First-time adult bedwetting

Status
Not open for further replies.

serafina

Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Hello there,

I am a 40-year-old female. I woke up this morning having completely soaked the couch. I slept with a hot water bottle last night and thought that maybe it could have leaked in the night, but that doesn't appear to be the case. It's really weird that I didn't wake up or notice at all because I was totally soaked all the way up my back, as well.

Some background: I've been waiting to get a cystoscopy since Fall 2020. That will finally happen in December 2021. I've never had an overt problem with incontinence (maybe the very slightest dribbling but not really). Last year I had a lot of urinary frequency. And, when we did a post-void residual test (ultrasound) they said I had urinary retention. The second test showed less residual but it was still there. It does seem that not all the urine comes out at once when I try to void. Not sure if this is my normal or what.

In any case, I've never wet the bed before, until last night. I wonder if it's possible that this is simply a fluke or the start of something new? I know it's silly but I'm worried and embarrassed, even though I know there's no reason to be embarrassed about this at all.

Do others have stories about the first time this happened for them? Is it possible this is just a fluke? Any advice or feedback about this would be appreciated.

• Wow
Reactions: EcoIncon, Angelapinks and Tinytoes
serafina said:
Hello there,

I am a 40-year-old female. I woke up this morning having completely soaked the couch. I slept with a hot water bottle last night and thought that maybe it could have leaked in the night, but that doesn't appear to be the case. It's really weird that I didn't wake up or notice at all because I was totally soaked all the way up my back, as well.

Some background: I've been waiting to get a cystoscopy since Fall 2020. That will finally happen in December 2021. I've never had an overt problem with incontinence (maybe the very slightest dribbling but not really). Last year I had a lot of urinary frequency. And, when we did a post-void residual test (ultrasound) they said I had urinary retention. The second test showed less residual but it was still there. It does seem that not all the urine comes out at once when I try to void. Not sure if this is my normal or what.

In any case, I've never wet the bed before, until last night. I wonder if it's possible that this is simply a fluke or the start of something new? I know it's silly but I'm worried and embarrassed, even though I know there's no reason to be embarrassed about this at all.

Do others have stories about the first time this happened for them? Is it possible this is just a fluke? Any advice or feedback about this would be appreciated.
When things like this happen your family Dr. Is really the one you should be turning too. Especially if you already have a an underlying condition. Wish you all the best, hope you get answers soon.

Reactions: EcoIncon
Thank you. They’re not open until Monday but I plan on that.

Reactions: EcoIncon
serafina said:
Thank you. They’re not open until Monday but I plan on that.
You are welcome, I will be thinking of you keep up posted with news.

serafina said:
Hello there,

My symptoms were the same as yours for awhile and after many tests the results were the same also as well as enlarged prostate. Medication helped for awhile but over the last few years it has gotten worse until I was wetting the bed after falling into a deep sleep each night. My urologist said there was another pill that might help but I am already taking many pills for other problems and it was like a 50/50 chance the the new meds would work. After a few accidents I started wearing a night diaper and rubber pants and found that I now get a great nights sleep but wake up with a soaking wet diaper. I told this to my urologist and he said it may be the best solution for me to avoid wet pants and a wet bed.

serafina said:
Hello there,

@serafina , I am so sorry you are experiencing this. Keep in mind that not many (if any) of the people on this board are qualified to give medical advice (and I am certainly not qualified to do so). Although most of us on this board experience incontinence for a host of reasons, incontinence is never "normal". Most causes are benign yet some are not and some are more treatable the earlier they are diagnosed. With mine, it was extremely important for my health to understand exactly what was going on. I found myself hospitalized with sepsis because I did not know how to treat myself. Now that I at least know what is going on (not many good fixes for it), I at least know how to treat myself.

Retention in males is 13 times more frequent than women and many of the causes in females benefit from prompt treatment. I am not trying to alarm you. However, I believe during this pandemic that it is extremely important that we advocate for our healthcare. It is too easy to get pushed aside for things that are more "urgent". Waiting over a year for a cystoscopy is not reasonable. I was able to get one within less than a month. I hope that when you see our provider, you push hard for some immediate answers.

For me, my first time was long ago. I started just leaking during the day. All of a sudden, I'd have an intense urge to pee and nothing I could do would stop the flow. It was humiliating. I was too proud and stupid to see a doctor. I hid it, I didn't talk about, I started putting baby diapers in my underwear because I could buy baby diapers without people wondering why. Then I started wearing bladder pads I'd buy online. Later, I started wearing adult diapers. Finally after I was hospitalized for sepsis, wetting every day and most nights I got the courage to talk to a doctor about it. Incredibly stupid of me to wait so long. I had an impingement on my nerves that had gotten worse over time. If treated years earlier, I'd have probably fully recovered my bladder function. As it is, I will be in diapers the rest of my life.

You are absolutely correct that you should be neither worried nor embarrassed. It is estimated that as much as 1/3 of the population at our age (I am also in my 40s) has occasional incontinence. Most causes are imminently treatable and almost all are manageable. I'll hope to see a post from you soon announcing that you've gotten to the bottom of this and have a treatment plan. Please don't take "no" or "in a couple months" for an answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pino and DamianTheAngel
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back