cloth vs disposables

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokenbiskit

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I've often wondered why some people prefer one over the other. I've seen people say cloth does nothing for them & others, like myself, don't much care for disposables. Maybe it has to do with what you grew up with. Or what 1st drew you to wearing diapers. Some times when I'm putting on my diapers when the pins are sliding through the diaper cloth. I get this feeling, almost deja vu, almost regression. I can definitely see the advantage of disposables. When your done in the trash it goes. Also messing cloth diapers is just that. If you want to wet your diapers multiple times without leaks, can't beat cloth.

Reactions: Cottontail and Deleted member 59082
Really? Because everything I try to use cloth they hold one big or two little pees and then leak. I can get the same in goodnites ….. but I don’t have the ones that need pins - too bulky. I have a few pocket type ones. But even at less than goodnites absorption level they are too big to conceal under anything

I'm sure the attraction to which kind of diaper is mostly based on what we wore when we were babies and toddlers. I wore cloth as a baby/toddler so that's what appeals to me. Disposable diapers are more convenient during the day though, so sometimes I wear disposables. Usually it's cloth though and that takes me back to my childhood.

Reactions: Cottontail
Cloth, first and foremost.

I was a cloth baby, and the diapers that my sister and I wore were kept around after we were potty trained. I played in those diapers (Curity prefolds) for more than ten years, and have never really moved on from them. When I think about diapers, the first thing that comes to mind is a Curity prefold. I can even remember my mom putting one on me at bedtime when I was three years old.

So, prefolds... It seems I'm stuck with them--the pins too, if I'm not careful. 🤭

I wear other kinds of cloth diapers too, and I have a parallel interest in disposables, especially the AB kinds with cute prints. And the new ABU Little Kings, especially! But it's hard to imagine anything replacing my cloth diapers. As @dogboy said, there seems to be a strong correlation between the diapers we were put in as children and the diapers we choose for ourselves as "adults." It makes sense. (To the extent that any of this makes sense, that is.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Freddie07601 and Lyric
KarmaBaby said:
Really? Because everything I try to use cloth they hold one big or two little pees and then leak. I can get the same in goodnites ….. but I don’t have the ones that need pins - too bulky. I have a few pocket type ones. But even at less than goodnites absorption level they are too big to conceal under anything
I use 1 contour diaper, 2 44x44 single layers, 1 36x36 double layer. First I smooth the contour out. Then fold the 44 in 1/4 length wise. The 36 is also in !/4. I lay them down the center of the contour forming a heavy soaker where it's needed. I put it on with pins & boigos. With a pair of plastic pants, I can get at least 3 wettings out of it. I do agree though, they would be difficult to conceal. If I had to wear diapers 24-7, I'd probably AM PM. AM disposables, PM cloth.

I was a disposable nappy baby, but have a 50/50 love of disposable and cloth. Although thinking about it, I'm more intune with the AIO pocket diapers I saw online growing up, and not the trifold, Terry squares that others mention 🤔

KarmaBaby said:
If you didn’t condition your new cloth diapers after getting them they will leak like a sieve. Cloth diapers are sprayed with “sizing”when they’re made. This is to prevent them from getting stained or soiled during the manufacturing, wholesale, and retail process. They need to be washed at least three times in hot water with detergent to remove this. The addition of a couple of cups of white vinegar will make removal more effective and “fluff” the cotton fibers making them more absorbent. The more cotton diapers are washed the more absorbent they become although the loss of material as they wear out does start to decrease their capacity to contain liquid.

I prefer disposables. I mainly had cloth as a baby and only had disposables on odd occasions like on holiday where cleaning wasn’t practical. I don’t remember wearing the cloth and only remember a vague occasion when I was older (say 4) and had a accident so was put to bed in one of my younger sisters disposables, as a punishment I think. I remember how good it felt to be padded again. I think this is why I like wearing nappies now and prefer disposables as remember the crinkle, smoothness, bulkiness and smell and the sound of the tapes being applied. Also the disposables are just so much more convenient just being able to throw them out and sure they hold a lot more with out leaks

I like the feel of cloth, but they haven’t held much. I wet a lot at night so I wear a MegaMax. I keep looking for that secret so I may try again.

dogboy said:
I'm sure the attraction to which kind of diaper is mostly based on what we wore when we were babies and toddlers. I wore cloth as a baby/toddler so that's what appeals to me. Disposable diapers are more convenient during the day though, so sometimes I wear disposables. Usually it's cloth though and that takes me back to my childhood.

dogboy said:

Maybe & in some cases your probably right. I think it's a lot more complicated then that. It might go towards why we wear diapers in the 1st place After all every one wore diapers at some point but not every one enjoys wearing diapers. The problem seems to be that it's hard to get a consensus. After all you can't just stand on a street & ask people about wearing diapers.

KarmaBaby said:
Yes, cloth diapers are bulky. Actually you could say that all diapers are bulky relatively speaking. But, it is the bulk that offers comfort and absorption. Pocket diapers or All-in-Ones for adults are never going to be as absorbent as a pre-fold cloth diaper with a pair of waterproof pants. I am always switching diapers for where I am during the day and what I am doing. From super bulky cloth and plastic pants at night to disposables while at work. They both work for me depending on my needs.

