Did anyone else have a Plastic Pant Fetish as a Child?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgive me is this has already been asked, but does anyone know why manufacturers stopped using diamond / taffeta embossed plastic for plastic pants?

Or even have any idea what a possible reason could be?

It has never made any more sense to me than, say, if all car wheels would be made square instead of round, and everyone would just shrug and accept the bumpy rides without any protest.

• Thinking
Reactions: 70sPampers and Angelapinks
Maia said:
Forgive me is this has already been asked, but does anyone know why manufacturers stopped using diamond / taffeta embossed plastic for plastic pants?

It has never made any more sense to me than, say, if all car wheels would be made square instead of round, and everyone would just shrug and accept the bumpy rides without any protest.
I am not really sure why but I did find some Priva plastic pants that use a more textured plastic. Not as good as the old style was but it may all be hard to find soon as they start to move more to PUL and away from real plastic even in China I think.

Reactions: Maia
Maia said:

Many of the baby plastic pant manufactures just simply went out of business slowly. It was due to disposable diapers. They became more popular every year, so less people bought plastic pants for their babies. There are so many kinds if you look for vintages ones on ebay. The main one that stuck with the textured vinyl the longest was Gerber, from the 60's until early 90's. I think by then only a few other companies still made anything like them, and I think Gerber simply changed due to cost reasons. There was a few companies that made adult ones, but sadly they also went out of business, but early in the 2010's I think. Just cost and product changes over time and general lost knowledge resulted in this type of plastic pant to cease being made. It is my goal to get something like this in production again, but its a few years off. You can find textured vinyl, mostly the diamond cross pattern as apposed to the tiny hexagonal pattern on the old Gerber pants. It is mostly similar and will do, so this can be achieved if someone puts their effort to it.

Reactions: Maia, Deleted member 56273 and Angelapinks
Maia said:

@Maia, I have mentioned this before, but to me, it seems that you and I have similar sentiments about a bygone feature of a favorite product that we simply cannot understand why it was changed/discontinued (you miss the diamond/taffeta embossed plastic for plastic pants, and I miss a similar type of plastic that used to be on baby diapers).

Like you, for the life of me, it just doesn't make any logical sense to me that manufacturers would discontinue using that kind of diamond embossed textured plastic for diapers (or for plastic pants). There is no advantage that I can spot for going with smooth-typed plastic instead of the diamond-embossed type for either product that I am talking about right now.

Like you, I believe it simply seems that manufacturers decided to make the switch and nobody batted an eye either way without protesting.

It may not be much consolation for either one of us, but at least for both of us, vintage diamond-embossed diapers and plastic pants can 1): still be purchased on sites like eBay if one is willing to part with hard-earned money, and 2): many companies at least still make plastic diapers for adults and plastic pants for both adults and babies--even if the coveted diamond-embossing is missing for both types products in question.

And, I cannot speak for you, but for me, I cannot live without my diamond-embossed plastic diapers, so despite unreasonable pricing at times, nevertheless, eBay has become a good friend of mine :LOL:

Here's to those wonderful plastic pants of yesteryear when diamond-embossing was the norm:

Gerber pants33.pngGerber pants38.jpgvinyl pants2.jpgvinyl pants15.jpgvinyl pants21.jpg

• Love
Reactions: WillFord384, Maia, Deleted member 56273 and 2 others
Maia said:

My suspicion is that the only reason taffeta-pattern rollers became the norm to begin with was through imitation. All it took for the changeover to smooth rollers that produced a smooth-finished film was for one vendor to push that as an advantage, apparently successfully. The change happened long enough ago that perhaps no one still in the business of manufacturing vinyl film remembers why....

• Thinking
Reactions: 70sPampers, Maia, Angelapinks and 1 other person
MickeyM said:
Many of the baby plastic pant manufactures just simply went out of business slowly. It was due to disposable diapers. They became more popular every year, so less people bought plastic pants for their babies. There are so many kinds if you look for vintages ones on ebay. The main one that stuck with the textured vinyl the longest was Gerber, from the 60's until early 90's. I think by then only a few other companies still made anything like them, and I think Gerber simply changed due to cost reasons. There was a few companies that made adult ones, but sadly they also went out of business, but early in the 2010's I think. Just cost and product changes over time and general lost knowledge resulted in this type of plastic pant to cease being made. It is my goal to get something like this in production again, but its a few years off. You can find textured vinyl, mostly the diamond cross pattern as apposed to the tiny hexagonal pattern on the old Gerber pants. It is mostly similar and will do, so this can be achieved if someone puts their effort to it.
In the same time the traditional Swedish «Snibb» diapering system fell out of fashion as the majority of babies born in the early 1990s grew up with fitted hourglass disposables.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Angelapinks
I grew up solidly in the disposable era, yet this old manufacturing style for plastic pants has even me curiously intrigued enough to want to experience that style in some way.

