Have you ever suffered a catastrophic diaper failure in public? If so what came of it?

enthusi

Young at heart, slightly older in other places.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
I thought of this question after an incident at home last night. I don’t know WTF happened, but somehow I managed to soak right through my diaper. This was no ordinary run-of-the-mill leak. It looked like I peed my pants…. Actually, technically I did.

Luckily I was in the privacy of my home so it wasn’t a big deal. But I shudder to think what it would be like to have that happen in public, especially if I’m with family or friends or colleagues.

Not sure if it matters, but it was a Tranquility ATN. Though I wear them all the time and this is the first time this has happened. That said, if it happened once then it can happen again. For those who have experienced a massive leak in public, what happened? How did you handle it?

Last edited:

jdinvirginia

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Add a small booster pad to your diaper. If your diaper leaks after that, ask whether you need a more absorbent diaper.

Consider wearing a diaper cover (aka "plastic pants"). Any diaper can experience the occasional failure. Plastic pants keep that failure from being noticeable.

Reactions: Constantlydamp

parcelboy2

Padded Truck driver
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Yep
I had a pocket nappy on in a coffee shop , I should have changed it before I left my aunts house but didn’t 😳
1 pee to many and press out. My shorts ere wet even though I was wearing PU pants as well

enthusi

Young at heart, slightly older in other places.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
jdinvirginia said:
Add a small booster pad to your diaper. If your diaper leaks after that, ask whether you need a more absorbent diaper.

Consider wearing a diaper cover (aka "plastic pants"). Any diaper can experience the occasional failure. Plastic pants keep that failure from being noticeable.
I always wear a booster with ATNs.

Raven801

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I wear atn and a booster too not too bad really... But my public diaper fail isn't what you would think..... I've had leaks many times... Yellow and brown I've had waist bands peak out but above all was a mega max I'd been stuck in for 9 hours failed in the most spectacular fashion right in the middle of a buckeez travel stop that was really busy... Somehow as I was in line for a brisket sandwich it decided that it had enough and split dam near front to back and all the mush inside came spilling out my shorts legs.... It was absolutely terrible luckily they had mopped the floor nearby so I grabbed the wet floor sign and put it over the pile of embarrassment and got the heck outta there ... Went down the road pulled over jumped in my camper and changed my diaper and my clothes.... Laugh about it now but dam thank goodness it was only wet.

Reactions: slimjiminy and jonny77

Rita

Padded Rita
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I haven't in Public thanks goodness !
Back when I was had too started to wearing for the first time , Them store brands diapers wasn't quite doing it for me !! Always had a sogginess for a few mornings !!!

jonny77

Tykable lover
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Raven801 said:
I wear atn and a booster too not too bad really... But my public diaper fail isn't what you would think..... I've had leaks many times... Yellow and brown I've had waist bands peak out but above all was a mega max I'd been stuck in for 9 hours failed in the most spectacular fashion right in the middle of a buckeez travel stop that was really busy... Somehow as I was in line for a brisket sandwich it decided that it had enough and split dam near front to back and all the mush inside came spilling out my shorts legs.... It was absolutely terrible luckily they had mopped the floor nearby so I grabbed the wet floor sign and put it over the pile of embarrassment and got the heck outta there ... Went down the road pulled over jumped in my camper and changed my diaper and my clothes.... Laugh about it now but dam thank goodness it was only wet.
Oh wow. That musta sucked.

• Wow
Reactions: Kellycares

WaddleBum92

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I had an interesting one recently….wearing a fairly wet Tena Slip and I sat down quite quickly when in Starbucks. This caused the SAP jelly to force itself out of the front waistband at top of the nappy and all I could feel was a jelly explosion on my stomach. That was a very awkward run to the toilet to change!

parcelboy2

Padded Truck driver
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
WaddleBum92 said:
I had an interesting one recently….wearing a fairly wet Tena Slip and I sat down quite quickly when in Starbucks. This caused the SAP jelly to force itself out of the front waistband at top of the nappy and all I could feel was a jelly explosion on my stomach. That was a very awkward run to the toilet to change!
Not nice 😢

CheshireCat

Neuromuscular Disability
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I became incontinent in 1994. The choices in diapers back then were not good. At home I wore Attends Institutional Briefs with Micropore Liner and when out of the home I wore Attends Perma-Dry Briefs with 6 tapes. I was a very heavy wetter because of the massive amount of steroids and other medication I was on. One void and I needed to be changed immediately. IMMEDIATELY! So I had catastrophic diaper failures daily. That is why my wife and I decided to switch me to cloth diapers and plastic pants when at home, which was most of the time.

