Confessions of a British DL

They’re back!

PCS said:
It still hits me in the feels when she says “nappies are safe” as that’s exactly how the prospect of wearing them made me feel.

Though when she says “but you can’t wait to be out of them” I always thought “I can’t wait to get back into them!”
ohh I remember this add. It really made me think I wanted to go back into nappies. I was only about 7 at the time.

I don't know of that advert as I wasn't alive when it aired but when it said about feeling safe that was nice.

PCS said:
It’s taken me two years and one day but I’ve finally found the full length UK version of the ad, which I hadn’t seen since 1993.

I remembered most of the dialogue pretty well!

It still hits me in the feels when she says “nappies are safe” as that’s exactly how the prospect of wearing them made me feel.

Though when she says “but you can’t wait to be out of them” I always thought “I can’t wait to get back into them!”

Edit: it seems that it doesn’t work for me posting the link here.

The vid is entitled

Anglia | Continuity | Adverts | Anglia News & Weather | ITV National Weather | 11th July 1993​

And the ad starts at 3:25
This one is burned into my memory too! It was the question "Nappies or Pants?" that really stuck in my mind. Of course, I knew my answer…;)

PCS said:
Here’s an update from last Christmas to keep the account complete. I posted this at the time in another thread.

My partner and I went home for Christmas and while we were there my parents dig out some old photo albums.

There were pictures in there that I’ve never seen before including some photos on a holiday which we took on which my fourth birthday happened.

Lo and behold, there was a picture of me sitting on a sofa with my baby sister one evening in my pyjamas.

There’s the unmistakable bulge of a nappy and some white plastic poking out of my pyjamas!

I know this was before the DL thing struck but I now wonder whether the DL thing happened shortly after I was out of nappies at night.

I had always thought I was out of nappies before turning 4 and my last specific memory of wearing was when I was about 3 1/2 the day my sister was born.

I wonder whether some of my isolated nappy memories might actually be from later as a result of this revelation.

I also wonder if this later bed wetting than I thought might be why I have always had a fixation with them.

It also confirms my suspicions that 80s parents did quietly let their kids stay in nappies at night if they weren’t dry yet.
I’ve never had reason to discuss it with them and they didn’t mention it when we were looking at the photos, though my partner gave me a knowing look and later on the journey home said that she didn’t know I was still in nappies at 4 (she wore them at night until she was 5). I told her I didn’t know either until then!

They’re pretty relaxed people and were wonderful parents but they don’t know about my DL side and hopefully never will.

I was relying on memory alone up to now and the latest memory I had of wearing for need was aged 3 1/2 the day my sister was born so I assumed I was out of them shortly afterwards.

I know when I started being a DL my sister was at least one year old, so I would have been at least 4 1/2 and was out of them myself by then.

Perhaps this explains why I have some clear memories of wearing- they were later than I had assumed.

It also strongly suggests that on the occasion that I woke up one night in the middle of having a wee I certainly did have a nappy on.

It just goes to show how memories can be deceptive!
Thank you for sharing this. I know what you mean about memory being deceptive!

I can remember the first night I went to bed without a nappy on, but I can't remember exactly when it happened. I do remember being unhappy about it though, and I had to be persuaded and encouraged.

I've been trying to narrow it down, and so far, I can say for certain that I was still in nappies at night when I was 3 and 1/2, but I don't know how much longer after that I was still wearing them, I think I was no longer sleeping in nappies when I turned 4, but, again, with memory not being all that reliable, I could be wrong there.

Thanks again!

Hey @PCS thanks for posting this. It's a long thread but I read your posts. You do have a way of bring nostalgia back as a fellow brit. Thanks for posting. I'd give you old fashioned rep points, But a 'Like' will have to do instead!

Reactions: xxPampersBoyxx
In a much earlier post I referenced the cartoon Fantastic Max being something of a contributor to this thing.

Here’s the first episode!

• Love
Reactions: abrich
I just added this recollection to another thread and since this one has become something of a memory repository for me, I thought I’d add it here in the interests of completeness:

I don’t remember being the “role model” for my sister, but I certainly remember her potty training.

I think she was about 2 for the daytime and 3 for night-time.

There are some particular memories I have of that. I remember one weekend when she was put into knickers and was wearing a dress (probably easier to deal with than trousers. We were at one of those pub with a beer garden and outdoor play area type things and I had made some little friends.

