0,70 EUR nowadays, other public restrooms (like the ones in restaurants or taverns) are free but then you have to eat/drink something in there.

In my country there is apparently a card you can request, when you have bowel incontinence (only for that, not for urinary incontinence) that sch places allow you to use the restroom for free but few establishments know this and others don't care.

Otherwise, all other toilets are free but not very ..... clean...

Hi Calico,

So I don't know where you picked up this rumor, but I would argue that the "restroom situation" in Europe is often significantly better than in the States. There is no RADAR or CBF key system in the US. It's all privately regulated. Some states have laws that require stores to allow handicapped access to restrooms - but that doesn't mean they always do. Disabled toilets are not universal and public toilets are often quite scary - some don't even have doors in the stalls.

In Europe there are of course differences - but all in all I would say that it is better here.

How the authorization works with the RADAR key I do not know. The CBF key that works in some European countries you can only acquire with a medical certificate or a corresponding officially disabled ID.

It then allows access to disabled toilets which are partly provided exclusively (i.e. only for key holders) by the municipalities. The same applies to many freeway service areas or event locations.

mickdl said:
So I don't know where you picked up this rumor,
On reddit and lot of users there talked about how there is no free restroom and several comments mentioned Germany because you have to pay for every restroom. It was like that for me in Paris too, even places like museums charged for toilets. I could never wash my hands because of it when I would eat. So I have to pay to wash my hands?

So it made me think people would have to pay to change their diaper? People would have to carry a shitload of change (coins) if they have a small bladder? How would this not be discrimination?

Thankfully in the UK the toilets were free underground in London and in lot of places like restaurants or fast food and when we go to places to see things.

OldTerry said:
I have a key which is very useful in busy places
So do I

I pay, change my nappy and come out. 50c doesnt break the bank!

Reactions: diapeybabybrian
This brings to mind that Mitchell and Webb skit about the Evil Vicar. 'At least leave a quid for the upkeep!'

Not every toilet and redtroom needs to be paid.
Isually those who needs to be paid are on petrol and railway stations.
Toilets in shopping malls, cinemas, caffe’s, bars and restaurants are free of charge.

Reactions: winterheart01
Exactly that. And with a key you don't have to pay eather. And the key works mostly on on petrol and railway stations...

You can buy the radar key on eBay if you need to. They’re dirt cheap.

ANYONE CAN USE OUR BATHROOM POLICY

Nathan For You

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Back