Has incontinence ever stopped you from doing something you really wanted to do?

Jim100 said:
You and. Everyone that contributed in working paying taxes helped the armed forces. It takes about 10 people working to support each GI so yes you did help!!! Thank You very much.
God bless you. I know it might sound dumb that is the first time I really looked at it like that.
ballyhooser said:
These days since I’m in my 60s now I am 24/7 in diapers and really don’t care who knows about it. Cloth diapers with plastic pants overnight and quality tape on disposables during the day. Sometimes it’s a minor inconvenience like when traveling. Packing diapers takes up too much room. If I’m single destination traveling I will order diapers sent ahead of time.
I am not in my 60's but I am the same way. I am not showing or telling everyone, but I am not worried if they figure it out either. It can be a task keeping a well stocked bag with you all the time. Tuesday I had to change at the clinic when I took the kid to the doctor. Smelly poop mess. I had a few pullups in my bag but I had to use my last mega max. I mean I have plenty at the house. I just remembered today to take the bag in so I can restock it. But I do keep a few extra in anther bag in the trunk just incase

Reactions: Diprs2, puravidadip and Jim100
I don’t know that I would say that IC has actually caused me not to do something that I wanted to do, but I do have to admit I’ve used it as an excuse for not getting some things done that I should’ve. There’s a number of projects that I should be working on that I have been putting off just because I don’t want my neighbors to see my big diapered butt outside when I’m working on them. This Spring I’ve got to get some thrift store jeans that are big enough to conceal my diapers better than those that I have so that excuse is no longer useable. I’ve finally got the funds and materials necessary to finish this projects so I need to eliminate this excuse and get on with “Gettin er done”.

Reactions: Diprs2
Milianna said:
Yes. Ive missed out.

It makes me bitter at times but what can I do
Don't be bitter, there are so many things to use besides diapers. I use a pull up panty-style like underwear with a maxi pad inside. Uncomfortable at times, but it absorbs the urine and I am not wet in public, like going to the store. Life gives you lemons, make lemonade and enjoy it. Life is too short and precious to be bitter. :)

Reactions: Diprs2 and rbm
Milianna said:
Yes. Ive missed out.

It makes me bitter at times but what can I do
Try not to dwell on what you cant do and find things you can. do instead Most everything can be done in a diaper. The key to living a positive life is to have confidence in the diaper. I don't wear products I don't trust. I use a baggy pant and a stretchable belt to keep them hid. I have never had anyone ask me if I was wearing diapers. If they did I would flip the table and shame them so bad for asking. I did not want or ask for any of this. Incontinence chose me but it will not own me.

Reactions: Diprs2, Napincolove and puravidadip
Flippantly, I’d say wearing Speedos.

However, if you sit back and think about it (Speedos), they are for swimming so, a diaper wouldn’t be needed….the fashion image seared into my retina, yes definitely.

On the serious, any situation where I am in prolonged contact in confined space raises my stress levels, and I fine myself shying away, avoiding. For instance, car ride sharing, small room gatherings, sharing hotel rooms, sitting in close proximity of others.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2 and Diaperman95
daylight said:
Flippantly, I’d say wearing Speedos.

However, if you sit back and think about it (Speedos), they are for swimming so, a diaper wouldn’t be needed….the fashion image seared into my retina, yes definitely.

On the serious, any situation where I am in prolonged contact in confined space raises my stress levels, and I fine myself shying away, avoiding. For instance, car ride sharing, small room gatherings, sharing hotel rooms, sitting in close proximity of others.
I can understand the way you feel. I pretty much say I don't care but in reality I pull my shirt down about every few minutes when bowling. Every time I roll a ball my shirt feels like it comes up so I pull it back down automatic. I bet money I draw more attention than If I just let it be. Thinking about buying some overalls payday.

It is funny how things catch on.

Diaperman95 said:
so I pull it back down automatic. I bet money I draw more attention than If I just let it be.

OMG, I find myself doing the same thing!

Plus, using my hand to smooth over my bottom, reassuring myself the bump/ridge of the diaper is hidden by the drape of my pants or shorts.

Reactions: Diprs2, Diaperman95 and Jim100
I wouldn't say that my issues have really prevented me from doing anything on my own accord as I can manage during the day, or I have no issues with doing things solo and if I'm out and about and need to revisit the bathroom a few times, it's not a big deal. Though, while I've always had my OAB during the day, and fairly consistently predictable nights where I needed to wear, after I was seriously ill the last time they've increased dramatically. Dating. I've been single for a long time, and the last time I was with someone it was before I was sick the last time. Just the thought of it makes me nervous, having to have that conversation someplace along the line

The short answer is yes...and no...

Being IC is no picnic, regardless of how much control you have, and I respect everyone of you for managing it the way you do.
But having needed and worn diapers for nearly 14 years, the hardest part to manage is the stigma. But at least where I'm from in the UK, attitudes are slowly improving. When you're in diapers as a teen or young adult though it can be harder, mind.

