Going from "NO DIAPER" to "Yes, diaper"

PurpleScorpion

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
  2. Other
A lot of toddlers go through a phase where they hate getting their diaper changed. They squirm, wriggle, run away from Mommy/Daddy, kick, twist, cry, scream, and all that.

There's also the semi-normal potty training phase of rejecting the potty, saying "NO" to it, and all that.

What I'm curious about is if the latter phase causes the first phase to end, as they realize they actually don't mind their diapers, or if toddlers hold those two ideals together in a weird DoubleThink situation.

Most toddlers dont like changes to their routine. Potty training is a big change to their routine. They why most fight potty training. They have been in diapers all their lives. Its normal for them

PurpleScorpion said:
A lot of toddlers go through a phase where they hate getting their diaper changed. They squirm, wriggle, run away from Mommy/Daddy, kick, twist, cry, scream, and all that.

There's also the semi-normal potty training phase of rejecting the potty, saying "NO" to it, and all that.

What I'm curious about is if the latter phase causes the first phase to end, as they realize they actually don't mind their diapers, or if toddlers hold those two ideals together in a weird DoubleThink situation.
I think, looking at it objectively, it's a YMMV situation as everyone's experience with it will differ in some form or another.

Speaking from my own experience, I was quite eager to be potty trained when I was around that age.

It was only after I was potty trained, that I wanted to start wearing diapers again.

PurpleScorpion said:

You are thinking about this way too logically. ;) Small children aren't so logical.

Reactions: CookieMonstah
So for me what I remember is basically this.

I liked diapers, even back then. I liked wearing diapers. Potty training was kind of a neat new thing and I was happy to try out underwear, but I never had a dislike of actually wearing diapers. I didn't really understand that I'd actually miss them until after I was potty trained and kinda realized "Oh, this is the difference between wearing a diaper and not wearing a diaper. And now I don't get diapers anymore."

I thought that I wasn't supposed to, that I was supposed to be a "big kid" who hates diapers and wants to wear underwear and only use the potty. I considered that the mentality I was expected to have. So I played along and pretended to not want to wear diapers. It was nothing more than an act, and I hated diapers as much as an actor who plays a supervillain actually wants to destroy the world. Probably the earliest definitive memory I have of my thoughts towards diapers at a young age was shortly after I was potty trained, my mom asked if I preferred wearing underwear or wanted to go back to pull-ups. I remember thinking through it, realizing that, I preferred pull-ups, I did the underwear thing and found it wasn't really all that exciting. But she'd spent so much time trying to potty train me and making a big deal of how much bigger I'd feel being out of diapers/pull-ups that I felt like I was supposed to answer underwear, so I did. Was this a serious question that would have landed me back in pull-ups if I'd answered truthfully? I don't know. I still wish I could go back and change my answer to find out what would have happened. But it's one of my clearest early childhood memories in general, and tells me a lot about my feelings towards diapers at that mage.

A lot of my childhood I just learned what I thought I was supposed to be and how I was supposed to act, and did that in the misguided assumption that maybe it'd give me more freedom earlier. My parents weren't even that strict or anything, I just did this to myself, playing the role I felt I was supposed to even if it meant sacrificing my own happiness because I assumed it'd lead to the life I wanted in the end.

Reactions: WillFord384 and Lightstreak2553
PurpleScorpion said:
The thing is that "toddler logic" is not the same as "grown-up logic". Toddlers get to doublethink, triplethink, and even quadruplethink and everything will still make perfect sense to them.

Rakvirsza said:
I just did this to myself, playing the role I felt I was supposed to even if it meant sacrificing my own happiness because I assumed it'd lead to the life I wanted in the end.
The roots of all my regrets, as well. I lived for the daily praises of becoming a "big kid" and being "really mature for my age", which were a good thing but just not enough to make me forget how much I was sacrificing. However I also learned that even though those praises were the most I was ever going to get, they were still preferable over the severe scoldings I got after not acting "accordingly".

Reactions: Rakvirsza and Angelapinks
Toddlers aren't logical, they often want something and then don't like it

Back