Diapers for sleeping advice

oliverfulldiaper

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Hello, I am interested in trying to sleep in diapers, but the times i tried it I ended up taking it off because I was scared of it leaking, what is the best way to overcome this fear and even to make sure the diaper does not leak if i pee or poop (on purpose because i am not incontinent) while on bed.

Reactions: johnnyDL1, Jorelaxed, ChristianDiaperLover and 1 other person
Wearing good diapers will help (speed of absorbing wetness will matter more than total capacity here, although ideally you need both things), and getting the fit right will help as well. Dont go to bed in a diaper that is already to full, but ultimately, if you wet half consciously or unconsciously, leaks will happen from time to time but hopefully be infrequent.

If you use a mattress protector, it shouldn't be much of a problem. But you shouldn't expect to never leak. Just be ready/prepared when it does happen and you don't have to worry.

Reactions: mistykitty, Jorelaxed, Diprs2 and 2 others
lilSorcerer said:
Wearing good diapers will help (speed of absorbing wetness will matter more than total capacity here, although ideally you need both things), and getting the fit right will help as well. Dont go to bed in a diaper that is already to full, but ultimately, if you wet half consciously or unconsciously, leaks will happen from time to time but hopefully be infrequent.

If you use a mattress protector, it shouldn't be much of a problem. But you shouldn't expect to never leak. Just be ready/prepared when it does happen and you don't have to worry.
I can not use a mattress protector unfortunately, but I will use better diapers to try it then. Thanks for the advice

Reactions: Diprs2
I have been Urine - Incontinent (U-IC) for 45 years. The information provided above is best practice and provides a solid foundation.

It seems that you are likely living at home and as a result, not able to use mattress protection without explanation.

As a result, using diapers and plastic pants, with propose, wetting and/or messing yourself would not be advisable as noted above, leaks can occur and without additional protection, bedsheets, blankets and the mattress can become wet and/or soiled. This can quickly become problematic and questions will be asked.

Better diapers and plastic pants will limit the likelihood of leaking, but they are not assured.

Reactions: DinoFrant, Jorelaxed, PaddedRita and 3 others
This is great advice. And I am living at my own apartment but I can not use the mattress protector because i usually have girls at home and it would be weird if they find out, I will get the plastic pants though, never thought about it.

Also I am aware of leaks because when i wear in public it sometimes happens even with the best diapers

Reactions: mistykitty, Diprs2 and Edgewater
oliverfulldiaper said:
Hello, I am interested in trying to sleep in diapers, but the times i tried it I ended up taking it off because I was scared of it leaking, what is the best way to overcome this fear and even to make sure the diaper does not leak if i pee or poop (on purpose because i am not incontinent) while on bed.
no matter how good a diaper is you will experience leaks at sometime over night. finding the right diaper that fits you and allows you to feel comfortable is key. always make sure any diaper you wear over night is a premium one that is absorbent. a pad under you and/or mattress protection is important. any night time diaper test it out during the day to see how it holds. since to are not a bedwetter and know when you are wetting you will know quickly if the diaper leaks.

Reactions: Jorelaxed, bdale, Edgewater and 1 other person
What I have the most luck with is, yes of course a good diaper that fits well, but add to that waterproof pants of some sort that also has an absorbent layer. I must admit I have trouble finding these and a lot of what I already have is no longer sold. But I just ordered from babykins.com their plastic pants with terry and besides it being plastic instead of PUL, this is what I mean. The terry layer catches the leaks from the disposable and the pants keep all the wetness in. Is it a perfect guarantee? NO! But it is as close as I've come and the leaks I've had from it are so minor as to be a non-issue and allows me to sleep comfortably and confidently. Of course if you don't have private laundry options even this can be a problem but usually the terry is barely wet and can just air dry. I turn it inside out and hang it on the closet door knob unless soaked and reuse it for a few nights. The reuse is mostly because I don't have enough of them but it works out okay. This setup also keeps the bulk between my legs in a reasonable range. If you're wondering if a cover over diaper will work fine, it does not in my experience, some sort of absorbent layer is essential to catch the leaks.

Reactions: CLPP, Diprs2, PooMinara and 1 other person
I was just like you when I had to start wear for the 1st time ! Took me a good couple months before I felt comfortable ! You have to have some kind of trust in your diapers !

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and Jorelaxed
I mean you shouldn’t have to worry about leaks since you’re not a bed wetter and have control over your bladder. I myself can usually feel when my diapers are at their limit. I myself struggle with wearing while sleeping. Also have a hard time peeing while laying down.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
I think it just takes some getting used to. Practice makes perfect.

