Fascination with safety and adult car seat?

gterriley

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
Hello everyone. I posted this on the introduction forum but was told I’d get better responses here, so here I am :) I was reluctant to make an account on here because I don’t think what would typically qualify as an AB, I’m not into diapers or acting like a baby (no disrespect to anyone who does these things!) but I’ve developed a fascination at this point of my life and I don’t know what to make of it.

I’m 26 F and for most of my life grew up in a VERY protective family (I had to ride in a car seat using a harness until I was 11, had helicopter parents, curfews etc). When I was young I hated this, and I wanted to be less “safeguarded”. Recently, as I’ve gotten older I’ve noticed it’s become the complete opposite, I love everything that’s “safe”.

For example, most people don’t like wearing life jackets. I got a jetski last year and I love wearing my life jacket. I got a really nice one with a little collar on it and a strap that goes between my legs and I feel so secure in it when I’m in the water floating around. I always sleep with a weighted blanket because it’s comforting to me. It’s not necessarily a “safe thing” but I got a fleece onesie from onepiece for my birthday and it’s the coziest thing in the world, I wear it whenever I’m bumming it around the house on Sunday. It’s funny but the one thing I want the most right now is to ride in a car seat again. A few years ago while I was in college I was at a friend’s house getting ready to go out and the friend’s mom drove us to the bar. They babysit a kid with special needs and her mom forgot to take the car seat out of the car so one of my friends hopped in it as a joke and rode to the bar strapped in. We were all laughing at the time but it looked so cute and safe! Ever since then I’ve wanted to feel what it’s like to ride in a car seat again because there are special needs car seats that are in my height and weight range that I can legally ride in. I’m too embarrassed to tell anybody I know about this and want to know if anyone else has developed a gravitation toward safety like this.

• Love
Reactions: babyscotty37, CaZzaaaa, denimchicken and 21 others
Hi! I have something sort of similar. I have a very nostaglic and comforting safe sort of feeling towards a lot of safety tools that were used in OT, PT and various therapies in school. It’s a feeling where, sometimes I’ll look on catalogues online of supplies geared towards those sensory therapies, like the weighted vests they used for me, or the air filled plastic chair cushions with ridges and bumps on it. I was in a safety car seat, as well as my older brother, well into being 12 and him even into his teenage years, as he was also special needs.

Would you describe your feelings as nostalgic for you? That you feel a sort of, back to basics comforting simplicity?

Reactions: PiporApomme, longallsboy and gterriley
floppyfoppsie said:
Hi! I have something sort of similar. I have a very nostaglic and comforting safe sort of feeling towards a lot of safety tools that were used in OT, PT and various therapies in school. It’s a feeling where, sometimes I’ll look on catalogues online of supplies geared towards those sensory therapies, like the weighted vests they used for me, or the air filled plastic chair cushions with ridges and bumps on it. I was in a safety car seat, as well as my older brother, well into being 12 and him even into his teenage years, as he was also special needs.

Would you describe your feelings as nostalgic for you? That you feel a sort of, back to basics comforting simplicity?
That’s a really good way to describe it! I think some of it stems from nostalgia. I mean, I had a wild phase for a few years where I threw caution to the wind with a lot of things. And now, grown up, life moves so fast and I guess as my brain developed I really crave situations where I’m safe cozy and secure.

Also, I’m glad to hear I wasn’t the only kid who was in a car seat in middle school lol. Although I didn’t have any special requirements my parents were just safety crazy.

Reactions: Lostdiapersboy, longallsboy and floppyfoppsie
gterriley said:
That’s a really good way to describe it! I think some of it stems from nostalgia. I mean, I had a wild phase for a few years where I threw caution to the wind with a lot of things. And now, grown up, life moves so fast and I guess as my brain developed I really crave situations where I’m safe cozy and secure.

