High Capacity Pul Ups

BabyLouise said:
I have tried and failed with pull ups and only feel safe in diapers. There must be a high capacity (at least 2500 and preferably 3000+) pull up? Plastic backed would be a plus. I always wear plastics but still always leak in the pull ups I have tried. Any ideas?
The reason you don't get hi capacity pull ups is the elasticated pants can't support the weight off higher capacity .
First problem is the pendulum effect as it begins to hang down int he crotch with weight , second is when the pull ups get too heavy and begin to slide down your legs and you end up walking like a duck trying to stop the inevitable .

Reactions: Edgewater
Edgewater said:
Reality Check: Pull-up are by design, unable to support the weight of high-capacity. As capacity exceeds the designs ability to maintain position, they will slide down. It is a gravity thing!

You can pull the best design features from a baby's diaper and upsize them and shock and surprise the differences in adult release volume and the baby design will fail.

Even the quality of NorthShores Supreme Pull-ups have limits and cannot equal the abilities of a NorthShore's MegaMax, Tab Style Diaper for capacity and length of wear.

If you want maximum capacity in a diaper: Try Three Adult, Night-Time Weight, Pre-folded Cloth Diapers with Three Flat Cloth Diapers folder between each layer and plastic pants! It is a true baby look, all-be-it, old school!
It's not even a capacity thing IMO. I don't want 2 liters of cap in a pull up. I want a pull up that fits properly, feels alright, and won't leak before I find a change. Very few products on the market can do 2, let alone all 3 of those. A pull up is more of an insurance policy than a diaper, so it's not supposed to be a high capacity item. If they scaled up underjams or a similar product, they'd probably be a hit. I'd probably give them a try. Most of the crap on the market doesn't fit the body well, and most don't have leak guards. Those that do are quite short, making it more difficult to get a good fit if your parts are on the outside of your body. There are certainly design considerations for scaling a product, but it shouldn't be that difficult. The ABDL companies seem to have it figured out, but can't translate this to a pull up due to aforementioned legal mess.

Reactions: Traveler, BadAtNames and artemisenterri
Edgewater said:
Reality Check: Pull-up are by design, unable to support the weight of high-capacity. As capacity exceeds the designs ability to maintain position, they will slide down. It is a gravity thing!

You can pull the best design features from a baby's diaper and upsize them and shock and surprise the differences in adult release volume and the baby design will fail.

Even the quality of NorthShores Supreme Pull-ups have limits and cannot equal the abilities of a NorthShore's MegaMax, Tab Style Diaper for capacity and length of wear.

If you want maximum capacity in a diaper: Try Three Adult, Night-Time Weight, Pre-folded Cloth Diapers with Three Flat Cloth Diapers folder between each layer and plastic pants! It is a true baby look, all-be-it, old school!
I've thought about this. There was a formula I can member about age and oz of urine on average. Think it was age plus 4 oz or something like that. I think you are right. That's why I sleep in night weight prefolds and heavy duty plastic pants. Only thing I've found that holds my 30 oz of urine I release at night after drinking. Love walking around before bed in poofy old school stuff.

• Thinking
Reactions: Traveler and artemisenterri
CAM3RON said:
I've thought about this. There was a formula I can member about age and oz of urine on average. Think it was age plus 4 oz or something like that. I think you are right. That's why I sleep in night weight prefolds and heavy duty plastic pants. Only thing I've found that holds my 30 oz of urine I release at night after drinking. Love walking around before bed in poofy old school stuff.
I dont think that formula makes sense at all,

Age plus 4 oz, maybe till age 20, but i'm 52 so that would be 56oz. That is a lot!!!

My grandpa when he dies would be over 100oz.

So, despite that.

Yes a super capacity pullup would likely fall down as the elastic isnt going to hold up that much weight, and if they make the elastic super strong then its not as comfortable and/or dont fit as much a range of sizes.

As for IP, i'm sure that there is some issues there as there is in the diaper realm as well, with things like wetness channels and i'm sure the stuff inside the diaper as well.

But overall, a pullup is not for full IC or full wetting, that is what a diaper is for. The product IMHO are set apart correctly and the less absorbant pullup is a thiner product and more descreet, where a diaper is bulkier and holds more and can hold up to the weight being taped on.

The things like underjams or akin for kids bedwetting, are more of a hybrid and are really more a diaper than a pullup. they are there for full wetting, yet allow young kids to feel they are underwear and be easier to put on/off so parents can let them do it for themself.

