How can I (male) prevent leakage at night

andreasdl

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
When I use my diaper while lying in bed the urine flows over the waist and the most in my bed.
Can anyone give me advice to reduce leakages?

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: Woncrinklz, Angelapinks and (deleted member)
get some high waisted plastic pants

Reactions: Woncrinklz, BBBen, BabyLouise and 2 others
andreasdl said:
When I use my diaper while lying in bed the urine flows over the waist and the most in my bed.
Can anyone give me advice to reduce leakages?
I solved this problem for me by wearing an Tranquility ATN diaper or any good night diaper and on top a flannel or terrycloth pull on pant (both from Kins) and then my high waist rubber pants also from Kins. Comfortable most nights but now that summer is here I need to turn on the air conditioning to stay comfortable at night.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBBen, Freddie07601 and (deleted member)
Several options:

1. Wear cloth diapers. This is the most reliable solution, but I realize a lot of people don't have the living arrangement/laundry setup to do this. If you want to experiment, but don't want to spend the money in case it doesn't work, you can try it with a bath towel, assuming you have some waterproof pants. The rest of the suggestions assume you have a disposable diaper.

2. Point down at night. If this works for you it will certainly solve your problem, but there are two reasons it may not work. For one, the little guy has a mind of his own and may not stay where you left him, so you're back to the original problem of leaking over the top. For another, if you're prone to morning erections you may wake up early in pain, a sort of all-natural masochistic alarm clock.

3. Stuff a cloth booster in the front of your diaper, covering your penis. This means you can still point up, but there's something in the way of the stream that will cause it to spread out to be absorbed by the diaper rather than going out the top. This doesn't have to be a real cloth booster. It could be a dish towel or something as an experiment.

4. As above, but use that cloth booster to hold your downward-pointing penis in place. This solves the first problem of pointing down at night since it will keep everything in place.

5. Use the QuickChange Incontinence Wrap or something similar. This is like the cloth booster in that it encloses your penis and will absorb and spread out pee rather than letting it shoot out the top. Here's what the wrap looks like when it's folded:

QuickChange-Wrap-Folded-_Standard_1f440b65-f458-4428-9a39-403964449cb2_2048x2048.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: BBBen and Fiammaverde
1. Find nappies with tall leak guards.
2. Point down.
3. Remove your hair from the entire area to prevent wicking.
4. Wear waterproof pants on top.

Reactions: BBBen and Fiammaverde
I think it boils down to what diaper do you wear. A number of the cheaper brands won't hold up to a full nights pee. I've settled on the InControl Inspire brand for my night time use. I rarely have a problem with leaks as they seem to hold up to numerous wettings. They aren't terrible expensive at about 1.70 each in case lots. A nice benefit is their cases come with 48 in them so plenty to last for awhile.

Reactions: Lilrae
sotexasDL said:
It boils down to what diaper you wear.
You have the pleasure of being in control. However, because I am in a nursing home, I do not believe they will change diaper brands. As a result, I wake up with a wet bed pad and wet linens most mornings. That is my life here.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: Freddie07601, diapeybabybrian, Angelapinks and 1 other person
Goodnites bedmats will protect the bed

I found what helped me was to get an extra large booster like a North shore and pull it higher in the front and after I diaper up tuck it down and make sure that my penis is between the layers of the booster. Also I have found a high-waisted diaper works best. Also a pad for sleeping on to protect the bed is a plus.

Reactions: WillFord384
Generally, point down.

Make sure your fit is tight around the legs and waist - loose diapers rarely wick moisture, and are often about as useful as having nothing at all. This will often mean different positions for different people, so it’s worth adjusting to see what works best for you.

As someone with a full set of hair down there, it’s not nearly as much of a difference in terms of leaks as some have claimed, and in my experience, shaving it can lead to significant chafing. I’d recommend against it as a leak prevention technique, personally, but to each their own.