Also, I’m glad to hear I wasn’t the only kid who was in a car seat in middle school lol. Although I didn’t have any special requirements my parents were just safety crazy.
It’s actually kinda nice to hear someone else had been in one to be honest with you!
Even if it was for different reasons than myself and my brother.
Sometimes we seek comforts / sensory experiences that are soothing because they remind us of a more simpler time. I am sure others here feel similar feelings to you! This forum is for all sorts of people, and I hope that you can find more like minded people and support for your experiences.

Reactions: Lolalj and gterriley
I also am obsessed with carseats and other juvenile safety restraints! You are totally not alone in this.

Here are some things that help me get the sense of safety and comfort that carseats provide:

1. Back-zipper clothing. It doesn’t have to be AB specific, even a regular back-zip romper gives me that silly feeling of being taken care of.

2. Any one-piece clothes, like unitards, leotards, or one-piece swimsuits. The combination of tightness and “torso coverage” gives me the same feeling.

3. Wearing overalls and having a friend sometimes tug on the straps to “lead” me around.

Best of all, I actually modified a real 5-point harness car seat to “fit me”. It doesn’t go in the car, but I was able to modify a seat with a detachable back to fit on an IKEA chair frame. The result is a pretty close imitation of the strapped-in experience. I like to play video games or watch TV while sitting in it at home.

Reactions: ChronoKitten, CaZzaaaa, Jodie and 7 others
abdlrox said:
I also am obsessed with carseats and other juvenile safety restraints! You are totally not alone in this.

Here are some things that help me get the sense of safety and comfort that carseats provide:

1. Back-zipper clothing. It doesn’t have to be AB specific, even a regular back-zip romper gives me that silly feeling of being taken care of.

2. Any one-piece clothes, like unitards, leotards, or one-piece swimsuits. The combination of tightness and “torso coverage” gives me the same feeling.

3. Wearing overalls and having a friend sometimes tug on the straps to “lead” me around.

Best of all, I actually modified a real 5-point harness car seat to “fit me”. It doesn’t go in the car, but I was able to modify a seat with a detachable back to fit on an IKEA chair frame. The result is a pretty close imitation of the strapped-in experience. I like to play video games or watch TV while sitting in it at home.
That’s awesome! As I said, my interest is pretty secluded to car seats but I have a Sherpa onesie from onepiece that I LOVE wearing around the house, it’s so comfy!

Your car seat idea is smart, I’m actually in the process of getting a Roosevelt seat off of Facebook marketplace and I actually fit the weight and height requirements so I can ride in it, I just don’t have anyone I’m brave enough to ask to lol.

I’m really craving the feeling of buckling into the harness and then it being tightened up nice and snug. The torso “restraint” is definitely a big part of it because I love the feeling of my life jacket too which is kind of similar to what a car seat harness is with the over the shoulder/between leg straps.

Reactions: babyscotty37, CaZzaaaa, Newtolittlespacelife2023 and 3 others
gterriley said:
Hello everyone. I posted this on the introduction forum but was told I’d get better responses here, so here I am :) I was reluctant to make an account on here because I don’t think what would typically qualify as an AB, I’m not into diapers or acting like a baby (no disrespect to anyone who does these things!) but I’ve developed a fascination at this point of my life and I don’t know what to make of it.

I’m 26 F and for most of my life grew up in a VERY protective family (I had to ride in a car seat using a harness until I was 11, had helicopter parents, curfews etc). When I was young I hated this, and I wanted to be less “safeguarded”. Recently, as I’ve gotten older I’ve noticed it’s become the complete opposite, I love everything that’s “safe”.