I'd say that there may be a market for something like a diaper that is elastic waist, but likely still suffer from the weight issues, which may physically be the limit on capacity and usefullness.

If the weight is not an issue or perhaps can be mitigated to a point it will also take a whole new production line to build them, as currently there is nothing setup for a full elastic shell, leak guards, and a full SAP padding layer. The current pullups are a small center pad area.

It can be done, but it will take some money to even start to design one as the intregration of basically 2 different lines and mfg tech will be expensive likely.

But, sooner or later i see a mfg making something like a fully padded diaper with leak guards in a pullup shell.

For now, i think the best there is for pullups are like the NorthShore ones, they seem pretty thick, albeit not close to a megamax at all, but the other day the nurse here did see the pullup and said it was the thickest one she has seen for adults to date, but she likely is only looking at the nursing hmes and hospitals and they get the cheapest thing and pay big prices for them...

• Love
  • Thinking
Reactions: artemisenterri and Edgewater
As others have said it dwells down to weight and elastics, doubt it would be very comfy.

Pull on style diapers only serve one purpose for me and that is if I plan to exercise and change out right after. Being fairly slender I have minimal issue sliding my diaper off if I require it. Everybody has a different body type though.

My biggest complaint about pull-ups is lack of good seal in the crotch... I have about a 37-inch waist but my thighs are so thick i can't even close both hands around them (affectionately termed "thunder thighs" back in the 80s)... Every adult pull-up i've tried would be either too tight (leading to early tearing of the sides) or too loose (gapping open leading to leaks)...

Reactions: Traveler
Edgewater said:

How big is your butt when you are wearing all that?

• Wow
I will say that I've heard that Molicare Mobile (also known as Molicare Premium Mobile) pull-ons are in roughly the same league as Abena Pants level 3 and Northshore GoSupreme. I have some Molicare Mobile, but haven't tried them yet.

Their naming for absorbency ratings is all over the map, though. I'm not sure which is actually the current one, since I've seen both sold at the same time for an extended period, but there's two different absorbency scales...

One scale maxes out at something small 4 or 5 drops (it might reach 6, which would also contribute to confusion with the other scale, but I'm not certain; it's probably more like 4), and for those products, they tend not to mention the drops in the marketing. They'll say things like Super or Plus, that sort of thing. I suspect those are much closer to standard medical pull-ons.

The other scale goes up to 10 drops, and though the text isn't on the packaging, they're sold using the names "6 drop," "8 drop," or the elusive "10 drop." Sometimes it's just abbreviated to things like 10D, instead. I know 10 drop exists, or did exist. It seems to be exceptionally rare, and I suspect it's been discontinued. I have the 8 drop, and I hope to try those soon. They're about as thick as the Abena Pants level 3.

EDIT: Found the "10 drops" version being sold by the manufacturer in the UK: https://www.hartmanndirect.co.uk/molicare-premium-mobile-10-drops/4052199275635

Last edited:
artemisenterri said:
My biggest complaint about pull-ups is lack of good seal in the crotch... I have about a 37-inch waist but my thighs are so thick i can't even close both hands around them (affectionately termed "thunder thighs" back in the 80s)... Every adult pull-up i've tried would be either too tight (leading to early tearing of the sides) or too loose (gapping open leading to leaks)...
This is the biggest issue with the style. I've never used the Northshore pull-ups, but my wife went through a few packs a couple of years back. She is slim waisted, average size hips for someone who has had multiple children, nothing way out of proportion or anything, but inevitably would have even a 1 to 2 inch gap between padding and thighs when lying on her back after the pull-up had absorbed moderate usage, thus rendering it quite useless when it comes to nighttime protection.

Last edited:
Reactions: Traveler
gdzone5507 said:
This is the biggest issue with the style. I've never used the Northshore pull-ups, but my wife went through a few packs a couple of years back. She is slim waisted, average size hips for someone who has had multiple children, nothing way out of proportion or anything, but inevitably would have even a 1 to 2 inch gap between padding and thighs when lying on her back after the pull-up had absorbed moderate usage, thus rendering it quite useless when it comes to nighttime protection.
Honestly, that’s where a scaled-up Pull Ups or Goodnites product would probably excel, if they would apply that technology to an adult product. Better fitting elastic, better leakguards and a longer core would go a long way to fixing the kinds of issues we have with the current “granny panty” style of pull up briefs out there now.