Reactions: Daverde

parcelboy2

Padded Truck driver
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
CheshireCat said:
I became incontinent in 1994. The choices in diapers back then were not good. At home I wore Attends Institutional Briefs with Micropore Liner and when out of the home I wore Attends Perma-Dry Briefs with 6 tapes. I was a very heavy wetter because of the massive amount of steroids and other medication I was on. One void and I needed to be changed immediately. IMMEDIATELY! So I had catastrophic diaper failures daily. That is why my wife and I decided to switch me to cloth diapers and plastic pants when at home, which was most of the time.
Cloth seems to take a flood far better than disposables even when wet

Reactions: ParaRomeo and CheshireCat

Zeke

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I’ve had some disposable failures but only had minor leaks as the plastic pants that I always wear over any kind of diaper saved the day. These failures generally come when I was forced to wear a diaper long past when it was at capacity due to not being to find facilities where I could change. Plastic pants have also saved me from a messy leak getting past the leak guards and leaving brown stains in them rather than my jeans. I’ve been a plastic pants lover since I was a toddler (or as far back as I can remember), but in the past 6 plus years they’ve become my best friends and heroes as they’ve often saved my clothing (and dignity) since becoming dual IC.

Reactions: Constantlydamp

rennecfox

Continuing to put quarters in the life game
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Incontinent
One time I was at work and it was approaching closing time, I noticed a polymer trail, went back to the bathroom ans realized there was a hole in the back of my diaper

Lecktroman

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
CheshireCat said:
The infamous Micropore was supposed to be the thing but it was like wearing sand-paper sheet in your undies! Man i hated those.

Reactions: CheshireCat

jdinvirginia

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
As CheshireCat and others have indicated, cloth diapers (always requiring plastic pants) are both more reliable and more economical than disposables. At night they solve the problem for side sleepers of disposable diapers frequently leaking. However, they may not be practical for most of us in public, particularly in the workforce.

With a highly absorbent disposable diaper, a small booster pad, and plastic pants, a leak onto outer clothing is much less likely and, if it does occur, will be much smaller in volume. As I am both bowel and bladder incontinent, I spend a lot of time thinking (worrying) about these things.

DreamerBen

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Fortunately not in public for a very long time. Only minor leaks hided with dark clothes.
Still happens at night with the Tena pants sometimes leaking through. But only in private and the matress is protected. Only the sheet needs to be washed 🙄

jdinvirginia

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I should add that I always wear black jeans so that a minor leak should go unnoticed (I hope).

Reactions: Kellycares

Petya217

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Once I had a fairly noticeable leak in the office. Thankfully, I could get in the single-stall handicapped toilet and dry my pants using the hand dryer.

MarineJohn

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
My most memorable public catastrophe happened years ago at Costco. My wife and I were at the back of the store looking at some meats to BBQ and I was in denim shorts and tshirt as usual. I felt something hit my leg and thought that's weird. I walked a couple of steps and felt it again, looked down and didn't see anything.
A few steps later I felt something bigger and wet hit the inside of my leg. I look down to see a clump of yellow bulking material drop from the leg of my shorts. I immediately realized what it was and headed for the bathroom. I was wearing an Abena L4 and somehow it developed a tear right at the bottom of my crotch. I called my wide as I had left her without explanation and she brought me a fresh diaper from the truck. After I changed we walked back to finish shopping and a poor employee was following my trail like Hansel and Gretel with a broom and dustpan picking up the trail of yellow material I had left.

Reactions: Seasonedcitizen