We were hiding in some sort of plastic giant log thing and she ran over to us. I remember the sight of wee streaming down her legs and she was totally oblivious to what was happening. All of the other kids started going “urgh!!!!” loudly and I ran over to get our Mum who obviously collected her and changed her dress. I think that must have been very on in the toilet training as she had a nappy back on when she came back over to play (I don’t remember which type as I only remember seeing the white plastic on that occasion).

Another memory I have is when she was provided with training pants (this is still about a year or two before Pull-Ups were launched in the UK) and they were plastic pants with a terry lining.

I don’t think it was long after the first “accident” I mentioned as I don’t think it took her long to train in the day.

She had them on under blue dungarees and probably less than an hour after they went on she had a full in wee accident and they leaked causing a huge un-missable wet patch and tears.

I don’t remember them being used again after that as they were clearly hopeless in terms of performance.

When she was trained, she was still wet at night for about another year (which meant I still had a regular supply of nappies to swipe) and then I think her nappies just started to be dry in the morning sometime while she was three so she stopped wearing them.

I remember the last occasion I wore one of her nappies- it was the last one left over in an empty pack.

I’ve already told this story in my origin thread:

“I remember the last time I wore one of my sister’s nappies. I was aged six. It was the last one in a leftover pack of Ultra Pampers for Girls that she was no longer using. I put it on in the bathroom and looked at myself in the bathroom mirror. I remember thinking to myself “why are you doing this?” I did a wee in the nappy, which felt wonderful. I undid one tab and took it off. I kept the nappy in a box in my room.

I put it on again the next day and I remember liking the feeling of putting on the cool, already wet nappy. I wet it again and it didn’t leak. I then put it back in the box.

On the third day I went to do the same but it smelled very bad and I managed to dispose of it somehow without being found out.”

I remember her wetting the bed on occasion up to the age of 7 but this was on isolated occasions and not on a regular basis.

Nevertheless, each time it happened I would try to sneak some Pull-Ups (usually Peaudouce Up&Go ones, for some reason!) into the supermarket trolley next time we went.

My Mum would always put them back and I would suggest that we got them for my sister “in case she wets the bed again” but my Mum always calmly but firmly refused. I think she once said “No- it might make her lazy.”

My sister never usually said anything but looked down, embarrassed, when this happened in the supermarket.

When she had wet the bed my sister usually never said anything, she would just get up and get changed in the morning like nothing had happened, leaving her wet nightie or pyjamas on the wet patch. She was never told off for it, though.

Although we had a room each, for a few years we shared a bedroom (from when she was about 3 to 6, I think. I would have been 6 to 9 or thereabouts). I think it may have been my parents idea so she would stop sneaking into their bed if she had someone else in the room. We had single divan beds on each side of a reasonably large room, but it was hard to miss (sight and smell) if she had wet the bed.

Our sharing a room coincided briefly with the very last months of her wearing nappies to bed aged 3 and seeing her lying on her bed having her nappy put on (no changing mat as she was dry by day) filled me with jealousy.

I also have a memory of her when she was 3 and still wore nappies at night bouncing on my parents bed singing “I’m wearing a nappy! I’m wearing a nappy!” just before bedtime, which made me very jealous too.

She was quite articulate at that age and after our bath she asked my Mum why she had to wear a nappy at night instead of knickers. Mum told her that if she could keep her nappy dry every night then she could wear knickers instead. She was really excited about that.
I think within a week or two of this conversation she was no longer in nappies at night and my supply dried up. The last of hers I wore was the last in a pack of Ultra Pampers for Girls that I found shortly after she stopped wearing at night.

There is one other memory that springs to mind, but I think this was a little bit earlier than that. She was sitting on my parents bed, sole of foot to sole of foot, having just had her night nappy put on.

She pointed to the nappy and said “I’m doing a wee in my nappy!” My Mum was a bit cross and said she should have asked to use the potty (suggesting she was day trained at this point) and she would have to change her again now. My sister thought this was hilarious and couldn’t stop giggling all the way through her change.

Towards the very end of her wearing to bed she would actually ask to put the nappy on herself, open it, put it on the bed and lie on top of it but would get the tapes all wrong and my Mum would have to re-tape it for her.

That was probably only a week or two before she stopped wearing them altogether.

All these years later we still get to on very well (albeit live in different towns) but I have never mentioned any of these things as an adult and she has no idea about my nappy fixation.

Reactions: RandomDiaperLover, Lewis Badger, Blekyss and 1 other person
PCS said:
I just added this recollection to another thread and since this one has become something of a memory repository for me, I thought I’d add it here in the interests of completeness:

I don’t remember being the “role model” for my sister, but I certainly remember her potty training.