Reactions: Blekyss, Deleted member 56273 and Angelapinks
BabyTweetyBird said:
In the same time the traditional Swedish «Snibb» diapering system fell out of fashion as the majority of babies born in the early 1990s grew up with fitted hourglass disposables.
I encountered Snibbs when I visited England in the 70's. They were white and soft and the feel was just right for me to try them on in my hotel room. At the same time I discovered Boots Chemist plastic baby pants in larger sizes and bought some. I wore them on a bus trip around London with a little lotion in them for a slippery feel. If I remember correctly they were a textured plastic but I did not like the plain elastic bands in the waist and legs as they left red welts. To be honest the main reason I loved the textured plastic when I was younger was the feel of it while playing with myself and the fact I left no tell tale mess on my sheets for my parents to find. I only got in trouble once for this and that was enough shame for a lifetime. I became hooked on the feel when I was about 10 or 11 due to a sadistic friend who insisted we all wore his baby brothers plastic pants if we wanted to play with his awesome collection of toys and he was the most spoiled boy in the area. We all decided it was small price to pay for getting to play at his house but one boy did get very red faced when our friend pointed out he was the smallest endowed boy of us all even his baby brother was bigger. The boy just up and got changed and went home and never came back again. Would love to know if the other boys got hooked on plastic pants like I did.

Reactions: tam1623, Blekyss, vp39 and 1 other person
Thanks all for replying ☺️
70sPampers said:
@Maia, I have mentioned this before, but to me, it seems that you and I have similar sentiments about a bygone feature of a favorite product that we simply cannot understand why it was changed/discontinued (you miss the diamond/taffeta embossed plastic for plastic pants, and I miss a similar type of plastic that used to be on baby diapers).
I guess so, yes.
It’s just frustrating the hell out of me to be robbed of a perfectly good and affordable commodity that I depend on and have that replaced with expensive garbage, and to add insult to injury, being told that garbage is better.

Like you, for the life of me, it just doesn't make any logical sense to me that manufacturers would discontinue using that kind of diamond embossed textured plastic for diapers (or for plastic pants). There is no advantage that I can spot for going with smooth-typed plastic instead of the diamond-embossed type for either product that I am talking about right now.

There’s two sides to it. Most discussed here is that people like you and me simply like it. It doesn’t matter for what reason. The sweet *zing* of shyness mixed with feeling secretly proud made it so much easier for me to deal with incontinence.
Everyone in this topic has their reasons.

But there’s also an objective reason why textured is better. It’s way more comfortable and causes less irritation because the texture prevents the plastic clinging or sticking against the skin.
It’s basically for the same reason as that a suction cup won’t hold on a brick, but it will hold on a glass pane.
The embossed pattern in the plastic makes it more skin-friendly. If you need to wear plastic pants all the time that adds up to quite a difference.

Textured plastic ideally feels like satin or silk, but glossy plastic feels like microwave film or trash bags. For a garment that’s worn everyday that choice should be so obvious that I can’t imagine anyone with a working pair of brains deciding to use smooth foil for a plastic pant, unless they want to punish people for being incontinent.

70sPampers said:
Like you, I believe it simply seems that manufacturers decided to make the switch and nobody batted an eye either way without protesting.

Indeed. Well, I’m still trying to find a “why” now and then - like now 😉
I could maybe accept it if there was a good solid reason. But, there isn’t one.
70sPampers said:
It may not be much consolation for either one of us, but at least for both of us, vintage diamond-embossed diapers and plastic pants can 1): still be purchased on sites like eBay if one is willing to part with hard-earned money, and 2): many companies at least still make plastic diapers for adults and plastic pants for both adults and babies--even if the coveted diamond-embossing is missing for both types products in question.

Indeed, I’m afraid that doesn’t help much.
For me goes that I really use them, so that they need to be the right type and size as well.
Even if I could those, from what I’ve heard the cost is in the collector’s items range, which is something like 10 - 20 times the actual value. That’s just beyond my budget for an everyday commodity. I don’t collect them, I use them.
And even though I take care of them as well as I can, they won’t nearly last as long as a collector’s item would.

