Fascination with safety and adult car seat?

soccer1986 said:
Hi, well I am not a little I am a sissy that would love to have a little to take care of someday. With that in mind I would really be interested in the safety equipment that we use for babies to make sure that my little will be happy and safe. As a mechanical engineer I would be very interested in developing different safety objects for adult babies. I thinkle I am going to work on a design for a car seat to fit adult babies of different sizes and also see how the car seats are designed. I would ask others here other than the five point harness what other aspects of the seats would you like integrated. I might go ahead and also work on a buster seat to fit different chairs with safety straps.
well, I guess my fisrt thing would be maybe look into the legal code/rules on devices for cars, testing and such.

Not that you will (At least at this point) be able to pay for the testing in a crash test or anything, but i'd be you should be able to find/make a smulation as to "testing" towards that end before any actual physical design. electrons are cheap.

But, i think that additional support (uses the car seat belts) systems are much easier to get some sort of certification and making them OK for most insurance and DMV situations. Like the additional harnesses and even the booster seats are in this realm of needing/requiring the seat belt that the car came with.

Now, if you go for a full seat, going to have to look at additional tie points to be added into the car as the LATCH and Tether mounts have a weight limit that is too low for most adults.

Now, in IMHO the best option would be a rather thin full booster seat (seat bottom, back and sides). Thin to not add too much height to hit head on ceiling. Full bolster on the sides (bottom and sides) and head nd neck support.

Think like the Carrot booster seat, scaled up.

Prob need at least 2or3 sizes, say 100-175lbs and 175-250lbs and maybe 250+

Would also look at something like putting the release button in a location the user cant get to at all, or something like a smal hole to open it to keep your little in the seat, and using a shield type of setup i think would be easier as only on buckle to deal with, and can have a cover/pad go over it as wanted for wider crotch.
Something like the button to release being recessed under the seat bottom enough to keep anyone from opening it from inside would be the easy. and maybe an exension on it for use normally if needed. (say option kit)
This would also allow it to be used for like a highchair or seat in the home as wanted, and would add some BdSM people into the mix for sales as well.

So, if you can get a product that is DMV certified, and then really promote the safety aspect for anyone where the seatbelt doesnt fit perfect then might get a product going and keep the costs down in MFG.

I see that there is a lot of AB that would LOVE it, and also a lot of Disabled would use it, and addind anyone small or safety minede, would be a lot of potential customers.

I see that depending on the price (say under 3-400 USD) would be a good price point, as it is a long term usable product. The options available are near or much more money, and in the larger sizes dont exist at all. Not to mention paying 100+ for a cheap car seat or even multi hundred for better ones makes it seem/be not that much more considering the size.

If you can get it to be not seen as a baby product, that would be getting you the most available customers, but having some slightly or even childish covers would be awesome.

as for options:
I see having multiple covers, thin/cheap, soft/padded, luxury/memory foam. in a few colors/patterns. Maybe even have the pattern available for like ETSY sellers to make custom ones. So could have like 3-4 colors, and then have some sellers for custom covers.
Then extra padded covers for straps and shield and the head.

I know there is a lot more you can do, but that is MORE than enough to start.

Fusion10 said:
I'll keep an eye out. Are you from the northeast by any chance? I wish I could find someone or some way to be able to see one in person to know what the fit is like before I try to buy one 😄
I see a Roosevelt right now in Texas for $250.00 or best offer

Reactions: Fusion10
gterriley said:
The strict parents pipeline lol 😂 what kind of seat did you ride in?
Also, yes. Love my life jacket. I fully prefer the feel of the crotch strap, the most annoying part of a life jacket is when it rides up on you and that completely eliminates that issue. I’ve had some of my friends wear mine and initially laugh when buckling in but then be like “this just makes sense why doesn’t every one have this”
I love the crotch straps on the kid life jackets. I think all life-jackets should have them, for safety! I think I recall that the ocean ones they have in your cabin on cruise ships all have them anyway.