For example, most people don’t like wearing life jackets. I got a jetski last year and I love wearing my life jacket. I got a really nice one with a little collar on it and a strap that goes between my legs and I feel so secure in it when I’m in the water floating around. I always sleep with a weighted blanket because it’s comforting to me. It’s not necessarily a “safe thing” but I got a fleece onesie from onepiece for my birthday and it’s the coziest thing in the world, I wear it whenever I’m bumming it around the house on Sunday. It’s funny but the one thing I want the most right now is to ride in a car seat again. A few years ago while I was in college I was at a friend’s house getting ready to go out and the friend’s mom drove us to the bar. They babysit a kid with special needs and her mom forgot to take the car seat out of the car so one of my friends hopped in it as a joke and rode to the bar strapped in. We were all laughing at the time but it looked so cute and safe! Ever since then I’ve wanted to feel what it’s like to ride in a car seat again because there are special needs car seats that are in my height and weight range that I can legally ride in. I’m too embarrassed to tell anybody I know about this and want to know if anyone else has developed a gravitation toward safety like this.

I understand. I am not really technically an "adult baby", either. I certainly don't wear diapers, although there apparently are some adult babies who don't wear diapers. I do have Classic Autism, however, and ADHD, and certainly emotionally and socially I'm like a 4 1/2 year old, if maybe not even a little bit mentally. According to many people I know, including some past college professors I have had, my past employers (among the few people who did employ me at some point in my life), my friends (both nonautistic and Autistic friends, some of the ASD friends are more like 10 to 12 years old emotionally and socially), past elementary school teachers, relatives, parents, etc., I do act like a (probably what some people might consider well behaved) 4 1/2 year old. I am in my mid late 40s chronologically. There are social skills that I lack that even normal nonautistic 4 year olds don't lack. And I certainly do have some childlike inclinations. Like I was really into pacifiers for a long time; I still watch Little Bear, Teletubbies, Pink Panther cartoons; I like playing tag; I like children's rides at amusement parks (when I can ride on them; some amusement parks won't let me because of maximum height restrictions); I actually adore vintage children's clothing from the 1980s and I love the idea of dressing up like a traditional little boy like from the days when I was a child. So we're talking about overalls, but more like "long-alls" and jon jons and bubbles. I absolutely love long-alls. I wish people (maybe even some children's clothing companies), would make me more in my size. I never wore long-alls as a child, though I did wear overalls a lot before I was 5 years old. You see the longall style more often in the Deep South, like in Alabama, Tennessee, South Carolina, etc. Little boys wear long-alls or jon jons with Peter Pan collar shirts, kneesocks, and sometimes saddle shoes, but more often T strap Mary Jane type shoes. The look is extremely adorable, maybe even over the top "cutesy", but I think it's cute. It's not unusual to see little boys dressed like this in church on Sunday mornings in the South, or even at preschool / nursery school. Little girls often wear smocked bishop dresses and T strap shoes or Mary Janes too down in the Deep South.

I know what you mean about being from a very protective family. I still live with my parents and even though I'm in my 40s, they are also overprotective. Maybe it's because of my Autism too. My mom was and is a helicopter parent too. Plus I come from a family that is of Asian background - and parents from Asia tend to be overprotective and rather authoritarian. I wasn't put in a car seat till I was 11, I was quite tall so I outgrew my car seat pretty early. Also when I was a little kid, that was back in the late 1970s to mid 1980s, and the car safety laws weren't quite as stringent as they are nowadays. Nowadays, you have to be in at least a booster car seat till you are at least 4 feet 9 inches, if not a child carseat in itself. The height limit used to not be so tall. Child car seats were also quite primitive back in the 1970s and even 1980s, in comparison to the much more comfortable carseats they had in the 2010s and now. I've seen "normal" nonautistic run of the mill parents mention on bulletin boards that some of the carseats (like Britax) are so comfortable nowadays that they even wouldn't mind sitting in one if they could fit into it! Also there are some children like those who have dwarfism (especially proportionate dwarfs) who may have to ride in carseats well into high school years or even into adulthood. And I remember in 1989, I saw a girl in 7th grade in my Catholic school sitting in a car seat in her mom's van, and she wasn't that short. I was in 8th grade then.

