Cloth Diapers?

JustMe said:
The latest washing machines have either a diaper washing mode or can receive a downloaded diaper mode which makes things easier. Nevertheless the key is to pre-soak, HOT wash, and then rinse at least 2 times; preferably 3-4 rinses to get all the soap and other stuff out. Dry should be hot; ideally line dry or finish in a hot sun if possible (the sun is best for killing off any remnant residue).
Excellent post! The only thing I would add to this is to do a "max-extract" spin cycle.

Reactions: Diprs2, PastelPadding and Edgewater
A suggestion:

Try the superabsorbent towels (from REI or other outdoor outfitter) for the diaper. Absorbs -- and holds and wicks -- an insane amount of pee.

Put it in a pocket diaper cover. Stretch pants over the cover.

The highest capacity Abena and Molicare disposables were flooding out for me about once a week. A couple of months ago, I thought of this combination. It's great, and less bulky.

Reactions: Diprs2, PastelPadding and Edgewater
PastelPadding said:
Seeing how much this is costing me, I'm wanting to look into cloth diapers as an alternative. Does anyone here use them? Does anyone know if there's a good guide online somewhere? In the research I've done, I should expect to need a pail to keep soiled ones in until I can launder them, but I see some places saying to use a wet pail and others saying to let them air out. Most of the stuff I've found is for infants, but I'm not that small. Does normal laundry detergent work or do I need to be more thorough? Should I tumble dry or line dry to make them last longer? What's up with vinegar? Does it need to be white vinegar or apple cider?

Disposables seem to be relatively easy, but I would like to save some money if I can. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
I use the threadedarmor and ecoable clothes when at home or not at work I should say. I still use disposable while work just easier and quicker to change. Don't really care for the lounge brief from threadedarmor but the other snap style and pull on is good. I also use those for diaper covers when at work helps if I leak a little.

Reactions: Diprs2, PastelPadding, EcoIncon and 1 other person
I’ve worn pin on rectangular prefold adult cloth for years with 4 prefold baby diapers inside. Roomy plastic pants with snug fit around legs and waist have been my nightly combination, my whole life. I love my cloth diapers as they are so comfortable and effective in handling my sleep wetting which is usually more than once a night. I’d wear them for daytime but because of the hassle I use quality disposables with a booster during the day. Cloth are also too bulky for daytime use.

• Thinking
Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and Joeysms
I've tried going 100% cloth, my ex was a serious tree hugger and she was willing to do the laundry, so i tried it and i'd say i got to about 90% there are times where disposables are just nearly required.

Like going on a trip, airplane, hotels, etc, that is tough with cloth, we tried that, and it was near inpossible.

Then there is just going out to the mall or dinner or even shoppng and needing a change, that is then requiring a wet bag and lots of bulky supplies to be with, which is tough.

In the end, with her even being a tree hugger, when out i used diaposables, and at home or the cabin used cloth, so was like 80% at that point.

Now, i'm like 25-50% cloth, depending on my staff on site and also drs appointments and alike.

My normal is usually 1 disposable per day normally, that is one megamax with a booster for overnight/sleeping.

Then if i'm just lounging around the house, then i'll use cloth most the time.

but, going to have a drs appt, then a megamax.

or, going shopping, or going to the chiropractor, or therapy, or clinic for tests, or just over to a friends, then its a megamax.

So, bottom line for me.

Megamax and booster is the norm anytime i use a disposable diaper.
I use one at night (more comfortable and for me less leaks)
I use one anytime i leave the house

So, if i leave to goto the drs and put on a disp;osable, i'm not going to rip it off and then put on a cloth, so i'll leave that in place,.

Now, i also can sometimes make the bathroom, and i can go around the side (leg hole) to pee, so dont have to take the diaper off per se. as a megamax doesnt really untape after being on for any length of time, which is a plus in my book.

So, if going anywhere i will be 1+ diapers in a day, as if i say goto store at 9pm i'll prob be fine to use for overnight then its one diaper only.
If home all day, will be 1 diaper a day

Your results will vary, but I go through about 45 or so megamax per month, the rest the time is cloth, a couple times a month with testing and such might end up with a hospital diaper in there or two.

