Confidence in your diaper

chillipepperman said:
Hello folks,
I have a question for you all that are wearing diapers 24/7 or at least more often. What gives you the confidence not to need to change through out the day? I feel like I would fill my diaper too much to not have a leak. Which leads me to ask, are most people wearing plastic pants during these 24/7 daytime wears? Especially if you have to stand up, walk and sit many times in the day, how do avoid a leak?
For me, I guess it’s a combination of 1) I’m lucky my IC is not severe, and 2) I also tend to use more protection than I technically “need”. Someone with my level of IC doesn’t need to use a product like Incontrol Bedry or Megamax, but those work so darned well that I find the extra cost and bulk to be worth it. I’ve tried using products (pull ups mostly) whose stated capacity is more in the range of what I would “need” and, without fail, I feel wet inside of two hours.

I am bladder and bowel incontinent due to back issues and COPD. I rely on my diapers to keep my accidents contained. If you don’t have complete confidence in the diaper you are wearing to contain your accidents, you are likely wearing the wrong diaper for your needs. Any diaper will leak if wet beyond it’s capacity. If you have pooping accidents as well, your diaper will also have issues with containing a diarrhea accident as well because the diarrhea is so fluid and does not get absorbed into the diaper and will leak from even the best of diapers. I find that Terry lined diaper covers are best for catching any leaks.

When I'm at work, it's my Diaper + Gary Wear Diaper Cover + Onesie.

But on my days off, I've experimented with a Diaper + Just a Onesie, and i've had great results.

The Onesie prevents the diaper from sagging, allowing the diaper to soak liquid all the way up the back, which is not only a great feeling but will literally save you so much money because if done right you don't have to change until bedtime.

I've also experimented with a Diaper + Gary Wear Diaper Cover.
This combination also works well, because it allows you to tape the diaper snug while on the looser side, and the Gary Wear will support your diaper as it fills.

The Gary Wear does contain "Diaper Sweat" and some minor leaks, but if you have a really bad leak it's complicated not to dump the urine onto the floor during a diaper change.

Test run. With any new diaper, I wait until I have a very large pee and a massive bm at the same time. If theres no leaks when I sit down, I trust the diaper in public.

Reactions: NorthwestDiaperDude
I make sure to wear a nappy that will last until I can change at lunchtime, always plastic pants and a onesie over the top. The plastic pants will contain a minor leak but I generally won’t feel a leak unless it’s seeped through to my onesie. When this happens (rarely) I prioritise getting to a toilet for a change ASAP. And like everyone else has said wearing more protection than you need is key.

Reactions: BabyLouise
there are many premium diapers on the market that can absorb quite a bit. many of marketed for wear 8 to 12 hours without a change. it is good to have a heavy duty diaper, however not a good idea to go 8 or more hours without changing. leaking is low on the concern list for me. leaks will happen no matter how good the diaper is. the concern is your skin. proper skin care is very important so staying in a wet diaper for an extended period of time is not good. a heavy wet diaper is also extremely uncomfortable. it shouldn't be the norm to stay in a wet diaper for 8 or more hours. Over night while sleeping is more than enough time.

Reactions: chillipepperman and Lethdale
For me i wear a diaper which is tested and proven by me , i was a bedwetter till late teens and have worn a particular brand for years and if it can hold my then 16 year old wetting it should hold now. If i needed to wear for long time i would put on plastic pants or a diaper cover.

jdinvirginia said:
As someone who is double incontinent and has worn 24/7 for the past 11 years, I would advise that experimentation is essential. It is important to test your diaper to find your personal limits. Take a Saturday or Sunday and push whatever concerns you most, whether it be bladder or bowel. Do this in the privacy of your own residence. Pay attention both to your own body and the diaper. Overhydrate and test your diaper by peeing to your expected maximum in various body positions - standing, sitting, and in bed. Do you pee more during certain times of the day? If you have FI, do you experience accidents at certain times? How does taping your diaper more snugly or looser affect things? Do note that a single day of experimentation is not enough to draw any conclusions.

Good luck
--John
Good advice!

chillipepperman said:
Hello folks,
I have a question for you all that are wearing diapers 24/7 or at least more often. What gives you the confidence not to need to change through out the day? I feel like I would fill my diaper too much to not have a leak. Which leads me to ask, are most people wearing plastic pants during these 24/7 daytime wears? Especially if you have to stand up, walk and sit many times in the day, how do avoid a leak?
I put my Tena Proskin nappy and rubber overpants on this morning after my bath.
They will last me until about 8.00pm after approx 4-5 full bladder emptyings.
I've been using them for a while now and they haven't let me down yet.
I feel confident using this combination.

Reactions: chillipepperman
Back