Dual Sport Motorcycle??

ChrisKrinkle

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
Looking to start riding motorcycles. It's always something I've wanted to do, and at 50 I ain't getting any younger! I am attracted to a dual sport because I like how I'd be able to ride it on or off road...depending on my mood that day!
Anyone out there riding??

Reactions: TheWaddlingDad and Wonderingabout
About 9 years ago I did just that. Took the course and bought a new Kawasaki Versys 650. Scratched that itch for about 5 years and then sold it. Should have bought used. It was as more a light adventure bike, less off road. If I was going to go more dual sport, it would probably have been a KTM. Also looked into the KLR650. Might go back to bikes at a later time.

My husband and I ride Harley’s. He has an ElectraGlide and I have a Heritage Classic, lowered for my 4’ 11” stature. He’s ridden all his life and I took a safety class in 2009 and got my license. Prior to me getting my own bike, we rode a fair amount, me as co-pilot behind him, as much as possible. When I got my bike, we rode a lot more but we never brought 9our young son with us on rides. Then, I got pregnant with our second son and the rides pretty much stopped for a few years, after which we occasionally rode on short escapes for several more years. Over the last 3 years, we hardly ride at all with our business mushrooming like it has. The two motorcycles are now expensive paperweights, one with a bad battery and the other bike battery on life support. I think this is the year for a revival though!!

Reactions: TheWaddlingDad
Rode off-road most of my life. Not a great rider but it’s a lot of fun, I haven’t ridden in about ten years (I’m 63 yo) but me and the wife have bought property in the country I will make some trails and get back in saddle sometime soon !

It's matters your leg inseam they are taller for ground clearance you can lower it a little bit.
So go to a dealership and sit on them see how they fit you.

Reactions: Tommy10
I been on motorcycles pretty much my whole life, I currently have 3, 2007 Harley Super Glide, 2020 Harley Road Glide, and 2019 Honda CB500x adventure bike that I thought I'd ride off road occasionally but don't .....

Reactions: redsan
I ride motorcycles, I've been riding since I was in elementary school. I currently own three motorcycles. A 1972 Honda XL250, fun little enduro bike, a 1982 Honda CM450A, great bike for riding around on for most all situations, and a 1980 Honda CB750K, this bike has some speed to it and is a blast to ride.

I'm still looking at adding a few more bikes to my collection. I'm thinking about buying a Honda XR650, a 2014 Honda CB1100, and maybe a Honda SCL500 in the near future. I do a lot of road trips on my motorcycles and I also motocamp a bunch.

I haven't really figured out how to incorporate diapers into my motocamping because of space and how to dispose of the diapers while at campsites.

Last edited:
redsan said:
I ride motorcycles, I've been riding since I was in elementary school. I currently own three motorcycles. A 1972 Honda XL250, fun little enduro bike, a 1982 Honda CM450A, great bike for riding around on for most all situations, and a 1980 Honda CB750K, this bike has some speed to it and is a blast to ride.

I'm still looking at adding a few more bikes to my collection. I'm thinking about buying a Honda XR650, a 2014 Honda CB1100, and maybe a Honda SCL500 in the near future. I do a lot of road trips on my motorcycles and I also motocamp a bunch.

I haven't really figured out how to incorporate diapers into my motocamping because of space and how to dispose of the diapers while at campsites.
I knew a guy had a 69 cb750 saw him 20 years later still had it, I’d love to take that 72 xl 250 for a spin. If I ever get to Japan I’ll look you up.

Reactions: redsan
I started riding in 2022 at age 44. I bought a used 2010 Yamaha Vstar 650 but now want to get something with a bit more power. It was something I always wanted to do since I was a teen. Had 0 experience when I started.

I started at age 13 on a 50 cubic centimeters Russian made "moped“, I can say it was offroad, I used it only in rural dirt roads around our house in village. Biggest enemies were the horseshoe angles in the tire and stray dogs on my ankle. Happy 80's. After I had got my driving licenc at 18 I bought a JAWA 350, two-stroke, two cylinders, air cooling. I used it for two decades but when our first child came and we bought a new house I sold it. Nowdays I'm going to buy some classic bike, maybe BMW R100 or R90.

foxkits said:
It's matters your leg inseam they are taller for ground clearance you can lower it a little bit.
So go to a dealership and sit on them see how they fit you.
I'll second this. As a shorter guy, I can't realistically ride the bigger BMW's. The "wee Strom" (Suzuki V-Strom) is fairly beloved by all, with benefit of a shorter seat height. It also uses the same engine at the SV650 street bike, so there's plenty of parts and data available.

