Disk Space Fixed

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
As of today, I've got some more disk space working on the server.

For those curious, here was the process to get this working:
Step 1: Attempt to recover disk space by pruning old data, but then find out it doesn't actually free enough disk space to be helpful
Step 2: Figure out a way to expand the server hard drives
Step 3: Clone the entire server, creating a working copy (including all data) to test my theory on
Step 4: Stop the real server, start the clone, configure the clone not to conflict with the real server.
Step 5: Test out my disk modifications on the clone.
Step 6: Find out that this modification plan doesn't actually work for us, and go back to the drawing board, repeating steps 1-4.
Step 7: Once I have a method that works on the clone, take backups of the real server database and files (quite a lot of data)
Step 8: Prepare real server for same disk expansion process
Step 9: Attempt to repeat what I did on the clone, on the real server
Step 10: Testing, to verify there were no issues
Step 11: Once testing shows site is OK, write this post

This took about 6 hours of continuous work tonight, but yeah, the disk space increase is done, and I now have a template I can follow if I need to repeat the process again in future.

As of now, the maximum upload size on attachments has been increased, from 1 MB to 5 MB.
For the moment, the use of attachments in conversations is also still enabled.

I will continue monitoring the disk space issue.
For the moment though, I think our disk space issues should be resolved.
If you notice any remaining disk issues, or "I can't attach this file" issues (and the file is under 5MB) then please open a conversation with me, or posts in the Requests subforum, and I will take a look.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: Someoneonline, unnamed, DrewDL and 20 others
Back