Unfortunately, I have other health issues which are more serious, which include but are not limited to, chronic fatigue, severe chronic nerve pain, chronic depression, and neurodivergence. I wouldn't classify the last one as a disability because it doesn't hold me back much. But it sure does complicate things.

And yet, I've managed to have a very active and fulfilling life, where my diapers haven't held me back. And when it has come up, the reaction I get from most people is curiosity, rather than ridicule. In fact I've done quite a few things which a lot of people would struggle to do, even if they didn't need a diaper, such as being suspended 20m (65ft 7in) in the air, sing live songs to audiences of 500 or more.

The only area I really struggle with is relationships, although I put that down to being both chronically sick and neurodivergent, rather than my bladder issues. The bottom line is, I'm not an easy person to be around, as I frequently get depressed and anxious - weekly. I also have really low self-confidence, which I'm trying to work on. It's not easy to trust yourself when your own body keeps giving up on you though.

Breathe Deep, Seek Peace
Dinotopian2002

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2, LordDuque, hoimi and 2 others
Dinotopian2002 said:

Being IC is no picnic, regardless of how much control you have, and I respect everyone of you for managing it the way you do.
But having needed and worn diapers for nearly 14 years, the hardest part to manage is the stigma. But at least where I'm from in the UK, attitudes are slowly improving. When you're in diapers as a teen or young adult though it can be harder, mind.

Unfortunately, I have other health issues which are more serious, which include but are not limited to, chronic fatigue, severe chronic nerve pain, chronic depression, and neurodivergence. I wouldn't classify the last one as a disability because it doesn't hold me back much. But it sure does complicate things.

And yet, I've managed to have a very active and fulfilling life, where my diapers haven't held me back. And when it has come up, the reaction I get from most people is curiosity, rather than ridicule. In fact I've done quite a few things which a lot of people would struggle to do, even if they didn't need a diaper, such as being suspended 20m (65ft 7in) in the air, sing live songs to audiences of 500 or more.

The only area I really struggle with is relationships, although I put that down to being both chronically sick and neurodivergent, rather than my bladder issues. The bottom line is, I'm not an easy person to be around, as I frequently get depressed and anxious - weekly. I also have really low self-confidence, which I'm trying to work on. It's not easy to trust yourself when your own body keeps giving up on you though.

Breathe Deep, Seek Peace
Dinotopian2002
Well said.

As for relationships I got lucky. But she has almost as much health issues as me. At one time she was worse off when she had her cancer. But we both just live day to day. That's all I can find the strength for. Some days I dont have the strength and I stay in bed. But most of the time I make myself get out and do something. I hope you find someone it really does help on the bad days to have someone in your corner. Maybe you can to find someone that needs the same support and going through their own battles.

Incontinence is the lesser part of my health issues. It is awesome you can sing. God did not give me any musical talent but I am very handy with my hands. Not much I can't build or do if I put my mind to it.

Diaperman95 said:
For the most part I don't let it slow me down to much. I mean I did not have a lot of sleep overs as a kid but I worked all the jobs I worked without it slowing me down too bad. I remember My Jr year in high school I was going to sign up for the national guards and do basic over that summer leading into my Sr. year. I was going to do that so they would pay for some schooling. I went as far as filling out papers and everything else. The recruiter asked me If I have issues peeing around others. I said not normally but that I get bad bladder spasms and leak a little but at the time it was the worse at night and I get UTIs a lot for a guy.. Once he realized I used absorbent product and I had a active bleeding ulcer from all the stressofthis shit at 17 yrs of age. he said I don't know if we can make his happen. And that was that. My Military carrier over before it could start.

Then by the time I was 19 I had got a diagnosis for it as interstitial cysts and a neurogenic bladder. my bladder does not empty complete I use to get infections like mad during school years and never knew why. All the teacher was told if I need to go to the restroom not to make me wait until break. So me being smarter than the average bear I would wait tell class is in session real good and then go change when I was in the restroom all alone. The DR had me start self cathing once or twice a day to keep stale urine out. But you can still get a infection from the catheter too so it really is a catch 22. I still have to do it to this day.
I really did want to see what kind of a man the military could make me into. I have nothing but respect for all the young man that went in my place. I have nothing but respect to are military personnel i general. Sorry I was notable to help out.

This is the only and really only time that I let incontinence stop me . What job did you pass on because of your incontinence? Maybe a life guard or a dancer. Some dancers wear very reviling cloths.
You could’ve fought for a medical waiver like I did, there’s many jobs in every branch that do not require combat, like mine my passion is nuclear weapons, so I got a degree and was hired into the military because of it, and this was a way a disabled person could get in, and as an officer too. I think the officer route is technically easier than the enlisted route when it comes to both getting a waiver and opportunities for disabled people. I’m pro disabled people for the military because there’s so many jobs they can do. A waiver does exist and can happen depending on the job you wanted.