Reactions: Lolalj
adam said:
I see a Roosevelt right now in Texas for $250.00 or best offer
I saw that one but it says local pick up only ☹️

adam said:
I love the crotch straps on the kid life jackets. I think all life-jackets should have them, for safety! I think I recall that the ocean ones they have in your cabin on cruise ships all have them anyway.
There are quite a few with crotch straps, whitewater vests, rescue vests, and most any vest rated for impact. Quite a few i've seen dont even say they have crotch straps.

just search amazon for life jacket adult crotch straps...will get you a few there.

used to have a crewsaver sprial 100n, not sure where it is anymore, has a large head pillow and also crotch straps.
I have a safegard 240 i use as it's longer and the head thing on the sprial bugged me a bit, but it has the crotch straps.
I like the safegurd, but its discontinued now, it's close to the NRS big river lifejacket.
I have a long torso, and my body is pretty much strait, from hips to chest all is within 1" in size, so TBH any life jacket always rode up, when i used to still go in the water i'd use the safegurd one all the time, from kayak etc...I live about a mile from a scenic waterway so going on the river was always close at hand, and family cabin on a lake.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lolalj
soccer1986 said:
Hi, well I am not a little I am a sissy that would love to have a little to take care of someday. With that in mind I would really be interested in the safety equipment that we use for babies to make sure that my little will be happy and safe. As a mechanical engineer I would be very interested in developing different safety objects for adult babies. I think I am going to work on a design for a car seat to fit adult babies of different sizes and also see how the car seats are designed. I would ask others here other than the five point harness what other aspects of the seats would you like integrated. I might go ahead and also work on a buster seat to fit different chairs with safety straps.
Obviously the primary thing would be making them safe for the road and approved to be used. I don’t know the legalities behind doing that but that’s a legal mess if someone tries to use it and gets hurt.
As for the design, the 5 point harness is a must. If you’re serious enough about pursuing this you might even be able to pitch the product for individuals with back problems. I sell medical braces for post-spinal surgery for my job and I know one thing a lot of people seem to have discomfort with after surgery is sitting in a car for a prolonged period of time. I’m not sure the intrinsics but I imagine being harnessed in a soft comfy seat would offer greater support and could help with pain management. The seat would need to be made with a comfy material and molded to keep you in snug and secure. An optional feature more catered toward abdl could be lockable buckles to keep whoever is in the seat from escaping their harness. And maybe some kind of padding on the straps so they can be made extra tight and not be uncomfortable. That’s all I can think of, keep us updated!

Reactions: bbxeno
Fusion10 said:
I'll keep an eye out. Are you from the northeast by any chance? I wish I could find someone or some way to be able to see one in person to know what the fit is like before I try to buy one 😄
Yes, I’m in PA

gterriley said:
Yes, I’m in PA
Oh no way! That's awesome. I'm over in RI myself. Unfortunately I'm not seeing any seats in the area online for sale at the moment tho.

Reactions: gterriley
Fusion10 said:
Oh no way! That's awesome. I'm over in RI myself. Unfortunately I'm not seeing any seats in the area online for sale at the moment tho.
Fusion10 said:
Keep checking sporadically, my guess is that they come and go quickly. I found this on eBay as well but it’s a little pricey https://www.ebay.com/itm/1858680382...QfJfK2iFxADJ06VqYx90QAhQ==|tkp:Bk9SR6KEs_CjYw

Last edited:
Should have a list of people willing to show/demo seats in areas. Nothing specific.

But like state/area or city, and type of seat.

Like:
Minneapolis area, EZ-On maxpv.

I'm sure you could meet at a resturaunt or mall for 10 mins without too much an issue, no personal information of course.
Perhaps help out some people from making a mistake on a wrong size or wasting money on thigns that just wont work.

gterriley said:
Obviously the primary thing would be making them safe for the road and approved to be used. I don’t know the legalities behind doing that but that’s a legal mess if someone tries to use it and gets hurt.
As for the design, the 5 point harness is a must. If you’re serious enough about pursuing this you might even be able to pitch the product for individuals with back problems. I sell medical braces for post-spinal surgery for my job and I know one thing a lot of people seem to have discomfort with after surgery is sitting in a car for a prolonged period of time. I’m not sure the intrinsics but I imagine being harnessed in a soft comfy seat would offer greater support and could help with pain management. The seat would need to be made with a comfy material and molded to keep you in snug and secure. An optional feature more catered toward abdl could be lockable buckles to keep whoever is in the seat from escaping their harness. And maybe some kind of padding on the straps so they can be made extra tight and not be uncomfortable. That’s all I can think of, keep us updated!
Yes, I have multiple bad verterbra from accident and deneration going on, and even with back brace on, it's not easy to stay sitting up in the car, and a quick stop or swerve is not good, now i;ve had a harness for like 3 weeks and makes a HUGE differance, last travel to surgery used my van not the medi-van(with wheelchair) and back was fine, not great from being in the chair for the oral surgery, but the ride was good, and TBH the rade back home would have been nearly impossible without it, being just out of the hospital and waking up still, was sorta out of it for awhile.