70sPampers said:
And, I cannot speak for you, but for me, I cannot live without my diamond-embossed plastic diapers,

Of course I can just give in and start wearing the usual terrible disposables. I sometimes have to. I profoundly hate them: they leak, the tapes become unstuck. It sucks.
But it works. Kind of.

But I do have an alternative: DIY. I found someone who bought the inventory of a plastic pant manufacturer who had quit business years ago, and he sold me a length of pvc foil. This stuff is actually embossed, but with a yet different pattern. It’s better than nothing, in any case. I’ve been working on creating usable plastic panties from that using a heat sealer. It’s a LOT of work. But indeed better than nothing.

Reactions: Blekyss, Angelapinks and Deleted member 56273
I do remember most plastic pants became smooth surfaced by the early 2000s.....This was the case with adult ones and baby ones. Gerber was one of the few that stayed with the embossed plastic. I do remember in the early 90s though all the Gerbers went to a smooth vinyl and also were now made in China and Mexico. I have a bunch of Suprimas that were from 2001 and were embossed plastic. In the following year though they all went smooth. There also were Lifestyles plastic pants which were a nice semi white textured plastic. They had a real shiny surface and a textured one on the inside. They made that tell tale swish sound when slipping them on. They too went to a different plastic by 2008 that was sort of bumpy but not the taffeta embossed type. I bought a few pairs on Amazon of "Aw So Cute" and was pleasantly surprised to find them with the textured surface at such a recent time(2018)..It seems now though they arent made anymore because Amazon has been out for years now of them. Im guessing the general population seemed to prefer smooth plastic surfaces in more recent times now. I still have a drawer full of the textured Gerbers and Lifestyles ones and love to pull them on all the time. The texture gives a more arousing feeling when wearing them by themselves on occasion.

Reactions: Maia, Luvshugs and Angelapinks
vp39 said:
My suspicion is that the only reason taffeta-pattern rollers became the norm to begin with was through imitation. All it took for the changeover to smooth rollers that produced a smooth-finished film was for one vendor to push that as an advantage, apparently successfully. The change happened long enough ago that perhaps no one still in the business of manufacturing vinyl film remembers why....
That is good info to consider. Thanks for the input. Although, truth be known (I cannot speak for plastic/vinyl pants), as far as for making diaper plastic (both for babies and for adults), the kind of PE film that used to be on baby diapers of the 70s era (the diamond-embossed type of PE plastic that I am addicted to) is actually still available for purchase by the roll if a modern diaper manufacturer wished to simply purchase it and use it! (see link below) Which begs the proverbial $64, 000 question: Why the heck aren't modern diaper manufacturers interested in using this type of PE plastic film on modern diapers today when a simply order to a Chinese supplier will fill their order in a heartbeat??!!

Behold! The "ugly truth" that modern diaper manufacturers seem to be either unaware or willfully ignorant of:

• Thinking
Reactions: Maia, Angelapinks, Deleted member 56273 and 1 other person
Maia said:
It’s just frustrating the hell out of me to be robbed of a perfectly good and affordable commodity that I depend on and have that replaced with expensive garbage, and to add insult to injury, being told that garbage is better.
I share your sentiments EXACTLY!!!

Reactions: Maia and Deleted member 56273
Maia said:
Most discussed here is that people like you and me simply like it. It doesn’t matter for what reason.
Also, agreed. For me, my love of vintage baby diapers that featured diamond-embossed plastic originates from when I first wore 60s era Pampers disposable diapers who that textured plastic as a baby and then later as a 7-year old I began to notice my first strong desires to wear diapers again by stealing my siblings' diapers and then wearing those Pampers to bed to keep my bedsheets dry. And when puberty kicked in, I discovered the bliss of pleasuring myself with that textured plastic. I can honestly confess, that after 55 years of having that "fantastic plastic" in my life, the pleasure center in my brain is hard-wired to that diamond-embossed textured diaper plastic!

So, what's the reason why I like it sooooo much? In a word: IMPRINTING. Basically from my birth to around 25 or so (when smooth plastic diapers began to take over the stores), the overwhelming majority of diapers on the market were made with diamond-embossed plastics. So, for me, it is a no-brainer as to WHY I am still so aroused by that type of diaper plastic.

