Foodie Group- Canning

Sounds good. It was a long time ago when I had homemade jelly or jam.

It has been a busy few days.

I picked and canned the first batch of Tomato Base. This included retraining the tomato vines and picking the last of the onions. I pretty much have given up on the peppers. The plants got over taken by weeds and just did not thrive this year.

I picked the last of the grapes and made Concord grape jam and dried the larger ones for raisins. This part was easy the grapes I picked were close to the cross bar of the trellis. The ones I picked for the wine maker were down in the part where the trellis collapsed so I had to get on my hands and knees and lift the vines up with my back until they where up on my shoulders then pick the clusters as fast as I could. Needless to say by the end of the hour of doing that my back and un-replaced knee were hurting like hell.

So bottom line is the jam is done for the year. Just waiting for the beans to come in and as the tomatoes ripen I will make my 72 jars of tomato base.

Reactions: dogboy
We had 73 quarts of cold pack tomatoes. 27 pints of sauce. Our peppers are still putting out and going good. Beans are starting to sharpen up. Bushes look full. Walnut, hickory nut and, paw paw are looking good.

Well I put the last batch of Tomato Base on the shelf today.

I have some extra bottle of this so tomorrow I will start a batch of my "Kansas City style" Honey bar b q sauce.
The only other thing I am planning to work on is Dehydrating Granny Smith strings/Slices. Whether I make apple sauce or Apple butter will entirely depend on price and time.

Reactions: DylanLewis and dogboy
The canning season has officially ended 11-06-2022.

The last batch of apple strings are out of the dehydrator, into jars and on the shelf.

I had extra apples so I made apple butter.

Now the fun part of deep cleaning the kitchen and putting all of the canning supplies/Equipment away for the season has started.

It was a good year, but not a great year.

Looking forward to eating yummies during the winter and starting over again next mayish.

Reactions: DylanLewis
Where you store your canned goods, is there that wonderful smell of apples or other smells from canned fruits? When I was little, my parents bought a house where the previous owner must have canned and it had that wonderful smell. I had a keen sense of smell when I was a kid.

Well 2023 Canning season has begun.

Up until 12am last night doing Strawberry and Strawberry/Rhubarb Jam.

It will be a good canning season because I got my annual cooking badge of a hot jam splash burn on my stirring hand pinky.

Biggest issue was finding the canning pectin that I used. Back in May when I was doing the monthly shopping I saw the pectin at the usual price and decided to wait until next month. Then when I was doing the June shopping not a box to be found. Last weekend I looked in the usual spots and no pectin. I finally went to the last place to look for things and sure enough there was only 15 boxes of pectin so I bought them all. I should add the placed I looked had pectin that requires a lot of sugar to fruit, but not the "healthier" type. That is why I grabbed all of them and still do not have enough for the whole season. Just like canning lids two years ago. Oh ya, funny thing the price is 25% higher, go figure!!!!!!!

This weekend we are going to pick some raspberries at my folks place and make raspberries jam out of them !!!

I'm in a canning craze. Raspberry and Sweet Dark cherries are done

There is the supply of Blueberry ready to can and after that I will see if there is any Rainer and Bing Cherries for sale and start looking for the early cane berries.

Reactions: PaddedRita, chickpea and dogboy
Blueberries are just starting to ripen for us. Strawberries are gone. corn is almost ripe.

Just finished canning the Rainer Cherries and did the Bing cherries yesterday.

Going to clean the kitchen AGAIN and then see about getting Marian berries and Boysenberries Wednesday.

We did end up making 16 - 18oz jars of raspberries jam !!

Reactions: diaperdude and egor
Threads like this make me really sad about having a tiny yard and like no growing space. and my mom has all these stupid bushes that she wont let me rip up and replace with blueberry/raspberry. sigh.

F*ck hostas.

• Wow
Reactions: PaddedRita
The deer eat my hostas and I'm guessing, then they f*ck 'cause you know....they're deer.

Wal Mart s in the DC Baltimore area have had a real good supply of almost all we have neede for canning so far

Well. I have been busy canning pickles this week.

I finally finished the 4 day crock sweet pickles last night. That went "smoothly".

I wish I could say the same about the "Bread and Butter Pickles"

I will hold off on posting the picture but needless to say I have the Pickle badge of "Stupidity". I was telling myself to go get the safety guard, but no I was going to be careful and my hand jerked/slipped and down went my hand onto the mandolin and took a 1/4 inch slice into my right pinky about 2/3 of the way through. 5 stitches later, and surprisingly only 4 hours in the ER, I was 18 hours later to finish the bread , butter, blood, sweat and tears pickles.

• Wow
I can feel that just from your description!
You have my sympathy, we've all done stuff and wish we could go back in time to prevent it

I hope your finger heals quickly. If I get a finger cut, it hurts when I play piano and organ. Finger pain can be really annoying.

dogboy said:
I hope your finger heals quickly. If I get a finger cut, it hurts when I play piano and organ. Finger pain can be really annoying.
It is amazing how many times a day one bumps or jams the pinky and do not realize it, until there is stitches.

I have not been on ADISC for a few days because of canning.

Pickled beans, elderberry jam, dried red Anjou pears, and apple butter.

The elderberries are from the one Neighbors. This winter we are going to move the bush over into my yard.

The pears and apples come from a different neighbor. They kept calling them apple pears. when they brought a bag of the pears over while I was de- stemming and flowers elderberries. I realized that they where red anjou pears. They dry nicely in two days. Then I took my garden wagon down the other morning and picked up as many non rotten apples as I could .

I have seen so many combinations in grafted trees and I am not impressed. This tree is no exception. It is a 4 in one tree. The red delicious are few, the Winesap are plentiful but full of apple maggots, the third is a crab apple, luckily there is not a lot of them. Then the fourth on was large and red, but covered in a yeast that made them look Purple. It was not until I cut them open that I realize they are Rome apples. I have not seen them in years. They are a juicing apple but because of the red pigment in the flesh they turn everything pink.

So anyway when I got them fully-food milled I had two gallons of a watery pink apple sauce. My wife is one that if it does not look like brand type then its not edible. So as soon as she made her "what is that" comment I decided to make apple butter.

I found two apple butter recipes and both had two spices but not the same two. So I just went with what I put in apple pie ( The four spices in the recipes) and started it in two crock pots.

I usually use Granny smith apples and it takes about 16 hours to reduce the sauce down to apple butter. With this 4 in 1 blend, it took 48 hours.

I slowly added part of smaller crock pot to the larger one during the first day. The rest of the time was getting the larger crock pot reduced down to a firm yet spreadable sauce. The Rome is what made it watery and the crab apple made it tart. The final product is a dark brown sauce/paste with a hint of Cinnamon, nutmeg, the clove and ginger is not very strong. The big taste is the tartness yet in the background taste of the crab apple.

Back