Foodie Group- Canning

egor said:
I found two apple butter recipes and both had two spices but not the same two.
Mmmmm, apple butter :)

I'm shredding zucchinis as they come in, then vacuum sealing and storing in the freezer until the growing season ends in a few weeks, at which point I'll make it all into zucchini relish ;)

Our church used to make lots of apple butter and sell the jars as a fundraiser. They used a huge and expensive copper kettle to cook the apples.

Canned 28 pints of Tomato base today. The only thing I have left to do for the year is corn relish. Just waiting for corn prices to get into a reality range of less then 30 cents an ear.

Last time I looked even the local farms have corn at $1 an ear.

egor said:
Last time I looked even the local farms have corn at $1 an ear
I saw those prices earlier this year at a very popular market. Went a few miles down the road to a simple road-side stand and got them for 25 cents 😉

Around here (western NY), the "farmers markets" are really just resellers of produce bought at auction. None of them grow anything they're selling. It's impossible to believe anyone in NY has zucchinis in mid June lol. The little roadside carts and humble stands are always a good bet though!

Canning jalapeno slices today.

Did the last batch of Garden canning yesterday.

The only thing left is corn relish, Apple Sauce (depending on what the neighbors tree does), chili powder, and pumpkin puree.

Reactions: dogboy
What do you do with pumpkin puree?

I puree the sugar pie pumpkin meat in the fall and make pumpkin pies or pumpkin pancakes/waffles.

egor said:
I puree the sugar pie pumpkin meat in the fall and make pumpkin pies or pumpkin pancakes/waffles.
I thought maybe it was for pumpkin pies. My mother-in-law made the best pumpkin pies. It was a recipe from the Great Depression and it didn't use any eggs because when money was tight, eggs were an entire meal. I hope your pies turn out great like our's did. Since she and my wife have passed, it's one of the things that I miss and that make holidays hard. Still, life goes on.

dogboy said:
I thought maybe it was for pumpkin pies. My mother-in-law made the best pumpkin pies. It was a recipe from the Great Depression and it didn't use any eggs because when money was tight, eggs were an entire meal. I hope your pies turn out great like our's did. Since she and my wife have passed, it's one of the things that I miss and that make holidays hard. Still, life goes on.
I have my mothers pumpkin pie recipe that I use. It is in the Foodie group thread.

Back