Reactions: ParaRomeo, Zeke, CheshireCat and 1 other person
paddedagain said:
I like the feel of cloth, but they haven’t held much. I wet a lot at night so I wear a MegaMax. I keep looking for that secret so I may try again.
Try using more diapers. Wash them 1st then find the right combination. You might enjoy finding that right combination of absorption vs bulk.

Reactions: Zeke
I will only wear cloth diapers and rubber pants. No disposables for this boy. My mother used Curiety diapers, the flat type for my bedwetting and once I left home for good she gave them to me to use. They were my go to diapers until they finally wore out. I continued to buy them until they no longer fit and found adult sized prefolds and have worn them ever since. Always use two diaper pins per side, and rubber pants. Love how I feel in my old fashioned baby diapers and rubber pants even now. They hold so much, I seldom leak and sleep so well.

Reactions: Zeke
I guess I prefer cloth for some reasons and disposables for others. They each have their place in my IC arsenal. As a bedwetter until my pre-teen years, I always wore cloth. My mom tried disposables on me once or twice (they were just gaining in popularity at the time) but I broke out in a rash, so they were off the table and I never wore them again until I was an adult. I love the comfort and snugness of a few layers of cloth, and cloth is what I am used to so it was natural to gravitate to cloth and plastic pants. In those days it was prefolds, but now I usually use contours. I also like disposables - maybe because I wanted to wear them as a kid and couldn't - and, frankly, I like the crinkle.

brokenbiskit said:
Try using more diapers. Wash them 1st then find the right combination. You might enjoy finding that right combination of absorption vs bulk.
Part of my issue is uncertainty as to how to wear cloth. Do you just fan one and make all of the others strips? How many do you use? I’m a side sleeper and wet heavily.

paddedagain said:
Part of my issue is uncertainty as to how to wear cloth. Do you just fan one and make all of the others strips? How many do you use? I’m a side sleeper and wet heavily.
Start with a contour diaper with insert from Changing Times Diaper Co. or Baby-pants dot com. They are much easier to use, especially to start, than pre-folds. You can get a couple extra boosters too. MegaMax is normally my choice for disposables, as I am a heavy wetter also. If I go with just cloth at night, I will start with one contour, add a second contour but reversed (the front goes in the back). Then I fold the wings from the second on (now in the front) toward the middle. This gives 3 additional layers in the "hot zone." Then I add a single booster in the middle. This handles about everything I can throw at it. I use regular size diaper pins with a plastic head. Some people like the larger 3 inch ones, but I have a hard time getting them through the fabric. Also, I use 2 pins on each side. First one is lower right, then lower left, then upper left, then upper right. You'll find what works for you.

For plastic pants, make sure to size them correctly, especially around the legs. You want them snug, but not too tight. I have not had much luck with the PUL pants.

I've wanted to try cloth more, but I have my dumb reasons why I haven't yet.

I feel like I wouldn't care for them mainly because of all the washing and constantly using hot water, which is by far my biggest electricity hog in the house. I've got a crazy red neck engineering idea to make a split system heat pump water heater though... basically hot water for 3-5 times cheaper. No idea why such a simple concept like this doesn't really exist, but is what it is! I guess whenever I actually build this, I'll have a good excuse to try cloth again.

The main reasons though... I'm just lazy and I love my M4's. Yea, yea, they're not what they used to be, etc. They still fit me great though.

RedStripeLvr said:
Start with a contour diaper with insert from Changing Times Diaper Co. or Baby-pants dot com. They are much easier to use, especially to start, than pre-folds. You can get a couple extra boosters too. MegaMax is normally my choice for disposables, as I am a heavy wetter also. If I go with just cloth at night, I will start with one contour, add a second contour but reversed (the front goes in the back). Then I fold the wings from the second on (now in the front) toward the middle. This gives 3 additional layers in the "hot zone." Then I add a single booster in the middle. This handles about everything I can throw at it. I use regular size diaper pins with a plastic head. Some people like the larger 3 inch ones, but I have a hard time getting them through the fabric. Also, I use 2 pins on each side. First one is lower right, then lower left, then upper left, then upper right. You'll find what works for you.

For plastic pants, make sure to size them correctly, especially around the legs. You want them snug, but not too tight. I have not had much luck with the PUL pants.
Thanks. I appreciate the details.

Bearcatz said:
I've wanted to try cloth more, but I have my dumb reasons why I haven't yet.

I feel like I wouldn't care for them mainly because of all the washing and constantly using hot water, which is by far my biggest electricity hog in the house. I've got a crazy red neck engineering idea to make a split system heat pump water heater though... basically hot water for 3-5 times cheaper. No idea why such a simple concept like this doesn't really exist, but is what it is! I guess whenever I actually build this, I'll have a good excuse to try cloth again.

The main reasons though... I'm just lazy and I love my M4's. Yea, yea, they're not what they used to be, etc. They still fit me great though.
Off topic. I have a Rheem heat pump hot water heater and love it. 81 gallons and cheap to run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back