Boosters and wraps can help, but only if your diaper is not capable of holding the load. It’s worth looking at whether those options with boosters or wraps each night are more price competitive than just investing in a better diaper, if you have control over that choice.

ManeWulf said:
Generally, point down.

Make sure your fit is tight around the legs and waist - loose diapers rarely wick moisture, and are often about as useful as having nothing at all. This will often mean different positions for different people, so it’s worth adjusting to see what works best for you.

As someone with a full set of hair down there, it’s not nearly as much of a difference in terms of leaks as some have claimed, and in my experience, shaving it can lead to significant chafing. I’d recommend against it as a leak prevention technique, personally, but to each their own.

Boosters and wraps can help, but only if your diaper is not capable of holding the load. It’s worth looking at whether those options with boosters or wraps each night are more price competitive than just investing in a better diaper, if you have control over that choice.

The point of a booster or wrap in this case is not that it's going to absorb that much, rather that it will slow down/spread out/redirect the pee so that the diaper can do its job.

Reactions: xtrucker59
I wear leak proof panties over my diaper and put a bed pad down just in case both leak. I'm incontinent but also a diaper lover and honestly I really enjoy wetting the bed and have wether accidentally or purposely for most of my life. While I love being in a wet diaper I don't enjoy it soaking my mattress.

Reactions: Angelapinks
If you have a problem where you can’t get the top tight enough, then I suggest wearing gym shorts with elastic waist. It also helps to tape while laying down or adjusting the tapes in bed. Your body shape might change slightly from standing to laying down so the fit is slightly different.

SeniorMan said:
You have the pleasure of being in control. However, because I am in a nursing home, I do not believe they will change diaper brands. As a result, I wake up with a wet bed pad and wet linens most mornings. That is my life here.
My Aide realized that an additional bed pad would be able to absorb my pee well enough to keep the linens dry. However, expecting them to purchase bedwetting diapers is still highly unlikely.

SeniorMan said:
As one who is likely to have to move to a care facility at some point, I am concerned about what it will be like. I'm wearing MegaMax, which makes incontinence very manageable. I wouldn't even call my incontinence a problem. I almost never have any kind of diaper leak. I know that other premium disposable diapers work as well as MegaMax. I can't understand why hospitals and other care facilities purchase such inadequate adult diapers. Is it because of the "check and change every two hours except when sleeping" rule? There is a HUGE difference between waking up in a wet diaper and waking up in a wet bed. A wet bed is entirely preventable, and waking up in a dry bed helps to improve a person's sense of well-being and dignity. Unfortunately, there's no dollar amount that describes the value of that feeling.

For many of us, diapers, like canes and walkers, are tools that help us live more comfortably in bodies that don't work as well as they once did. If we enjoy the experience of wearing diapers, I don't think that's something we need to feel embarrassed about.

Reactions: slimjiminy
I have to his issue with MegaMax nappies.

I point down and generally sleep on my back but after an initial wetting or two, but no where near maxing out the MM capacity, it starts to wick towards up the sides that have no padding.
I always wear plastic pants but with nowhere for the liquid to go they can easily give up and I leak into the bed.

I’m assuming that it’s because the medium sized MM comes up big on me but it’s annoying as I really like the disposable.
I do have cloth contour nappies that are occasionally pinned over a smaller disposable (Tena Ultima etc) to catch any overflow but if I tried that over a MegaMax the bulk would mean a restless sleep.

Reactions: Lostdiapersboy
could always try useing them absorbent bedmats

Babybear2006 said:
Goodnites bedmats will protect the bed
I want that the urine stays in the diaper...
That is the reason for my post!!!

I wear better dry diapers and I have very few leaks but they still happen tall PUL pants on to of your diaper will help i’ve bought a few from here in the past

Reactions: Angelapinks
Try putting a thick maxipad across the front top of the diaper before putting it on. I read this on a mom's forum looking to solve the same problem for their baby boys. I was having the same issue and solved the problem for me!

Reactions: xtrucker59 and Woncrinklz
Back