I have to admit too that I hate wheelchairs, as to me they look rather demeaning and humiliating as far as I am concerned. If I ever get old enough and disease ridden that I can no longer walk, I'll probably end up getting a stroller like transportation device. There are Autism transport chairs for adult Autistics that look like a stroller of some kind. Or I could get one of those stroller carts that can accommodate up to 300 pounds. I'm almost 6 feet tall and I'm around 185 pounds so I should be okay. Also, if I ever get to the point where I'm physically handicapped, with my developmental disability, I'll probably need a live in caretaker so it probably won't matter anyway. I'm not going to feel ashamed about something I have no control over.

- longallsboy

Reactions: babyscotty37 and gterriley
I always hated being in a car seat. It was never really comfortable and the straps were uncomfortable. Also, since I lived in south Texas the thing would get insanely hot during the summers.

Looked like this...
peHDuKXo98VxxXGctD39ojSkV3l1urtO_lg.jpg

Reactions: longallsboy
gterriley said:

It’s not necessarily a “safe thing” but I got a fleece onesie from onepiece for my birthday and it’s the coziest thing in the world

Could your love of carseat harnesses and carseats be from a love-hate relationship with it? Maybe where you hated them, but then learned to love it? I've heard of adult males who were made to wear T strap shoes or Mary Jane type shoes as a toddler or preschooler or even as an older kid. They didn't really like it that much then, but they learned to love it too as an adult.

Interesting you like one pieces. A longall is also basically a one piece. I have a friend who is a mother, on the other side of the country (I'm from the West Coast; she is from the Carolinas) who has 4 children, 3 of them who are now in their teens. The youngest one is 10 now and has Classic Autism. When he was young (up till 5 1/2 years old), he wore a lot of long-alls and jon jons, and T strap shoes. His mom always referred to them as "one pieces". Overalls are usually also "one piece". Where I am from, it is extremely uncommon for little boys to wear "long-alls" or jon jons and little boys wearing T strap shoes are almost virtually non-existent. It is a much more popular way of dressing little boys in the Deep South.

In case you don't know what a longall is, it is like this outfit below :

received_661259265497963.jpeg

And another "longall", with Al The Elephant (the mascot of the University of Alabama) :

received_712747596058823.jpeg

This is a jon jon :

received_451051512776605.jpeg

And this is a tan colored T strap leather shoe (I would actually call this color "burnt orange"), for a child around 3 to 4 years old. This brand was made in Spain.

received_3009516585945353.jpeg

Take care ---

longallsboy

Last edited:
quartz200420012 said:
I always hated being in a car seat. It was never really comfortable and the straps were uncomfortable. Also, since I lived in south Texas the thing would get insanely hot during the summers.

Looked like this...
View attachment 127138

I don't know. Even this carseat, which looks to be from the late 1980s, seems so much more comfortable than the carseats when I was a toddler in the late 1970s. Those carseats in the 1970s were primitive, and I would actually say, atrocious! LOL. They really were failures in terms of safety aspects. They didn't even have restraints! You put the regular seat belt on top of the front of the children's carseat. At least, mine was like that! In comparison to today, toddlers, preschoolers, and young children ride in total comfort now. Those Britax carseats from nowadays are so comfy!! I have to say the children's shoe industry was much better in the 1970s and 1980s, and there were some really adorable shoes back in those days. I never wore T strap shoes or Mary Janes, as a child, because I was a boy and I was from the West Coast, but there were so many high quality adorable T strap leather shoes when I was growing up in the 1980s. Some of the overalls and long-alls were way more adorable than some of those out even now by children's clothing companies in the Deep South. They had more leather colors too then. Burnt orange / tan was a very common leather color back in those days. Nowadays there aren't any children's shoe companies that make nice shoes anymore. I had some saddle like shoes in burnt orange leather when I was a 3 year old that was totally adorable. Nowadays, the high quality leather T strap shoes (and even saddle oxfords) are from Spain or Italy nowadays. Some are made in Vietnam too.

But yeah the car seats when I was a toddler were not good. LOL.

- longallsboy

floppyfoppsie said:

Was your brother Autistic? Just wondering. I have Classic Autism.

