Comfortable in adult nappies

Tenaman

Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I had bedwtting problems as a child and occasionaly into my teens. As a child I wore terry nappies and plastic pants at night up to about aged 6 and was put into them again at boarding school when my bedwetting started again aged 10. As a teanager, I tried to hide it and used a towel as a nappy and cut leg holes in plastic bags as plastic pants. I would probably wet only once a week and could wash a towel out in the bath. From 16 I was reliably dry bar the occasional night after one too many beers. Jump forward 15 years and a spinal injury left me wetting the bed every night and over the next years 35 years - and some four spinal operations later - my bladder problems increased to the point where I have no feeling of needing to go and am now wearing 'adult nappies' 24/7...and I could not be more comfortable with it. No drugs, no catheters that caused me regular urinary and kidney infections, just back in nappies and leading a normal and full life safe in the knowledge that I can manage my incontinence. I can generally go about four hours before needing a change - I use the TENA Slip Maxi Active fit all in one as I have found them to be the most absorbent and reliable and am fortunate to have them supplied free on the NHS. Some days worse than others and I do have the inevitable occasional leaks, e.g. when sleeping on my side. How do others feel about being back in 'nappies'?

Reactions: Diprs2, Napincolove, Constantlydamp and 2 others
I'm back in them no spinal injury but urinary IC from autoimmune inflammatory spinal arthritis and grade 1 retrolisthesis at lumbar L3/L4 didn't have a problem going back in them also I was a bed wetter when I was in first grade due to urinary opening too small had 3 surgeries to make opening bigger last one was 6 years ago might have to have another one done causing urinary retention with overflow IC. What does NHS mean?

Reactions: Diprs2 and surprise35
Betterdry or the printed version Crinklz are a very comfortable diaper and they are my diapers of choice to manage my IC issues 24/7

Reactions: Diprs2 and surprise35
Tenaman said:
I had bedwtting problems as a child and occasionaly into my teens. As a child I wore terry nappies and plastic pants at night up to about aged 6 and was put into them again at boarding school when my bedwetting started again aged 10. As a teanager, I tried to hide it and used a towel as a nappy and cut leg holes in plastic bags as plastic pants. I would probably wet only once a week and could wash a towel out in the bath. From 16 I was reliably dry bar the occasional night after one too many beers. Jump forward 15 years and a spinal injury left me wetting the bed every night and over the next years 35 years - and some four spinal operations later - my bladder problems increased to the point where I have no feeling of needing to go and am now wearing 'adult nappies' 24/7...and I could not be more comfortable with it. No drugs, no catheters that caused me regular urinary and kidney infections, just back in nappies and leading a normal and full life safe in the knowledge that I can manage my incontinence. I can generally go about four hours before needing a change - I use the TENA Slip Maxi Active fit all in one as I have found them to be the most absorbent and reliable and am fortunate to have them supplied free on the NHS. Some days worse than others and I do have the inevitable occasional leaks, e.g. when sleeping on my side. How do others feel about being back in 'nappies'?
I have been in nappies 24/7 for the last 10 years. It just feels normal to me now. In fact without a nappy I don't feel dressed.

• Love
Reactions: Rob110, Diprs2, Constantlydamp and 3 others
Tenaman said:
My story is so similar to yours. In UK, 59 years old. Bedwetter as a child and teen and kept in Terry nappies and plastic pants but had a lot of anguish over this. Even as a young adult in my first marriage I wouid have very occasional accidents so my wife insisted I wore a nappy at night just in case. This was in the late 80’s and 90’s by which time I had become aware of decent adult disposables such as Attends and TenaSlip.

In the mid 2000’s I went through a divorce and a lot of stress. I also suffered spinal pain and issues relating to severe disc prolapses at L4/5, L3/4 and L5/S1. The bedwetting got worse and I also started having daytime urge issues and OAB symptoms. I eventually had two lots of spinal surgery (fusion and disc removal) . My back is pain free now and mobility is good but I am left with very poor bladder sensation and I am inevitably wet every night. I decided and accepted the best way to manage this was nappies and I am happy with that approach. I am heavily wet at night and also occasionally have bowel accidents as I have IBS flare ups.

My new wife is so accepting and supportive, and to be honest I feel now that wearing a nappy at night (and in the day if I need to be safe) is the best way to deal with it. I actually find if comfortable and if I’m not wearing a nappy for bed it wouid feel like I wasn’t properly dressed.

