connection between autism and incontinence?

LupintheWolf

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
So I read a few studies that showed there was a correlation between incontinence and autism saying autistic individuals were at higher risk for developing incontinence problems. I am wondering if anyone else has see this and if so do you think it has Merritt?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: sport1, LittleEnigma, Fleetwoodmac32192 and 1 other person
Realize that the autism spectrum is quite wide, from those who are very highly functional to those who need total care. ASD is not a disability, but a disorder. But there are many who are autistic that are also disabled. As a result, the ratio of those exhibiting incontinence is higher within the ASD group than the average population, but this is a poor comparison that lacks context. Much like saying incontinence is higher in women because of pregnancy, when we know that incontinence in men increases significantly as they get older due to prostate issues; context is everything.

• Love
Reactions: skylanderpamp, LittleEnigma, SoftMichel and 5 others
CheshireCat said:
Realize that the autism spectrum is quite wide, from those who are very highly functional to those who need total care. ASD is not a disability, but a disorder. But there are many who are autistic that are also disabled. As a result, the ratio of those exhibiting incontinence is higher within the ASD group than the average population, but this is a poor comparison that lacks context. Much like saying incontinence is higher in women because of pregnancy, when we know that incontinence in men increases significantly as they get older due to prostate issues; context is everything.
True although I think it has Merritt in a way seeing as autism is biologically speaking that the person's brain doesn't develop the same way and in that it is possible for the part of the brain responsible for receiving the signal that says "I have to go" from the bladder/bowels doesn't develop right and hence incontinence issues

Last edited:
Reactions: LittleEnigma, chiaochai and Magicalgirl101
although let me be clear i am well aware that there are cases where they are capable of making it to the bathroom and the only reason they are deemed "incontinent" is because they have trouble communicating having to go or basically the one being held responsible for them at the time being an idiot and not letting them go then getting mad when they have an accident

Reactions: LittleEnigma
What I stated doesn't begin to cover all bases. When it comes to autism and incontinence, is it hyper focus that prevents cues or signals to be noticed, or is it functional, or is it neurological?

CheshireCat said:
What I stated doesn't begin to cover all bases. When it comes to autism and incontinence, is it hyper focus that prevents cues or signals to be noticed, or is it functional, or is it neurological?
I would tend to see it as a cocktail of both depending on the case partly because I have seen mri scans of an different levels of autistic people's brains compared to a non autistic person's brain and they were all vastly different however in cases of higher functioning autism I think it functional incontinence because in those cases it mostly is the person is stuck with little to no neurological signal saying they have to go because thier brain can't perceive those signals properly

Last edited:
Reactions: Fleetwoodmac32192
Yes I agree, I believe there's a connection with incontinence to autism but not for every individual.
I'm thankful for my pull-ups when I feel uncomfortable trying to hold it in for the toilet.

Gubbiotti, M., Balboni, G., Bini, V., Elisei, S., Bedetti, C., Marchiafava, M., & Giannantoni, A. (2019). Bladder and bowel dysfunction, adaptive behaviour and psychiatric profiles in adults affected by autism spectrum disorders. Neurourology and urodynamics, 38(7), 1866–1873. https://doi.org/10.1002/nau.24081

• Love
Reactions: LittleBelle1 and LittleEnigma
CheshireCat said:
I was tired during my last post. I meant to say that depending on the person, hyper focus and/or functional and/or neurological may play a part.

Reactions: LittleEnigma and Fleetwoodmac32192
CheshireCat said:
I was tired during my last post. I meant to say that depending on the person, hyper focus and/or functional and/or neurological may play a part.
With that I entirely agree

Reactions: LittleEnigma and BobbiSueEllen
Women are at higher risk for incontinence than men. Mainly because of childbirth and it weakens our pelvic muscles with age.

Also reason why people with autism may deal with IC is due to sensory issues and executive functioning issues. They may wait too long to go to the bathroom so they have an accident. They may not feel they need to go until it's too late. It's more common with those with a severe ASD but those who are on the mild end can also suffer with it too. As a child I would just hold it because I always thought "I will go later" and I had a steel bladder. I also think this start to lead to my leakage in high school with my bladder not emptying completely and then I went on potty schedules to avoid feeling my bladder and I think this led to my intolerance of feeling urine in my bladder and plus wearing diapers so I wouldn't have to use the toilet. I don't consider myself IC even if I dribble off and on which I got from childbirth.

CheshireCat said:
ASD is not a disability, but a disorder. But there are many who are autistic that are also disabled
This is just contradictory. If you are disabled, it is a disability. Also I have a disability and have no problem saying I have one.

• Love
Calico said:
Women are at higher risk for incontinence than men. Mainly because of childbirth and it weakens our pelvic muscles with age.