Lil4starGeneral said:
You could’ve fought for a medical waiver like I did, there’s many jobs in every branch that do not require combat, like mine my passion is nuclear weapons, so I got a degree and was hired into the military because of it, and this was a way a disabled person could get in, and as an officer too. I think the officer route is technically easier than the enlisted route when it comes to both getting a waiver and opportunities for disabled people. I’m pro disabled people for the military because there’s so many jobs they can do. A waiver does exist and can happen depending on the job you wanted.
Yeah I sure it might of been possible. I is just the 17 year old me was not no where as comfortable wearing diapers around other young people. To be honest it was more the embarrassment and diaper stigma that stopped me. I wish I would of been big enough to put that be hind me and join but I just couldn't at the time. With that said I am not loosing sleep over it because had I joined my life would be very different. I met my wife the summer of senior year and Had I not done that my beautiful baby girl would not have been born.

I am all for any disabled person to be able to work in any field as long as it is not unsafe to them the people around them. They have every right to live a independent life as long as possible. I wish to heck my health would let me hold a real job. SSD is no way to live. Especially with the rise in cost due to this economy.

Not as much as I first thought it would. Mostly hiking and camping and swimming.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Diaperman95
Dinotopian2002 said:

Breathe Deep, Seek Peace
Dinotopian2002
congrats man, I’ve also played live for at least 200-300 people and I agree that most persons would struggle even without diapers nor incontinence worries! And I jumped of a bridge too so we do have some quite similar experiences 😀. Having s that I repeat I’m so happy seeing others face it that way as I believe has to be done. And the only manner to normalize IC, acting as if u had no disease or disability or whateve, and seeing yourself as any other around. my best regards dude

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2 and Dinotopian2002
I’m taking classes to become a counselor and I worry about being able to be employed and/or have a boyfriend. I have OAB as well so I wear diapers to help me get things done without my life revolving around the bathroom.

I have had cerebral palsy all my life but only just recently started developing UI problems and OAB. I am going to try to do remote work and improve self-confidence. I think I might get lucky and meet a guy who is into water sports or doesn’t mind.

As @Diaperman95 said on a different thread, it’s all about perspective. I am taking a class this weekend and instead of going to the bathroom every ten minutes, I’m going to use my diaper as a way to get work done and do what I enjoy. There is a stigma but I’m beginning to realize at the young age of 26 that confidence means a lot more to people than if you lack bladder control.

Reactions: Diprs2, Dinotopian2002, hoimi and 1 other person
LordDuque said:
congrats man, I’ve also played live for at least 200-300 people and I agree that most persons would struggle even without diapers nor incontinence worries! And I jumped of a bridge too so we do have some quite similar experiences 😀. Having s that I repeat I’m so happy seeing others face it that way as I believe has to be done. And the only manner to normalize IC, acting as if u had no disease or disability or whateve, and seeing yourself as any other around. my best regards dude
The stigma is the biggest challenge for all of us. But it is rooted so deep in society. I was watching the resident the other night on TV.. They always make it a point to show case gay and bisexuality as ok and we all need to accept it. But one of the main characters on the show they wrote him into having MS. The other day his character needed to use a cane because of the MS and he was like.... No I am not doing that. He said first its the cane and then next it is Adult diapers and I am not doing that. AS if adult diapers is going to end his life This is why it is rooted so deep into peoples heads. They can make sex changes and trans sexual people out to be a normal part of life and ok for everyone to accept but wearing a diaper is bad. Even if you have MS evidently. I just don't get it it for one minute.

Please No one twist my words or intent. I am not advocating against trans people in anyway. It is just there are far more incontinent people in the world than trans people. That and common since says it effects all walks including trans gender. It just irritates me that a show set on ending one stigma is promoting another. How many TV shows are there that even speak of the subject other than keeping up with the Kardashians? I have never seen it but I know one of them are open about it. But very few celebrities' or shows even talk about something that affects such a large number of us. Even Samuel Jackson has stated that he has to use a absorbent pad on set for many years now. But it was only mentioned by him the one time. We need More people to speak up..

Reactions: Diprs2, bobbilly, LordDuque and 2 others
Absolutely. I agree with you in a 100% and think the same way

I was watching the Cat in the Hat film the other day and it had a negative connotation about bedwetting. This is a children's film and they made run of bedwetting.

Dr. Seuss was known to be non-PC by today's standards.

But neither were the Simpson's. I remember one episode where Ralph's father says it's time for Ralph to wear his plastic pants before going to bed, where he protests "they're too hot!". His father replies "you wear them until you learn, son".

Truth be told, once I became incontinent, I was now actually happy that it was official that I needed to wear diapers 24/7, even in uniform while in the military. It was the first moment I felt there was a benefit in being disabled. Yea it does have inconvenient aspects, but I am so lucky to be turned on by diapers. Instead of feeling miserable over being incontinent, my disability was now forcing me to live my life in diapers.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Dinotopian2002
Back