Mostly I wear Tenaslip Ultima plastic backed active fit with plastic pants over the top but if at home and in better weather where washing and drying is possible without using tumble drier I wear cloth nappies. This varied from pin on using a folded towel boosted with folded baby Terry squares in middle to form a soaker pad, or my custom made cloth Velcro fastening pocket nappies made by a company called Snuggleblanks. These are so absorbant and comfy.

I doubt I will ever be out of nappies now. It’s part of who I am.

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2, Teddy02, Constantlydamp and 2 others
Wetshisbed said:
I have been in nappies 24/7 for the last 10 years. It just feels normal to me now. In fact without a nappy I don't feel dressed.
Ditto

Reactions: sport1
Babykisakitten said:
What does NHS mean?
National Health Service (in UK).

I wet my bed till I was in my early teens almost every night. That only stopped for a couple years and then returned and I had to start wearing at night again. Honestly I always loved being diapered and I was absolutely fine with it. Eventually I experienced some medical issues that left me completely urinary incontinent and had to start wearing 24/7. I am completely comfortable in my adult diapers and wouldn't want to go back to not wearing them.

Reactions: Diprs2, Wetshisbed, Karoq and 1 other person
I had my last accident about 13 or so.Then in my later on began wetting again my new wife and I discussed it and with a little resistance begin wearing diapers all over was a mental problem for a long time but have adjusted.

Reactions: Diprs2
Babykisakitten said:
What does NHS mean?
It's a government funded program in the UK in the US some can qualify for various incontinence products through The Medicaid System(usually based on what state you live in) in the USA most go by income and usually cheap or low quality but some states offer ok ones and some also have ways to get high quality ones but those states are rare and usually a lengthy process. Though technically free for the user it's not really free nothing is really free being government funded it's comes from say taxes or other sources. I will say and those from UK can correct me but it seems like even though it can be a pain that their system is alot better than say Medicaid they usually have a continence nurse who helps you get what you need and depending where you live in UK sometimes brands vary, where it can be a pain is say you prefer diaper style vs pullup if your mobile or not say in a wheelchair & only urinary ic they may not provide diapers right away almost like they know what you need & your opinion doesn't matter and you basically need to get what they provide and complain also sometimes you may not get enough like they may say you only need 4 per day but really need 8 so you need to pay out of pocket for others, another system in the states that provides ic products is the Veterans Hospital(this is a no brainer no disrespect but veterans deserve it for their servyto the country) but like some of the stories I have heard from UK even if you go in and be like I prefer a diaper style and this is what works sometimes you have to play their games of ok this diaper doesn't work & eventually get something that does or.close which in end costs alot more and a waste like they send you multiple cases of things that doesn't work, but like the UK NHS System every vet hospital provides different brands even those in same state so like think OP mentioned getting Tena Maxi someone else got Ultimate, but there are other brands.

What doesn't make sense to me and I never got a clear explanation is why are UK/EU diapers better and more features than what's usually offered in medical brands in US( but even for special needs UK had sizes 7&8 well before US) like Tena Maxi is so much better than US Tena Super US Attends don't compare to UK variants. Fortunately it's better than when I first became paralyzed as in the US you can get many more EU made diapers than you once were able to.(sorry to go on a tangent or rant)

Reactions: Constantlydamp and Diprs2
Tenaman said:
Grrrrreat!!!

Reactions: BABYTIGERCUB
I'm doing diapers 24/7 and possibilitie of having to self catheterization intermittently because of urinary retention it causes urine to back up in the kidneys and cause kidney damage I really don't want to go that route but if I want to keep my kidneys some what healthy at this time meds won't work I don't think there's many options and bladder infections are a problem with catheterization with either intermittently or indwelling.

Reactions: Diprs2
Babykisakitten said:
I'm doing diapers 24/7 and possibilitie of having to self catheterization intermittently because of urinary retention it causes urine to back up in the kidneys and cause kidney damage I really don't want to go that route but if I want to keep my kidneys some what healthy at this time meds won't work I don't think there's many options and bladder infections are a problem with catheterization with either intermittently or indwelling.
Is it painful to do that? I feel so bad for you.

@Babykisakitten I've been doing intermittent self-catheterization four times a day for years now and have only had one UTI. It happened recently since I started having intermittent fecal incontinence, so I'm being more careful now. The chances of infection drop significantly when you use self lubricated catheters that have a protective sheath for handling. Talk to your urologist or your durable medical supplier about getting samples to try before ordering. Don't use anything that exposes the entire catheter to the air before insertion.

