Disability Poll

Disability?

• Total voters
I know since I have had two such devices when I was a quad.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
68Bonnie said:
That only works if they can talk; they said they can't.
with head movement on a pad all can be accomplished.

Reactions: Lyokodl and BobbiSueEllen
With me, it is Autism plus Cerebral Palsy.

• Wow
Reactions: Jim100 and BobbiSueEllen
Mine are.spinal damage, and ptsd, from several hot zones and combat trauma.

• Wow
I don't think mental illness exists; for it to be justified, there's have to be 'normal' people as a control for comparison...a gold standard, if you will. Of all the people out there who are of 'socioeconomical stature', they seem to have issues worse than many of us so-called 'abnormal' people do, with substance abuse, physical abuse, social manipulation, reckless behaviors...if they're 'normal', then I'm Jesus Christ.

Guess that answers that. There is no 'normal' by which we can be compared and found in want. No way. We may want for many things but we certainly don't want for clear conscience and soul. I don't lay awake at night in fear, worry or doubt; my head hits the pillow and I'm out. I'd like to see a lot of 'normal' people do that. You'd think with all they have, it'd be easy...apparently, it ain't. So in this world, there's no 'normal'..everyone's abnormal but in varying shades and degrees.

I have severe fibromyalgia and Asperger Syndrome, which was once called "high-functioning autism" in certain psych circles. Regarding fibro, I'm slowly losing my ability to walk so I use an ultralight wheelchair for shopping, strolling or travelling. I have cousins with both MS and fibro; they're symptomatically identical in just about all ways and it took an MRI to rule MS out for me. There's no treatment...oh, well. So I pace myself, try not to overdo it (not easy in these circumstances), eat adequately, get rest...and take nothing for the 24/7 pain. 16 year later...so far, so good.

As far as autism/Asperger goes...looking back, I understand now. All my life, I've been labelled as 'different'...or 'retarded', depending on who's doing the looking. All my life, since I knew I was 'different', I tried to put a finger on what it was called that made me different from others, but the psych world played fast & loose with me: "bipolar", "ADD/ADHD", "ODD", you name it. Some labelled me, others refuted it. Guess the psych world has a tendency to eat their own. Then last year, about this time...I got the diagnosis and after much reflection. And it made sense. I wanted an answer...and I got it, 52 years later. It was relief mixed with 3D flashbacks, but that was something I had to go through to process through into acceptance. In the end, I accept it...it has to happen to someone, right? Why not me?

Reactions: KitsuneFox and Jim100
BobbiSueEllen said:
I don't think mental illness exists; for it to be justified, there's have to be 'normal' people as a control for comparison...a gold standard, if you will. Of all the people out there who are of 'socioeconomical stature', they seem to have issues worse than many of us so-called 'abnormal' people do, with substance abuse, physical abuse, social manipulation, reckless behaviors...if they're 'normal', then I'm Jesus Christ.

Guess that answers that. There is no 'normal' by which we can be compared and found in want. No way. We may want for many things but we certainly don't want for clear conscience and soul. I don't lay awake at night in fear, worry or doubt; my head hits the pillow and I'm out. I'd like to see a lot of 'normal' people do that. You'd think with all they have, it'd be easy...apparently, it ain't. So in this world, there's no 'normal'..everyone's abnormal but in varying shades and degrees.

I have severe fibromyalgia and Asperger Syndrome, which was once called "high-functioning autism" in certain psych circles. Regarding fibro, I'm slowly losing my ability to walk so I use an ultralight wheelchair for shopping, strolling or travelling. I have cousins with both MS and fibro; they're symptomatically identical in just about all ways and it took an MRI to rule MS out for me. There's no treatment...oh, well. So I pace myself, try not to overdo it (not easy in these circumstances), eat adequately, get rest...and take nothing for the 24/7 pain. 16 year later...so far, so good.

As far as autism/Asperger goes...looking back, I understand now. All my life, I've been labelled as 'different'...or 'retarded', depending on who's doing the looking. All my life, since I knew I was 'different', I tried to put a finger on what it was called that made me different from others, but the psych world played fast & loose with me: "bipolar", "ADD/ADHD", "ODD", you name it. Some labelled me, others refuted it. Guess the psych world has a tendency to eat their own. Then last year, about this time...I got the diagnosis and after much reflection. And it made sense. I wanted an answer...and I got it, 52 years later. It was relief mixed with 3D flashbacks, but that was something I had to go through to process through into acceptance. In the end, I accept it...it has to happen to someone, right? Why not me?
I disagree, there mental illness, psychotic bent on murdering or harming others have mental issues, child molesters have a deep mental illness, the rest of us are.simply unique as is each person and each person deals with a multitude of things in their own way, adapting as we.go as best we can.... most people aren't mentally I'll, they are simply.misinderstood, a bit of caring and gaining their trust helps.everyone involved.

Reactions: Jim100
68Bonnie said:
How else should it be classified? I understand not wanting to use a term like "mental illness" because of how harsh it sounds but, at the end of the day, isn't that what autism is?
No autism is not a mental illness. It's a condition
autism spectrum disorder (ASD), refers to a broad range of conditions characterized by challenges with social skills, repetitive behaviors, speech and nonverbal communication.

Or in other words someone that is on the spectrum can get overwhelmed by the sensory input they are receiving. This video explains it better

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Where a mental illness , is a behavioral or mental pattern that causes significant distress or impairment of personal functioning.

Hope that helps

Hugs

Last edited:
Reactions: PCBaby, KitsuneFox and BobbiSueEllen
Just urinary incontinence here....

Depression, OCD, ADD, BPD, body dysmorphia, disordered eating, general anxiety, ptsd, social anxiety, and dyscalculia.

• Wow
Although I have the dexarity of a ten-month old baby, I've been typeing with one finger since I was 6-years-old on a typewriter. Now, thanks to technology. I can use a computer. There's A LOT we can do

• Love
Reactions: Jim100, KitsuneFox and BobbiSueEllen
68Bonnie said:
You can't talk, or control your hands? Then, how are you able to make text posts on the Internet?
Just take a look at Stephen Hawking, what he was able to do.

I have mild autism, anxiety and depression

OfficialPastelPoppet said:
I have mild autism, anxiety and depression
Same here. I manage to remedy my depression with 5-HTP, fight my anxiety with a blend of "think three steps ahead" and solitude...got diagnosed with Asperger last year, this week.

Reactions: Jim100 and OfficialPastelPoppet
BobbiSueEllen said:
Same here. I manage to remedy my depression with 5-HTP, fight my anxiety with a blend of "think three steps ahead" and solitude...got diagnosed with Asperger last year, this week.

I too have aspergers :)

Jim100 said:
with head movement on a pad all can be accomplished.

Hmm, so like swipe-to-type, except using their nose, or can a webcam follow the movement of one's head to move the cursor on a screen?

I find it extremely fascinating how so many of us in this niche community just so happen to have a disability of some sort. Not even by a close margin either; it's the majority.

I wonder if there's a link between being AB/DL and having a disability.

Reactions: Jim100 and LilxFawn
Sheepies said:
I find it extremely fascinating how so many of us in this niche community just so happen to have a disability of some sort. Not even by a close margin either; it's the majority.

I wonder if there's a link between being AB/DL and having a disability.

Yes.
I admit that there a lot of us AB/DL persons here have documented disabilities.
A lot of physically disabled adults are "in diapers", along with many Autistics.

Reactions: Halibut and Jim100
Just urinary incontinence and sometimes bowl incontinence but that is improving I think. Probably dew to change of diet but the bladder is slowly getting worse

Back