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and Deleted member 58241
Rita said:
I was just like you when I had to start wear for the 1st time ! Took me a good couple months before I felt comfortable ! You have to have some kind of trust in your diapers !
Yes i know, the same happened when wearing in public, diapers you can trust are key and im still trying to find which ones work for me

When I wear daytimes I nearly always have boxer- briefs over my nappy, so night times I do exactly the same with the addition of plastic pants.

The Tena Active Ultima nappies are excellent and very rarely leak, but if any small leaks do occur the wetness is absorbed into the fabric of the underpants and is securely contained by the plastic pants.

I usually lie on my back when I wet myself in bed, but I do also sleep on my side sometimes, so from time to time I have wet my pants, but the bed always remains bone dry.

The bed is also protected by a mattress protector and on ‘wet nappy nights’ I additionally have a waterproof absorbent bed pad as added protection. I like to feel relaxed and enjoy a good night’s sleep!

Reactions: CLPP, Diprs2, PaddedRita and 1 other person
oliverfulldiaper said:
This is great advice. And I am living at my own apartment but I can not use the mattress protector because i usually have girls at home and it would be weird if they find out, I will get the plastic pants though, never thought about it.

Also I am aware of leaks because when i wear in public it sometimes happens even with the best diapers
You can probably get a waterproof cottony/smooth mattress protector at least. Get one that you enclose the entire mattress in as it won't easily come off or be felt.

I think it's very practical and natural to have one. You can justify it easily by saying you don't want it to get stained by anything. My mattress protectors through the years have caught (menstruation) periods, naughty stains, nose bleeds, drink spills, etc.

Oh, and as for the diapers, test them slowly, and make sure they fit well. You might need tight(er) diapers if they leak on you. From experience, diapers that are smaller for me leak less but are less comfortable

Last edited:
Another option is a disposable mattress protector, you can just throw those away after and they just lay on top. But like was said by many above good quality diapers are you're best bet. Also, what @insideoutlier said about the better they fit you the better they'll work is definitely true and I don't know if this was mentioned already but also look for ones that specifically say for at night, they are usually more absorbent and hold more then others.

But it also does take some time for your body to get used to it as well. If you wake up what worked for me is do your best to ignore it and try to focus on falling asleep. After doing that for a while it tends to become easier because you learn to sleep through it.

Reactions: Diprs2
mistykitty said:
Another option is a disposable mattress protector, you can just throw those away after and they just lay on top. But like was said by many above good quality diapers are you're best bet. Also, what @insideoutlier said about the better they fit you the better they'll work is definitely true and I don't know if this was mentioned already but also look for ones that specifically say for at night, they are usually more absorbent and hold more then others.
I didn't mention it in my previous post but I also use a mattress protector. I've used one for years even before the bedwetting came back because it protects both you and the bed and I used to have dogs sleeping with me. I use one from SafeRest available on amazon. Unlike the hot and loud plastic sheets of my youth, this one isn't hot and doesn't make noise and it doesn't scream "this is for bedwetters!" when you take the sheets off. It is the last line of defense against leaks and spills of any kind to protect the mattress. I don't know if posting Amazon links is okay so I won't, but look up 'SafeRest Mattress Protector' and you should find it. It also lasts forever and is washable so I've had this one since 2017 and it is still in fine shape. And my mattress has no stains despite some massive wettings in the past.

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and mistykitty
oliverfulldiaper said:
i wear diapers every night you need a good wide cut between the legs diaper like ABU little paws add 2 xl booster pads i use Tranquility super contour and plastic pants with a 3rd booster inside the plastic pants. iv had leaks didnt even notice as the cover held it in and the bed is dry

mistykitty said:
But it also does take some time for your body to get used to it as well. If you wake up what worked for me is do your best to ignore it and try to focus on falling asleep. After doing that for a while it tends to become easier because you learn to sleep through it.
Are you saying just try to go back to sleep and then maybe you will pee in your sleep?

Reactions: Diprs2, mistykitty and Edgewater
johnnyDL1 said:
Are you saying just try to go back to sleep and then maybe you will pee in your sleep?
Correct, your mind and body then learns not to worry about waking you up to go as a new sleep pattern and to just use the diaper instead.

Last edited:
mistykitty said:
Correct, your mind and body then learns not to worry about waking you up to go as a new sleep pattern and to just use the diaper instead.
The downside of the change in sleep pattern is that you are shifting away from continence to incontinence (Bedwetting). NOTE: Shifting back to continence takes much longer and not everyone is successful.

Reactions: Diprs2 and mistykitty
Back