I think she was about 2 for the daytime and 3 for night-time.

There are some particular memories I have of that. I remember one weekend when she was put into knickers and was wearing a dress (probably easier to deal with than trousers. We were at one of those pub with a beer garden and outdoor play area type things and I had made some little friends.

We were hiding in some sort of plastic giant log thing and she ran over to us. I remember the sight of wee streaming down her legs and she was totally oblivious to what was happening. All of the other kids started going “urgh!!!!” loudly and I ran over to get our Mum who obviously collected her and changed her dress. I think that must have been very on in the toilet training as she had a nappy back on when she came back over to play (I don’t remember which type as I only remember seeing the white plastic on that occasion).

Another memory I have is when she was provided with training pants (this is still about a year or two before Pull-Ups were launched in the UK) and they were plastic pants with a terry lining.

I don’t think it was long after the first “accident” I mentioned as I don’t think it took her long to train in the day.

She had them on under blue dungarees and probably less than an hour after they went on she had a full in wee accident and they leaked causing a huge un-missable wet patch and tears.

I don’t remember them being used again after that as they were clearly hopeless in terms of performance.

When she was trained, she was still wet at night for about another year (which meant I still had a regular supply of nappies to swipe) and then I think her nappies just started to be dry in the morning sometime while she was three so she stopped wearing them.

I remember the last occasion I wore one of her nappies- it was the last one left over in an empty pack.

I’ve already told this story in my origin thread:

“I remember the last time I wore one of my sister’s nappies. I was aged six. It was the last one in a leftover pack of Ultra Pampers for Girls that she was no longer using. I put it on in the bathroom and looked at myself in the bathroom mirror. I remember thinking to myself “why are you doing this?” I did a wee in the nappy, which felt wonderful. I undid one tab and took it off. I kept the nappy in a box in my room.

I put it on again the next day and I remember liking the feeling of putting on the cool, already wet nappy. I wet it again and it didn’t leak. I then put it back in the box.

On the third day I went to do the same but it smelled very bad and I managed to dispose of it somehow without being found out.”

I remember her wetting the bed on occasion up to the age of 7 but this was on isolated occasions and not on a regular basis.

Nevertheless, each time it happened I would try to sneak some Pull-Ups (usually Peaudouce Up&Go ones, for some reason!) into the supermarket trolley next time we went.

My Mum would always put them back and I would suggest that we got them for my sister “in case she wets the bed again” but my Mum always calmly but firmly refused. I think she once said “No- it might make her lazy.”

My sister never usually said anything but looked down, embarrassed, when this happened in the supermarket.

When she had wet the bed my sister usually never said anything, she would just get up and get changed in the morning like nothing had happened, leaving her wet nightie or pyjamas on the wet patch. She was never told off for it, though.

Although we had a room each, for a few years we shared a bedroom (from when she was about 3 to 6, I think. I would have been 6 to 9 or thereabouts). I think it may have been my parents idea so she would stop sneaking into their bed if she had someone else in the room. We had single divan beds on each side of a reasonably large room, but it was hard to miss (sight and smell) if she had wet the bed.

Our sharing a room coincided briefly with the very last months of her wearing nappies to bed aged 3 and seeing her lying on her bed having her nappy put on (no changing mat as she was dry by day) filled me with jealousy.

I also have a memory of her when she was 3 and still wore nappies at night bouncing on my parents bed singing “I’m wearing a nappy! I’m wearing a nappy!” just before bedtime, which made me very jealous too.

She was quite articulate at that age and after our bath she asked my Mum why she had to wear a nappy at night instead of knickers. Mum told her that if she could keep her nappy dry every night then she could wear knickers instead. She was really excited about that.
I think within a week or two of this conversation she was no longer in nappies at night and my supply dried up. The last of hers I wore was the last in a pack of Ultra Pampers for Girls that I found shortly after she stopped wearing at night.

There is one other memory that springs to mind, but I think this was a little bit earlier than that. She was sitting on my parents bed, sole of foot to sole of foot, having just had her night nappy put on.

She pointed to the nappy and said “I’m doing a wee in my nappy!” My Mum was a bit cross and said she should have asked to use the potty (suggesting she was day trained at this point) and she would have to change her again now. My sister thought this was hilarious and couldn’t stop giggling all the way through her change.

Towards the very end of her wearing to bed she would actually ask to put the nappy on herself, open it, put it on the bed and lie on top of it but would get the tapes all wrong and my Mum would have to re-tape it for her.

