Got an email. Someone hacked my Microsoft account.

BigAl2

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Is that dangerous? I changed my info to be safe. It was someone from Germany.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: Woncrinklz, Edgewater and BBBen
BigAl1 said:
There are scams that say they hacked your email when they haven't. They rely on fear to get you to do something. Usually pay them Bitcoin.
We can't really tell you if the email is dangerous or not without seeing it.

Reactions: dogboy, Woncrinklz, Edgewater and 4 others
Can you post a screen shot of the email
making sure the sender address shows?
Black out your email / personal info

Last edited:
Reactions: Woncrinklz, Edgewater, BigAl2 and 1 other person
Here is some shots.

1705957058611.png

1705956926383.png

Reactions: Edgewater and BBBen
as you're not in Germany you did the right thing to change PW

if you can setup 2FA for your account

Reactions: Edgewater, ajp22 and BBBen
Ok got the 2FA set up. Thanks for your help. (y)

Reactions: Edgewater and BBBen
There are two possibilities:
- The sign in was you. Do you use Chrome on Windows? Do you use a VPN which might make your IP address appear to be in Germany?
- The sign in wasn't you. Change your passwords (not just your email account, but any other account tied to your email) and put 2FA on all your important accounts (email, banks, etc).

Reactions: BBBen, Woncrinklz, Edgewater and 2 others
I don't have a VPN. I do use Chrome and Firefox as well as edge. Good idea of doing 2FA on my financial accounts too. Thanks Moo. (y)

Reactions: BBBen and Edgewater
BigAl1 said:
get lifelock and norton?

Reactions: BBBen, Edgewater and BigAl2
BigAl1 said:
I don't have a VPN. I do use Chrome and Firefox as well as edge. Good idea of doing 2FA on my financial accounts too. Thanks Moo. (y)
yqw anytime?

Reactions: Edgewater
Yea, like Microsoft would use a Yahoo account to contact you, no way.
Great folks here!!

Edgewater said:
Yea, like Microsoft would use a Yahoo account to contact you, no way.
Great folks here!!
The Yahoo account is OPs
The from is at the bottom of the screen shot

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and Edgewater
I'm sure this stuff happens to everybody regardless of attending forums, although I recently have been receiving hits through my emails, and also once through my phone just days ago. I had a VPN, right after it expired I received the call that was NOT connected to my Internet carrier. They said all was good, no information supporting any breach.
Is this just an onslaught, coincidence, or they happen continuously regardless of when they hit?
WIN_20231117_13_39_47_Pro.jpgHere's one I got a while ago, andWIN_20240113_04_17_55_Scan.jpg I DON'T use "PayPal"
and another random oddity I never used up there. They are unknowns.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBBen and BigAl2
I had a weird one with paypal one time. Someone used my account to buy something at a store. They also apparently sold something before the purchase. And money went into my account to cover their purchase. I reported it via telephone. They got the person.

Reactions: BBBen and Woncrinklz
BigAl1 said:
I had a weird one with paypal one time. Someone used my account to buy something at a store. They also apparently sold something before the purchase. And money went into my account to cover their purchase. I reported it via telephone. They got the person.
That's scary.
I suppose they are scams. I always call my bank and also send the emails to them. They block my cards and send me new ones immediately. They are a great bank.

Reactions: BigAl2
Moo said:
There are scams that say they hacked your email when they haven't. They rely on fear to get you to do something.
We can't really tell you if the email is dangerous or not without seeing it.
This, usally they ask for bitcoin, to not revale what they saw. it a scame and more then like did not hack in, but it does not hurt to change your info and passwords.

The fact that they said they "would help you" is about a dozen red flags. I'm guessing they'll help themselves to digging information you don't want them to have.

You pretty much need 2FA / MFA on everything these days.

If you use that password anywhere else without it, might want to go set it up.

Last edited:
I got my email hacked a long time ago it was something about improving yourself, and I know it's fake because I don't subscribe to anyone like that it happened at a after highschool special ed program and it sent itself out to my friends and my professional friends. I was so mad that it did that. I deleted that email and went for gmail I haven't had any problems.

Back