Reactions: BABYTIGERCUB, Diprs2 and ltaluv
I had some extreme stress issues back in 2018 that led to me getting a divorce (very good thing in the end) and my bed wetting to come back in a major way. I had some diapers around anyway but had to buy way more as I wetting every night very severely. But then I also had some prostate issues that led me to me wearing a catheter for a few months and then needing diapers again at night anyway. The prostate issues have subsided a bit but the bed wetting stayed so it's diapers every night for me.
Frankly I am much happier in a diaper then waking up every hour or so or being stressed out all the time about a potential accident in bed. I sleep way better now, in fact way better than most of my life where I always worried about wetting the bed.
I have to wear some protection more and more in the day too now but it's happening slowly enough that it's helping my acceptance of being in diapers all the time.

Reactions: Diprs2, sport1, tiron101 and 2 others
Like you Tenaman I am in the UK and get Tena Maxi from the NHS but I get the proskin version. I wear at night with plastic pants and sometimes during the day if I know I will be sitting floor a long time e.g. cinema, theatre, church etc. I have a retracted penis so during the day I wear a pubic pressure urinal which is a body worn appliance and although it does not seem popular it really works and is also supplied by the NHS.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Karoq
surprise35 said:
Frankly I am much happier in a diaper then waking up every hour or so or being stressed out all the time about a potential accident in bed. I sleep way better now, in fact way better than most of my life where I always worried about wetting the bed.
I have to wear some protection more and more in the day too now but it's happening slowly enough that it's helping my acceptance of being in diapers all the time.
That's what I experienced too. I'd rather wet a diaper in my sleep than be afraid of it constantly and be unable to sleep.

With my developing daytime problems I'm learning the same lesson again. I still have a lot of remaining daytime continence, but the anxiety about having an accident is terrible any time I get bladder urges or sense that I have to go. Most of the time I've been having wet days and not worrying about it anymore. As sad as it seems, it's preferable to what I would deal with previously. It's not that bad, really. I'm used to wearing them almost anywhere now and I don't feel uncomfortable.

Reactions: Diprs2, Constantlydamp, Karoq and 1 other person
Mathew said:
I wet my bed till I was in my early teens almost every night. That only stopped for a couple years and then returned and I had to start wearing at night again. Honestly I always loved being diapered and I was absolutely fine with it. Eventually I experienced some medical issues that left me completely urinary incontinent and had to start wearing 24/7. I am completely comfortable in my adult diapers and wouldn't want to go back to not wearing them.
I am happy in nappies and wouldn't want life any other way now.

• Love
Reactions: Rob110, Diprs2, sport1 and 2 others
Tenaman said:
I am interested that you were nappied at boarding school. I too went to boarding school where I wet the bed ofter, but apart from the red rubber sheet, the sheets were changed as and when required. I was never teased about it and finally they put five of us bedwetters in a small dormitory of our own!
Also, I am impressed that the NHS give you nappies. I have been incontinent for years and the doctors have known about it for a while, certainly since I had a prostatectomy. No one has ever suggested that I should have nappies on the NHS and I have paid for all my nappies myself. I shall try to speak with a continence nurse and see if I can get some.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Constantlydamp
Teddy02 said:
I am interested that you were nappied at boarding school. I too went to boarding school where I wet the bed ofter, but apart from the red rubber sheet, the sheets were changed as and when required. I was never teased about it and finally they put five of us bedwetters in a small dormitory of our own!
Also, I am impressed that the NHS give you nappies. I have been incontinent for years and the doctors have known about it for a while, certainly since I had a prostatectomy. No one has ever suggested that I should have nappies on the NHS and I have paid for all my nappies myself. I shall try to speak with a continence nurse and see if I can get some.
I was lucky and I was referred by my doctor after he examined me and I was wearing a pull up. You can refer yourself to the Continence Service and I have found the Continence Nurses absolutely fantastic. If you do not want to wear a nappy during the day then they can prescribe a condom catheter or a pubic pressure urinal similar to the one I wear. I wear a nappy during the day if I know I will be sitting for a long time but for walking around, shopping, going to the garden centre then I wear the urinal. Looks gruesome but it works brilliantly.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Teddy02
Back