That was probably only a week or two before she stopped wearing them altogether.

All these years later we still get to on very well (albeit live in different towns) but I have never mentioned any of these things as an adult and she has no idea about my nappy fixation.
You were very brave swiping the last nappy in a pack. I’d always get scared swiping if there weren’t many left, somehow thinking the adults would have counted and known one was gone. Taking the last one would have killed my nerves 🤣

billybobtombo said:
You were very brave swiping the last nappy in a pack. I’d always get scared swiping if there weren’t many left, somehow thinking the adults would have counted and known one was gone. Taking the last one would have killed my nerves 🤣
As she’d stopped wearing, I thought nobody would notice. As it happened, no-one did (or at least no-one said anything!)

Last edited:
PCS said:
As she’d stopped wearing, I thought nobody would notice. As it happened, no-one did (or at least no-one said anything!)
To my mind that would be all the more reason to leave it well alone 🤣 you were a brave kid / very determined to get your hands on some nappies 😁

billybobtombo said:
To my mind that would be all the more reason to leave it well alone 🤣 you were a brave kid / very determined to get your hands on some nappies 😁
I think I was just so used I doing it by then.

I would tend to take one, put it in on in the bathroom, wee in it and then take it off almost immediately before disposing of it in the nappy bin, so it was quite a quick exercise.

The last one I kept and used a couple of times but had to throw it away when it started to stink.

It was only after that that I started to pinch them from the houses of friends’ younger siblings.

I usually only took one but I remember one time when I took three.

I was about 7 and was round to play at the home of a friend who was the eldest of 3 siblings (brother, sister, brother). The youngest brother was 3.

The youngest brother had a single divan bed with storage underneath accessible by sliding plastic panels.

We were all playing hide and seek and I hid in that storage compartment. I found nappies which were Sainsbury’s brand in the orange striped pack that I’ve never been able to get a full picture of-

1634558197095.jpeg

Given how big they were I remember thinking “jackpot!”

Just before I left I snuck three home. One under each armpit and one down my back. Luckily it was winter and I had a thick coat on.

When I got home I ran upstairs and stuffed them down the side of my bed.

I had to use those in the bathroom rather than sleep in them as my sister was sharing the bedroom at that time, but they were just the biggest and best fitting of all the nappies I ever swiped.

Thick shiny rubbery plastic and a blue waistband. Heavenly for a seasoned 7 year old DL!

Little did I know in those pre-DryNites days, there were probably other kids of my age still wearing them to bed- it’s just no-one ever spoke of it!

Reactions: RandomDiaperLover and billybobtombo
It's very interesting to read about your story. It's a little saddening that you might've upset your sister even though it's way in the past.

Lewis Badger said:
It's very interesting to read about your story. It's a little saddening that you might've upset your sister even though it's way in the past.
Yeah, looking back I feel a bit bad about that. That’s 7/8 y.o. kids for you though!

I don’t think she’s ever held it against me- she’s never mentioned it and I doubt she even remembers.

I think all kids have teased their siblings at times. It was literally only a handful of times that it happened. She wasn’t a regular bed wetter. It was occasional.

Given we still talk several times a week I think we’ve made it through..

Reactions: Lewis Badger
1641674489512.jpeg
1641674623482.jpeg
Found a couple of pictures of the packaging of Tender Night nappies that were our go-to for quite a while as they were available in a local chemists when my partner and I were at University.

When did these stop being made?

Last edited:
PCS said:
View attachment 69656
View attachment 69657
Found a couple of pictures of the packaging of Tender Night nappies that were our go-to for quite a while as they were available in a local chemists when my partner and I were at University.

Still got a pack or more upstairs in a cupboard 😁
They used to be one of my regulars, back in the 90s, bought from a local outlet which was just down the road from the mill which made/imported them (complicated as there was more than one 'tender care' brand being made/imported locally, but I'm not sure if the adult types were both from the same maker/importer, but each was significantly different from the other).

Edit: I binned them, last year.

Last edited:
At last!

Thanks to @tiboonti , I can finally show you what the Boots Staydry Maxi Brief-Style adult nappies which were the first I ever wore (see first post in this thread).
1649540602439.jpeg

1649540643447.jpeg

1649540671233.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ChocChip, Angelapinks, Deleted member 56273 and 2 others
PCS said:
View attachment 69656
View attachment 69657

They're still manufactured for the Cyprus market, except the name has been changed to Self-Care by Nannys as of 2005.

0114010-8_L_L_L_L_L.jpg

Reactions: WillFord384
Back