Reactions: artemisenterri and gdzone5507
As many already stated it's kind of not possible. The stretching of the elastic makes it a virtual impossibility because they can slide and move even when unused. After use you have that weight pulling down and the ability of the waistband to stretch it can't handle it. I feel as others mentioned that improvements are possible but for the most part most pull-ups are made to provide a discreet option not capacity.

Reactions: artemisenterri
The companies that make AB nappies should start to make pullups just like the toddler ones.

Reactions: artemisenterri and mistykitty
Baloo said:
The companies that make AB nappies should start to make pullups just like the toddler ones.
I agree, but like others said previously if the capacity increases something needs to be done to make the holding power of the elastics more robust for it to work.

mistykitty said:
I agree, but like others said previously if the capacity increases something needs to be done to make the holding power of the elastics more robust for it to work.
Here’s the thing though: you don’t need a ton of absorbency in a pull up, even in a ABDL pull up. Realistically, it’s not going to be a high capacity option, but you could definitely get away with packing a little more into the cores we already have so that you’d get some use out of them in a daytime setting. There’s also the fact that even children’s pull ups are purposely not as absorbent as diapers, so by that logic you don’t need to pack a Trest into a pull up, hypothetically speaking.

That nonwithstanding though, KC’s patents are pretty ironclad. They’re not giving them up anytime soon, so either you’d need to find a comparable workaround that doesn’t violate the patents, or we’re stuck with the styles of adult pull ups we already have.

Last edited:
  • Thinking
  • Sad
PaddedRebel said:
Here’s the thing though: you don’t need a ton of absorbency in a pull up, even in a ABDL pull up. Realistically, it’s not going to be a high capacity option, but you could definitely get away with packing a little more into the cores we already have so that you’d get some use out of them in a daytime setting. There’s also the fact that even children’s pull ups are purposely not as absorbent as diapers, so by that logic you don’t need to pack a Trest into a pull up, hypothetically speaking.

That nonwithstanding though, KC’s patents are pretty ironclad. They’re not giving them up anytime soon, so either you’d need to find a comparable workaround that doesn’t violate the patents, or we’re stuck with the styles of adult pull ups we already have.
Fair assessment here. I also kind of forgot about how patents and trademarks throw a wrench in things due to preventing the protected ideas from being copied.

mistykitty said:
Fair assessment here. I also kind of forgot about how patents and trademarks throw a wrench in things due to preventing the protected ideas from being copied.
ABU actually wrote a blog post about the idea of making a full-fledged ABDL pull up a while ago, and the biggest things holding it back are the patents behind the technology, the fact the machines for a garment of that style/size do not currently exist (every diaper we have is made on existing machinery), as well as the exorbitant cost to basically pioneer this sort of product given those roadblocks for what could be a small return on investment. It’s not that anyone doesn’t want to do it, it just can’t be done feasibly with where things stand.

Believe me, scaled-up adult versions of Huggies Pull Ups or any sort of disposable training pants is probably #1 on my list of things I want that we don’t have, and I really wish we did. I’m not sure if we’ll see them anytime soon honestly.

• Sad
PaddedRebel said:

Hmm. Got me thinking. I think us patients are good for 20 years I think. So original goodnites came out in 94 so they should be able to make something along those lines. Unless they updated patients on newer products to keep them current. Which I'm sure they did. Companies like that do not let that stuff slip.

CAM3RON said:
Hmm. Got me thinking. I think us patients are good for 20 years I think. So original goodnites came out in 94 so they should be able to make something along those lines. Unless they updated patients on newer products to keep them current. Which I'm sure they did. Companies like that do not let that stuff slip.
Not often at least. So you're probably right that the design is likely still under patent and therefore legally protected.

• Sad
The only pullups that I've felt comfortable with going full pee mode in are the abena pants, but they have alot of issues and are far from perfect. But if you don't mind the ugly sides and discretion isn't an issue I would recommend those!

Reactions: BabyLouise
I
mistykitty said:
Not often at least. So you're probably right that the design is likely still under patent and therefore legally protected.
It’s not just the design that’s patented. I just spent a few minutes looking, and it’s the material itself, the shape of the leg openings, pretty much everything about Pull Ups that makes them so unique is patent protected, and a lot of those patents are either renewed or updated often. It’d be tough to circumvent those.

• Wow
Back