- longallsboy

Yes! He has an unspecific learning disability alongside his Autism. We both are Autistic!
longallsboy said:
Was your brother Autistic? Just wondering. I have Classic Autism.

- longallsboy

Man I grew up standing up in the front seat of a 68 Ford pickup going down the road at 70. I never had a bicycle helmet or knee pads. Infact if I had it would of most likely got mad ass kicked at school for being a nerd. Different times. They lock people up now for things that was just normal practice back then. My mom aled 3 packs a day when pregnant and through my entire child hood. She would always be talking with her hands and some how jab a red hot cherry into me and then blame. Lol. I use to ride 3 wheelers and 4 wheelers without so much as a helmet or pants. Toe I would hate the Idea of setting in a car seat or booster seat. Now a race care with 5 point harness would be cool but I would only use if I was doing something dangerous.

Maybe you should look at putting a race seat and 5 point in your car it will make you safer as long as it does not catch fire. They be a lot cheaper than a special needs chair.

Last edited:
longallsboy said:
I understand. I am not really technically an "adult baby", either. I certainly don't wear diapers, although there apparently are some adult babies who don't wear diapers. I do have Classic Autism, however, and ADHD, and certainly emotionally and socially I'm like a 4 1/2 year old, if maybe not even a little bit mentally. According to many people I know, including some past college professors I have had, my past employers (among the few people who did employ me at some point in my life), my friends (both nonautistic and Autistic friends, some of the ASD friends are more like 10 to 12 years old emotionally and socially), past elementary school teachers, relatives, parents, etc., I do act like a (probably what some people might consider well behaved) 4 1/2 year old. I am in my mid late 40s chronologically. There are social skills that I lack that even normal nonautistic 4 year olds don't lack. And I certainly do have some childlike inclinations. Like I was really into pacifiers for a long time; I still watch Little Bear, Teletubbies, Pink Panther cartoons; I like playing tag; I like children's rides at amusement parks (when I can ride on them; some amusement parks won't let me because of maximum height restrictions); I actually adore vintage children's clothing from the 1980s and I love the idea of dressing up like a traditional little boy like from the days when I was a child. So we're talking about overalls, but more like "long-alls" and jon jons and bubbles. I absolutely love long-alls. I wish people (maybe even some children's clothing companies), would make me more in my size. I never wore long-alls as a child, though I did wear overalls a lot before I was 5 years old. You see the longall style more often in the Deep South, like in Alabama, Tennessee, South Carolina, etc. Little boys wear long-alls or jon jons with Peter Pan collar shirts, kneesocks, and sometimes saddle shoes, but more often T strap Mary Jane type shoes. The look is extremely adorable, maybe even over the top "cutesy", but I think it's cute. It's not unusual to see little boys dressed like this in church on Sunday mornings in the South, or even at preschool / nursery school. Little girls often wear smocked bishop dresses and T strap shoes or Mary Janes too down in the Deep South.

I know what you mean about being from a very protective family. I still live with my parents and even though I'm in my 40s, they are also overprotective. Maybe it's because of my Autism too. My mom was and is a helicopter parent too. Plus I come from a family that is of Asian background - and parents from Asia tend to be overprotective and rather authoritarian. I wasn't put in a car seat till I was 11, I was quite tall so I outgrew my car seat pretty early. Also when I was a little kid, that was back in the late 1970s to mid 1980s, and the car safety laws weren't quite as stringent as they are nowadays. Nowadays, you have to be in at least a booster car seat till you are at least 4 feet 9 inches, if not a child carseat in itself. The height limit used to not be so tall. Child car seats were also quite primitive back in the 1970s and even 1980s, in comparison to the much more comfortable carseats they had in the 2010s and now. I've seen "normal" nonautistic run of the mill parents mention on bulletin boards that some of the carseats (like Britax) are so comfortable nowadays that they even wouldn't mind sitting in one if they could fit into it! Also there are some children like those who have dwarfism (especially proportionate dwarfs) who may have to ride in carseats well into high school years or even into adulthood. And I remember in 1989, I saw a girl in 7th grade in my Catholic school sitting in a car seat in her mom's van, and she wasn't that short. I was in 8th grade then.