Also reason why people with autism may deal with IC is due to sensory issues and executive functioning issues. They may wait too long to go to the bathroom so they have an accident. They may not feel they need to go until it's too late. It's more common with those with a severe ASD but those who are on the mild end can also suffer with it too. As a child I would just hold it because I always thought "I will go later" and I had a steel bladder. I also think this start to lead to my leakage in high school with my bladder not emptying completely and then I went on potty schedules to avoid feeling my bladder and I think this led to my intolerance of feeling urine in my bladder and plus wearing diapers so I wouldn't have to use the toilet. I don't consider myself IC even if I dribble off and on which I got from childbirth.

This is just contradictory. If you are disabled, it is a disability. Also I have a disability and have no problem saying I have one.
You can HAVE a disorder and not be DISABLED by it.

Disability ≠ Disorder.

Signed, a disabled person whose disorders have fuckall to do with their disability.

Reactions: Daboi07, LittleEnigma and CheshireCat
OmiOMy said:
You can HAVE a disorder and not be DISABLED by it.

Disability ≠ Disorder.

Signed, a disabled person whose disorders have fuckall to do with their disability.
BIG THUMBS UP 👍👍👍👍👍

• Love
Calico said:
This is just contradictory. If you are disabled, it is a disability.
You misread what I wrote. I stated, "ASD is not a disability, but a disorder." Huge difference between a disorder and a disability.

CheshireCat said:
You misread what I wrote. I stated, "ASD is not a disability, but a disorder." Huge difference between a disorder and a disability.
agreed. i am on the spectrum however that isn't a disability although i do also have 3 slipped discs in my back and nevous system problems which is a disabillity however I am wondering if my incontinence issues may be caused as a side effect of autism if not my back injuries or nervous system peoblems

Last edited:
CheshireCat said:
But there are many who are autistic that are also disabled.
But then you stated that.

Wow, I guess I don't have a disability then.

I'm just going to leave this Here:

I have a disability and no one is going to try and tell me I don't have one with their blanket statement.

Last edited:
I mean the united states school system calls it a disability although in my opinion the only case I would consider it a disability is the lower functioning end of the spectrum to the point in hinders thier ability to live on thier own

Last edited:
LupintheWolf said:
I mean the united states school system calls it a disability although in my opinion the only case I would consider it a disability is the lower functioning end of the spectrum to the point in hinders thier ability to live on thier own
I needed an IEP to get through school and a teacher aid and because of my own disability, I can never do college and have a higher pay job. Plus I have less stamina and can't handle stress as a NT so of course this is a disability and how can this not be one? Plus it gives me anxiety.

"Disability" is so stigmatized people don't want to see themselves as having one despite how they are affected by their autism. I also see myself as learning disabled since it creates roadblocks for me in life.

Well my mom sees the word "autistic" as negative and refuses to say I am autistic and she has a hard time saying I have AS as well. To her autistic means dysfunctional and can't live on your own and function on your own so to her calling me that is as bad as the R word. She wouldn't allow anyone to say I was autistic growing up. I have told her autistic is autism spectrum disorder. They changed it because they realized the whole spectrum. But she still disagrees, oh well. I just feel sad for her instead than being upset about it.

@Calico I am not saying you are wrong whatsoever. I am saying that a person can disabled or not disabled by autism. Furthermore, just as autism is on a spectrum, so is disablility, ranging from hidden to profound.

My former employer was diagnosed with Asberger's (as stated by his psychologist) at the age of 62. He had no idea he was on the spectrum, but it was evident in his social behavior. I was the one who pushed him to get checked. He was resentful that I would even think he might be on the spectrum, but thankful afterwards. He is a genius and highly successful. So in his case, autism is strictly a disorder without disability (other than not knowing when he was being rude).

Your statements about yourself indicate a very real disability, because of autism.

I have knew a couple with a grown son with autism, who had the mental capability of a toddler and severely physically disabled, needing total care.

Three different people with autism, wildly differentiated on the spectrum, and going from no disability to profound disability.

CheshireCat said:
@Calico I am not saying you are wrong whatsoever. I am saying that a person can disabled or not disabled by autism. Furthermore, just as autism is on a spectrum, so is disablility, ranging from hidden to profound.

My former employer was diagnosed with Asberger's (as stated by his psychologist) at the age of 62. He had no idea he was on the spectrum, but it was evident in his social behavior. I was the one who pushed him to get checked. He was resentful that I would even think he might be on the spectrum, but thankful afterwards. He is a genius and highly successful. So in his case, autism is strictly a disorder without disability (other than not knowing when he was being rude).

Your statements about yourself indicate a very real disability, because of autism.

I have knew a couple with a grown son with autism, who had the mental capability of a toddler and severely physically disabled, needing total care.

Three different people with autism, wildly differentiated on the spectrum, and going from no disability to profound disability.
i see it as a lottery in a sense where it's chance as to which symptoms of autism a person is born with to a point to where there can be someone who is a profound genius although thanks to autism they are non verbal or to be able to speak but their mind is literally like a toddlers forever. it can sadly go so many different ways and it sucks that modern medicine is calling them a spectrum basically marginalizing what is considered autism when realistically they know basically dick about what autism is

Back