Reactions: Angelapinks and Deleted member 56273
70sPampers said:
For me, my love of vintage baby diapers that featured diamond-embossed plastic originates from when I first wore 60s era Pampers disposable diapers who that textured plastic as a baby and then later as a 7-year old I began to notice my first strong desires to wear diapers again by stealing my siblings' diapers and then wearing those Pampers to bed to keep my bedsheets dry. And when puberty kicked in, I discovered the bliss of pleasuring myself with that textured plastic. I can honestly confess, that after 55 years of having that "fantastic plastic" in my life, the pleasure center in my brain is hard-wired to that diamond-embossed textured diaper plastic!
My first love with the rubberized plastics started in the mid-1970s when I was put on Pampers fanfold disposables during a vacation in France. Truth is my grandmother bought the famous candy orange box for my brother who was a naughty bedwetter and since there weren't terry nappies and Gerber pants in da house she decided to put me in fanfold disposables instead.

images.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 70sPampers, Luvshugs and Angelapinks
70sPampers said:
Behold! The "ugly truth" that modern diaper manufacturers seem to be either unaware or willfully ignorant of:
Corporate diaper manufacturers chose the glossy smooth plastics over the rubberized style to make profit and cut production costs.

In a few words it's merely a question of bizness.

• Angry
Reactions: Maia and 70sPampers
It's interesting to me how many comments there are on this thread. Lots of people like plastic pants! I have one pair. I'm not huge into them but they are intriguing.
I was sitting at an unfamiliar bar with just my PP on under my jeans. After a few drinks I decided to pee in them a bit. Fifteen minutes later I went to visit the men's room. While at the urinal I pulled down my pp,expecting to see some pee in them. But nope, the leg gatherers were wet but no puddle of pee! I pulled up my pants and looked in the mirror. There was a wet spot about the size of a football on the backside of my jeans

• Wow
Reactions: Angelapinks
70sPampers said:
That is good info to consider. Thanks for the input. Although, truth be known (I cannot speak for plastic/vinyl pants), as far as for making diaper plastic (both for babies and for adults), the kind of PE film that used to be on baby diapers of the 70s era (the diamond-embossed type of PE plastic that I am addicted to) is actually still available for purchase by the roll if a modern diaper manufacturer wished to simply purchase it and use it! (see link below) Which begs the proverbial $64, 000 question: Why the heck aren't modern diaper manufacturers interested in using this type of PE plastic film on modern diapers today when a simply order to a Chinese supplier will fill their order in a heartbeat??!!

Lets all pool some moolah together and get a roll of it. Then make a template to match a diaper, idk like lets say a ABU simple, then cut out the plastic with the template and glue it on the ABU simple or something like that.

BabyTweetyBird said:
My first love with the rubberized plastics started in the mid-1970s when I was put on Pampers fanfold disposables during a vacation in France. Truth is my grandmother bought the famous candy orange box for my brother who was a naughty bedwetter and since there weren't terry nappies and Gerber pants in da house she decided to put me in fanfold disposables instead.

View attachment 89921
Great story! Your photo reminds me of an orange box of pleated Pampers that is currently on eBay. I put it on my wishlist since the box contains 72 of the original 78 diamond-embossed Pampers diapers left! The price seems high but is actually reasonable considering how many diapers you end up getting:

Auction:

Photos:

Pampers Orange71.jpgPampers Orange72.jpgPampers Orange73.jpgPampers Orange74.jpg

• Love
Reactions: wowser81 and Deleted member 56273
BabyTweetyBird said:
In a few words it's merely a question of bizness.
Yeah... well they certainly LOST my bizness with their switch! 😠

• Angry
Reactions: Maia and Deleted member 56273
MickeyM said:
Lets all pool some moolah together and get a roll of it. Then make a template to match a diaper, idk like lets say a ABU simple, then cut out the plastic with the template and glue it on the ABU simple or something like that.
Sounds like a good idea! The problem seems to be that existing diaper makers are not interested in purchasing this textured PE film--even though it is readily available, right?

So, we ABDLs should save some money, buy a roll, and then "donate" it to an existing ABDL-friendly diaper maker and have THEM make us some diapers, under the promise that we will definitely purchase the resulting product. After all, they already have existing templates and materials for adult diapers; they just need to switch out our textured PE roll for one of their existing smooth plastic PE rolls. This would be a lot easier than trying to "make" our own with the roll that we bought, right?

Reactions: Maia, wowser81 and Deleted member 56273
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back