I have to admit too that I hate wheelchairs, as to me they look rather demeaning and humiliating as far as I am concerned. If I ever get old enough and disease ridden that I can no longer walk, I'll probably end up getting a stroller like transportation device. There are Autism transport chairs for adult Autistics that look like a stroller of some kind. Or I could get one of those stroller carts that can accommodate up to 300 pounds. I'm almost 6 feet tall and I'm around 185 pounds so I should be okay. Also, if I ever get to the point where I'm physically handicapped, with my developmental disability, I'll probably need a live in caretaker so it probably won't matter anyway. I'm not going to feel ashamed about something I have no control over.

- longallsboy
Let me just say that, considering what you said, you’re extremely articulate and I would never know! I’ve never really worn overalls or “longalls” but they look cute I might have to give them a try.

And yes, I’m glad I grew up when I did because while at the time I used it I hated my car seat, it was insanely comfortable aside from the embarrassment I had riding in it.

My father in law provided my wife and I a car seat for our first child. It was one of the early ones with the hooks that hooked over the front seat and it had a little steering wheel in the front...you know.....something to impale your child should you crash!

As for me, I grew up in the '50s where there were no such things as car seats. To make things even worse, when I was maybe 10 years old, I would ride in the back of an open pickup truck with my friends.

I do think that wanting a car seat might be a nostalgia thing. I rode in the back seat of my parents' '52 Chevy and I can remember coming home at night from an hour trip and stretched out and sleeping on that long back seat. I'd still like to do that and I'd like to own an old Chevy.

longallsboy said:
Could your love of carseat harnesses and carseats be from a love-hate relationship with it? Maybe where you hated them, but then learned to love it? I've heard of adult males who were made to wear T strap shoes or Mary Jane type shoes as a toddler or preschooler or even as an older kid. They didn't really like it that much then, but they learned to love it too as an adult.

Interesting you like one pieces. A longall is also basically a one piece. I have a friend who is a mother, on the other side of the country (I'm from the West Coast; she is from the Carolinas) who has 4 children, 3 of them who are now in their teens. The youngest one is 10 now and has Classic Autism. When he was young (up till 5 1/2 years old), he wore a lot of long-alls and jon jons, and T strap shoes. His mom always referred to them as "one pieces". Overalls are usually also "one piece". Where I am from, it is extremely uncommon for little boys to wear "long-alls" or jon jons and little boys wearing T strap shoes are almost virtually non-existent. It is a much more popular way of dressing little boys in the Deep South.

In case you don't know what a longall is, it is like this outfit below :

View attachment 127139

And another "longall", with Al The Elephant (the mascot of the University of Alabama) :

View attachment 127142

This is a jon jon :

View attachment 127140

And this is a tan colored T strap leather shoe (I would actually call this color "burnt orange"), for a child around 3 to 4 years old. This brand was made in Spain.

View attachment 127141

Take care ---

longallsboy
Yes, it was definitely from a love-hate relationship. As I said, I was in a harnessed car seat until I was 11. Which, as you can guess to an 11 year old is mortifying. My mom drove me in to school, so I was in it practically every day. Now, I think my big interest in car seats and safety in general comes from a place of: life moves so fast and is so utterly unpredictable and places and situations of safety are comforting. I had a few wild years at college and could’ve gotten into a lot more trouble than I actually did, so now as my brain developed I really enjoy things that make me feel safe and comforted.

gterriley said:
That’s awesome! As I said, my interest is pretty secluded to car seats but I have a Sherpa onesie from onepiece that I LOVE wearing around the house, it’s so comfy!

Your car seat idea is smart, I’m actually in the process of getting a Roosevelt seat off of Facebook marketplace and I actually fit the weight and height requirements so I can ride in it, I just don’t have anyone I’m brave enough to ask to lol.

