Did potty training do this to us?

How big a role do you feel potty training trauma plays in ABDL development?

• It's really instrumental...

Votes: 22 12.3%
  • Definitely makes it likely...

Votes: 45 25.1%
  • I think it was a tipping point for me...

Votes: 37 20.7%
  • I didn't have any trouble with potty training...

Votes: 80 44.7%
  • I struggled with potty training, but I don't think it plays into this...

Votes: 22 12.3%

• Total voters
I don't remember potty training at all. That tells me I must've been out of diapers at like age 2. I think the trauma of potty training might have played a role in my abdl development. I think I was rushed out of diapers as fast as humanly possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sidewinder
On my baby book, it's written that at 8 months old I was "clean".
So I asked my mother how that could be possible as my earliest kid was "clean" at 2.5...
She explained me that when she was changing me, she was making me exercises (?) and during the exercises, I was systematically doing #2 on a piece of paper (it was the 60's, so it was cloth). Since 8 months, there was no #2 anymore in the diaper and she explained that since then, I was near all the time seated on the potty. Even my high chair had a potty under... And very soon after that, there was no diapers anymore and I had only a few accidents in my bed (which my sister complained about)...

So yes, I was potty trained very very very early.

And recently (after my mother finally quit this world at very old age), I understood that I had an attachment deficit. She was a very good mother but more in the education than unconditional love. My father was travelling all the time and had no interest in small kids.

So yes, very (too?) early potty training was also for me a lack of attention, unconditional love and I'm quite sure it is part of my ABDL tendencies (with other events later). My earliest rememberings always includes my potty or diapers...

With my kids, I always spent enough time during change, with lot of love and cuddles. I've never put any pressure and never asked them to become bigger and stop to wear diapers. There was no baby potty at home but we have a big garden and having only boys, we were playing "pee on the tree"... They naturally decided to stop wearing by themselves. The fastest was at 2.5 and the slowest at 4. For the slowest, I just asked him if he still wanted to keep the diaper for the night because he enjoys it or if he want to remove it because he will start school and maybe it's time to discover someting new. He said ok, no diapers and it was the end the same day!. I've see no signs of diaper / baby things interest in any of my kids, they are all full grown and fantastic adults.

Nothing to do with potty training or infancy here. Just a mischievous sheepish 5 to 8 yr old boy (can't quite place the time frame) being alone in a room with a open package of thick crinkly fragranced printed Pampers beckoning and suddenly feeling blushy and intoxicated and getting ideas randomly for absolutely no reason at all. And once you try it, well... 🤤

Last edited:
Eclectic said:
That may be true for a small proportion of ABDLs, but not most. The majority tend to realize they have an affinity for babyhood and diapers at a relatively young age (4-6). It’s also unlikely that most ABDLs have what psychologists would call a true fetish.

Surveys and thousands of posts on sites like this show there are numerous types of infantilists and diaper lovers and they arrived at it through numerous ways. This means the term ABDL means something a little different for almost everyone here. And, there is not one consistent factor for everyone.
Your right we are similar yes .
That's why there are others that came about liking there diapers the same way. While others came to liking diapers other ways.

For me, it was actually a good experience. I still would not have a problem with using potties, so there defnitely is not a trauma.

I have diagnosed autism, and I think that may also be a factor for some people like me. As a young toddler, I NEVER wanted out of diapers, but I was forced into undies at some point before i was 4. I even remember trying to use one of my mom's pad as a diaper and stick it in my pants once. Even after being potty trained, I actually kept getting diaper samples in the mail. I tried it on when i was 5, and my dad was not happy to say the least. As for serious trauma, non potty-training things played the biggest part for me being ABDL.

i was potty trained very early. /succesfully/
and remember sleeping at my grandma, who didn't believe i would stay dry and would feel better if i was put in a diaper.
(how much my mother tried to defend me, if she did, i can't remember) but i ended up in a diaper, and i think that was the seed.

I don't recall anything about potty training until I was 5 and started school. I was still wearing diapers during the day and mom tried to potty train me but I don't recall anything unpleasant about it. I finally stopped needing diapers during the day at 7 but still wore diapers at night until I was much older. I was a long time bedwetter, mom did try various things to help me, even took me to her doctor for exams but she didn't find anything wrong and told my mom I would grow out of it eventually and avoid making a big deal out of it, otherwise I might suffer psychological harm.

I don't really remember potty training, but I'm told I was slow to potty train. I was out of diapers during the day but I had frequent accidents. But I don't think that influenced by interest in diapers. Wearing Goodnites every night for bed, however, probably did influence that.

Reactions: wetaccident
Potty training for me didnt really have a big effect on my liking diapers and such. I trained pretty normally, no odd punishments, no major accidents. I did miss the diapers ,training pants and plastic pants after training. I remedied that by doing makeshift diapers and plastic pants for years.