As another said, if you can find a well maintained used bike, that's the way to go especially starting out.

Lastly, I cannot emphasize safety enough. Find a motorcycle safety course in your area and take it. I've taken a few, and I use the skills every time I ride (slow, look, lean, roll😉). Buy the best safety gear you can afford. An HJC RPHA 11 helmet saved my life in 2019. That cost of that helmet exceeded $700 at the time, but it's true: you get what you pay for.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Tommy10 said:
Lastly, I cannot emphasize safety enough
That’s a great point, especially with the lunatics that drive in my home state. One of the reasons I sold my bike was I was getting a little too fast and frisky for my own good. The other was I just didn’t have time to ride it that often and I didn’t like commuting to work with it.

I actually prefer off-road and one of these days I’ll buy an off-road bike or ATV.

Tommy10 said:
I'll second this. As a shorter guy, I can't realistically ride the bigger BMW's. The "wee Strom" (Suzuki V-Strom) is fairly beloved by all, with benefit of a shorter seat height. It also uses the same engine at the SV650 street bike, so there's plenty of parts and data available.

As another said, if you can find a well maintained used bike, that's the way to go especially starting out.

Lastly, I cannot emphasize safety enough. Find a motorcycle safety course in your area and take it. I've taken a few, and I use the skills every time I ride (slow, look, lean, roll😉). Buy the best safety gear you can afford. An HJC RPHA 11 helmet saved my life in 2019. That cost of that helmet exceeded $700 at the time, but it's true: you get what you pay for.

Have fun!
Oh I second the riding course plus it helps with insurance rates completing one there a great book ride hard ride smart get that book.
A white helmet drops accident rate by 78% people see a white helmet.
I took a Abate course.list of mind info you need that's just a beginner.
After the courses then you start learning. Get the book it will help you be aware your surroundings.
And things you never thought of.

Message me when you get the bike
There are some great stuff that helps you be safe.

I'm not a fan of Dual Sport bikes. They split the difference between being a road bike and a trail bike and don't do either exceptionally. If you are willing to compromise to have both and are happy with it then go for it.

I have been riding since 2008 and currently have a 2004 Harley fat boy. I tend to ride almost every day to work during the summer months and do at least one longer weekend ride a month.

I am not a fan of the duel sport bikes either. It's all about comfort for me and that style just doesn't cut it. Most people use them much more on road than trail so I do recommend just buying one for road to start off then a dedicated trail bike later. Alot of what people call " off road" is closer to dirt roads that most street legal bikes can handle just fine.

PamperedMarine said:
I have been riding since 2008 and currently have a 2004 Harley fat boy. I tend to ride almost every day to work during the summer months and do at least one longer weekend ride a month.

I am not a fan of the duel sport bikes either. It's all about comfort for me and that style just doesn't cut it. Most people use them much more on road than trail so I do recommend just buying one for road to start off then a dedicated trail bike later. Alot of what people call " off road" is closer to dirt roads that most street legal bikes can handle just fine.
If you should find yourself off-road with a Harley fat boy something’s gone very very wrong!

• Haha
Reactions: Khaymen
I rode a V-STROM 650 for years and loved it. Decided to give it up becasue as smart phones became ubiquitous I felt there was just too many distracted drivers and it was getting inherently unsafe where I live. If I ever move to a more rural area I'd buy another bike in a minute. Probably try a KLR650 this time.

I LOVE my VStrom DL650 and have ridden her for 55K miles but it’s been over a year since I had a stroke and my balance is still out of whack and I don’t think I’ll ever be able to ride two wheels again. It sucks!! I’ll be putting her up for sale this Spring, reluctantly.

Reactions: depta99
CLPP said:
I LOVE my VStrom DL650 and have ridden her for 55K miles but it’s been over a year since I had a stroke and my balance is still out of whack and I don’t think I’ll ever be able to ride two wheels again. It sucks!! I’ll be putting her up for sale this Spring, reluctantly.
I hear you ... I had bigger bikes (BMW r1100), and I much preferred the V-Strom becasue of versatility and nimbleness. Sorry to hear you cannot ride it anymore. For me it was a sad realization that it was only a matter of time before I got hit by a distracted driver. I had an extremely close call where somebody almost got me, and I sold the bike the same day. In considered a warning from above. I miss riding all the time. Thinking of getting a very used light sports car just to get a tiny sliver of that taste back. Nowhere near the same thing, but at least a manual transmission and direct steering.

Back