I’m really craving the feeling of buckling into the harness and then it being tightened up nice and snug. The torso “restraint” is definitely a big part of it because I love the feeling of my life jacket too which is kind of similar to what a car seat harness is with the over the shoulder/between leg straps.
I’m so happy you’re getting a Roosevelt seat! I looks sooooo comfy! Once you get it, let us all know how you fit. There are some of us who are over the listed limits who still hope we can get away with sitting in one 😁.

I hope you find someone to take you on a car ride! Rooting for you!

Reactions: gterriley
So, I wish they had a carseat with harness that would fit me.

I'm not an AB per se, but do like one piece clothing, especially at night like pj's.
I have some sensory issues, so really only light snug clothing on my legs, I hate jeans or even pants, usually wear shorts when out, if at home i usually just wear my pj's (LKS footies) which are snug on the body all around, dont ride up and the zipper is on the back so dont bug my chin.

I'm thinking that some the like of the one piece clothing and even the carseat feeling might be from sensory issues, Not sure how bad/much sensory issues everyone has, but i'd say that it's very common especially with any amount of autisim...Which if i was born in the 90's i'm sure I'd have been diagnosed with some amount of autism, as I do have issues with handwriting and also simple maths and some other areas, but other areas i'm great with.

So, I also want/need some extra back support in the car, long story as to why, but if somone hit the brakes i'd hurt my back for sure.
I ended up getting a ez-on harness for my van, which also uses the regular seat belt, but I will say now using it a few times, one for a longer trip to the dr's (45min each way), that it really helps me a lot.

A full carseat would be the best TBH, but there is nothing in my size available (5'11 and 240), whilst i am still investigating if i can get something like a full seat both covered by insurance and alike, the harness does i'd say 80+ percent of what a car seat does for me.

I really wish there was something available on the market for full sized (or extra large) adults. I'm sure that more than just people wanting for nastaglia or feeling there is people that would benifit from a full seat with good support.

I have great support in my wheelchair(pushchair) with back support and head/neck support in it that works great and also is comfortable. But i dont own a vehicle i can transport the wheelchair in (No wheelchair van, just a minivan).

As for the people that can fit in a car seat, i'm sure there is plenty of people on here that envy that for sure. Even i do, I wish i could fit in a Britax carseat, Had one for the ex's child and he loved it, had to move it to other cars for him, else he'd wine about it, which is fine, better to se him in a good carseat, as from my knowledge back a decade+ ago they were one the best(safe) seat available.

I cant say i'd have any nastelgia with a car seat as from the early 70's I didnt even have one, it was mom's arm, and noone in the family wore seatbelts back then at all. And i also rode in the back of the pickups all the time, or just lying down in the back seat, or even in the sideways seat in the back of the station wagon. I dont recall ever being in a carseat ever in my life. Closest was getting in trouble on the school bus and getting put in a harness in the very front seat, yes i was a trouble maker for sure.

And yes keep an eye out on marketplace or craigslist for the special needs seats they come up often and not for a lot of money. New ones are super expensive!!!

dogboy said:
My father in law provided my wife and I a car seat for our first child. It was one of the early ones with the hooks that hooked over the front seat and it had a little steering wheel in the front...you know.....something to impale your child should you crash!

As for me, I grew up in the '50s where there were no such things as car seats. To make things even worse, when I was maybe 10 years old, I would ride in the back of an open pickup truck with my friends.

I do think that wanting a car seat might be a nostalgia thing. I rode in the back seat of my parents' '52 Chevy and I can remember coming home at night from an hour trip and stretched out and sleeping on that long back seat. I'd still like to do that and I'd like to own an old Chevy.

I've seen photos of babies riding in baskets that were attached to the back seats of cars, with absolutely no restraints whatsoever. If the car stopped abruptly, the child would probably have flown right out the window and crashed. Ugh. This was even in the 1960s. I think my old community college math instructor, who is 72 years old, rode in something like that, as a baby. 😱😱

- longallsboy

Back