Have you ever suffered a catastrophic diaper failure in public? If so what came of it?

Yes I stepped outside the other evening at work and as soon as I felt the cold air, I wet my diaper. It leaked all over my butt and down my leg. My pants were soaked.

One of my friends at work let me borrow some of her pajama pants (pajama day at work) and I ran to kohls and bought a new pair of jeans. People stared at me as I walked through the store… a guy wearing women’s pajama pants. I was embarrassed.

Reactions: Seasonedcitizen
ABedWetter said:
I wear 24/7 in thick diapers. They're more noticeable and make it harder to walk, but I'll never have a leak problem in public.
Exactly

Reactions: inconsurferdude and Deleted member 58550
I was wearing plastic backed disposables that startted rippping from the rear wings and started spilling used sap all over.😡😡😡

• Wow
Reactions: inconsurferdude
Jorelaxed said:
I was wearing plastic backed disposables that startted rippping from the rear wings and started spilling used sap all over.😡😡😡
I’ve had that

Reactions: Jorelaxed
I use the threaded armor diapers they seem
To work well for me when I am out and about
Or sleeping sometimes I wear plastic panties
Over them ..

I read this story on a diaper company’s forum page. A woman went for a job interview and had a #2 blowout. A week later she got a letter from the company. It was a bill for $300 for the chair and rug clean up.

• Wow
Reactions: Fleetwoodmac32192 and Jorelaxed
Raven801 said:
I wear atn and a booster too not too bad really... But my public diaper fail isn't what you would think..... I've had leaks many times... Yellow and brown I've had waist bands peak out but above all was a mega max I'd been stuck in for 9 hours failed in the most spectacular fashion right in the middle of a buckeez travel stop that was really busy... Somehow as I was in line for a brisket sandwich it decided that it had enough and split dam near front to back and all the mush inside came spilling out my shorts legs.... It was absolutely terrible luckily they had mopped the floor nearby so I grabbed the wet floor sign and put it over the pile of embarrassment and got the heck outta there ... Went down the road pulled over jumped in my camper and changed my diaper and my clothes.... Laugh about it now but dam thank goodness it was only wet.
This is why I only wear with a diaper cover overtop, those splitting issues are brutal.

Reactions: jonny77 and Jorelaxed
So the worst "malfunctions" I had in the where my incontinence changed. The intervals became less frequent, but I lost significantly more during an episode.

The pads I had used before did not work reliably and I needed a better aid. I had also tried condom catheters and found them much more comfortable than diapers. Well - if they worked... Unfortunately, they also have a decisive disadvantage: The tube or the condom can come off. This happened to me twice - after that I decided not to use the system anymore and to try it better with diapers.

The first malleur happened to me when I got out of the car. I got stuck with the hose on my knee. I still noticed that he went off, but could no longer hold it and shortly thereafter stood in a puddle and it was run into the shoes. Since I had to luckily only a few meters from the community garage to the house and it was fortunately already dark.

The second time I did not notice that the hose has gone off. That was also in the car and I've only noticed when it was warm on the butt. Since was then "only" the pants back completely soaked but the seat and the carpet underneath to get clean again was exhausting ... That was during the day but I had luckily a pair of jeans to change - so I went to the nearest toilet and changed. I think by the black pants have not noticed so many.

Reactions: Seasonedcitizen
I was leaking through my pads and pull-ups (like down the leg of my pants) pretty frequently before I accepted needing diapers, but I haven't had anything like that happen in public for years.

enthusi said:
I always wear a booster with ATNs.
Which ones do you use? I wear Abri-Let with my M4's at night sometimes, but they're a little too big (wide) for the ATN's it seems like.

So I have had some pretty embarrassing moments since my injury 12yrs ago and some worse than others. I will say some of the problems I had could of been prevented and some not. It's like leaks before I knew about diaper covers (i prefer either a pocket diaper or regular diaper cover with a prefold vs straight Plastic pants because the other 2 options if a leak happens if can absorb it I have had plastic pants leak because fluid had no where to go there good for minor leaks but not major ones) but also have had times where either I waited to long, forgot, or the option to change in my head was embarrassing. But I have had the days where I forgot to pack spare clothes and had to go to a store usually most times because I wear dark clothes you can't tell but when you use a bathroom or changing room and you come out in newly bought ones and the bag is tied up nothing has to be said the eyes tell all. But the thing is though times are different and there are few members here that were IC before Internet but even after I got hurt in 2011 at first I didn't think to search the internet so had dealt with crappie ones & eventually got better ones but honestly will explain below 2 out of 3 incidents were with premium diapers. Being paralyzed most catastrophic incidents are usually found while changing one because I don't have feeling and other is I am seated so kind of fortunate if you call it. But this can also be a pain because I have memory issues so usually I am happy when I open the bag and there is a diaper there but it's like I stopped using Comfidry because of tape issues though not catastrophic failure while using,but doing a DC when paralyzed it's not super easy so it really sucks when your about to tape up and either you don't have any or they fail and though I carry tape because I have had tapes either missing or break and be on last diaper