But, i dont consider going 100% cloth to be viable for me and my way i want to handle my IC...I dont want to deal with cloth at the drs or at the chiro or accupuncture or traction or when doing testing or when out and about, as changing is one issue and bulk and such is another one when in the drs especially for chiro and such its sorta too much bulk for me to be comfortable in that situation

Reactions: Diprs2, EcoIncon and Edgewater
I wear a cloth pullup diaper with rubber pants for night time and around the house during the day, initially It does cost a bit more, however in the long run it is a big saving. they are very comfortable and absorbant. The white vinegar is for the wash to help kill bacteria.

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and Joeysms
As others have shared, I've used all sorts of cloth diapers through the years. I think many of us older ones in physical age prefer the feeling of cloth diapers as that is what we wore as babies.
Recently, I tried the new Omutsu Waddle diapers and they have become my all-time favorite!!! I can't believe their softness, thickness, and absorbency after a few washings. (cloth diapers need to be washed before use, and don't reach their full absorbent capacity until they are washed three or four times.)
Usually, I've used Leakmaster prefolds and two or three full-length doublers, and then plastic pants for nighttime. I may void 2-3 times in the night and have a pretty wet diaper in the morning. Yet, these Omutsu Waddle diapers, with two doublers, are barely damp on the outside by morning!
Although not normally needed, I've been using two diaper pins just to be sure the velcro doesn't let go accidentally in the night with my tossing and turning.
I live alone, so I will put two or three wet nighttime diapers in my wash machine that I fill with warm water. When I'm ready to wash them, I spin the dirty water out and then wash them in hot water. My water isn't very hard, and I haven't found the need to add vinegar or take a lot of extra steps. But it takes nearly two hours of drying time to dry this amount of diapers in my dryer. I'm now thinking of putting up a line to air dry and see how that works for me.
Good luck sorting out all this information.

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2, Joeysms and Edgewater
Back 45 years ago, both diapers and plastic pants was the only choice as disposables were junk and hose a bag was (at least for me) a nonstarter. Hotels were setup to handle clients that wore diapers and/or their infants. Traveling today using cloth diapers is just not practical as the World has switched to disposables.

I wear NorthShore MegaMax and their Trifecta Diaper Cover at night and cloth diapers with NS Trifecta Diaper Cover during the day with occasional NS Pull-up ons.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Bigbabybret
babyscotty37 said:
As others have shared, I've used all sorts of cloth diapers through the years. I think many of us older ones in physical age prefer the feeling of cloth diapers as that is what we wore as babies.
Recently, I tried the new Omutsu Waddle diapers and they have become my all-time favorite!!! I can't believe their softness, thickness, and absorbency after a few washings. (cloth diapers need to be washed before use, and don't reach their full absorbent capacity until they are washed three or four times.)
Usually, I've used Leakmaster prefolds and two or three full-length doublers, and then plastic pants for nighttime. I may void 2-3 times in the night and have a pretty wet diaper in the morning. Yet, these Omutsu Waddle diapers, with two doublers, are barely damp on the outside by morning!
Although not normally needed, I've been using two diaper pins just to be sure the velcro doesn't let go accidentally in the night with my tossing and turning.
I live alone, so I will put two or three wet nighttime diapers in my wash machine that I fill with warm water. When I'm ready to wash them, I spin the dirty water out and then wash them in hot water. My water isn't very hard, and I haven't found the need to add vinegar or take a lot of extra steps. But it takes nearly two hours of drying time to dry this amount of diapers in my dryer. I'm now thinking of putting up a line to air dry and see how that works for me.

We actively hang my diapers on a clothesline especially on Sunny days or any day that there is a breeze. FYI: If you are line drying inside or outside without a breeze you may need to put them in the dryer to take the stiffness out of them. A diaper dried outside is to enjoy!!

Reactions: Diprs2 and babyscotty37
babyscotty37 said:
line drying comes in handy during the warm weather months. once maybe a quick short run in the dryer to fluff them up and fold.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
cloth is a shaving and quite comfort for sleep and just hanging out around home. not a great option for out and about and being highly active. i have worn various types of cloth diapers pin on pre-fold and cotton diaper squares, all in one velcro, and pocket diapers. pocket diapers would be i best for out and about and active. one does need to do wash regularly. If you handle your own diapering/changes and pin would be a struggle i like the Dependeco brand cloth diapers they fasten with velcro. they are great and as needed one can add boosters.

Reactions: EcoIncon and Edgewater
Back