For me I think potty training played a big part. I'm trans and after potty training come boy-bathrooms and girl-bathrooms… Having no proper grasp on what those feelings of discomfort about having to go to a boy-bathroom meant, my 3 year old mind came up with a simple solution, go back to diapers. I wet the bed up to my early teens and the struggle wasn't getting me diapered in the evening… the struggle was getting me out of them in the morning. From after being daytime potty trained up to becoming incontinent I always wanted to go back to diapers on some level. In the end I got my wish I guess, and I'm happy with it.

Reactions: DiaperedIzzy
So it wasn't exactly potty training for me but the trauma in my life started shortly after potty training. I was safe and secure when I wore diapers. A few months after potty training, I wasn't.

Belarin said:
I think what drives us to ABDL if highly individual, I myself had no trauma potty training or abuse as a child (aside from the odd bullying in school from other children mostly because I was a bit of a geek). I was also potty trained not early but not late either and had no troubles with bedwetting (aside from after I began to get these feelings and started doing it on purpose).

I mentioned before but I think the tipping point for me was at about 7 when I had an accident at the park visiting my dad, it was a one off and hadn't happened for many years and didn't happen again for many more years, but my dad kinda lost it a bit and drove me home to mum and put a nappy on me demanding she keep me in them for the rest of the weekend before storming out. This was absolutely humiliating for me at the time but was the first real exposure I had to wearing nappies outside of infancy.

My sister at the time was not even a year old so there were still nappies around the house, while I hated this event at the time within the next year is when I started being attracted to them, wanting to wear them and wetting my pants/bed on purpose.

So for me, yes the ABDL desires probably were triggered by that trauma but it was later on in childhood.

For others it probably depends a lot on how they were treated at various ages, what they were exposed to, their own personal emotional state and many other things, there is no one contributing factor that will guarantee someone becoming ABDL and what may be the cause for one person may also be what stops the desires from starting in another.
I know for sure how it happened with me. I was never nursed so consequently, I got emotionally attached to the only softness in my surroundings.

Potty training did have much to do with it. I conquered daytime at 3 1/2 and only did it because my mom would bribe me with Hershey´s chocolates every time I told her to take me potty. My mom kept diapering me at night until shortly after my fourth birthday, when she suddenly announced that I wouldn´t be wearing diapers at all anymore because I was "officially a big kid" after 3 straight weeks of waking up to a dry diaper and proudly claiming my chocolate... as you can tell, I was scammed!!!

My heart broke into a thousand pieces and I cried my eyes out that night begging my mom to put me in a diaper, but she had made up her mind and told me instead that she knew I was perfectly capable of staying dry all night long and that she would spank me hardly if I even considered peeing myself on purpose. Save for the odd accident every few months, I didn´t wet myself at night until I turned 30.

But that´s not it; a few months after that tragic announcement, my mom had a baby shower in preparation for the arrival of my baby brother while I was at school, and when I came back I found a huge pile of Pampers occupying my playing corner; on one hand, the scent of my room from that day forward would trigger something inside me every single time, and on the other, the fact that my mom expressly told me that those diapers were "off limits" would make them even more appealing to 4-year-old me.

My brother was born and I got to be a helpful big brother: watching my mom taking care of the baby definitely made wish it was me instead, but on the other hand she was praising me for being so mature... in the end I let curiosity win and clumsily diapered myself up one night, trying to replicate my mom´s movements. The moment the soft lining of the Pamper touched my skin, I realized I really, really loved diapers.

Finally, the worst element of my love for diapers came a few weeks later when I started to suffer sexual abuse. Unfortunately I remembered them telling me "hold it, hold it, keep holding it..." It wasn´t bad at first, but then it started to hurt badly and I asked them not to play like that anymore and they said they didn´t care and kept on raping me every time we met, even though I started to put up tantrums against going with them. I took shelther in the diapers I was secretely wearing at night and eventually managed to block it off my memory, allowing me to have a realtively normal childhood. When I remembered all these events in therapy a few years ago, my life totally crashed and have been trying to get back on my feet since then. Being diapered 24/7 for the past two years has been a great help though.

Reactions: dogboy
For me potty training was not the issue or the tipping point. I grew up in a large family and was the middle child. My mom has told me that when I was a baby It was like her favorite time. She was in a really good place and just took the time to really enjoy me being a baby. So I had lots of attention. Then my little sister came along and she was a bit of a terror. She took a lot of the attention away because she was always fussy and stuff like that. Then another one came along and made that even harder. I found myself being forgotten a lot. Or shoved to the side by everyone. I was literally the only kid in town my age. I found myself wanting to go back to a time where I was more cherished I guess you could say.

Back