1st-though more my fault because I waited to long and have mentioned it here before but it was I think first big trip after my injury and was at Disney being paralyzed I can only hangs laying down so I only had 2 options go back to my hotel or multiple disability & special needs websites mentioned using first aid stations and what to say to them if you wanted to be discreet. But with my background I was really embarrassed about it and I can't be the only that does it but basically mentally I made the situation worse sure enough I ended up leaking in tan shorts which I didn't noticed but someone in the group in was with pulled me aside and we went to first aid and honestly though at that point they knew why I was there but there was no mention of a DC or diapers I was shown a room with a table that was lowered and had a pad on it. Fortunately I did have spare shorts with me but when I was leaving one of the nurses made a comment to the point of listen it's nothing to be embarrassed about people come here for that reason more than medical issues and it's ok but next time try to come sooner and honestly they were great and didn't have any issues in any parks and only one time I had a nurse that I legit had to say why I was there but she seemed clueless.

2. Few years later but happen at Disney and wasn't in public persay but at this point I was comfortable with changing in public (for most part) I also was using premium diapers. I was already little nervous because my shipment of Confidry's didn't come in time and at time I had ABU Space(I wasn't totally comfortable wearing them in public but they worked well and of prints not babyish but I learned a hard lesson I didn't notice on their page this is a warning about using ointments) I was changing and the back separated and had gel and sap go everywhere in the exam room so not only am I already slightly embarrassed even if I didn't mention I needed the room for a DC guy in wheelchair asking for a room with table they knew but then had to transfer to my chair then to the floor to clean it up the best I could and b/c tech used for medical I did pull a nurse aside prior to leaving and did offer to mop it but she made a comment to effect of it's probably embarrassing but I appreciate it there has been some that left a mess and didn't say anything.

3rd again not really public but like above but this one was more embarrassing because it happened at families home though they know I am IC but still try to be private same thing happen but this one had no warning on their page this time it was an XP5000(after 3 failures in one pack I stopped using them and unfortunately stuck with remainder of case) but similar as above was in middle of changing when sap & gel went everywhere this time because I was changing on a floor my changing pad caught most of it but it was still embarrassing because I had a friend who is like family that knew of my issues and provided me with the place to change.

I have only had those 2 major diaper failures while away(at home sux but it more frustrating like have to get shop vac out & I really don't understand warning some diapers have b/c if wearing for any period of time you need to protect your skin, but usually won't use those products anymore it's like I like a brand of boosters but they always split open) from home but like I mentioned above I have had my fair share of embarrassing moments and alot are preventable and some weren't like leaks but like forgetting diapers or supplies and had few times I forgot what diaper I had on but honestly it's more embarrassing for me or awkward like go to change &have a cloth diaper on which is more of a shock or wtf. Having memory issues has lead to many awkward and embarrassing moments.

when time goes by it is not the question IF this happens but only how often it happens.

in my childhood it happened on a regular basis every so often as I wore cloth diapers and plastic pants which where plagued with brittleness by the time till they ripped and with the diaper exposed to the pants the pants became the most outer layer of my diaper pack ... 😜 - pampers didn't exist at the time ...

later on I experimented with pampers and came up with a solution that worked best for me to get over a day without the necessity to change and this is what I practice still today - I always wear 2 diapers at a time. the first one fits perfectly (size M) but with a bunch of holes and a second one of the next size (L). now it happens times and again that I forget to put on the second one when there is any distraction like the phone rings or something like that and than I put on my pants ... of course this doesn't work so well and the nice feeling of getting warm at unusual areas followed by getting cold immediately indicates that the usual sort of failure.

although, in some cases it occurred also because of damaged diapers that leaked for some sort of production failure where all of a given pack ripped open at the same spot.

it's no catastrophe but only some sort of happening ... so what?

Last edited:
Back