But yes, if approved i think that would be a great thing for a lot of people.
Might even be able to do a rental service for this, like 6 months whilst back heals from surgery.
Perhaps if you talk to a dr you know in the field, see what thier thoughts would be, that is if you have someone that you have that kind of relationship with. I'm sure they would be able to shed some light on things.

Might be a viable product...and i think by looking ot things going with something that uses existing seatbelt in addition is WAY easier to get some approvals.

Fusion10 said:
Oh ya, i was looking at that but it is a bit pricey... How do you like your seat thus far?
It’s great! It’s very comfy and feels extremely safe

Bigbabybret said:
Yes, I have multiple bad verterbra from accident and deneration going on, and even with back brace on, it's not easy to stay sitting up in the car, and a quick stop or swerve is not good, now i;ve had a harness for like 3 weeks and makes a HUGE differance, last travel to surgery used my van not the medi-van(with wheelchair) and back was fine, not great from being in the chair for the oral surgery, but the ride was good, and TBH the rade back home would have been nearly impossible without it, being just out of the hospital and waking up still, was sorta out of it for awhile.

But yes, if approved i think that would be a great thing for a lot of people.
Might even be able to do a rental service for this, like 6 months whilst back heals from surgery.
Perhaps if you talk to a dr you know in the field, see what thier thoughts would be, that is if you have someone that you have that kind of relationship with. I'm sure they would be able to shed some light on things.

Might be a viable product...and i think by looking ot things going with something that uses existing seatbelt in addition is WAY easier to get some approvals.
Yes! I imagine most adults probably wouldn’t be keen on the idea of being in a car seat but if it became normalized for post surgery situations it could definitely help a lot of people. The rental idea is genius. I also feel like it would be potentially appealing to people who have car anxiety?

gterriley said:
Yes! I imagine most adults probably wouldn’t be keen on the idea of being in a car seat but if it became normalized for post surgery situations it could definitely help a lot of people. The rental idea is genius. I also feel like it would be potentially appealing to people who have car anxiety?
I see a few key area where it would be good and doable to get into.
1- Special needs
2- Medical
3- People with the anxiety
4- Smaller people

Yeah having them to rent would be a difficult process, but i think that is also doable and would be good for people post surgery.

Best would be people using them to not get hurt as much in an accident in the first place would be best, but that will take a change in the public perception, so if it can be marketed to say first off families (kids under 16) then working them into using them even after driving age, it would be real hard to change the mind of a 65yo to start riding in a car seat, hard enough to get wearing seat belts at all and that is a law, a car seat would be a tough sell. But if you can start with the kids and just jump up to a bigger seat after the 90lbs or so, and then keep going to adult that might just work, as if a lot of people in your age group are using them then its easier.

Drum roll....
I found the answer. Adult car seats that don't look like they are for "special needs" and can fit anyone.
All you have to do is not mind riding in the back of a pickup truck. LOL
Featured on "Top 30 worst Shark Tank pitches of all time"
The product was real, but my post is just to make fun of it.
They are out of business now.

Attachments

• bedryder.jpg
    bedryder.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: gterriley and dogboy
And there's nothing as safe as riding in the back of a pickup truck...haha.

adam said:
Drum roll....
I found the answer. Adult car seats that don't look like they are for "special needs" and can fit anyone.

May as well be riding in a convertible with no roll bar - - -

This unless these seats were meant for replacing a bench seat in the 2nd row of a crew cab pick-em-up truck

babylock1 said:
May as well be riding in a convertible with no roll bar - - -

This unless these seats were meant for replacing a bench seat in the 2nd row of a crew cab pick-em-up truck
No, they were seriously pitched for pickup truck beds. Years ago there was an SUV called the Subaru Brat. It has 2 seats in the bed like this. I think It was to get by some requirement for a "car" to have 4 seats or something like that. I barely remember. The vehicle was not on the market long.

Attachments

• Subaru_Brat,_rear_left_(Arizona).jpg
    Subaru_Brat,_rear_left_(Arizona).jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 4
adam said:
Drum roll....

Lol, I can see why this never took off, they never even tested it in a crash 😂

Back